Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Lore.

Here is some lore of the Elder scrolls 

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

generic fantasy with orcs, elves, and humanoids? got it.

• M0rbidM0rbid Member Posts: 60
    Ive always enjoyed the ES games and the lore...but the lore IS terribly generic and always has been. Ive never understood the fuss about the lore myself...
  • intiorizedintiorized Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I like it. Cant get enough of it :-)

http://www.northlanders.rocks

1st German Crowfall Guild

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Never read any, never will.  Having played many, many mmorpgs since 1998 I just lost interest in generic backstories.
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Elder Scrolls lore is the deepest and most complex lore I've ever seen for a game universe with hundreds upon hundreds of in game books that detail it.  Saying it's generic fantasy no different than any other game only shows the ignorance of the person saying such things.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    Elder Scrolls lore is the deepest and most complex lore I've ever seen for a game universe with hundreds upon hundreds of in game books that detail it.  Saying it's generic fantasy no different than any other game only shows the ignorance of the person saying such things.

just because are there "in game books" does not mean the lore is not generic.

i just have to sign this!

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Boiled down to the essentials that just means there's a lot of it!.  It's well-executed but it's still a generic pastiche.

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Boiled down to the essentials that just means there's a lot of it!.  It's well-executed but it's still a generic pastiche.

but it´s just a matter of execution. Every, every game which tells a story, every movie which tells a story, there is always a good side and a evil side. Look at game of thrones, well executed, but nothing new. Life is generic, it´s always the same, it´s just the matter of how it gets told. On a high abstraction level you have always a "good" and an "evil" side. With the war between the three alliances, the story about talos, the creation of mundus, nurn and tamriel the religions and believe in different "gods", there is something "new" some rich backstory, but if you don´t mind and just see it from this high abstraction level, yes it´s generic fantasy... but only then.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by muffins89

just because are there "in game books" does not mean the lore is not generic.

You're right - it doesn't mean it isn't generic.  Thankfully though it isn't.  I wonder have you read much of the lore? 

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    It might be generic to you but not to others because at the end of the day it's just an opinion.. and ES lore in my opinion is that it's no less generic than Lord of the Rings lore or D&D lore, and both of those are the kings of fantasy lore.
  • ShavaKaShavaKa Member UncommonPosts: 91

You've got to invest in reading and understanding the levels and layers of depth behind the world and its cultures. You can't just look to the surface and say, "this game has Orcs and it's generic"

Yes, this game has elements and origins of fantasy cliche', but keep in mind - it's their own take on the genre and the developmental evolution of the trademark lore shows.

Just take the time to watch this video on the Orsimer (Orcs), if you think it's generic without actually looking into it, then you will think any game that's fantasy based will never be good, even when it might be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhC-m2QSL00