Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Prodigy: RPG Fun with Miniatures

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

To whosoever among us thinking that s/he doesn’t have a collector’s obsession: I challenge you to play Prodigy and not want to buy all the delightfully detailed miniatures that tie into its game world.  Hanakai Studio’s new turn-based, tactical RPG will aim to scratch that collector’s itch through some clever tech that allows you to bridge the gap between physical minis and digital gameplay.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Prodigy: RPG Fun with Mirrors.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

Looks like a logical evolution of Magic the Gathering. I never got into it because of the cost, one of my best friends was dropping entire paychecks building his decks and that scared me away, far away from it.

But it IS a great idea that can become a great success.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

SKYLANDER!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Sounds like it requires a bit too much in the way of physical objects to play.
  • As someone who's played the past 3 generations of Skylanders games and accumulated about 30 figures for them. I can't say I'm to eager to start another game that requires figures.

Don't get me wrong, the Skylanders games are loads of fun, but at the end of the day anytime I'm not playing Skylanders I have 30 little figurines sitting around doing absolutely nothing but getting in the way. I see this game much the same way, would probably be fun when I'm playing with it and my figures, but what do I do with them when I'm not.

In fact one of the reasons I got out of many of my physical games, miniatures, board games, and TCGs alike is the storage space it all requires. Living in a very big city where space is at a premium just doesn't allow for much clutter, especially if you don't want to have to unstack stuff just to find what you want. It's the same reason me and so many of my friends got rid of book shelves in exchange for eReaders.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Not a bad idea, but it will be competing against Warhammer 40K etc.

If I were a kid and I had to decide between the two, I would have gone for Warhammer 40K or Dungeons and Dragons, depending on the friend. 

I doubt that Prodigy would have been a consideration - but I can imagine it being popular in other countries other than the UK - particularly oriental countries.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

I hate the idea of combining tech with tabletop gaming.

I have watched the Tabletop game (mainly D&D/Pathfinder) evolve into some weird hybrid already, with laptops open, digital player aids, etc...etc... I had to ban them from my games for a myriad of reasons and generally I dont enjoy gaming under DMs who allow this- The game evolved into everyone looking at a screen , players saying "hold on a sec" while looking things up and the social interaction far less than when everything was done via books, paper, pen and regular miniatures.

I would also state that I am tired of pre painted, plastic pieces of garbage for miniatures. Part of the fun of collecting miniature armies (for wargaming or RPG's) was painting them. It allowed the hobby the continue even when away from the gaming table. Its systematic of the decline of the entire hobby (both digital and real world)

I still have pewter figurines I have  painted from waaaay back in the early 1980s... They mean something to me. Far more than some off the shelf plastic pre painted garbage.

Oh yeah "I dont have the time to paint and I want the kewl looking stuff" (typical modern gamer response and catering to the lowest common potential player.. There were people without the time and skill back in the 1980s as well and they could either practice and learn when they did have time (as I did) or have a friend paint for them.

-On one hand I wish them luck- I would like to see a new generation get into tabletop war gaming. On the other hand this will probably dumb the genre down even more for everyone IF it ends up being popular...So... I kinda hope they fail . The genre may be small right now, but at least it remains hardcore and stable. I would hate to see wargaming go the way of MMORPG's and CRPGs in general.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Nah. I'll stick to Warhammer.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Il go with descent second edition. Games like this miss the point entirely about board games - its about the tactile nature of the interaction with a quality board and pieces and sitting with friends around a table.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Sounds like a cool concept. Not sure how they will get it all down to a price that is sane... Then again GW have made sure that "sane" is no longer a word in miniature wargaming vocabulary.

Will take a look at the KS once it launches.

Still it does not beat the feeling of pulling off a insane roll, saving the day and knowing that the Kilkenny you offered up Bob the god of dices was not wasted and the sweet nectar that is seeing your opponents face, a solem tear rolling down

This have been a good conversation