Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We had another short test alpha run today.

ProtuniaProtunia Member Posts: 111

Today's test was short, but the lag was gone on the servers and the game ran nicely.  I was able to run from server 33 all the way to 39 and get some SS's there.  Still had a couple of issues with servers going down and up that will be worked on this week.   I think Bobik and crew are really close to getting the server things figured out and the official closed Alpha should be starting soon.  The next test alpha run should be sometime next week. 

Here are a few Screen shots I managed to get while climbing up into the mountains of some amazing views.

Comments

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54
    Very nice pics, gives some hint how truly massive the gameworld really is.
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Originally posted by himods

Total area (sq. meters): 470 017 800

Land mass area (sq. meters): 306 155 600

Iron ore deposits (cubic meters): 2 686 160 196

Copper ore deposits (cubic meters): 1 585 786 189

Silver ore deposits (cubic meters): 17 192 576

Gold deposits (cubic meters): 8 103 766

Total trees: 2 807 269

Be aware that these are not all availble resources by a longshot.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Saxx0n

How many people per server ? Sound kinda small for a sandbox, I could see it being ok with less than 5k people.

Originally posted by Azoth

How many people per server ? Sound kinda small for a sandbox, I could see it being ok with less than 5k people.

It is larger than any sandbox that has been created to this point that I am aware of and is absolutely massive and I know because I have been in the world. It actually makes you feel really small when you are there. You can trust in the fact that new servers will be opened and the game will not suffer from over crowding in any way.  I seriously doubt there will be more than 5k players per server and those player numbers are larger than any mmo server pop in any game that I am aware of and all of those are instanced and zoned. Life is Feudal is not zoned in any way at all.

It is larger than any sandbox that has been created to this point that I am aware of and is absolutely massive and I know because I have been in the world. It actually makes you feel really small when you are there. You can trust in the fact that new servers will be opened and the game will not suffer from over crowding in any way.  I seriously doubt there will be more than 5k players per server and those player numbers are larger than any mmo server pop in any game that I am aware of and all of those are instanced and zoned. Life is Feudal is not zoned in any way at all.

It might sound big but 300 square km land mass really isn't that big. 10km x 30km, on foot you can probably run at 10km/h

So the map is 1hour per 3hour travel time, like I said I find it a bit small for a sandbox. Can't find information about wurm online map size but I am pretty sure it is around that at least. And that game have about 500 people playing.

To put in perspective Cyrodiil, the pvp map of TESO is 100 square KM, so LiF is only 3 time the size of it.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

It might sound big but 300 square km land mass really isn't that big. 10km x 30km, on foot you can probably run at 10km/h

So the map is 1hour per 3hour travel time, like I said I find it a bit small for a sandbox. Can't find information about wurm online map size but I am pretty sure it is around that at least. And that game have about 500 people playing.

To put in perspective Cyrodiil, the pvp map of TESO is 100 square KM, so LiF is only 3 time the size of it.

There is also a teraforming aspect correct?  Wouldnt the expand the world considerably?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Originally posted by adderVXI

There is also a teraforming aspect correct?  Wouldnt the expand the world considerably?

I don't see how modifying the land could add to it's size. Still limited by server boundaries.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Originally posted by adderVXI

I don't see how modifying the land could add to it's size. Still limited by server boundaries.

I guess that would depend on how you "expand"   I mean if you could start moving underground that expands the playable area.. but I can't think of a full fledged MMO that has allowed for that kind of terraforming. 

TESO has very little data info it has to deal with and has the luxury of being bigger as a result. The world map in Wurm is tiny in comparison on the pvp servers anyways, I never played the pve servers so I wouldn't know there.

edit- the common regular pop of a wurm pvp server is around 30 people online at any one time, that is about it if that many.

TESO has very little data info it has to deal with and has the luxury of being bigger as a result. The world map in Wurm is tiny in comparison on the pvp servers anyways, I never played the pve servers so I wouldn't know there.

edit- the common regular pop of a wurm pvp server is around 30 people online at any one time, that is about it if that many.

Wurm world is 264 square km, so like I said it's close, and no one plays it. Imagine the same world with thousands .. Today's standards should be way more than that. There is no way for you to hide a small town in a deep forest in a map like that. Like I said, unless the max population is low, it will be too small for a owpvp sandbox.

Darkfall map is about 1000 square km, over 2 times that of LiF.

Wurm world is 264 square km, so like I said it's close, and no one plays it. Imagine the same world with thousands .. Today's standards should be way more than that. There is no way for you to hide a small town in a deep forest in a map like that. Like I said, unless the max population is low, it will be too small for a owpvp sandbox.

Darkfall isn't a sandbox its is ffapvp and resource nodes like WoW and you can only build static cities in set places is why it can be this large.

The pvp mechanics in Life is Feudal have owpvp but this is only a small part of pvp and it has extremely harsh penalties for gankers. Most of the pvp is kingdom vs kingdom and the and the game will never suffer from overcrowding as they will just open more servers.

From your measurement of 264 sq km is half the size of Life is Feudal map.

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Azoth Imagine the same world with thousands .. Today's standards should be way more than that. There is no way for you to hide a small town in a deep forest in a map like that. Like I said, unless the max population is low, it will be too small for a owpvp sandbox.

I would like a bigger map as well, but the are certain problems that comes with it. One of the reasons for Darkfalls failure was the huge, dead mass of land and that you could wander around for hours looking for some action. 

And there is always the expansion option, if needed.

• ProtuniaProtunia Member Posts: 111

Ok I just want to get the size of the worlds right that is all.

Wurm Independence and Chaos the biggest maps and servers.

These servers are 4096x4096=16777216 each tile is 4 meters square so that is....268,435,456 

Life is Feudal is....470 ,017,800 

So Basically its 16.3k x16.3k for the older Big wurm servers.

( They don't make those anymore the new ones are 1/4th the size. )

Life is Feudal is about 21.6k x21.6k  and 201,582,344  bigger over all. 

Now if you compare to the newer smaller servers Wurm uses like Pristine its like...8.2k x 8.2k

470,017,800 / 268,435,456 = 1.75 of the old Wurm Servers.

470,017,800 /  67,108,864 = 7 of the new Wurm servers.

So it is big and takes way more than 1-2 hours  to travel across. I would bet you could not travel across in 5 hours all 7 zones from edge to edge.

• RomusRomus Member Posts: 1

Nice pics!

Save journey . :-)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Protunia

Ok I just want to get the size of the worlds right that is all.

Wurm Independence and Chaos the biggest maps and servers.

These servers are 4096x4096=16777216 each tile is 4 meters square so that is....268,435,456 

Life is Feudal is....470 ,017,800 

So Basically its 16.3k x16.3k for the older Big wurm servers.

( They don't make those anymore the new ones are 1/4th the size. )

Life is Feudal is about 21.6k x21.6k  and 201,582,344  bigger over all. 

Now if you compare to the newer smaller servers Wurm uses like Pristine its like...8.2k x 8.2k

470,017,800 / 268,435,456 = 1.75 of the old Wurm Servers.

470,017,800 /  67,108,864 = 7 of the new Wurm servers.

So it is big and takes way more than 1-2 hours  to travel across. I would bet you could not travel across in 5 hours all 7 zones from edge to edge.

Pretty sure EVE is much bigger but it does not have teraforming as in modifying space itself.

• FaystFayst Member Posts: 2

you find videos of the latest alpha test and more on my streaming site.

http://twitch.tv/faysttv

{{ Fayst's Stream }} {{ irc.enterthegame.com #themercs }}

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Harsh penalties for gankers?  Awesome.