Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: An Exclusive Look at The Curse of Icewind Dale

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

The Curse of Icewind Dale is set to be Neverwinter’s third free expansion (or module), and it’s due out this Spring. Packed to the gills with new content, gear, quests, and loads of PVP, we spoke with Development Producer Rob Overmeyer of Cryptic about all things Icewind Dale. He drove us around the two massive new zones coming in this update, showed off all of the new PVE content, but more importantly for some… how the brand new world PVP works in Icewind Dale. If you’ve been waiting for a reason to come back to Neverwinter, The Curse of Icewind Dale just might be enough to entice you.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's Neverwinter: An Exclusive Look at The Curse of Icewind Dale.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• EraedalEraedal Member UncommonPosts: 18
    nope. They lost me with their cat-day and their non response to that. i lost 250 bucks to that attrocity.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Yep, that is about when I left also.  They took so long to respond to that exploit and then acted as if they responded immediately when players had been warning them since beta.  

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I might give it another shot, cause I always enjoyed the graphics and the lore, but as long as my P99 guild keeps me busy, I highly doubt  will be there any time soon. 

Hope this patch is as good as it sounds, the game is great, just needs the fine tuning and to get over players woes from the beginning.

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I am not sure what your speaking of with this cat-day thing what is that?  I had no problems with this game at any point, I just stopped playing because I finished everything.  With new content I may come back to check it out. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Soraksis
    I am not sure what your speaking of with this cat-day thing what is that?  

I guess the fellow Caturday survivors (and owners of the pack of http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Caturday_Survivor%27s_Pack) are referring to the "event" when the hacking / duping / call it as you like reached a level so insane, that Cryptic finally decided to do a rollback... and it's called Caturday because it was on a weekend (though many stated it was more like cat turd day :) )

For Bill's question, I'll play IWD's Curse all the way, but not the pvp since I don't give a [bleep] about that. Though I'm curious about  the reception of it, in Neverwinter the pve group is the bigger one... I guess we'll see.

The setup is very much smells like RaiderZ to me (PWE game as well), and in it they had to remove the "forced" element of the pvp part eventually. I guess it all depends how deeply will it mandatory for the story, for crafting, etc.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

An exclusive look at........ the continuing story of a shallow P2W money bit pit run by a scammy Chinese company that doesn't fear getting sued/in trouble with the G.

See Caturday.

Avoid.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    but didn't you guys get a cloak for your troubles?  =(
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Originally posted by Po_gg

I guess the fellow Caturday survivors (and owners of the pack of http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Caturday_Survivor%27s_Pack) are referring to the "event" when the hacking / duping / call it as you like reached a level so insane, that Cryptic finally decided to do a rollback... and it's called Caturday because it was on a weekend (though many stated it was more like cat turd day :) )

Which was a farce and nothing but a token action!  As People had been exploiting for two weeks and not just 7 hours like they claimed.

The only way to "really" fix that mess, was to do a complete reset, with proper compensation. Which they didn't had the guts to do it.

I left shortly after that and will never touch another Cryptic game again.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Bleh. Call me when they have more than four classes, or a bard / melee cleric in the game. Until then I don't really care to go back to their little P2W game.

This did make me nostalgic for the Black Isle / Infinity Engine version of Icewind Dale though. Great hack and slash game, hopefully the same folks who did the Baldur's Gate updates give IWD the same treatment at some point.

Edit: Just occurred to me that a D&D MMO in the style of the old Infinity Engine games would be completely awesome. Somebody, make it happen!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91
    yeah that cat day was the worst, exploit for 2 weeks and we got a 7 days rollback and just a 24 hour ban for those caught. goodjob

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Esuarfeeee
    yeah that cat day was the worst, exploit for 2 weeks and we got a 7 days rollback and just a 24 hour ban for those caught. goodjob

Except you forgot the part that anyone using the exploit prior to the 7 day window got that account perma-banned.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• Wushi75Wushi75 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I have tested it out on the test server and I like it a lot.  New stuff to do, new gear to get, new paragon path for my ranger.   It looks awesome.
  • SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Originally posted by Eraedal
    nope. They lost me with their cat-day and their non response to that. i lost 250 bucks to that attrocity.

But the CAPE! Surely they sufficiently apologized by giving you the Caturday Cape, amirite!?

//sorry you lost $$ though, sucks.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Bleh. Call me when they have more than four classes, or a bard / melee cleric in the game. Until then I don't really care to go back to their little P2W game.

This did make me nostalgic for the Black Isle / Infinity Engine version of Icewind Dale though. Great hack and slash game, hopefully the same folks who did the Baldur's Gate updates give IWD the same treatment at some point.

Edit: Just occurred to me that a D&D MMO in the style of the old Infinity Engine games would be completely awesome. Somebody, make it happen!

Ring Ring: There are 6 classes.

Anyway, I started Neverwinter a few weeks ago and am totally hooked.  It only takes a few days to get to level cap which is really nice compared to most MMOs and will keep you busy once you get there.

PVP is above average.  PVE dungeons are quick.  Quests while leveling are decent comparably to most MMOs with voiceovers on all of them.  Every zone has it's own story that leads to a dungeon fight (both solo and group, although you don't have to do the group one to advance).

All in all for a f2p game that you really can play for free it's really good.  It's nice that the Dev team focuses on new content rather than say new outfits like most f2p MMOs.

As for Caturday I can't say, that happened a long time ago way before I started.

Looking forward to the expansion and am glad that it's focused on PVP.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Anyway, I started Neverwinter a few weeks ago and am totally hooked.  It only takes a few days to get to level cap which is really nice compared to most MMOs and will keep you busy once you get there.

PVP is above average.  PVE dungeons are quick.  Quests while leveling are decent comparably to most MMOs with voiceovers on all of them.  Every zone has it's own story that leads to a dungeon fight (both solo and group, although you don't have to do the group one to advance).

All in all for a f2p game that you really can play for free it's really good.  It's nice that the Dev team focuses on new content rather than say new outfits like most f2p MMOs.

As for Caturday I can't say, that happened a long time ago way before I started.

Since when can you pvp for free?  I guess you like to get owned a lot.  This is still a P2W game far as I am concerned and there is really not much to do once you reach level cap.

Feels kinda odd and strange for me to defend PvMP since I don't like it and not playing it... (I had a couple good months in the 'Moors at launch, when it was all about strategy, questing and fun but then the novelty wore off and all who's left in there was the average/lowly pvp folks)

LotRO's PvMP is not p2w, it's p2p :) as in you have to be a subscriber for that. The rest (for the f2p players) is similar to Neverwinter, since you can grind TP from the game just as you can grind AD, and with that you can buy anything from the store. (not to mention the slots are unlocked for the vip -> premium people just like the trait slots, so there's not much stuff left for grind and unlock)

Beyond the payment part, the two were the same in the sense that both were totally insignificant, forgettable part of the gameplay :) and the Curse will change that.

As I wrote above, I don't know how mandatory will it be (for the story and the professions), but I smell RaiderZ... and with this update LotRO's PvMP is already better than Neverwinter's, since you can forget Ettenmoors is even there, if you want.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Which was a farce and nothing but a token action!  As People had been exploiting for two weeks and not just 7 hours like they claimed.

The only way to "really" fix that mess, was to do a complete reset, with proper compensation. Which they didn't had the guts to do it.

I left shortly after that and will never touch another Cryptic game again.

If you left why keep reading and posting about it? Bored??

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Giving one fighter a two handed weapon, and the other a sword and shield does not a different class make.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Giving one fighter a two handed weapon, and the other a sword and shield does not a different class make.

I agree, technically GF and GWF are the same class (fighters). Still, that makes 5, which is "more than four classes" :)