Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Dishonored, and other FPS/TPS with skills improvement RPGs?

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,525Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scalpless

It depends on the prominence of the game's RP elements. First of all, role-playing isn't just getting a character and playing through the story. The term implies you get to influence the story somehow. That's why Deus Ex and Mass Effect are RPGs while the 2013 Tomb Raider isn't.

Then, there's the overall gameplay focus. Dishonored has a (barely, but it's still there) branching storyline and some character development, but it's a stealth action game. Its focus is on sneaking around or fighting, not on developing your character.

And lastly, the thing about character development. It's a part of any story, but in RPGs you get to influence it. Elizabeth and Booker develop a lot in Bioshock Infinite, but it's out of your control, so it's not a part of gameplay.

Basically, characters play roles in all stories, but the player gets to play with those roles in a role-playing game.

Though that would mean the elder scrolls games aren't role play games.

It's a shame but you can't influence the story with the exception of a handful of quests strewn across the series and none of the main or guild quests.

The only thing you can do is step outside all of those stories and imagine your own motivations or even forgo those quests.

• crack_foxcrack_fox WellingtonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

For my part as Editor, we're trying to stick to games that actually consider themselves RPGs, officially... Same with ... Zelda, which most won't consider an RPG even if Nintendo says it is.

We're trying to walk a finer line with RPGs than we have with MMOs.

It's your fine line so it's your call, but it seems a little arbitrary. If Nintendo considers Zelda to be an RPG (officially) what is it about that title that leads you to exclude it?  (Genuine question - I haven't played a Zelda game since the heyday of the N64 and I don't recall much about it).