Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

During every new MMO Launch there always seem to be a mass of people complaining about people leveli

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

During every new MMO Launch there always seem to be a mass of people complaining about people leveling too fast. But WHY are they complaining?

How does the speed in which somebody else levels and play the game, have any effect on how you play the game?

You would also reach max level at some point if you keep playing,

And likely will reach max level before any other new comers join the new MMO game as well. So are they also suppose to complain about you being at max level before them as well?

I dont understand why this cycle continues, with people complaining about other people leveling too fast. Worry about your own play style. Stop trying to get EXP and leveling speed nerfed to ruin everybody else experience.

if you want slow leveling, then just level slow. Nobody forces you to not level slow if you dont want to.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

People see it as an insult to the game and to the players. Haters use it as fuel to suggest the game is low on content, which is never really proves. Some people see it as an exploit, one that must be removed or the temptation to use it is too great.

This post was obviously inspired by a latest release and all I have to say about that is I'm level 12 and I've played about 16 or so hours. I don't even notice I've levelled a lot of the time because I'm so distracted with all the other things to do.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

I personally don't care how fast someone wants to level or play the game, however

A large group (not all of course) of the people who level that fast proceed to turn around and complain and spread negativity about said game because they are now bored since they blew through all of the content. That I can definitely understand disliking as it's plain stupid.

That's really the only reason I can see disliking someone hitting max level ASAP, now if you do it and you are fine with the result, then by all means, enjoy it :D

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I dont really care, as long as there is enough content to keep me casually happy...

But...  i would never abuse game mechanics to kill a game for me...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

For the same reason people complain that MMOs are too easy, yet always take the path of least resistance, and watch videos of all the raids / dungeons / bosses.

For the same reason PvPers have arenas, battlegrounds, or designated areas in the world itself to play their trade, yet constantly complain that there are people they can't attack, because they choose not to enter those areas.

For the same reason people refuse to take initiative and form their own groups, then complain that the game doesn't force anyone to group up.

For the same reason people turn off all the in-game chat channels, then complain that there's no socialization.

For the same reason people complain that there's nothing to do, yet refuse to take part in crafting, PvP, raiding, roleplaying, or any number of in-game activities.

For the same reason people complain about a lack of sandbox MMOs, yet refuse to support any developer which makes an attempt at creating one, usually for trivial reasons.

What is this reason?

Hell if I know. If you figure it out, please tell me, because I'm just as confused as you. Maybe it's just because people are assholes? Sounds like a plausible enough explanation to me.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Some MMOs have achievements for being in the first N players to accomplish something on a server, so they are explicitly making it a race.  But really it's a race anyway.  People who get to higher combat levels first have advantages in either PvP or popularity as a PvE dungeon party member; they are on the path to fame.  People who get to higher crafting levels first are going to make money from crafting items that aren't going to turn a profit at all once there's more competition.  They are on the path to wealth, which again can lead to popularity and fame.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

One of the things I have noticed and it's at or very close to 100% of the time.

Nobody complains until after they reach level cap. Then it becomes a problem. So it's a do as I say don't do as I do complaint.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Because that's MMO.

We have many here ... want to play MMORPG as single player game

but it don't change the fact that major of people who search for MMOs (RPG) are people who arm for playing with group and want being part of a (game) community .

As some player leveling to fast or the pace of game are fast and with ... uhm ... not right design , ...

the community fall apart because large difference between levels and cause complaining since people wasn't get what they want when they buy (or download) the MMO (game).

And for people who blame for players search for easy way.

In the first place , leave the holes for player easy to get pass the challenge are designer's flaw of weak design.

They simple allow player to get past the wall .

IF you play a hell bullets shooting game , you will see that even if you spend days to watch video and read walkthrough , it still impossible for you to get pass the stage with you skill and learn to play.

Easy game simple because weak design

or intent to create easy game because easy game sell well but don't last long , so they can abandoned old game and make another same kind of game and get easy money from it .

But it don't work well with MMOs(rpg) lol.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    "you leveled super fast and missed everything. haha joke's on you. Oh wait but now you're ahead of me in gear, I'm behind the curve, can't get into pugs and will need a lot of time to catch up. ITS YOUR FAULT!!!"

Ahahahah nice point :)

Imo everybody cares even if they are not admit it. They get nervous when they see ppl who start playing the same day with them, be already max lvl and start dungeons, raids, arenas, endgame pvp or whatever else a game has to offer as endgame content. 

Ppl also hates to see others having faster gearing progression. They feel they have to catch the train in some way. They don't want to stay far behind.

Some others think its an abuse of the in game economy, because everyone sells more expensive the mats, the items and the gear when a new game or an expansion comes out.

Anyway i m not going to say if its right or wrong to thing that way. I m saying its in the human nature :)

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Yeah well, I guess try fighting a lvl 50 character with anything less. You'll have your answer. In the end its all about the "endgame" and the "endgame" is Cyrodill. Eventually you'll get there and will get punished for not grinding enough. That's just how it is
  • geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93

Because ppl like me want a game in which you have to find a way to lvl effectively. Reading quests is boring, I'd rather play sp games for story. The fun is in exploring and hunting for things to loot that customize appearance or stats. But there is obviously no need for that in this game. (Let alone the option of doing so) When there is also no challenge in getting to max lvl (Let's at least agree that there is no challenge if you can finish within 24 hours, and I'd go so far as to say say within a month).

So ppl get frustrated, what are we to do? Just read through everything? Find some kind of easter egg and references? Look for fun in places where you will never find it... I wonder where you find fun, maybe in leveling with friends and have a good time that way? Sure, I agree this game is for you but that's not for me. 

And so I come to the conclusion that I was right not to try this game. (assuming this is another mmorpg with meaningless pvp)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by geel

Because ppl like me want a game in which you have to find a way to lvl effectively. Reading quests is boring, I'd rather play sp games for story. The fun is in exploring and hunting for things to loot that customize appearance or stats. But there is obviously no need for that in this game. (Let alone the option of doing so) When there is also no challenge in getting to max lvl (Let's at least agree that there is no challenge if you can finish within 24 hours, and I'd go so far as to say say within a month).

So ppl get frustrated, what are we to do? Just read through everything? Find some kind of easter egg and references? Look for fun in places where you will never find it... I wonder where you find fun, maybe in leveling with friends and have a good time that way? Sure, I agree this game is for you but that's not for me. 

And so I come to the conclusion that I was right not to try this game. (assuming this is another mmorpg with meaningless pvp)

But what does that have to do with other people leveling faster than you?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    "you leveled super fast and missed everything. haha joke's on you. Oh wait but now you're ahead of me in gear, I'm behind the curve, can't get into pugs and will need a lot of time to catch up. ITS YOUR FAULT!!!"

Imo everybody cares even if they are not admit it. They get nervous when they see ppl who start playing the same day with them, be already max lvl and start dungeons, raids, arenas, endgame pvp or whatever else a game has to offer as endgame content. 

Ppl also hates to see others having faster gearing progression. They feel they have to catch the train in some way. They don't want to stay far behind.

Some others think its an abuse of the in game economy, because everyone sells more expensive the mats, the items and the gear when a new game or an expansion comes out.

Anyway i m not going to say if its right or wrong to thing that way. I m saying its in the human nature :)

But isnt that how new players a month from now will feel. Or what about the players that didnt get into early access?

Not everybody levels at the same pace. What about the guy that AFK most of the time. He may level slow. Should others that arent AFK also be punished because they level faster than the AFK dude?

It has no effect on you.

Economy changes regardless. New players that join the game late, can deal with it, why cant you?

Gearing? again New players that join the game late also have to deal with this, so why cant you?

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

Because that's MMO.

We have many here ... want to play MMORPG as single player game

but it don't change the fact that major of people who search for MMOs (RPG) are people who arm for playing with group and want being part of a (game) community .

As some player leveling to fast or the pace of game are fast and with ... uhm ... not right design , ...

the community fall apart because large difference between levels and cause complaining since people wasn't get what they want when they buy (or download) the MMO (game).

And for people who blame for players search for easy way.

In the first place , leave the holes for player easy to get pass the challenge are designer's flaw of weak design.

They simple allow player to get past the wall .

IF you play a hell bullets shooting game , you will see that even if you spend days to watch video and read walkthrough , it still impossible for you to get pass the stage with you skill and learn to play.

Easy game simple because weak design

or intent to create easy game because easy game sell well but don't last long , so they can abandoned old game and make another same kind of game and get easy money from it .

But it don't work well with MMOs(rpg) lol.

I agree. It's the designers who eventually decides how fast your players can go through the content they created.

There's always someone who has more time to play and who can figure things out quicker than you, and thus get to max level sooner than you, but it's poor game design if it's made possible to do without the other people.

Oftentimes i read about brick walls being in these games, and how players bump on them and quit in frustration. Imo, we need these brick walls sometimes, at least to prevent your players to rush to max level. This could be done f.ex. making crafting professions dependant on other professions, and to upgrade your gear you would need at least one more person's profession to supply mats.

Grinding mobs is the traditional way to go for max level asap, but if a game is tuned and designed properly, you shouldn't be able to keep doing this all the way to the top. At some point mobs should become so tough and hard hitting, that you really need an upgrade weapon and other gear. And this is where you should need other people; either for grouping, or supplying mats for your weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, alchemy, etc..

Unfortunately, this is not how these games are designed, and plowing through content to max level will not be even uncommon. They are meant to be kind of fast food games like iixviiiix said. I hope some day we'll see a properly designed mmo, that doesn't encourage to play it like a SP game.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

This proves mmo players are retarded.

If they don't get to be max lvl instantly they cry and moan but when the developers listen and make it easier they also find a reason to cry about it.

My opinion? Bring back lvling Lineage2 style.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

But isnt that how new players a month from now will feel. Or what about the players that didnt get into early access?

Not everybody levels at the same pace. What about the guy that AFK most of the time. He may level slow. Should others that arent AFK also be punished because they level faster than the AFK dude?

It has no effect on you.

Economy changes regardless. New players that join the game late, can deal with it, why cant you?

Gearing? again New players that join the game late also have to deal with this, so why cant you?

Yes, players after a month or two will feel the pressure to catch those who are max lvl and play end game content. That's why most ppl gets the game in time, either pre ordering or buying in the first few days after release. That's why ppl get boosted by friends and guilds, either its XP or Gear boost.

90% of potential player base are in game in between early access and first month. Why do you think ppl do this? Because they cant wait a month or two, even if they save money from a possible sale offer or even avoid a bad launch of a game? No. They want to be there from start. To follow the pace. They don't want left behind. They want to be those who will wait others, no those who will be waited by others.

Again i m saying i don't judge if its right or wrong to think this way, but its in the human nature.

Btw i don't have any problem to deal with it.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

It has no effect on you.

Maybe he thinks simply dealing with it is stupid and not fun and such person would want a game that is fun perhaps? 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Domoto
    I personally don't care how fast someone wants to level or play the game, howeverA large group (not all of course) of the people who level that fast proceed to turn around and complain and spread negativity about said game because they are now bored since they blew through all of the content. That I can definitely understand disliking as it's plain stupid.That's really the only reason I can see disliking someone hitting max level ASAP, now if you do it and you are fine with the result, then by all means, enjoy it :D
    That's pretty much my take on it, too.

There is one other reason I can think of. Developers are now scrambling to push out more upper level content for these players instead of working on the leveling experience, itself. Most of their resources are now geared to "end game activities."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I made this post a few weeks back:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6234713#6234713

Sums it up.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Because they are jealous someone levels faster than they did.

/thread

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

Many gamers derive their self-esteem from both their gaming accomplishments and their gaming affiliations.  Being fans of a game that is considered good makes them feel good about themselves.  People leveling quickly, as others have said, gives the impression of a game that is somehow poorly designed, and therefore is a blow to the self-esteem of these players.  Even beyond that, they feel they are now "behind," and to the extent that their gaming accomplishments and the associated prestige in the gaming community that comes with them are important to them, fast levelers are an obstacle in letting these players feel good about themselves.

I am not a fast leveler.  I'm an explorer, quest text reader, and completionist.  But I always get a kick how fans of a game insist, as if their entire being depends on it, that players cannot cap in X days.  There will almost always be players who will embrace that challenge and figure out how to do it.  And if that's what those particular players consider fun, I have zero problem with it.  I actually enjoy reading/watching how it was done.  Does it bother me when I'm struggling to get my hands on something that other players have that I want?  Sure.  But by and large my fun is not relative to the accomplishments of other players.  I play to enjoy the game for what it is.  Then I come to places like here and criticize it for what it is not.  :P

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

During every new MMO Launch there always seem to be a mass of people complaining about people leveling too fast. But WHY are they complaining?

How does the speed in which somebody else levels and play the game, have any effect on how you play the game?

You would also reach max level at some point if you keep playing,

And likely will reach max level before any other new comers join the new MMO game as well. So are they also suppose to complain about you being at max level before them as well?

I dont understand why this cycle continues, with people complaining about other people leveling too fast. Worry about your own play style. Stop trying to get EXP and leveling speed nerfed to ruin everybody else experience.

if you want slow leveling, then just level slow. Nobody forces you to not level slow if you dont want to.

Just take your own advise. Don't worry about people complaining. Seeing a lot of it can be obnoxious, so filter it out.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I honestly do not believe the majority of people thatplay these games care two figs about what someone else is doing or how fast fast they are leveling.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Naowut

This proves mmo players are retarded.

If they don't get to be max lvl instantly they cry and moan but when the developers listen and make it easier they also find a reason to cry about it.

My opinion? Bring back lvling Lineage2 style.

That was something I liked about L2 back in its early days.  Players didn't really talk about max level much.  It was too far away.  You only looked forward to your next upgrade (and dreaded what it was going to cost).

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

I think it has a lot to do with HOW those players get to max level so quickly, and not the fact that they've done it, that's the problem.

In most MMOs, players that get to max level in the fastest time possible on launch are not using standard game play techniques. The mechanics they utilise are often only present because they cannot be easily accounted for until they are demonstrated. That being said, the methods used are often limited to a single method of utilising an unintended consequence of a games mechanic. That's a very important definition; we most often refer to these sorts of "extra-mechanical" methods as... exploits.

The most recent example of this sort of method has of course been in The Elder Scrolls Online, where the first level 50 and Emperor in the game used a loophole in the levelling system that allowed an alliance of guilds to bolster a single players progression beyond the natural levelling curve. Unsurprisingly, that's how MOST players the reach cap first do it in MOST MMOs that come out. Some developers work to make this as difficult as possible, whilst others ignore it for the anomaly that it is. And it is an anomaly; after the initial release phase, no one uses that sort of method to level a character. There's no value to it post-release phase.

At that point, it's a matter of culture. Some developers will turn to GM action to control such methods, banning entire guilds in the name of fairness. Others will label it a feet of organisation and dedication, and praise those that manage to muster the forces to make it work.

Whether it is an exploit worth punishing or a valid way to compete for "first to cap" prestige is ultimately up to individual development studios. Personally I don't care, but I can see why some would. And in some games it does indeed devalue the levelling experience, and the sense of competition between players. The levelling curve has long been inconsequential in most games. With that in mind, first to 50 means little. But if there is ever a game where levelling means something again, and it isn't just a rush to cap, then I would probably prefer those exploiting such loopholes be treated as cheaters.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by coretex666

Why is the leveling part of the game even there when you can finish it in 2 days?

Hmm ... in what game you can finish leveling in 2 days? I think the fastest leveling record in WoW is like 6+ days played .. and that is playing 24/7.

If a SP RPG game can have content for like 80 hours, I don't see why it is so bad if MMORPGs also have 80 hours of leveling content. In fact, you will be getting a steal since most MMOs are now F2P.