Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is using Hero Engine afterall...

My face when I was greeted by a "POWERED BY HERO ENGINE" splash screen while installing the launch client.

For those unaware, Hero is the same engine that powers SWTOR. The funny thing is ZOS made a big fuss that Hero Engine was only used for early testing, and that they had built their own engine for the full release. Apparently that was just damage control to distance the game from SWTOR whilst that ship was sinking in 2012/2013.

So now it makes perfect sense why they have no plans for speech bubbles, they cripple the performance of the fragile Hero engine as was evident in SWTOR when they removed them completely in early beta never to be seen again.

I wonder what other suprises are in store. Perhaps they will follow SWTOR's F2P within a year business model too.

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea, but hey took that engine, held it captive in their basement, and did some total nasty stuff to it.

after such an experience, engines change.

believe me, this is totaly not SWTOR (not that i didnt like or played SWTOR... but ESO is not)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

no it doesn't, this has been disproved here several times already.

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    I am confused. I remember the devs talking about their own engine. Perhaps they are using a hybrid engine or something?
  • jestahrjestahr Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by baphamet

no it doesn't, this has been disproved here several times already.

Hope you're correct. Why on earth would they keep the splash screen "POWERED BY HERO ENGINE" then? Sorry but it's clear they bought a license and modified the Hero Engine, otherwise they would have no obligation to advertise the fact it's powered on Hero would they?

• M0rbidM0rbid Member Posts: 60
    What has been disproved exactly? Are you saying that ESO does not use the Hero Engine? Or are you saying the Hero Engine doesn't become crippled when adding chat bubbles?

Would love to see your sources as most people know both of those statements are true.

Originally posted by jestahr

Originally posted by baphamet no it doesn't, this has been disproved here several times already.
    Hope you're correct. Why on earth would they keep the splash screen "POWERED BY HERO ENGINE" then? Sorry but it's clear they bought a license and modified the Hero Engine, otherwise they would have no obligation to advertise the fact it's powered on Hero would they?

"We started ZeniMax Online from scratch, with no employees and no technology. We had to build everything ourselves. It takes a long time to write game engines, especially MMO engines, which are inherently more complicated than typical single-player ones. So, we decided to license the HeroEngine to give us a headstart. It was a useful tool for us to use to prototype areas and game design concepts, and it provided us the ability to get art into the game that was visible, so we could work on the game’s art style. Our plan is for ESO to be a world class MMO, with the most advanced social features found in any MMO to date – so while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us – a great tool to get some ideas in the game and start looking at them while the production engine was in development. "

-Matt Firor

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx?fb_ref=.T7_qxmabB4c.like&fb_source=home_oneline

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

What is the difference? The game graphics are beautiful. Either you are going to enjoy this type of MMO, or it will not be your cup of tea.  If not, there are so many more Free to play or subscription MMorpg's out there to choose from. From my time in beta, the game engine worked fantastic.  The only problems I saw was quest bugs.  I am optimistic that Zenimax will have them fixed by release.  

But to compare this game to SWToR, is rediculous.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Good for Hero. swtor almost killed them. Hero now seems like one of the better engines on the market.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by M0rbid
    What has been disproved exactly? Are you saying that ESO does not use the Hero Engine? Or are you saying the Hero Engine doesn't become crippled when adding chat bubbles?Would love to see your sources as most people know both of those statements are true.

it doesn't use it, read the quote in my previous post.

@baphamet

So they made the game using Hero Engine whilst making their own client/server tech. But the engine is definitely Hero Engine. Thanks for confirming.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Who cares, just enjoy the bloody game, it's the eve of the launch and people still find things to cry about
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by jacktors

What is the difference? The game graphics are beautiful. Either you are going to enjoy this type of MMO, or it will not be your cup of tea.  If not, there are so many more Free to play or subscription MMorpg's out there to choose from. From my time in beta, the game engine worked fantastic.  The only problems I saw was quest bugs.  I am optimistic that Zenimax will have them fixed by release.  

But to compare this game to SWToR, is rediculous.  

My feeling's exactly.  Really if the Hero engine is used in both SWTOR and ESO it shows a engine with incredible flexibility as both those games look, feel and play completely different.  I'm not sure you could make two theme park MMO's that are more different than ESO and SWTOR.

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303

This again? Try reading this http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

"6so while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us – a great tool to get some ideas in the game and start looking at them while the production engine was in development."

This article was from 2012. There is so much misinformation because people who know nothing about the game keep yapping about it. Not directing this at you OP, but instead at the people providing you with the misinformation.

Originally posted by M0rbid
    @baphametSo they made the game using Hero Engine whilst making their own client/server tech. But the engine is definitely Hero Engine. Thanks for confirming.

if that's what you got from that quote, i suggest you read it again, this time take off the troll glasses first.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Whats wrong with the Hero Engine? SWTOR was pretty shitty a year ago but I played it the other day and it was running great for me.
  • DewBaahDewBaah Member Posts: 16
    The Hero engine is deffinitly there some where most likely totally modified but they would not put up as a splash screen unless it was indeed in use.
    Lol...yeah we didnt use the hero engine...we promise.

From the company that promised full addon support, no pay gated content and DEFINITELY no cash shop selling in game items.

/golfclap
    And also...if the game does not use Hero Engine they would not be contractually obliged to display it on the splash screen either.

Do you have a pre prepared marketing quote to get around that fact too?

Originally posted by DewBaah
    The Hero engine is deffinitly there some where most likely totally modified but they would not put up as a splash screen unless it was indeed in use.

or if they licensed it for early development while their own in house engine was in development?

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

My face when I was greeted by a "POWERED BY HERO ENGINE" splash screen while installing the launch client.

For those unaware, Hero is the same engine that powers SWTOR. The funny thing is ZOS made a big fuss that Hero Engine was only used for early testing, and that they had built their own engine for the full release. Apparently that was just damage control to distance the game from SWTOR whilst that ship was sinking in 2012/2013.

So now it makes perfect sense why they have no plans for speech bubbles, they cripple the performance of the fragile Hero engine as was evident in SWTOR when they removed them completely in early beta never to be seen again.

I wonder what other suprises are in store. Perhaps they will follow SWTOR's F2P within a year business model too.

because they used any part of the Hero's engine in their development they had to use it in credits, its part of the agreement.

As far as ESO having its own engine, it does...  I think you have to research more on this before posting, puts some links up ect to see how ESO is different monster then the other games hero engine. 

Its one day from launch so I'm not doing that research for you...  have at it image

@fascism

not a huge amount wrong with it imo. It just struggles with things like chat bubbles.

My real point is not the engine but the fan boys who feel the need to lie about it being used...for some reason...just seems silly being as its there advertised on the games splash screen
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by fascism
    Whats wrong with the Hero Engine? SWTOR was pretty shitty a year ago but I played it the other day and it was running great for me.

The problem is scale, the hero engine is okay with phasing and instancing, but bad at handling large numbers of players, very bad in fact, that Zenimax used the Hero engine to help build the game is understandable, as is the reason why they didn't use the hero engine for the actual game itself. SW;TOR has come a long way though, and its taken a lot of work and a lot of time for the game to reach the point its at now, limitations of the hero engine aside, but it still can't handle large numbers of players all that well.image

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by fascism

People blamed the Hero engine for the way zones where all corridors (very much a Knights of the Old Republic thing), how poorly the worlds rendered and small PVP.  If ESO does use the Hero engine I think they pretty much killed all three of those excuses at least with the Hero engine of today.  

I really don't care one way or another as ESO seems to play just fine, the zones are large and it supports large numbers of people on screen at once easily with little lag.  It's really launching with a very strong engine regardless where it comes from so if it is the Hero engine either they made significant improvements to it since TOR or Zenimax did a better job integrating it into the game than Bioware.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Knotwood

because they used any part of the Hero's engine in their development they had to use it in credits, its part of the agreement.

As far as ESO having its own engine, it does...  I think you have to research more on this before posting, puts some links up ect to see how ESO is different monster then the other games hero engine. 

Its one day from launch so I'm not doing that research for you...  have at it image

It wouldn't say powered by then, it would merely mention it with a emblem in the intro splash-screen. There's something off there and that's it.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Played both SWTOR and ESO, both game engines feels totaly diffrent.
    If you woulnt have said it was the HERO engine i woulnt even know it.

ESO runs smooth as butter, i had a siege with at least 500 people in a small area and my FPS dint drop below 40 with all that shit going on.

So even if its a modified hero engine i coultn care less, as long as the game looks nice and i have solid FPS iam ok with any engine.

Game aint perfect, but what mmo is ?
    Always something to bash, even i did bash ESO for the horrible Animations and UI and minor addon support.

But ESO has one damn fine pvp zone, and it seems the PVE might be just ok.
    Instand purchase after the beta weekend.

Might not be your stuff to play but plenty of choice in todays dawn and age right ?

This discussion has been closed.