Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slow crafting question

AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Hello,

I just got a question regarding crafting. Although I serached the inet I couldn't really find an answer. So maybe someone here can help me out.

I am currently lvl 10. I try to level the crafting skills also, but I am habing a hard time to keep crafting level at the same as adventurer level. For provisioning, alchemy it's ok. It's mainly blacksmithing, woodworking, leartherworjking which cause trouble.

So I am specializing on blacksmithing but just managed to raise that one to level 6 now. My experience so far is, that the only efficient way to level blacksmithing is NOT to craft but just deconstruct weapons/armors which drop or you get as quest rewards.

The xp from e.g. grinding iron daggers is so abysmal it takes a lot of resources (whcih is not the issue as I can get them) but also a lot of money. And as I said, crafting xp is next to zero.

So am I doing something wrong here or is deconstructing of drops really the more or less only efficient way to level e.g. blacksmithing ?

P.S. I read you get more xp by deconstructing stuff other crafters make but didn't test that.

Thanks for your answer !

Comments

• SkullESkullE Member Posts: 9

Yea i've seen the same thing. Not sure if its a question of numbers crafted or certain ones gain more xp. 

But i'm ignoring the numbers for now and just going with it. 

I'm level 9 and was able to craft level 8 sword and improve it to green (80% chance) all with blacksmithing at 4.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its a feature, crafting is slow and takes time to level, they dont want everyone to max out in all crafts....  If you want to be a blacksmith, trade your leather, cloth and wood for iron... Thenyou have plenty resources to level a single craft...

upgrading items is also a burden.... It generally takes more resources then you have...  

They are trying to make crafters rare..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Thanks for your replies !

I don't mind slow crafting. It just feels a little strange when the best way to level crafting is actually not to craft.

It's obviously just more efficient (time and money wise) just to farm mobs for drops than to collect many (and I really mean a lot, hundreds won't do the job) resources and spend a lot of money which is rare in a new game.

But anyway, I can adapt to it. ;)

• AbardomasAbardomas Member Posts: 159

You do get more xp by deconstructing stuff other crafters make

• Castielle101Castielle101 Member CommonPosts: 81

Pretty good guide here written by one of the users on the official forums.

Cas

Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Anthur

Thanks for your replies !

I don't mind slow crafting. It just feels a little strange when the best way to level crafting is actually not to craft.

It's obviously just more efficient (time and money wise) just to farm mobs for drops than to collect many (and I really mean a lot, hundreds won't do the job) resources and spend a lot of money which is rare in a new game.

But anyway, I can adapt to it. ;)

Also,

Don't forget, just because your Blacksmithing is at 6, doesn't mean you can't make level appropriate gear. All you have to do is pump more resources into it. With the exception of a few sweet PvP drops, I've crafted most of the gear I'm using. Including my sword and my bow.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

A level 1 crafter can make gear for up to L14 adventurers. To make gear for L15-L24, you'll need to raise that crafting skill to level 5 and spend a skillpoint. That's really not that hard to do, but keeping it going past making gear up to L24 will be increasingly difficult.

All those deconstructed loot drops are items that could potentially be sold to other players.

Crafting is primarily constrained by the drop rate of the tempers needed for upgrades and the gems for traits. Anyone can make gear up to L50 by spending only 5 skillpoints in each crafting profession. But that vanilla crafter will have far less tempers and gems incoming, so their efficiency will be limited.