Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are you still waiting?

Comments

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303

Whether or not ESO ever goes F2P is beyond meaningless to me. Although, this thread has been amusing. I like ESO therefore, I will play ESO until I no longer enjoy playing ESO. Now, should they ever go F2P, I would hope they would allow the option of continuing on the sub model because I don't enjoy the nickel and diming that goes on in many F2P games. The sub model is convenient for me. Here's my money, you let me play the game, I'll see you in 30 days. Till then, don't bother me, I'm playing.

That being said, if they don't continue the sub model and I'm still enjoying the game, I'll suck it up and keep playing.

Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by ranghar
    I honestly hated ESO in beta.  I decided to go ahead and try the retail because we had a bunch of guys playing it.  I have to say that I am actually enjoying it quite a bit now.  The PvE does feel mostly like a single player game though...which is fine I guess since no one is playing it for PvE in my groups.  It resembles DAOC in a lot of ways.  DAOC of course being better imo, but my love for DAOC is mostly because of nostalgia I imagine.

This is one of the reasons I am not paying for another ThemePark MMO. Why would you pay a sub fee and, in the future, an in game cash shop for what is basically a single player game.

Sure there is some PvP and raiding thrown in there, but you will likely spend the majority of the time, soloing. So why not just then play a single player game.

I am going to get Witcher 2, never got around to play that game, and play it while I wait for a real MMO to be released.

In regard to the highlighted section, please, speak for yourself. Some PvP thrown in there? PvP is the main focus of the endgame and is accessible at level 10. Not exactly thrown in there. Also, I've been grouping with my friends since the get go. With the rings of mara, it only makes sense to and I have fun playing with my friends, regardless of whether or not the content is specifically group content.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Sajman01
    Because I can wait 3 months then play it for free.

Originally posted by delete5230

Originally posted by jesad

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! That was AWESOME!!  You guys crack me up!!!  No, seriously, I'm crying over here!  Plus I spit my coffee all over the screen! 

Of COURSE you're answer to why you are still waiting would be that you could play it for free in a few months!  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  I'm soooooo stupid LOL.

You guys rule.  I'm not kidding.  You slay me.   Whew!.......I gotta get a hold of myself after that.  Snot running all over the place from laughing so hard and whatnot.

So yeah......

OP, If you had been on these forums as of the past two years, You would find that 70% of the posters here are free loaders.

And the only reason they play mmorpg's is because it's one of the only ways to get games totally free.  All you have to do is bounce from one to another when it becomes time to pay anything !

I'm holding off because my friends and I decided to wait until some bugs are fixed, however I'm not sure if I could wait like they can.....I may take you up on that.

Well, with the upcomming console release, and the fact that is the first true AAA MMO developed for consoles...

those freeloaders might be surprised, the fact of a real MMO on consoles alone and the game being high quallity will make this game the most succesfull MMO since WoW..   If the quallity is right, people willpay for a game..  And so far the enthralling immersiveness of the game seems to work for a whole truckload of people..

There is not going to be any f2p any time soon....   

F2P anytime soon, maybe or maybe not, but down the road, it wouldn't surprise me at all. And I think you overestimate the number of console players who are willing to spend 15$ a month to play an MMO. Most people who play consoles don't even know what an MMO is or just don't care about them, else they would be playing on PC. Also, console players who played any ES game and end up buying TESO will be greatly disappointed since TESO have nothing to do with ES games, its just another generic themepark MMO with an ES skin, nothing worth a sub price.

You can't say that this game is appealing/fun to a truckload of people since a truckload of people just play and jump between every single triple A MMO ever released in the past years. They follow the hype train, play the game for a couple of months, find out that the game is lacking, they stop playing and wait for the next big release. This is how most MMO players operate.  Wait until EQN is release and you will see the population of TESO drop down quickly and it will most likely happen before that. People like the game only because it's the "new kid on the block" and it has the ES name, most of them will be fed up in about 2-3 months once they realize how boring the game is compared to a real ES game.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO
    Originally posted by amber-r

The first mmo developed for consoles?

Phantasy Star Online was on the Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox around 1999/2000 and up to 2006 and was one of the best online experiences money could afford at that point on any given consoles, and in general.

PSO wasn't really an mmo.

Yes, yes it was.

Massive= Check

Multi player= check

Online = Check

Role Playing Game = Check

And it is considered so by pretty much every gaming site or online encyclopedia.

Hold on, how many people could play it? Did it have a persistent world? Cause if not, then

Massively (not Massive) Multiplayer = Fail.

On a different note Isn't TESO the first AAA MMO release? Not sure if Final Fantasy is considered AAA. If it is, then that was the first AAA MMO on consoles.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! That was AWESOME!!  You guys crack me up!!!  No, seriously, I'm crying over here!  Plus I spit my coffee all over the screen! 

Of COURSE you're answer to why you are still waiting would be that you could play it for free in a few months!  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  I'm soooooo stupid LOL.

You guys rule.  I'm not kidding.  You slay me.   Whew!.......I gotta get a hold of myself after that.  Snot running all over the place from laughing so hard and whatnot.

So yeah......

Guaranteed the game goes F2P within a year.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Phantasy Star Online was on the Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox around 1999/2000 and up to 2006 and was one of the best online experiences money could afford at that point on any given consoles, and in general.

Yes, yes it was.

Massive= Check

Multi player= check

Online = Check

And it is considered so by pretty much every gaming site or online encyclopedia.

Hold on, how many people could play it? Did it have a persistent world? Cause if not, then

On a different note Isn't TESO the first AAA MMO release? Not sure if Final Fantasy is considered AAA. If it is, then that was the first AAA MMO on consoles.

Persistant world is not the only form of an MMORPG. PSO and PSO2 were mission based games where everyone was located in a centeral hub where people can run around and talk then you split into small parties for missions to then return back to the people and then join with new people for another mission. It's no different then doing dungeon runs in any other MMO. 

Plus PSO2, which was released before ESO, added multiparty missions which are pretty much open player dungeons. So, try to deny it all you want but PSO did it first and did it better. 

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Why am I waiting? Too busy playing a real ES title "Skyrim" (still) and Minecraft modded. ESO offers NOTHING that I can't get elsewhere.
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Nope ... torn between this and Wildstar. Not that I dont think this is the better game (as far as fun factor goes) and I did enjoy myself in beta. Still their Imperial Edition already tells me theyd gladly double dip its players and milk them for all theyre stupid enough to give. Despite the fact its a new dev and havent done it yet, it also tells me there is a good chance theyd not only go f2p, but are even planning it.

Wilstar on the other hand has developers that are really creative and passionate about the game. Despite it being TOO cartoony (and im not one to whine about that) and the combat being the lesser of the two, I believe the end game would be far superior. Unfortunately I consider NCSoft to be the EA of MMOs (yes I realize EA makes publishes MMOs too). Much as I trust Carbine, NCSoft is a cancer thats even likely to do the same to Wildstar.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Why am I still "waiting"? Well the graphics turn me off quite a bit and I don't see all that much appeal to the game right now. I'm in no rush to even try it; let alone buy it right effing now. It could be a great game, and if it is, I'm sure that'll still be obvious in a few months time.

Why wouldn't I hold off? I don't need to buy ESO to fill some imaginary gap in my life or something, it's just another game.

imageimage
  • GodOfForbiddenFruitsGodOfForbiddenFruits Member Posts: 52
    I am still waiting because I would rather save $30 and get 3 days early access than pay those $30 solely for 2 days extra access.

However I laugh at "2 months f2p". ESO won't go f2p in near future. Look at the company. Look at its standards. One of the few producers who actually LISTEN to people's feedback. Every. Single. Beta. People say what they don't like and Zenimax fixes. If they said there are no plans for f2p or cashshop, then there aren't. Sure, who knows what will happen in 2-3 years. But if I would have to bet all of my life savings on whether it goes f2p or not within first year, I would easily go with the option that it will stay with sub. People were saying same things about WoW how it iwll go f2p. But it didn't. And I really feel like ESO can succeed because its not WoW clone like most other subscription games were, which didn't survive. It also brings back a lot of old gamers from old mmos. You never know what will happen in a LONG run, but 2-3 months lol? I could bet every penny I have that it won't happen.
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    A good mmo, is what I wait for.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I was tempted several times yesterday reading this forum about great launch etc, but every time I was ready to finally give up to temptation and click pre-order button,  I reminded myself how bored I was in beta and that the game could not get my attention for more than 1 h before I logged out too bored to continue.

I will probably get it when the prize of box will go significantly down, not sure even if I will get it. It's just not the game I was looking for. I don't like combat, I don't like UI, animations suck comparing to SWTOR, I hate not having minimap - opening map every 10 s is not my description of fun, and quests after SWTOR are just blah...

I wish the game good luck though. Not everybody have to like it, it looks like many do, and it's great.

Keep it strong TESO fans !!!!!!! The more popular TESO will be, the more other games, including my beloved SWTOR will need to get more attention from DEVs to compete. image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

The thing is that in the past i did buy mmorpg just by looking at vids or trying betas etc. but end up with the game loosing in subscribers 2 to 3 months after even 5 or 6 months after it was out on the market. So no i won't make the same mistake i wait till the early adopters make the choice to stay or leave once the hype goes down.

And if in the process it makes it turn free to play then its even better for those that can't pay a sub on a game and also it will show that the game was not at all good enough to keep up with other AAA mmorpg.

Edit : Not that i can't pay my own subs i pre-ordered already Wildstar been testing it for far to long now not just weekend betas, but if this game ( ESO ) keep up with other mmorpg then i will buy it also. Just not right now.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by ranghar
    I honestly hated ESO in beta.  I decided to go ahead and try the retail because we had a bunch of guys playing it.  I have to say that I am actually enjoying it quite a bit now.  The PvE does feel mostly like a single player game though...which is fine I guess since no one is playing it for PvE in my groups.  It resembles DAOC in a lot of ways.  DAOC of course being better imo, but my love for DAOC is mostly because of nostalgia I imagine.

This is one of the reasons I am not paying for another ThemePark MMO. Why would you pay a sub fee and, in the future, an in game cash shop for what is basically a single player game.

Sure there is some PvP and raiding thrown in there, but you will likely spend the majority of the time, soloing. So why not just then play a single player game.

I am going to get Witcher 2, never got around to play that game, and play it while I wait for a real MMO to be released.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I also agree wit the poster you quoted in that it felt like a single player game and I say this having beta tested it with a partner every time and it still felt badly done. The PvP looked fun enough I suppose if that is what you are going for and I am not. So to answer the OP's question..I am still waiting because this game was not fun for me in the slightest based on my experiences thus far. I would probably avoid it as a F2P title as well so there's no need to assume it has anything to do with the costs of playing. I was bored when it was free during beta.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I'm having alot of fun.  I was actually dying during a quest and to my surprise people came and actually helped me kill the monsters.  Very different from the crowd some other mmos draw.
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I am waiting for a  fun MMO to come out, if I bought TESO I know after a month or 2 I would quit, this game is another boring linear themepark ride with very little freedom that a true MMO should have,  I refuse to keep paying companies to make the same game over and over and over and over and over and over and over with no thought or effort put into, rake in a few million and move on to the next MMO.

Hence why I will be passing on Wildstar as well.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I won't be playing this game but if anyone thinks this game will go f2p before a year you're being silly.

Even star wars took 11 months to go f2p, the whole point of going f2p from p2p is to have a 2nd launch of the game.  Doing so after 3 months would be extremely silly, launching as p2p is mainly to make money from box sales and the p2p audience before they get bored. 

I don't think anyone was suggesting 3 months seriously(at least I hope not), just exagerating to stress a point.  But for those that do seriously think 3 months and it'll be f2p read the above.

• ProtuniaProtunia Member Posts: 111

Truthfully....I am done paying per month to play anything.  I did that for years and years.

Hoping to see more B2P MMO's come to the market soon.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Because:

1) I saved 12 dollars plus the tax on 60 dollars by buying it from GMG instead of zenimax for the cost of just 2 days.

2) I currently have the stomach flu and am not even really up to playing a new game right now -- I probably won't even play it tomorrow.  Plus the issue that you have to lean forward to play games and that makes the pains more and the queaziness higher.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Odd to read so many "I'm never going to play" posts in a thread asking "why wait until the 4th when you can play right now?" IF your mind is made up you are in fact not waiting, you don't wait to not do something.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by centkin

Because:

1) I saved 12 dollars plus the tax on 60 dollars by buying it from GMG instead of zenimax for the cost of just 2 days.

+1. 

Same reason.

As far as the "it'll eventually be free", well, that's true for most things in the world.  If you want long enough, you can get just about anything free.   But with MMOs, i find they're much more fun early when you're among the explorers, all learning about the game, etc.   That experience justifies paying $60.   Unlike something like  Dark Souls 2 - i'm gonna eventually play it, but they'll be the same game in a year when it costs $20.  With an MMO, if you miss the launch, it's never quite the same.   

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Yes, yes it was.

Massive= Check

Multi player= check

Online = Check

The first "AAA" console mmo was Everquest Online Adventures on PS2.

Edit: Actually I was wrong. FF11 released the year prior to EQOA.

PSO was far from being a "AAA" title. The game had few maps, was extremely linear, andpossessed a low production quality. The graphics were about the only real thing it had going for it. Full of bugs and constantly ( and easily ) hacked.The only ones who even knew of it outside of Japan at the time were a small percentage of Dreamcast owners, who themmselves were already a small percentage of console owners as it was.

And I agree, PSO on Dreamcast was not an mmo. It was a limited capacity lobby game like the Diablo series ( although there are those less intelligent souls who think Diablo games are mmos too ).

I never played the Final Fantasy console MMO back in the day as Sony messed up the HD for Europe , but EQOA AAA ? Lol right please best joke iv'e read today. Speaking of being hacked EQOA was hacked by the third week leaving with literally about 20 people online so nope , now PSO was far superior and an MMO but again I don't think it was AAA , mind you it had far better gameplay and many more awards than most PC MMO's at the time. The language shortcut communication was probably the best part and the World wide servers and very close world wide release was great. Then sonic team repeated the close WW release on the gamecube and xbox as a must , they had a lot of power back then. Please don't compare PSO to Diablo , nothing like each other. I do also find it funny this very site has PSO2 as an MMO and not PSO , but it is mostly run by PC gamers , so that's fine I will let them off.

Nope I think ( if FF wasn't ) that PSU ( Phantasy Star Universe ) was the first AAA MMO on a console.

Still amused by you thinking EQOA was the first AAA console MMO , ha ha , you got anymore jokes no please reply.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    Originally posted by alexhpy98721

It depends on where you live and stuff, for some 60$ is a lot for others its very little...

I was a bit worried about the game breaking bugs they had in beta but i bought it anyway for like 30ish eur.... and it looks like they fixed it. 

Life is too short to wait 3-6 months to save 30 euro.

Yeah, agreed.  My point for posting that was because, for whatever reason, I thought the entire time that only the Imperial Edition people got in 5 days early.  So it was a surprise to me that you could get in at the same time with the standard edition.  And since I subscribe to the idea that if I can make that mistake, others can too, I figured I would throw it out there.

Not sure where you got the idea that standard got you in....cause I and many guild mates cannot.

Digital Standard, not that it matters now, but just to say, I wasn't pulling your leg.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/preorder

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Did you know that the digital download of the regular pre-order version came with 5 day access?

Don't believe me?  Go Look.

Buy your game directly from Zenimax and play right freaking now.  No codes to wait for, update is instant.  If you are patched you  can pop right over and log right in.

Nah, past experience with new MMO launches learned me that it is best not to jump on the hypetrain and start spending and to wait a while after Launch till the dust has settled and the bugs/post-Launch problems have been solved, plus there are reliable reviews available.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Ive had my fill of themepark -heavy story, voice acted games thank you very much, Ill pass.....

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

Yes, yes it was.

Massive= Check

Multi player= check

Online = Check

The first "AAA" console mmo was Everquest Online Adventures on PS2.

Edit: Actually I was wrong. FF11 released the year prior to EQOA.

PSO was far from being a "AAA" title. The game had few maps, was extremely linear, andpossessed a low production quality. The graphics were about the only real thing it had going for it. Full of bugs and constantly ( and easily ) hacked.The only ones who even knew of it outside of Japan at the time were a small percentage of Dreamcast owners, who themmselves were already a small percentage of console owners as it was.

And I agree, PSO on Dreamcast was not an mmo. It was a limited capacity lobby game like the Diablo series ( although there are those less intelligent souls who think Diablo games are mmos too ).

Nope I think ( if FF wasn't ) that PSU ( Phantasy Star Universe ) was the first AAA MMO on a console.

Still amused by you thinking EQOA was the first AAA console MMO , ha ha , you got anymore jokes no please reply.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

FF11 was first in Japan (2002), but in North America, EQOA was the first in 2003, and then FFXI came out in 2004. PSU didn't come out 'til 2006.