Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This time it´s different

intiorizedintiorized Member UncommonPosts: 143

I was playing WoW since the first day and for around 6 years. After that i tried LotRO, GW 1 and 2, SWToR. I was always looking forward to these games, giving them a fair chance. The best of these games was LotRO since i´m a huge LotR fan, i like the books, i kinda like the movies too. I played it for a few months, it was just not getting me. Same with GW. I was so excited about the start of GW2. I had so many expectations to this game. But there were so many downsides i did not like. There was no progression. At first i liked the idea but then it was getting a bit boring, considering that the story and quests werent as catching as i thought at the beginning. There was no real motivation playing it longer than a few montchs get to max level, finish the story. I also hated the fact that there was PVE/PVP gear. I´d like to earn my gear, making me better in PvP. SWToR was no game for me from the beginning. Just tried it but it was getting boring very early.

So now we are 29 hours away from release to ESO and it feels different this time. I am not thatt hyped because of marketing or because everybody saying that this game is sooo cool or because there were 5 Million beta testers (i mean c´mon). I just made my own opinion during the Beta Tests, really thinking about whether the game is worth the money or not.

Now that i´m a student and working 20 hours i don´t have not that much time and money either, so i really tried to get it to the game, looking what it has to offer. As you can see, i approved it as a great game.

There is so much to do in there. So there´s questing which plays a big part for me in this game, because TES has a rich back story and the Quests are really well told. Or you can farm crafting materials and improve you crafting skills which i also really like. From lower levels on, the items you craft look good and there is a bit of a complexity (but other games do have a "better" crafting system) in it. You can use your PVE gear in PVP.

Oh PvP, it´s just huge and it makes so much fun. I don´t care that sometimes there are Zergs. Sometimes i just sneak through the lands going behind enemy lines waiting there what´s happening. There were some very thriling experiences in there. The world is awesome, there is so much to explore, and you really get rewarded by exploring. Not as much as in the single player games but it´s ok. I do love the idea of the endgame content, but we will see how it will work out. Anyway it will last months till i´m able to think about endgame. But to know, there is so much you can do ingame is so motivating. That was my problem with GW2. Sure there were many things to do but i just didnt get the feeling that it did mind what i was doing.

So the feeling is so much different. This time i was honest to myself, saying 'give it a try, if you like it play if not it´s just a game'. In the past i always wanted the feeling which i had when playing WoW the first time. I was young and it was my first MMORPG and i got so addicted, it was an awesome time. Now my feeling is quite the same. As i said above, there are so many things that i´m looking forward to do, so much to try out. I will not using guides or any other "helpfull" things. Just dive into the world, enjoying every minute of Tamriel. The game can have millions of players, the best previews but if it just don´t catches you these things doesn´t mind. So it´s about a feeling a game can give you. It has to be something to have fun with.

Last thing i want to say is, that i really trust Zenimax on this. They were listening to the community through the whole beta. There were changes because we wanted them. But also they stand their ground, not changing the pillars of their game so it still feels like a TES game. Also the customer support is very good, they help within hours, let´s see what its like after release.

I hope some of you do like the game also and if not, it´s just a game.

See you in Tamriel!

Cheers

P.S.: i´m no native english speaker, but i think you recognized that :)

http://www.northlanders.rocks

1st German Crowfall Guild

Comments

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Seems legit.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I am waiting for the servers to go up and even though i am excited i don't TRUST Zenimax or any other game devs for that matter when it comes to pre release promises. It is all just marketing gimmick to get more people invested in their game.

So lets see a couple of months down the lane if you still feel the same. Because i have read 'this time its different ' topic at release of every new MMO. We often let excitement get better of us and post things which we are embarassed at later on.

• intiorizedintiorized Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

I am waiting for the servers to go up and even though i am excited i don't TRUST Zenimax or any other game devs for that matter when it comes to pre release promises. It is all just marketing gimmick to get more people invested in their game.

So lets see a couple of months down the lane if you still feel the same. Because i have read 'this time its different ' topic at release of every new MMO. We often let excitement get better of us and post things which we are embarassed at later on.

It´s not that i did not experience disappointments in the past and felt fooled by publishers and developers. I just trust them in a way that i think they COULD be able to improve and develop the game further on. Sure we will see if they actually interessted in in or not. But the fact, that i have to do enough for the next months or year in the game is the reason why i know that i´ll love the game. What comes after that, i don´t know and i do not mind at this time. I just start the game, enjoying it and will not think what will happen after i´ve finished everything what the game has to offer.

I know there are many "this time its different" threads but this is more of a "this time its really different" thread :)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I was hoping it was going to be but I spent far more time in 5 Beta Weekends trying to convince myself that this is "the one" then I spent enjoying the game.

In the end I decided MMO's are no longer my "thang" unless someone comes up with a fast paced MMO which features all the spiritual successors of an Asheron's Call.

IMO I have learned I am more suited to ARPG's like Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn and Others in the genre.  I'd definitely kill for a 3rd person perspective ARPG with Reticule based WASD movement though.  Elder Scrolls Online was just extremely too slow for my tastes and the loot system left much to be desired.  I'll definitely check it out when it goes F2P though.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

This^^

I m not up for TESO but i ll play Wildstar. I hope the Carbine devs do their jobs and it wont be another "different" game.

Despite i dont like TESO at all, i hope the same for it. We need quality games, we pay for them anyway :)

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

As you said several times , It's only a game..:)

If I allow myself to read behind the lines I can say that "it's often" the first MMO that will be played and captures us for long , in your case it was World of Warcraft .

After each game that follows, the time we play has been lessened abit, surly for a multitude of reasons, there is SOOO many big  MMO's that comes out , the game developers slow switch to a more singleplayer focused gameplay, the time it takes to reach max level, the time we have left to play when most of us are having families and work and other responsibilities (getting older :))

I'm often in the same dilemma as you , thinking, may this be the game that will capture me as it did "back in the Days" (I played EQ2 for long:)) but I fear that those Days are over, but yet again here we are, aswell as friends from the old Guild back in the Days.

But I'm fairly certain it will be played by most , but after a few months most will have returned to "longing for that new game" again.sadly.

Well see :) It's only another game !!

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    100% with you man, and the fact that Zenimax has listed to all of its gamers, and the people on the zenimax team are so heart driven to make this the best game ever, with all the stuff in it, adventure zones which we never seen in games before,  quests that have never been in mmorpgs ever before, its truly feeling like we are taking the first step on the moon after 7 years of being stuck on earth.  
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    100% with you man, and the fact that Zenimax has listed to all of its gamers, and the people on the zenimax team are so heart driven to make this the best game ever, with all the stuff in it, adventure zones which we never seen in games before,  quests that have never been in mmorpgs ever before, its truly feeling like we are taking the first step on the moon after 7 years of being stuck on earth.  

maybe this is going a bit too far but i can understand that :)

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Knotwood

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Just try to accept and enjoy the game is what it is....  If you want it to be something different, then you will burn out..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by intiorized

I was playing WoW since the first day and for around 6 years. After that i tried LotRO, GW 1 and 2, SWToR. I was always looking forward to these games, giving them a fair chance. The best of these games was LotRO since i´m a huge LotR fan, i like the books, i kinda like the movies too. I played it for a few months, it was just not getting me. Same with GW. I was so excited about the start of GW2. I had so many expectations to this game. But there were so many downsides i did not like. There was no progression. At first i liked the idea but then it was getting a bit boring, considering that the story and quests werent as catching as i thought at the beginning. There was no real motivation playing it longer than a few montchs get to max level, finish the story. I also hated the fact that there was PVE/PVP gear. I´d like to earn my gear, making me better in PvP. SWToR was no game for me from the beginning. Just tried it but it was getting boring very early.

So now we are 29 hours away from release to ESO and it feels different this time. I am not thatt hyped because of marketing or because everybody saying that this game is sooo cool or because there were 5 Million beta testers (i mean c´mon). I just made my own opinion during the Beta Tests, really thinking about whether the game is worth the money or not.

Now that i´m a student and working 20 hours i don´t have not that much time and money either, so i really tried to get it to the game, looking what it has to offer. As you can see, i approved it as a great game.

There is so much to do in there. So there´s questing which plays a big part for me in this game, because TES has a rich back story and the Quests are really well told. Or you can farm crafting materials and improve you crafting skills which i also really like. From lower levels on, the items you craft look good and there is a bit of a complexity (but other games do have a "better" crafting system) in it. You can use your PVE gear in PVP.

Oh PvP, it´s just huge and it makes so much fun. I don´t care that sometimes there are Zergs. Sometimes i just sneak through the lands going behind enemy lines waiting there what´s happening. There were some very thriling experiences in there. The world is awesome, there is so much to explore, and you really get rewarded by exploring. Not as much as in the single player games but it´s ok. I do love the idea of the endgame content, but we will see how it will work out. Anyway it will last months till i´m able to think about endgame. But to know, there is so much you can do ingame is so motivating. That was my problem with GW2. Sure there were many things to do but i just didnt get the feeling that it did mind what i was doing.

So the feeling is so much different. This time i was honest to myself, saying 'give it a try, if you like it play if not it´s just a game'. In the past i always wanted the feeling which i had when playing WoW the first time. I was young and it was my first MMORPG and i got so addicted, it was an awesome time. Now my feeling is quite the same. As i said above, there are so many things that i´m looking forward to do, so much to try out. I will not using guides or any other "helpfull" things. Just dive into the world, enjoying every minute of Tamriel. The game can have millions of players, the best previews but if it just don´t catches you these things doesn´t mind. So it´s about a feeling a game can give you. It has to be something to have fun with.

Last thing i want to say is, that i really trust Zenimax on this. They were listening to the community through the whole beta. There were changes because we wanted them. But also they stand their ground, not changing the pillars of their game so it still feels like a TES game. Also the customer support is very good, they help within hours, let´s see what its like after release.

See you in Tamriel!

Cheers

It feels different every time to me, and every time I'm disappointed. I've got used to accepting second best from the mmo industry. Having said that, I am going to give ESO a chance, but having played the beta I am going into it with no rose-tinted spectacles.

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Just try to accept and enjoy the game is what it is....  If you want it to be something different, then you will burn out..

Good advice.

Originally posted by oldboygamer

It feels different every time to me, and every time I'm disappointed. I've got used to accepting second best from the mmo industry. Having said that, I am going to give ESO a chance, but having played the beta I am going into it with no rose-tinted spectacles.

Maybe that´s a good way to start a game :)

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

Sounds to me like the issue wasn't TOR or GW2, but the way you played them. My personal opinion on themeparks like these is to simpy enjoy the leveling experience, try out some of the different stuff the game has and leave because there's no engaging content left. But i have fun.

I'm not playing ESO because i don't think it's worth the sub. If it ever goes F2P/B2P, i'll probably check it out and enjoy it like your saying OP. Anyway, have fun and enjoy yourself. That's what it's all about. 

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by oldboygamer

Maybe that´s a good way to start a game :)

My 1st MMO was 20 years ago. This is the first time in a very long time where I am truly hopeful. The reasoning being that in the betas for the 1st time ever (in memory - mine that is) I didn't care about pushing as far as possible. One beta I spent 5 hours on a character and ended up at level 5 (could have gone further if I had tried, easily) and still had no shoes! I was just having fun wandering. I was amazed and confused.

I have misled myself too many times to not have a good bit of caution to go along with the hopes but .....ESO could be the real thing for me....

• Misao-YuukiMisao-Yuuki Member UncommonPosts: 6

See you in Tamriel!

Cheers

I have the same feeling about TESO. And like you said, if I dont like it in two months or so - well its just a game.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

I love the Elder Scrolls series, so i would have loved nothing more than to adore this game.

Played the betas, i did not.

Ah well.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I was hoping it was going to be but I spent far more time in 5 Beta Weekends trying to convince myself that this is "the one" then I spent enjoying the game.

In the end I decided MMO's are no longer my "thang" unless someone comes up with a fast paced MMO which features all the spiritual successors of an Asheron's Call.

IMO I have learned I am more suited to ARPG's like Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn and Others in the genre.  I'd definitely kill for a 3rd person perspective ARPG with Reticule based WASD movement though.  Elder Scrolls Online was just extremely too slow for my tastes and the loot system left much to be desired.  I'll definitely check it out when it goes F2P though.

Ha ha, I'm a lot like you.  I developed very low expectations for MMORPGs over the years.  I don't get hyped for them at all anymore.  During the beta weekends, I played for awhile just out of curiosity.  After two of those betas, I just lost interest.  It had no real appeal to me at all.  ES, to me was always about me and my little world, doing what I pleased.  There was never any appeal what so ever in the concept of sharing it with other players, never.  The only MMORPGs, that I regularly ever played were sandbox games, that just let you wonder off and do whatever the hell you wanted.  I never felt any appeal to being dragged along some tunnel, only end up on a treadmill at the end, as a reward for my commitment.  That's how most MMORPGs feel to me and the reason why I could only stomach them for a few months out of the year.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I love the Elder Scrolls series, so i would have loved nothing more than to adore this game.

Ah well.

It's a shame but I have to agree with this. Played all of the ES games going all the way back to Arena. This just didn't click for me.

The 3 faction RvR seems too close to being a DAoC rip off, which we already saw recently revived in GW2 and doesn't fit my view of an ES setting.

I wish all you guys well in the new TESO and hope it does well for you but I won't be playing it.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Yeah it's not different.

You're just overly excited. The game has nothing to do with it.

We still have to wait for a game to come and actually be different in a way that will make a difference to the genre.

..Cake..

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Ah well.

I'm on the same page.

Actually, I played only one beta, despite receiving 4 or 5 invites for different weekends. I just felt like TES was raped and turned into a generic online cash machine, and I didn't have the heart to see one of my favourite franchises keep being violated over and over with soul-less scenarios, generic action combat, and so dull and limited skill trees, amongst other things. So I did not install any of the following betas.

To those that enjoy it, have fun. I wish I could feel like you, so I could have a mmo to play for the months/years to come. Alas, that's not the case.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308

So it's not your taste, and it's to slow and boring, but you're check it out when it's free to play? Strange oO

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Mpfive

So it's not your taste, and it's to slow and boring, but you're check it out when it's free to play? Strange oO

PEOPLE ARE more forgiving when a MMO is B2P/F2P out the door. Standards get lowered to a reasonable level.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

I agree with the OP. This game is cooler then beta FWIW.  So far 10 really fun hours for me. If I get 100 hours out of an 80 dollar purchase - I am cool with that. It plays like an excellent single player MMO that I can play with friends and family. That's win in my book.

Haters gonna hate I guess. You guys are missing out though.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Ah well.

Same, I'm glad those who like it do, and this is from another guy who loves the single player games. And for those who say "well you can't put stuff from the single player games into an mmo" and you are absolutely right in referring to Zenimax in this case.

Where as this game here? I got Elder Scrolls chills everytime I look at this trailer and its not an Elder Scrolls game and has more content in it than the single player games. And fact is that the game is done, not in development, not a bunch of ideas its done, and we are waiting on -our- version. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLAVNriGsus

See you in game!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!