Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard is back with a vengeance outside of WoW: good news

Comments

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

The success of Healthstone depends on the success of WoW - you must have played WoW in order to understand Hearthstone - so Hearthstone has a limited audience.

Well with 7 or so million active accounts, plus another at least 3 million but probably a whole lot more than 3 million who have played WoW.  That sure sound like an awfully limiting audience to me.   

I happened to give away a beta invite to someone who just wanted a casual game to play on her PC (never played WoW)   she kicks my butt at it.

Add in when Hearthstone hits phones and tablet (something in my opinion it is better designed for)  yea well.

Heros of the storm looks fun,   im nto a big MOBA fan personally only played LOL for a short while to figure out i didnt like it, i will certainly be trying Hereos as it seems a little more my style for that type of game.     I didnt purchase d3 xpac, but i was never a huge fan of the diablo series, SC2 is fun,   not as much fun for me now as it was when i was younger (Actions per Minutes vs Strategy meh). However i will definately be buying the Protoss Expansion as i love the story line and campaign gameplay.

edit spelling (and its not all fixed need more coffee!)

• StarCraft 2 instantly removed all doubt of Blizzard's ability to make great non-WoW stuff, and Hearthstone and Reaper of Souls are proving ther abilities again. Initial Diablo 3 has been their only misstep so far, and even that was a good game. Just not as good as it should have been. I think SC2 easily is their highest quality game since WoW's release.

Their WoW stuff has been fairly dubious after TBC, but maybe WoD will help.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

Yes, let's go back to adoring Blizz mindlessly after they enhanced the sequal to one of the best aRPGs just for money despite many people foolishly saying it would ruin the game. We should especially kneel for Them and throw money at Them after They admitted Their fuck up, 2 years later because nobody would buy a full-game-priced expansion for a game that contains every chinese gold/item farmers' wet dream.

But that's not all. They also made a game that blessed the TCG world with it's remarkably shallow gameplay and it's graceful ambition to extract money out of us, blessed ones. Oh Blizz, you are too good for this world and we thank You for Your choice to enlighten us with Thy holy presence.

Especially Their CEO, the true God of gaming has inspired us with so many treasures and pieces of wisdom. Here are some examples:

On the conditions in which a game should be made:

"The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

"I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression."

On how we should treat in game cut scenes:

“If we were to take that hour, or hour and a half, take it out of the game, and we were to go to our audiences for whom we have their credit card information as well as a direct relationship and ask, ‘Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?’, my guess is that … you’d have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever.”

Our God on how innovation should be in the industry:

"Kotick responded not by addressing any of the games by name, but by talking about Activision’s publishing philosophy. The games Activision Blizzard didn't pick up, he said, "don't have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential and have the potential to become $100 million franchises. … I think, generally, our strategy has been to focus… on the products that have those attributes and characteristics, the products that we know [that] if we release them today, we'll be working on them 10 years from now."

So let me end this prayer by kneeling before Blizzard, so that once again that empty feeling in our nether regions can be fulfilled with happiness.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Two words one number.

Dark Souls 2.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    It's gonna take a lot more than a card game and a really late fix for a terrible franchise ruining game to reignite my trust in Blizzard and their development team again.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    The only thing "Brilliant" about Blizzard games is their return on investment.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    It's gonna take a lot more than a card game and a really late fix for a terrible franchise ruining game to reignite my trust in Blizzard and their development team again.

Well said, and agreed.

• reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by BadSpock

D3 was always "good" since I started playing it, 2.0 made it 10x better, RoS 10x better still.

Heroes of the Storm might make me actually play a MOBA. 

D3 was always good?

HoS a good MOBA? :D

Have you not seen the videos?

I understand being a blizzard fanboy mate... but REALLY.

Well, I really enjoyed D3, I played more than 200 hours and for me it's one of the best game I never played. And yes, I also played D2 when I was young. 

HoS look fun and I'll give it a try, only because I hate shop in LoL or DOTA so I think HoS will be perfect for me. 

Everytime someone like a Blizzard game, someone call him a Fanboy... But, Blizzard is very popular and big, because their games are good. 

Some people always hate what Blizzard do just because they want to be different. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by sportsfan
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    So they make a card game and finally get round to making D3 decent a mere 2 years after they release it? OK.

Both are incredibly good games instead of decent though and while "good" is subjective, their popularity on Twitch speaks volumes.

Just be glad the focus is lift off from WoW for all.

Agreed.

In fact, D3 sold 15M boxes even BEFORE the fix .. now it went from good to great, and it shoot up to #2 on Xfire, beating even LoL.

Hearthstone is a pretty good CCG .. and the software itself is slick. Good, of course, is subjective, but I have yet to find a Blizz game that is not fun to me. So yeah, they get my money (but i doubt they need my support, given how big a financial success D3 is already).

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by sportsfan

Now I consider it the best game Blizzard published since 2005.

That is not saying much at all.

Outside of Wow they only release StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 since 2005 (actually since 2010 as it was only WoW before that). StarCraft 2 was horribly short and didn't actually improve itself over the first and Diablo 3 is not a good game either compared to pre 2005 Blizzard games.

If it was their best game since 1995, that would have actually been saying something.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Diablo 3 was a very good game with a few minor missteps, but with those I can at least applaud Blizzard for trying something new, regardless of their motivation. Most of the people complaining about it were the same type of folks who complained that D2 wasn't a carbon copy of D1. Patch 2.0 made a good game great, and RoS turns that great game into a fantastic one.

Don't care about Starcraft 2. To me that franchise has always been a poor man's WH40K clone, and to that end if I do play an RTS it's usually one of the Dawn of War games.

Don't like CCGs. They rely a bit too much on luck for my tastes. And yes, luck is always a factor no matter how well you build your deck. If I were to play one it would probably be Hearthstone though.

Heroes of the Storm looks good. MOBAs are a game style I've tried to get into repeatedly, as they can be great fun. Sadly games like LoL and Smite seem to attract the absolute dregs of PC gaming, and any fun to be had is quickly squelched by the caustic behavior of their communities. HotS might well be a good game, but judging from the lack of policing in WoW, Blizzard probably isn't going to do much to keep the community in line. I most likely won't be playing it.

WoW is still one of the best theme park MMOs out there, with a decade's worth of polish and content. I've since moved on, but it kept me entertained for over 6 years. I probably won't be buying WoD though, as I'm happy with FFXIV.

Blizzard isn't 'back'. To me they never really went away to begin with.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Don't like CCGs. They rely a bit too much on luck for my tastes. And yes, luck is always a factor no matter how well you build your deck. If I were to play one it would probably be Hearthstone though.

Heroes of the Storm looks good. MOBAs are a game style I've tried to get into repeatedly, as they can be great fun. Sadly games like LoL and Smite seem to attract the absolute dregs of PC gaming, and any fun to be had is quickly squelched by the caustic behavior of their communities. HotS might well be a good game, but judging from the lack of policing in WoW, Blizzard probably isn't going to do much to keep the community in line. I most likely won't be playing it.

Blizzard isn't 'back'. To me they never really went away to begin with.

I am the opposite on this issue. I am more interested in Hearthstone than the blizz MOBA. I just can't get into MOBA because i can't compete with kids my sons' age on reaction time and manuevering. CCG, OTOH, is more a thinking game (with randomness, of course).

D3 .. of course, i agree is a great game now, and i have lots of fun with it.

• kostanzakostanza Member UncommonPosts: 59
    This thread needs the disclaimer: "This paid advertisement has been brought to you by Blizzard."

I thought only EVEs employees use this forum as their primary marketing location...
    Originally posted by kostanza
    This thread needs the disclaimer: "This paid advertisement has been brought to you by Blizzard."

I thought only EVEs employees use this forum as their primary marketing location...

wait ... so people can't like blizz games and talk about it here?

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by kostanza

wait ... so people can't like blizz games and talk about it here?

I have to agree with the guy. The guys posting history is a bit too Blizz focused

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Whatever. I've always been puzzled by the appeal of Blizzard's games. I know they're popular and very successful, but I've never really enjoyed anything of theirs that I've played. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by crack_fox

Whatever. I've always been puzzled by the appeal of Blizzard's games. I know they're popular and very successful, but I've never really enjoyed anything of theirs that I've played. 

So basically you are puzzled that other people will have different tastes than you?  Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by crack_fox

So basically you are puzzled that other people will have different tastes than you?  Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not in the slightest. 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    While I like ROS, the D3 expansion, its not worth $40.  Most of my friends and clan members playing it echo similar sentiments.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    i agree about the D3 expac, but HEX > Hearthstone by an order of magnitude.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by itchmon
    i agree about the D3 expac, but HEX > Hearthstone by an order of magnitude.

Can't agree with you more.

ROS is decent at the moment but I can see it failing to have the staying power I was hoping for since the adventure mode isn't randomizing the game like I had hoped.

Hearthstone is laughable. While it's simplicity is charming to some, I think it feels shallow since I have played many CCG's. I am also in the Hex beta and that CCG is a better option to me on all accounts.

Heroes of the storm looked like a game I could play on the weekend and be bored of by Monday. Can't say much more since I haven't played it other than it doesn't look like a better option in the MOBA realm.

WoW is dead to me and has been for years. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

I can agree that D3 is better now and even fun to play but honest OP Hearthstone what the hell have you been smoke it is really not that fun for honest it is P2W game the more real money you spend on buy card the easy it will get to win that game.

And as one of them who was in Beta for Hearthstone blizzard promise that them who was beta should get Hearthsteed which i have not got so the went back on there promise instead the are bribe everyone win 3 game and the mount and honest if game is that good you as say company should not need to bribe people with item to other game just so the should join there new game is game is as good as you say it should stand on there own 2 feet which Hearthstone atm is not.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by GuyClinch
    Diablo III reaper of souls has a metacritic user rating of 7.1. That's better then the first one (3.9) but its on par with such luminaries as Defiance. If that's the kind of 'vegenance' Blizzard is back with - I can pass..

Someone... please slap this guy for using metacritic as a good source of judging a game as good.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    it looks unfortunately that blizzard will only make a new big mmo if wow gets low enough numbers.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

The diablo 3 expansion is way to late and after wayyyyy to much crap, hearthstone has disappeared off the face of the earth, heart of the swarm is horrendous in the eyes of anybody that would play a moba on top of being just another knock off, etc., etc., etc.