Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WildStar Worth $60?

Comments

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    For a some people it is worth it  for others , not so much. I fall in the latter category.

This could end up being very interesting.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Like others have said,  you'll have to try it for yourself.. and with all the beta events they are running, you shouldn't have a problem getting a key and testing it.  I was lucky and got a key... and after playing one weekend.. I didn't find it was worth the 60 dollars.  I found it was worth 80 and I bought the deluxe edition.  

Thats not to say that I'll play it forever.. or more than the first month.. but I will say that I had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to more playtime.  

I don't think this game plays like SWTOR or WoW,  but I'm not going to lie and say I think its entirely original.  I just find it fun to play,  whatever its like.  I can't ask for much else

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

I just copied and pasted this from a previous thread... Sends basically the same message, and the threads OP question is included (red).

Originally posted by Viadric

These two new upcoming MMO's coming out Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online the price for these games is $60. On top of that they want to make you pay for a sub fee of $15.  Now I understand that $60 is the main standard for games now and days, but for a game that requires a sub fee with it. That's a little much. The previous two mmo's I bought was Guild Wars 2 ($40) and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. ($30) I Also preordered the Warlords of Draenor expansion for $40.

Would you say that $60 is worth it if the game has a sub fee tacked on and the fact that most new mmo's that release like this usually go either F2P or die off?  (Not saying that's going to happen but, we see the trend these past few years.) 

Ya know OP, I'm going to say it's NOT worth it. Keep the $ and invest it in ... oh ... stocks... or ... some new venture. Use that hard earned cash on some other entertainment; a movie night; a nice dinner; maybe on the next carnival coming to town. Spend that deniro on some new clothes, an oil change for your vehicle. Put that wonga to good use, OTHER than these games. 

It IS worth it to me though, so I'll be playing.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I really hate the "is it worth it" question threads.  Why?  Why would I hate something that's so black and white based on opinion of the individual mind....because it's a blank slate question based on personal opinion of an individual mind.

What one person considers worth it for $60 another person could consider it total garbage.   Take for example the garage sale a person had many years ago that sold a painting for $10 because they thought it was junk they just wanted to get rid of; turned out to be a Van Gogh worth $100,000's.....the whole "one man's trash is another man's treasure" isn't to be simply given that the perspective of the person seeing it as trash, but instead the perspective of the many that sees it as a treasure.

So to the point of my rambling incoherence:  Original Thread Creator, please take your own likes and dislikes into account of making a personal opinion of whether YOU see the game as worth your time, money, and effort.   That is the only right answer:  Your own to your own question.

My own opinion:     I post this as an after-the-fact given to answer the Thread Creator's question as to express my own opinion on the subject.  Yes, I do very much believe the game is worth the cost.   

The box+subscription argument can very much go against the whole box+DLC/Season Pass argument and it would essentially be a tie, more or less.   For any FPS/RPG game, they each have DLC that is only a couple hours (6) at most with very little replayability, yet are on the same price point.   Maps get repeated over and over again in an FPS just as I suppose Battlegrounds/Arenas do in MMO's; however a counter argument can be given for such that War Plots give customizable maps with variety (just as WvW and it's dynamic map flow did give unique experiences each time logging in).

Another example of replayability in Wildstar on the PvE side would be those fantastic Adventures, mind you I've only personally experienced the one Prison Riot one, but each of my 4 runs were uniquely different and never the same thing as previously ran.

A really sticking point is the individual customization and control I have in my character development.   There's costumes, mounts, and housing customization that can be ever overstated based on the sheer amount available to each of them.     

These levels of customization combined with player development, combined with enjoyable RPG PVE goodness, combined with PvP (both customized and not).....all these things together over a course of a year + is more than enough entertainment content to justify the price point for me.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by popezaphod

Question: Is WildStar worth $60 plus a subscription?

History: I played WoW from Open Beta through BC, then came back for WotLK and quit before Cata.  I like Vanilla WoW through BC very much but am not a fan with where the game has gone since then.  Vanilla WoW is my "gold standard" for MMOs.

I played RIFT from maybe 1.4 through much of Storm Legion.  I got burned out but really enjoyed the game and the mechanics.

Some other games I tried:

• TERA - Fun but no end game to speak of
    • Neverwinter - Fun but really grindy end game
    • ST:TOR - Boring
    • LotRO - Boring
    • Secret World - Didn't like the setting, didn't hold my interest
    • FF XIV - Not bad, but I've never been a big FF fan and it didn't hold my interest

I like themeparks and despise PvP.

I have no interest in ArchAge nor TESO.  

I have been very interested in WS but I am not willing to pay $60 for a game I may only play for a week.  I never got into any of the betas, so I have no experience with WS at all.  I have read many posts from people saying, "This game is great!" and just as many posts saying, "This game is horrible!"  

So tell me: Do you think this game is worth $60?

Starting today, we have an unexpected beta weekend, raising max lvl to 20 up from 17. You can try it yourself now. I hope i ll be online too :)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by poyozo

Well, If you are a fan of Vanilla wow through BC then you are the demographic that this game is shooting for. If I'm not mistaken, about half the devs in Wildstar are ex Blizz devs from the Vanilla Wow era and they are making this game explicitly for the Vanilla WoW fans.

I can tell you from personal experience that the game is very fun. The combat and animations are fluid and feel nice. The world is huge and completely open. That said, having played the beta a few months ago, it needs polish. I just don't know if its worth the 15$ a month tag.

I can't find any comparison to Vanilla WoW in Wildstar.  In fact I recently played a few bata weekend and am currently playing Vanilla WoW.  Absolutely nothing matches at all.

Wildstar is a cluster of quick trills with nothing lasting more than 3 min. It's like you will run at least three hundred quest by the time your level ten.  This alone makes the game a solo game, so you better have a good voice chat program and play with people that you really click with if you would like to play with others.

Vanilla WoW being more difficult than other mmos as of the last few years, could be relaxing with a feeling of immersion in the world.  Wildstar is crazy fun.  Some would like it, many will get tired of the crazy fun fast.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by delete5230
    Originally posted by poyozo

Well, If you are a fan of Vanilla wow through BC then you are the demographic that this game is shooting for. If I'm not mistaken, about half the devs in Wildstar are ex Blizz devs from the Vanilla Wow era and they are making this game explicitly for the Vanilla WoW fans.

I can tell you from personal experience that the game is very fun. The combat and animations are fluid and feel nice. The world is huge and completely open. That said, having played the beta a few months ago, it needs polish. I just don't know if its worth the 15$ a month tag.

I can't find any comparison to Vanilla WoW in Wildstar.  In fact I recently played a few bata weekend and am currently playing Vanilla WoW.  Absolutely nothing matches at all.

Wildstar is a cluster of quick trills with nothing lasting more than 3 min. It's like you will run at least three hundred quest by the time your level ten.  This alone makes the game a solo game, so you better have a good voice chat program and play with people that you really click with if you would like to play with others.

Vanilla WoW being more difficult than other mmos as of the last few years, could be relaxing with a feeling of immersion in the world.  Wildstar is crazy fun.  Some would like it, many will get tired of the crazy fun fast.

I have to agree. Wildstar has very little resemblance to vanilla WoW, if at all. If i had to compare it to WoW, maybe cataclysm would be the closest.

WS is a good game, no question for that, but the crowd they are looking for is not the same that enjoyed vanilla WoW.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by deniter

I have to agree. Wildstar has very little resemblance to vanilla WoW, if at all. If i had to compare it to WoW, maybe cataclysm would be the closest.

WS is a good game, no question for that, but the crowd they are looking for is not the same that enjoyed vanilla WoW.

I enjoyed vanilla WoW and i m enjoying Wildstar beta aswell. I don't care if its a clone or similar to WoW, the thing is that its a game of great quality and fun. Thats enough for me :)

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by deniter

I enjoyed vanilla WoW and i m enjoying Wildstar beta aswell. I don't care if its a clone or similar to WoW, the thing is that its a game of great quality and fun. Thats enough for me :)

I may give it another shot this weekend. Maybe i try a different class or something and see if the gameplay changes later on. Hopefully it just starts in 'tutorial mode'. Would like to see some crafting and dungeons too. But i still have to admit i'd prefer to play this game with a pad and not a mouse + keyboard.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    If you play WoW and enjoy it, you may like Wildstar. It's your typical themepark quest grinder, raid grinding mmorpg. You can level pretty quickly in the battlegrounds if you don't want to quest. Myself, it's just not for me, I'm done with grinding gear and the typical themeparks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

In today's market I really honestly do not think any game is worth 60$. Just like I don't think any DVD/Blueray movie is worth full price. Everything will be on sale in three to six months and there is lots of things you propably haven't tried you can try while the price drops.

When it comes to themepark MMOs this is even more the case since there is no advantage to play the game early, it just costs more but you don't get anything for those extra cash. The world is locked in stasis, there are no real achievements, no villages to build first, no mountains to tear down or anything of the sort. The game in three or twelve months will still be the same. Only thing that might have changed is some balancing fixes and tweaks to classes/races/whatever.

So save your money, play a free game or enjoy summer at the beach. Once winter hits you can pick up WildStar in the bargain bin alongside Elder Scrolls: Online and lots of other summer releases.

• Path4Path4 Member Posts: 35
    It was worth $48 to me from GMG.  If I only play for a few months and enjoy myself then it was way worth it.  If you get bored after a week maybe games aren't for you.
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

wildstar looks and feels like a AAA mmo but it feels after a while like something is missing like dungens and more group play.

you almost never group with others.wort 60$ but not the subscription fee.

they will have be put more things into the game to make me buy and sub.

everquest next has no sub.and it will be better.

I played the beta and left feeling something is missing,will buy one day not sub.wait for expantios or something.

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Yes. Wildstar is a lot of fun
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

If a game can provide me with at least 100 hours of enjoyable playtime, it's worth 60$ in my book. Whether or not someone will enjoy Wildstar enough to play it for at least 100 hours is completely up to that individual person.

Provided that you like the game in general, I think that it already has enough content (questing, dungeons, adventures, raids, PVP) that you will be able to play it for more than just 100 hours.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

If you are finding that you don't like any game except for WoW (based on your post) then I'd say that you probably will find much the same with Wildstar. It's fun and all, but it's no less boring than SWTOR or LOTRO, so you'll probably hate it. 

If you felt like you wouldn't spend the money on either of these games, then Wildstar probably isn't worth it for you. I'll probably play it, myself, at some point, but after the beta it isn't really something that I feel an immediate need to play right out of the gates. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    After reading your list of what you don't like, Id say either wait for Occulus Rift or go  play single player games.

There Is Always Hope!

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

To me, no, Wildstar is not worth it, at best I found it to be mediocre.

Having said that, I can see how it would appeal to some people, and to them it is worth it.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

If you enjoy WoW, dungeons, raids, and quest hub to quest hub leveling, the game is worth $60 easily.

If you are tired of WoW style game play, this game is not worth $60.

It really is that simple IMO, nothing wrong with the game, it's just not for everyone.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The beta weekends at this point are super easy to get into.  Or you could pre-order from a 3rd party to get beta access then cancel if you don't like it.  Green Man Gaming is still doing a 20% discount (you can find the code elsewhere on these forums).

If you are tired of quest hubs, do yourself a favour and level via PvP then Adventures then Dungeons. Pretty much the same way people always levelled in WoW.  

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by popezaphod

Question: Is WildStar worth $60 plus a subscription?

History: I played WoW from Open Beta through BC, then came back for WotLK and quit before Cata.  I like Vanilla WoW through BC very much but am not a fan with where the game has gone since then.  Vanilla WoW is my "gold standard" for MMOs.

I played RIFT from maybe 1.4 through much of Storm Legion.  I got burned out but really enjoyed the game and the mechanics.

Some other games I tried:

• TERA - Fun but no end game to speak of
    • Neverwinter - Fun but really grindy end game
    • ST:TOR - Boring
    • LotRO - Boring
    • Secret World - Didn't like the setting, didn't hold my interest
    • FF XIV - Not bad, but I've never been a big FF fan and it didn't hold my interest

I like themeparks and despise PvP.

I have no interest in ArchAge nor TESO.  

I have been very interested in WS but I am not willing to pay $60 for a game I may only play for a week.  I never got into any of the betas, so I have no experience with WS at all.  I have read many posts from people saying, "This game is great!" and just as many posts saying, "This game is horrible!"  

So tell me: Do you think this game is worth $60?

What you are asking is how much bang for your dollar you get.

Not easy to do as - nominally Wildstar is a sub based game. Option to "generate" additional play time though..

So - as an example and using MADE UP NUMBERS:

Wildstar 5,000 hours content vs. TSW's 1,000. Wildstar clear winner?

However if you only average 100 hours play a month then then the comparison might be: 

Wildstar 5,000 for $1,500 vs. TSW's 1,000 hours for $60.

Now if you like Wildstar then - because you didn't like TSW - Wildstar may still be the winner FOR YOU.

Compare the setting, the graphics, the story, the UI - whatever but when you compare a sub based game to a non-sub based game ... its harder. If you like Wildstar and end up paying subs it could cost you a lot more than $60 - and, as I say, be worth it to you.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

I wont be subbing to any MMO which dont have better combat than Wildstar so im saving money every second from now on.

I own quite many MMO accounts but theres no way im going back to them,if i ever go back to tab targeting then game needs to be atleast something like Ultima Online 3d.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by PAL-18

I wont be subbing to any MMO which dont have better combat than Wildstar so im saving money every second from now on.

I own quite many MMO accounts but theres no way im going back to them,if i ever go back to tab targeting then game needs to be atleast something like Ultima Online 3d.

You do realize that Wildstar does not have tab-target combat, right?

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I think WS is the first WoW clone that's actually better than wow. 

It's got better combat

A better setting

Better animations

It's slick, well polished, and tons of fun. If you love the wow-esque themepark then give WS a shot It's really solid.