Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ESO launch is WAY better than GW2's launch

SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
I remember the first week or so, GW2 was absolutely riddled with accounts being hacked because of their pathetic security.  Not only does ESO not have this problem at all, but this has probably been the smoothest launch to date (and I've played them all).  Also, the quest bugs all seem to be resolved.  Great job, Zenimax!

Comments

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    While I agree that things have been surprisingly smooth - The manner in which this topic was worded may very well stir up venom. :/
  • karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    Crashed to black screen a couple times on me and a few bugged quests but other than that has been smooth and as long as zone chat is off it has been enjoyable.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Haven't had a bugged quest in AD yet ...heading to DF tomorrow
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by PulsarMan
    While I agree that things have been surprisingly smooth - The manner in which this topic was worded may very well stir up venom. :/

Look at his post history. That is exactly was his intention. I hope mods step in sooner though before shit hits the fan.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Look at his post history. That is exactly was his intention. I hope mods step in sooner though before shit hits the fan.

Not suppose to use post history ....that's always got me in trouble

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

How unfortunate. :/

Some men just want to see the world burn. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Ironically, I never had any bugged quests in any of my beta weekends. So far I have had three today lol.

Also, it is way too early to know about hacked accounts. You mention GW2s first week, this hasn't even finished ESO's first day yet.

And people always talk about MMOs and their pathetic security being the problem for accounts being hacked. The sheer number of MMOs I have played in the last 15 or so years I have never once had an account hacked. Nor have either of my brothers who have also played many MMOs over the last 15 years. I truly believe most of it is user error.

That said, ESO is soooo much fun :)

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Seriously....I'm liking the game a lot to preorder...but it isn't even launch  yet. I know it might be a troll post, but it goes across the board. I only ran into one bugged quest...but that there was one the first day of early access before 2nd party retail stores' access did makes me nervous if there's a big surge on Tuesday and bugs more. Jumping a gun on these launch threads, seriously.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by karat76
    Crashed to black screen a couple times on me and a few bugged quests but other than that has been smooth and as long as zone chat is off it has been enjoyable.

black screen crashing is probably a driver issue

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Ironically, I never had any bugged quests in any of my beta weekends. So far I have had three today lol.

Also, it is way too early to know about hacked accounts. You mention GW2s first week, this hasn't even finished ESO's first day yet.

And people always talk about MMOs and their pathetic security being the problem for accounts being hacked. The sheer number of MMOs I have played in the last 15 or so years I have never once had an account hacked. Nor have either of my brothers who have also played many MMOs over the last 15 years. I truly believe most of it is user error.

That said, ESO is soooo much fun :)

I've been playing MMOs since Ultima Online, and I've never had my account hacked once either.  That is until GW2 came along.  It was clearly the company's fault.  It's like the millions who had their credit card numbers stolen from Target (or the outsourced company that handled their database).  You can't exactly protect against that as a consumer.  The fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the company.  The company apologists only make it worse for everybody, as far as I'm concerned.

That whole debacle really soured me on NCSoft in general.  But then, I've never really been too impressed with their MMOs in general, anyway.  This has nothing to do with trolling.  It seemed to me like there were a bunch of amateurs at the switch.  Zenimax, on the other hand, has a couple of old hands at the switch who were responsible for success stories like DaoC.

• APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Satarious
    I remember the first week or so, GW2 was absolutely riddled with accounts being hacked because of their pathetic security.  Not only does ESO not have this problem at all, but this has probably been the smoothest launch to date (and I've played them all).  Also, the quest bugs all seem to be resolved.  Great job, Zenimax!

Technically, it's Headstart, not launch.  Just saying.

• EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by APRIME

Nah, they're calling it Early Access.  Launch is in a few more days, then the unwashed masses can all join in.

• YouSamaYouSama Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I just find it funny that 'tards like OP have to just say something to criticize another game without _any_ clear point at all. Really? Out of all the games released he had to just go ahead and say "OH MY GAWD THIS RELEASE WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN GUILD WARS 2, IM ALL WET BECAUSE OF IT" .. Jeez. And I don't even play Guild Wars 2, remove the "fanboy" comment you were about to do.
    Originally posted by Eunuchmaker
    Originally posted by APRIME

Nah, they're calling it Early Access.  Launch is in a few more days, then the unwashed masses can all join in.

My account was literally hacked on the first day when GW2 launched.  It was a huge deal since a lot of other people experienced the same problem.  They tried to place the blame on prior MMOs lack security, but that was a bunch of bs.    I've never had my account hacked before that and I'm careful not to click on links in emails (especially for those that have bad grammar or end up in the spam box).  I always go directly to the url.  Anyway, I think there was a breach and they never owned up to it.  I can understand why since it would have been a huge blow to their reputation.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    My only problem today was that I got on 3 hours after launch and already my favorite really very uncommon names were taken.  Ive never seen anyone use these names in other mmos but somehow they get taken.  grump
    Also, if I remember it correctly, NCSoft didn't even put in the most basic safeguard in authentication:  Number of retries restriction.  So for those first days, somebody could easily run a basic password cracking app to try the millions of different possibilities in a password and crack it within minutes.  They had to scramble to plug up all these holes within the first weeks.  I find it hilarious how some of these NCSoft fanboys can't put two and two together:  I mean honestly, has there ever been an MMO that was as badly hacked as GW2 on its first week?  I don't think so.  It's more likely that there was much more than user error in this case.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Best launch I've had since Rift, and maybe even way back in FFXI.  I haven't had a single bug, any lag, or any problems at all.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

GW2 accounts were not really hacked ... it was because fans used the same passwords (or variants) across the same usernames (on multiple fan sites).  It was documented, and even ArenaNet commented to a similar fashion.

GW2 launch was pretty smooth actually, in MMORPG terms.  I hear from friends TESO has a bunch of bugs for logging in? yeah ... some people like me get in, others get stuck for 3 hours waiting to log on ...  not good for getting friends together :(  Launch isn't the worst, but isn't the best.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

GW2 accounts were not really hacked ... it was because fans used the same passwords (or variants) across the same usernames (on multiple fan sites).  It was documented, and even ArenaNet commented to a similar fashion.

GW2 launch was pretty smooth actually, in MMORPG terms.  I hear TESO has a bunch of bugs for logging in? yeah ...

Uh.. ArenaNet is the developer of the game.  So of course they're going to document themselves in a favorable light.  That's like saying we no longer need a Free Press since the President is a man of his word.  The fact is, the truth will never get out there since ArenaNet and/or NCSoft have a reputation to protect.  But come on, has there ever been an MMO that has had as much widespread hacking issues as GW2 in its first week?  Doesn't that just make you a tiny bit suspicious?  I mean just a little?

GW2 launch was pretty smooth actually, in MMORPG terms.  I hear TESO has a bunch of bugs for logging in? yeah ...

Uh.. ArenaNet is the developer of the game.  So of course they're going to document themselves in a favorable light.  The fact is, the truth will never get out there since ArenaNet and/or NCSoft have a reputation to protect.  But come on, has there ever been an MMO that has had as much widespread hacking issues as GW2 in its first week?  Doesn't that just make you a tiny bit suspicious?  I mean just a little?

Since it was traced back to various sites, no, I don't think your argument holds much weight.

Any game with a huge following can be susceptible.  GW2 had a younger, more naive following, and thus had many security risks (many were used to Blizzard protecting them, then they had a rude awakening).

TESO audiences are likely a tad older, on average, but that doesn't really make them any more safe .. if they don't practice account security.

So TESO has a more adapt following, thus far.  Not to say they are exempt from "hacking".

Since it was traced back to various sites, no, I don't think your argument holds much weight.

Any game with a huge following can be susceptible.  GW2 had a younger, more naive following, and thus had many security risks (many were used to Blizzard protecting them, then they had a rude awakening).

TESO audiences are likely a tad older, on average, but that doesn't really make them any more safe .. if they don't practice account security.

So TESO has a more adapt following, thus far.  Not to say they are exempt from "hacking".

Lol!  Well, I can see that you're just going to blindly hang onto ArenaNet/NCSoft's twisting of the truth like a pit bull.  No, all companies have the utmost integrity and it's always the "unwashed masses" fault.  Should I even bring up Enron?

I'm not going to extend this argument since I know that there are too many entrenched NCSoft apologists out there.  I know for a fact that I'm careful when it comes to internet accounts and suspicious phishing style emails.  I've been using the web since its birth back in the 90s and never once had my account for anything hacked.  So I will never buy into this nonsense that it was poor security on the part of individuals that caused this issue since it happened to me as well.  I mean, this was literally the only time that I had my account hacked in the many years of using the internet.  So as far as I'm concerned, there's two likely scenarios that caused this:

1) They had a major breach and thousands of accounts/passwords were stolen

2) The accounts were cracked since ArenaNet/NCSoft was lax on security (since they didn't even have a retry policy starting out)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by DMKano

Zenimax really needs to get two-factor authentication added for TESO.

So many companies got burned hard because they didn't have authenticators for their games.

QFT!

Having the option to attach an authenticator to your account improves the security of the account dramatically. I know that if there is the option i always go for it, and to date, as far as i am aware, not a single account that was protected by an authenticator has been hacked.

Their also a cheap security option that is easy to implement, though there are those who would rather blame MMO companies rather than admit its their own behaviour that causes the accounts to be compromised image

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Early access =/= release. 

On ANET. If your account was brute forced, that's on you.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Lol!  Well, I can see that you're just going to blindly hang onto ArenaNet/NCSoft's twisting of the truth like a pit bull.  No, all companies have the utmost integrity and it's always the "unwashed masses" fault.  Should I even bring up Enron?

I'm not going to extend this argument since I know that there are too many entrenched NCSoft apologists out there.  I know for a fact that I'm careful when it comes to internet accounts and suspicious phishing style emails.  I've been using the web since its birth back in the 90s and never once had my account for anything hacked.  So I will never buy into this nonsense that it was poor security on the part of individuals that caused this issue since it happened to me as well.  I mean, this was literally the only time that I had my account hacked in the many years of using the internet.  So as far as I'm concerned, there's two likely scenarios that caused this:

1) They had a major breach and thousands of accounts/passwords were stolen

2) The accounts were cracked since ArenaNet/NCSoft was lax on security (since they didn't even have a retry policy starting out)

Enron .. the name that brought putrid oil to shores to kill off many unusual wildfire.....seriously bad thing to bring up, in any form of example.

ArenaNet had multiple fan sites, and some fans had accounts with the same name across them all (same PW too, or similar enough to crack).  Fans that got ripped off complained, so you hearing their complaints made you think it was a major issue.

I had fan accounts, and a GW2 account, yet never had an issue.

If you never had a problem, it's likely because you practice good security.  Most don't even know what security is .. and that is what keeps Internet Security folks employed.  Realize that, and you win a Yoshi sticker!

Originally posted by DMKano

Zenimax really needs to get two-factor authentication added for TESO.

So many companies got burned hard because they didn't have authenticators for their games.

That didn't come with the collectors edition?

Ooops!

SWTOR has 1 up on TESO I guess!

This discussion has been closed.