Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to turn off autotargeting

DawgdocDawgdoc Member UncommonPosts: 41

One thing that I am very disappointed in with regards to ESO is the targeting system.

It is WAY too liberal. I can have my crosshairs completely off of the target and yet arrows/spells/etc still hit it. Im talking about MILES away from the target and the spell/arrow curves to hit the closest targetable object.

I think this takes away from the game substantially or at least for me it does. If it isnt the targeting then there are hitbox issues with the hitbox being 10x the character model or more!

Anyone else noticing this or have a suggestion?

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    They had to do it to make it viable on consoles.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The game has soft targeting that you cannot turn off.  Likewise, only moves that state they will do an AE can hit multiple targets.  This isn't really a full action combat game like TERA, its more akin to Neverwinter.  

• DawgdocDawgdoc Member UncommonPosts: 41

Wow.

To be honest, this almost kinda kills this game for me :(

I HATE games that do not reward player skill, and this "soft targeting" is garbage IMO :(

Just...wow....so disappointed :(

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

As mentioned the game is still a TAB Target game!

Your reticle is only to initially lock onto your target and reflect los for abilities. You are still locked onto the first thing you attack unless you attack again aimed at another target. It is very wise to learn to only reticle target when a target is clear and easy to aim at. If targets are overlapped use TAB to tab through all targets in los.

It is still a RPG game. It is not designed for the FPS twitch crowd and the majority of players would not want that system. RPGs are about your character and IT'S ability to fight ... not yours. The hybrid system allows for some action and skill but does not place your entire fighting ability into the player's hands. It is not that genre and should not be.

*edited for spelling*

You stay sassy!

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Your reticle is only to initially lock onto your target and reflect los for abilities. You are still locked onto the first thing you attack unless you attack again aimed at another target. It is very wise to learn to only reticle target when a target is clear and easy to aim at. If targets are overlapped use TAB to tab through all targets in los.

It is still a RPG game. It is not designed for the FPS twitch crowd and the majority of players would not want that system. PG games are about your character and IT'S ability to fight ... not yours. The hybrid system allows for some action and skill but does not place your entire fighting ability into the player's hands. It is not that genre and should not be.

Wow finally some one beside me understands it is still a tab target game. I was getting worried lol.

It is still a RPG game. It is not designed for the FPS twitch crowd and the majority of players would not want that system. RPGs are about your character and IT'S ability to fight ... not yours. The hybrid system allows for some action and skill but does not place your entire fighting ability into the player's hands. It is not that genre and should not be.

*edited for spelling*

All I can say in response is....so sad :(

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

What we moaning about now?

It's not a FPS you know...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Bad Targeting & Combat System, crappy skill animations and the lack of Group PvE content, turned me of from TESO.  Hope everyone that spend money on it having good time though.
  • NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Dawgdoc

One thing that I am very disappointed in with regards to ESO is the targeting system.

It is WAY too liberal. I can have my crosshairs completely off of the target and yet arrows/spells/etc still hit it. Im talking about MILES away from the target and the spell/arrow curves to hit the closest targetable object.

I think this takes away from the game substantially or at least for me it does. If it isnt the targeting then there are hitbox issues with the hitbox being 10x the character model or more!

Anyone else noticing this or have a suggestion?

This is what happens when ppl that play FPS with 20ms latency whine for mmo's to be aim based and they get a design that caters for ppl all over the world with latency up to 300ms. 

Next we'll be having the no need for tanks or healers debate because AI can do it better and then cry the bosses are made dumber than a rock. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

The latency will kill any hope of people not complaining when you place too much reliance on aiming. These games require a lot of character customization that they want others to see how cool they look the colors ,armour and weapons and world detail all going on at the same time you are aiming to kill something. In an FPS you do not have to load so much so the latency is a lot less. You should go play an FPS if you want that.

• wangkomwangkom Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Bad Targeting & Combat System, crappy skill animations and the lack of Group PvE content, turned me of from TESO.  Hope everyone that spend money on it having good time though.

Don't forget the horrible character animations aswell or for that matter just the graphics in general, it really isn't anything to be all hyped about.

• AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46
    This Is GREAT news! I was going to pass on this game because i thought it was FPS Targeting like on consoles! Thanks for the info!
  • ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45

RPGs are about your character and IT'S ability to fight ... not yours.

Well said.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

This isnt an RPG. Its an MMO, and advertised as a competitive/PvP mmo at that.

I think its beyond disturbing that its tab target or target assisted. It completely and utterly ruins the game. For those of you who have claimed latency/blah blah blah issues you are outright ignorant. MANY mmos have merged FPS target style with  MMO gameplay in a competitive setting and done so successfully.

Doubt ill be playing this much longer. Already bored and the 5 day headstart isnt even over yet.

• SjorAndSkySjorAndSky Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Dawgdoc

This isnt an RPG. Its an MMO, and advertised as a competitive/PvP mmo at that.

I think its beyond disturbing that its tab target or target assisted. It completely and utterly ruins the game. For those of you who have claimed latency/blah blah blah issues you are outright ignorant. MANY mmos have merged FPS target style with  MMO gameplay in a competitive setting and done so successfully.

Doubt ill be playing this much longer. Already bored and the 5 day headstart isnt even over yet.

Once I read you saying a TES title isn't an RPG, I realized by you quitting, your doing the game a service. One less out of touch with reality whiner makes for a better community in the long run. Please do us all a favor and keep true to your words.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

It is still a RPG game. It is not designed for the FPS twitch crowd and the majority of players would not want that system. RPGs are about your character and IT'S ability to fight ... not yours.
    Thats not what RPGs are.

An RPG is a "Role Playing Game", RPG has absolutely ZERO bearing on actual gameplay.

You can have an RPG with skill based combat. Just because you are not skillful dont try and redefine what an RPG is to suit your needs.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

You could try Tera or DCUO. There is Vindictus these games might satisfy you.

Chamber of Chains
  • DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

My issue with "auto-targeting" is with healing.

I am a dedicated healer, I only have heal skills on my ability bar.

-----------------

So I use the "instant" heal, which upgraded, it heals 1 target, and then 2 other targets?

...Well...MY issue is...when I am in PvP, or in a big NPC fight with say 10+ people...when I put crosshairs over a wounded teammate to heal them, and clickt he button, IT DOES NOT HEAL THEM.  (ok SOMETIMES it does), but majority of the time, I see my healing streams going behind me, or to the side...to anyone but the person I have my crosshairs on.

So...Joe Melee is fighting a few melees in front of me.  I run up and click my single target heal looking right at him...and it heals people behind me. So I am like well fudge...i click it again, doesn't heal him again, heals other random people..so I am like well fudge...let me try my regen on him...I click regen...it regens me and some dude behind me...

Joe Melee dies.

I am pissed because my heals wouldn't heal him, but instead go to whatever the fluck target it feels like around me.

Sooo annoying.  Also happens in dungeons too sometimes...try to heal Joe Melee who is tanking the boss, and it heals Joe DPS who didn't move out of the red indication ring.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• SjorAndSkySjorAndSky Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

It is still a RPG game. It is not designed for the FPS twitch crowd and the majority of players would not want that system. RPGs are about your character and IT'S ability to fight ... not yours.

An RPG is a "Role Playing Game", RPG has absolutely ZERO bearing on actual gameplay.

You can have an RPG with skill based combat. Just because you are not skillful dont try and redefine what an RPG is to suit your needs.

I agree completely, and I for one prefer action based combat. However lets not pretend it takes no skill to be successful in this game. (And don't allow me to confuse you, I'm terrible at PVP)  Whether its action based, or soft target, or full on tab target, those who possess the most skill, or the most numbers win.

Just because you are not skillfull in tab target, don't try and define action combat as the only "Skill Based" combat

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Well that's not good. Meh, I'll just continue to try to aim at my targets as if it meant something. I'm pretty good at suspension of disbelief. Sucks to know that, though.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66

Years back the following statement may not be true...

There is no excuse for purchasing a game without knowing its fundamental combat system.

The OP is 100% at fault for a bad purchase.  I can only relate this to buying an automatic car and expecting it to have a clutch.  The information is readily available and yet you didn't take the time to read it.  You further insult yourself by complaining on these forums which proves that you have the ability to do such research.

Lazy.