Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have never been able to stick with a game

orangeoreosorangeoreos Member UncommonPosts: 13

I have been playing mmorpgs for about 5-6 years now and i have only gotten to the level cap of a game twice. (SWTOR and Dragon nest)

Are there any suggestions on some games that have kept you into it for a long while? Possibly ones that have good communities? 

I love pvp and good character customization, I have played most games so listing the ones i have played would just be a waste of time, besides I am willing to give some games another chance.

Thanks D:

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Only game which I managed to stomach getting to max level was WoW/GW1,2.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

Age of conan, will take ya about 2-3 weeks to 80* faster if you power level. Great pve/pvp game with old school mmo progression

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

I have never been able to level cap in any game other than World of Warcraft - I have 4 level capped toons. I attribute this to a loss of interest in mmorpg's in general and progression that I can't keep up with. By the time I get to where people are with respect to progression, they have all moved on to the next level, so it always feels like I am playing the mmorpg's by myself.

I wanted to be a part of SWTOR - GW2 - Neverwinter - Rift - Final Fantasy - Lord of the Rings and Tera, but the games all moved passed me so quickly, I could never keep up to be involved.

I didn't purchase ESO for two reasons, one of those reasons is because I'm pretty sure the game culture would have just steam rolled me and leave me in the dust, I didn't want to play an online game by myself. I have anxiety over Wildstar as well.

I won't pay for boosting items through microtransactions either - seems a waste imo - even if it means I can keep up with everyone, it's just not something I'm interested in maintaining. 

Wildstar at least has player housing that I will be glad to work on at my own pace. Player housing is new to me as well, so that will keep my entertained even if the Wildstar community passes me by.

MMOrpgs offer a unique social environment, but if you're struggling to level cap and keep up with everyone, you may find more enjoyment in other genres, such as more casual mobas, single player rpg's, and just anything that is more casual.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Have you tried Rust?
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I have never understood the idea of sticking to one game for years..why limit yourself? back in days of UO we hardly had a choice. But these days there are so many good MMOS to choose from.

I suggest just enjoy for as long as you find the game fun. Even if someone makes the perfect MMO i still don't see myself sticking to it for years. But that is me. 

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    i know how you feel man....i cant find any game that sparks my intrest and can grab and hold me....been like this for almost a year now....i donno...i have this real deadlyl epic custom computer i just spend 1.2k on and no game is making me remotly intrestes in it....for ME atleast....i think my gaming era is dying....there just isnt anythign new and groundbreaking comming out...
  • DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

MUDs.

I know kiddiez can't grasp them, but take away the sparkles and other useless screen clutter, add in an actual community, and you've got thousands of options. Only requirement (most of the time, there's exemptions) is that you know how to type rather than holding down W and spamming 1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,3,1,1,1,1,6,1,1,1,1,1,1,5. I know it hurts the teen demographics a bit since a lot of mods and gm's will flog you for thinking the NUMBER 2 is a word, but hey... they used to teach things like spelling, grammar, even English in schools, if that's no longer the case, I should be able to halve my taxes every year =P

I miss the MMO's I used to play, but since the average gamer being catered to these days has the attention span of a cat with 2 mice running around the room, what I used to enjoy is long gone. Turned to single player games for awhile, and while they're great for wasting time, they're quite watered down now as well. So went back to MUDs and haven't turned back. Even the casual wimps will be happy they can just jump in, do what they want, and hop off without commitment.

Go ahead and let the suggestion flaming begin =P

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Originally posted by loopback1199

MUDs.

I definitely agree, I still play MUDs (the game in my sig is infact a MUD) and I haven't tired of it in 15 years, even at max-level there's still loads of RP and in-game politics to take part in.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Games that are playable for more than a few months are extinct.

MUDs.

I know kiddiez can't grasp them, but take away the sparkles and other useless screen clutter, add in an actual community, and you've got thousands of options. Only requirement (most of the time, there's exemptions) is that you know how to type rather than holding down W and spamming 1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,3,1,1,1,1,6,1,1,1,1,1,1,5. I know it hurts the teen demographics a bit since a lot of mods and gm's will flog you for thinking the NUMBER 2 is a word, but hey... they used to teach things like spelling, grammar, even English in schools, if that's no longer the case, I should be able to halve my taxes every year =P

I miss the MMO's I used to play, but since the average gamer being catered to these days has the attention span of a cat with 2 mice running around the room, what I used to enjoy is long gone. Turned to single player games for awhile, and while they're great for wasting time, they're quite watered down now as well. So went back to MUDs and haven't turned back. Even the casual wimps will be happy they can just jump in, do what they want, and hop off without commitment.

You could have said all that without backhanded insults too you know?

You always catch more flies with honey.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

MUDs.

I can afford a bug zapper, why would I waste honey? Read it as a whole, not like the bible where you just pick and choose a piece here and there. The only people that would be insulted are the ones that probably can't read it anyways, in which case, they'll be insulted once someone reads it to them lol.

Originally posted by Whitebeards

MUDs.

I can afford a bug zapper, why would I waste honey? Read it as a whole, not like the bible where you just pick and choose a piece here and there. The only people that would be insulted are the ones that probably can't read it anyways, in which case, they'll be insulted once someone reads it to them lol.

You are just proving my point. I did read your whole post and you could have said all that without generalisations and back handed insults in paragraph one.

I always find it ironic that people who call others 'kiddies' are the most immature themselves. 

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    I have this same problem. Don't think I have ever maxed lvled a character in any game, WoW included. But I absolutely detest games where you can hit lvl cap in only a week? I like to slow down and enjoy the ride. Played WoW for like 5 years and still not maxed out. But I think this is gonna change with TESO. Can't wait to start playing this week. Damn you Wal-Mart and your lame 3 day early access.
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Oh and I hate games full of "Kiddiez" as well. think that was the problem with WoW why I never maxed out. I'd get so mad at such Immature chat and "Kiddie" Behaviour I would always log out after an hour. !
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647

MUDs, really? That's soooooo 90's

No, really, I cut my teeth in the MMO world by playing MUDs. I maxed a few characters out in the one I played most and stuck with it for several years. They do have a lot of depth, lots of options and lots of potential.

These days, though, unless you've played the same MUD for years, they're tough to really get in to. Back in the mid 90's there were a slew of them out and lots borrowed content from each other; similar cities, mobs, rooms, etc. So transitioning from one to another was fairly similar and would only take a few days or weeks to really get the hang of.

I tried a new MUD about a year ago and just couldn't deal with it anymore though. After a solid month of playing, i was still a low level and hadn't even explored a fraction of the world. They've all had so much time to grow and customize themselves, they're no longer mostly-interchangeable like they once were and they all require you to read a novel's length of text just to get past the introduction.

The amount of detail and depth seems to be their undoing IMO. Too many options, too much detail to read through, too much customization, too much time involved just to get a basic understanding of what you're doing. If people are commenting about some of the newer MMO's going too fast or outpacing them, a MUD is going to be a futile effort for them!

As for the OP, I have the same problem. Played tons of MMOs for almost 20 years now. The MUDs are the ones I stuck with the longest, but others I tried for a while and went back to on occasion like UO, DAoC and Uncharted Waters Online. Others only lasted a few weeks or months.

If you feel up for it and want to try something new that's reminiscent of older games, Project Zomboid isn't half that bad. Lots of small physical details calculated (sickness, hunger, etc.), old-style but crisp isometric graphics, a complete crafting system and they've just recently released a multi-player version. If nothing else, it's a good time waster to revisit now and then... plus it has no monthly fee and you can find it on Steam.

• kimahriskimahris Member Posts: 55
    ive enjoyed path of exile a lot..the only game that kept my attention. The thing is I spent time lvling different char for different build..playing weekly race and hardcore. It got bored after a while...I mean...2 years later..But the journey was fun.