Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

20 Reason to buy Elder Scrolls Online (Video)

13

Comments

  • shadylurkershadylurker goodyear, AZPosts: 47Member
    1. This video touches on subjects and only emphasizes possible strengths while ignoring it's weaknesses
    2. The circle jerk is forever strong.
     
    Honestly All your points can be debated.  The graphics are about on par with Age of conan which came out in 2009 yet AOC has a longer draw distance, ect.  The voice acting is ok, sometimes it BREAKS immersion.  i could go on and on...
     
     
    I mean circle jerk all you want.
     
     
    Just do it alone. in the confines of your home.
     
    The only people who are joining the circle jerk are fans already and wouldnt disagree unless someone paid them with another form of shiny.
     
    FYI i pre ordered.  lets just not be delusional amongst ourselves.
     
    It plays nothing like ES games of the past. The lighting is decent. textures and animations are sub par.  It's the same hamster wheel quest grind hub mode as all mmo's of the past, ect. ect. ect. ect.
     
     
    PULL YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.
  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by shadylurker
    1. This video touches on subjects and only emphasizes possible strengths while ignoring it's weaknesses
    2. The circle jerk is forever strong.
     
    Honestly All your points can be debated.  The graphics are about on par with Age of conan which came out in 2009 yet AOC has a longer draw distance, ect.  The voice acting is ok, sometimes it BREAKS immersion.  i could go on and on...
     
     
    I mean circle jerk all you want.
     
     
    Just do it alone. in the confines of your home.

    Yes the graphics are similar to AoC.  Which is a plus for me, I liked AoC's graphics, and played it until it went F2P.  The difference is AoC had a hard time running 50+ players on your screen at a time, even with a top of the line computer.  The game engine couldn't keep up.  In ESO, you can have 200 people on your screen and your framerate "might" drop by 5 fps.  I held steady at 60 fps the entire time no matter what was going on, on Ultra.

  • zevni78zevni78 grimsbyPosts: 1,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I agree 100% with every single point in the video.  This is a good review video too :D

    Thanks, and I admit I am jealous of your Imperial.

  • zevni78zevni78 grimsbyPosts: 1,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by shadylurker
    1. This video touches on subjects and only emphasizes possible strengths while ignoring it's weaknesses
    This is a video about why I bought the game, so of course I am going to list the strengths, I have been very critical of the game in the past, and thought I would address my change of heart. The weaknesses as I said in my Core of the Lore Pt.1  video are small, and unlike all other comparable mmos, there is no deal breaking weakness for me such as bad questing or combat.
     
    I may do a "20 flaws in ESO" video, but a lot of people have already covered them so many times, that's the reason I am getting such positive reactions from many places for this vid, I leave all those tired points out. i don't ignore these flaws, and if you pay attention I still mention a number of issues with the game, and Zenimax's behavior.
     
    1. The circle jerk is forever strong.
    People agree with my points, there is no need to be vulgar about it. 
     
    Honestly All your points can be debated.  The graphics are about on par with Age of conan which came out in 2009 yet AOC has a longer draw distance, ect.  The voice acting is ok, sometimes it BREAKS immersion.  i could go on and on...
    So can I, I have degrees in design and computer animation and see subtle but important technical and art design improvements ESO has over AoC, but they are close due to the fact that not much time has passed between their development bearing in mind mmos cannot progress as fast as other genres due to more limitations. And anyway I wasn't claiming the graphics are unique or ground-breaking, but that the art style is appropriate for the other factors that aid immersion. Voice acting is tricky to get right for every scene, but its better than walls of text constantly breaking immersion.
     
     
     
    I mean circle jerk all you want.
     
     
    Just do it alone. in the confines of your home.
     
    The only people who are joining the circle jerk are fans already and wouldnt disagree unless someone paid them with another form of shiny.
     
    FYI i pre ordered.  lets just not be delusional amongst ourselves.
    Delusion is not a term justified by any of your criticisms.
     
     
    It plays nothing like ES games of the past.
     
    The questing layout, and certain weapon's combat where very similiar for me to Skyrim's, (eventually) and of course as an mmo there will be differences but for e.g. I had a sudden encounter with a Daedric Prince in Daggerfall that felt identical to one I had in Skyrim the week before, so much so that I forget which was in which game. As I addressed in my video it is unreasonable to expect too many similarities, but it is far closer than any other mmo by far, and yes I think it can be closer, and will be campaigning for such changes, but plays "nothing" like TESO games?.
     
    The lighting is decent. textures and animations are sub par.  It's the same hamster wheel quest grind hub mode as all mmo's of the past, ect. ect. ect. ect.
    I don't remember more than perhaps 2 if even that quests picked up at once from major areas, most quests were found through exploration, or triggered chains like in TSW, can you show me screengrabs of multiple npcs with quest indicators in the same area as in a WoW village?
     
     
    PULL YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

    Please calm down and stop talking like an angry 10 year old boy on his Xbox shooter teamspeak.

     

     

  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx California, WAPosts: 1,985Member Uncommon

    Most of the points were quite general and could be applied to any of the recent MMO release. Just take ESO name out of the video and it could be any MMO.

    However, i think you have a great future in doing this for living and i would like you to make more videos. Keep up the good work.

  • DullahanDullahan Posts: 2,053Member Uncommon
    Was this video created by a british android?


  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,442Member Uncommon

    IDK if it is everyone's settings but the view distance seems terrible ,everything is always fogged out and LOD drops off mere feet in front of the players.Other than some weak animations due to limited vertices the rest of the game looks fine.

    The only bummer for me is i always need to have a nice world to look at ,not 1080p but i don't like LOD being really low.The players look great up close everything else around the player looks dull.

    I would have to say the mention of movement combat not needing to be so reliant on the keyboard is definitely a good thing,i hate looking at controls,i rather enjoy the game.However there is always a draw back,less control less depth,merely r-click or l-l-click then gets boring after a short while.I guess there will never be a happy medium just choose whatever game can hold your interest .

    IMO TESO is doing a lot of things right but still not the game i am looking for.


    Samoan Diamond

  • gwei1984gwei1984 GrazPosts: 373Member Uncommon

    Great vid, great voice (god i would like to have a british accent)

    You dont need to rely on any fluff or shallow rants like many others do in their vids. Shows just how much quality you have.

    Keep it up!

    Hodor!

  • DEAD.lineDEAD.line LisbonPosts: 424Member

    Great video OP. It's nice to see someone make a video with a more clam voicetone.

    As for your points, some i agree, some i disagree, mainly immersion and roleplay. Immersion for me in mmos is really tricky, but it gets worse when the game tries to make me feel special and unique, while other players are doing the exact same thing as me. 

    As for roleplay, no chat bubbles is annoying for me. And rping in themeparks always felt abit difficult. BTW, is there really stealing? I know there's lockpicking, but i didn't see any steal mechanics.

    Anyway, good vid, and wouldn't mind seeing some more in the future. image

  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon
    There is one single reason enough I will NOT buy: WASD instead of mouse to move avatar. 
  • JHenryJHenry Downers Grove, ILPosts: 188Member
    Originally posted by Wizardry

    but still not the game i am looking for.

    Create a MOD for skyrim or moddable game for it to be your liking. Not everything you like will be in a game.

    SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

  • StimzStimz Claysville, PAPosts: 76Member
    Very well done video, I already had the imperial edition pre-ordered, but you got my hype up some more with all that game-play ^^ 3 Days :D

    image

  • zevni78zevni78 grimsbyPosts: 1,133Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

    Most of the points were quite general and could be applied to any of the recent MMO release. Just take ESO name out of the video and it could be any MMO.

    However, i think you have a great future in doing this for living and i would like you to make more videos. Keep up the good work.

    I can think of a number of points which don't apply to any recent (as in the last year) mmorpg I am aware of, retical combat, and 1st person, Defiance and Planet side 2 has these, but are not mmorpgs, the 3 way pvp can be found in GW2 and RIft at 60, but both have issues that ESO may be able to avoid, we shall see. Fully voiced npcs applies to only 2 others I mentioned, but both lack most of the other features listed, and its how they combine I focused on. I can think of no other AAA mmorpg with retical action combat that works other than TERA, I wish there was more, and mega server tech is only just coming in to other mmos, the points I listed where ones I would seriously miss from other mmos if absent, so its that ESO alone has all and none other has even most that draws me to it.

     

    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Was this video created by a british android?

    I wish. (seriously though I know I have a too even tone, I need to develop a more conversational broadcast manner)

     

    Originally posted by Wizardry

    IDK if it is everyone's settings but the view distance seems terrible ,everything is always fogged out and LOD drops off mere feet in front of the players.Other than some weak animations due to limited vertices the rest of the game looks fine.

    The only bummer for me is i always need to have a nice world to look at ,not 1080p but i don't like LOD being really low.The players look great up close everything else around the player looks dull.

    I would have to say the mention of movement combat not needing to be so reliant on the keyboard is definitely a good thing,i hate looking at controls,i rather enjoy the game.However there is always a draw back,less control less depth,merely r-click or l-l-click then gets boring after a short while.I guess there will never be a happy medium just choose whatever game can hold your interest .

    IMO TESO is doing a lot of things right but still not the game i am looking for.

    I didn't notice these LOD issues, maybe they can work on it, it may be something they can optimize, and not a hard limit of the engine, I won't say there is any single game I am looking for, but ESO is the themepark that works on enough levels, as EQN looks like the king of sandbox I want. Its just that we are shortly to be spoiled for choice with sandboxes, ESO seems the last themepark left being made I can enjoy.

     

    Originally posted by gwei1984

    Great vid, great voice (god i would like to have a british accent)

    You dont need to rely on any fluff or shallow rants like many others do in their vids. Shows just how much quality you have.

    Keep it up!

    I can rant when I need to, but I am hoping to find a niche as more of a voice-essay maker, something like "The MMO-Thesis" podcast.

     

    Originally posted by DEAD.line

    Great video OP. It's nice to see someone make a video with a more clam voicetone.

    As for your points, some i agree, some i disagree, mainly immersion and roleplay. Immersion for me in mmos is really tricky, but it gets worse when the game tries to make me feel special and unique, while other players are doing the exact same thing as me. 

    As for roleplay, no chat bubbles is annoying for me. And rping in themeparks always felt abit difficult. BTW, is there really stealing? I know there's lockpicking, but i didn't see any steal mechanics.

    Anyway, good vid, and wouldn't mind seeing some more in the future. image

    I put some chat bubbles onto some of the footage in the vid at one point, people didn't like it, I think there's a tone developed that TESO players feel doesn't work with chat bubbles. Not sure if its needed these days, with voice morph and teamspeak, and who knows if other mmos may adopt EQN's style of facial motion capture.

     

    As to stealing, there will be the Thieves Guild put in an early update, probably consisting of stealing from npcs for missions and a crime system, I imagine it would be rather hard to pull off for pvp.

     

  • ScotScot UKPosts: 5,762Member Uncommon

    I have no time to watch the videos posters increasingly put on forums. Please put a summary of your video in your post.

    Thank you.

  • rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon
    Kind of like some others here have already said, I'm still not sold on ESO.  However that doesn't mean I don't "appreciate" your video and it's presentation.  I think you did a great job and  I can see you gaining a following of viewers if you continue to make videos.  Even if they are about ESO image  (I have to get my jab in there).

    "If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

  • AroukosAroukos AthensPosts: 571Member
    I don't like TESO and i wont buy it, but the video was indeed well made.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,778Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Was this video created by a british android?

    Pretty cheap shot. I'm not sure how you got that, but maybe you have some type of distortion from your speaker system.

    IMHO and most people here, we feel he did very well. 

    OP,  you did better than many people could ever think of doing. Keep up the good work.

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,610Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Was this video created by a british android?

    Pretty cheap shot. I'm not sure how you got that, but maybe you have some type of distortion from your speaker system.

     

    Lol... his picture icon... Data from Star Trek?

  • ColdrenColdren Nowhereville, TNPosts: 456Member Uncommon
    Have to agree, great video! And I agree with all your reasons.
  • Castielle101Castielle101 Boring, ORPosts: 81Member

    @ OP: Ignore the hate man!  There will be a certain amount of it no matter what you put on the internet.  Not everyone appreciates the work it takes just to make a 20 minute video that's well presented and entertaining (which I thought you did an excellent job of).  

     

    @ everyone else: You can debate the points all you want, but at least give the guy credit for making a good video.  

     

    Cas

    Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki

  • zevni78zevni78 grimsbyPosts: 1,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scot

    I have no time to watch the videos posters increasingly put on forums. Please put a summary of your video in your post.

    Thank you.

    You could always play it in the background as the visuals are just accompaniment, these are the bullet points I used.

     

    1   retical combat/character controls

    2   speaking npcs

    3   art style, colours, aids immersion,

    4   1st person mode

    5   varied difficulty crafting

    6   story

    7   decisions made during conversations

    8   pvp, sieges and massive numbers

    9   open progression, roles, gear and weapons

    10   multiple classes and factions for alterholics

    11   3 factions rather than 2

    12   minimal UI

    13   established Lore

    14   sub not f2p

    15   rpg mechanics such as lockpicking and thieving

    16   the engine

    17   smaller hotbar

    18   mega servers

    19   exploration

    20   IMMERSION

    21   *Bonus Reason *   large amount of content at launch

     

    I go into detail and compare with other mmos, but I kept it brief, could have used a lot more examples, but the length appears to be popular.

  • KnotwoodKnotwood Missoula, MTPosts: 1,103Member
    Aw you should have made him  watch the video, you robbed him of a great commentary from you....    edit your post and make those people watch them,  after all its the best video that's ever been made on the game to date.
  • JHenryJHenry Downers Grove, ILPosts: 188Member
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Aw you should have made him  watch the video, you robbed him of a great commentary from you....    edit your post and make those people watch them,  after all its the best video that's ever been made on the game to date.

    That poster did say he won't watch the vid. We can't force people to watch if they don't want to lol.

    SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

  • ScotScot UKPosts: 5,762Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by zevni78
    Originally posted by Scot

    I have no time to watch the videos posters increasingly put on forums. Please put a summary of your video in your post.

    Thank you.

    You could always play it in the background as the visuals are just accompaniment, these are the bullet points I used.

     

    1   retical combat/character controls

    2   speaking npcs

    3   art style, colours, aids immersion,

    4   1st person mode

    5   varied difficulty crafting

    6   story

    7   decisions made during conversations

    8   pvp, sieges and massive numbers

    9   open progression, roles, gear and weapons

    10   multiple classes and factions for alterholics

    11   3 factions rather than 2

    12   minimal UI

    13   established Lore

    14   sub not f2p

    15   rpg mechanics such as lockpicking and thieving

    16   the engine

    17   smaller hotbar

    18   mega servers

    19   exploration

    20   IMMERSION

    21   *Bonus Reason *   large amount of content at launch

     

    I go into detail and compare with other mmos, but I kept it brief, could have used a lot more examples, but the length appears to be popular.

     Thank you for that and I agree with nearly all your reasons!

  • d_20d_20 AmsterdamPosts: 758Member Uncommon
    Thanks for the video. It killed about 20 minutes. Now I just have to wait another 27.5 hours.

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.