Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard is back with a vengeance outside of WoW: good news

sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

It dawned on me after playing the latest Diablo 3 RoS expansion. I was wrong, I thought the Diablo franchise was dead after RoS would hit the streets...

Now I consider it the best game Blizzard published since 2005. A pity lots of players will not even play it due to the bad reputation they got with the initial release.

On to Hearthstone. Anyway, I agree with Reynad that former Magic champion who now streams on Twitch by saying that Hearthstone by its simplicity and smooth fast fun is already better with its 380 cards than Magic on Line ever was.

----

So ... what has this to do with MMORPG.COM ?

Well, fans of the mmorpg genre can be back fans again ... without wading through thousands of useless hate posts against WoW or Blizzard.

The success of D3 and HS will free up the minds of those who felt enchained by an industry struggled by WoW game play.

It is also a win/win for all. At least now Blizzard is again capable of making OTHER games again, that was unheard for years as SC2 and the original D3 were bleak attempts of old glories past and the years before that everyone was focused on one single game much too hard. 

Enjoy your (mmorpg) games again.

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    So they make a card game and finally get round to making D3 decent a mere 2 years after they release it? OK.
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    So they make a card game and finally get round to making D3 decent a mere 2 years after they release it? OK.

Both are incredibly good games instead of decent though and while "good" is subjective, their popularity on Twitch speaks volumes.

Just be glad the focus is lift off from WoW for all.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Blizzard should only have concentrated on WoW and Starcraft.

The success of Healthstone depends on the success of WoW - you must have played WoW in order to understand Hearthstone - so Hearthstone has a limited audience.

Hearthstone is also pay-to-win.

The graphics of WoW should have been improved / updated far more. 

I expect that the WoW pet battles will be pay-to-win (attend Blizzcon for another I win button) so I'm giving WoW a wide berth.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

The success of Healthstone depends on the success of WoW - you must have played WoW in order to understand Hearthstone - so Hearthstone has a limited audience.

I don't agree at all. WoW as the only franchise would kill Blizzard in the long run.  

D3 and Hearthstone show they can make great games again outside of WoW since vanilla times.

I don't think either you needed to play WoW to enjoy Hearthstone. Many streamers like Reynad came over from Magic without being WoW players.

Besides WoW was already burned on so many people's minds (100 million subs/testers over 9 years time according to Blizzard PR team), I don't mind a few% of the 2 billion smart phones coming in either.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

So what TCG do you not have to pay for packs...online or offline?

Plus you can buy them with gold you win for playing.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The graphics of WoW should have been improved / updated far more. 

I expect that the WoW pet battles will be pay-to-win (attend Blizzcon for another I win button) so I'm giving WoW a wide berth.

Pay to win arguments are stupid. You need to buy the game to be able to win it in the first place. Every game is pay to win.

Yes, I'm being awkward for the sake of it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Diablo III reaper of souls has a metacritic user rating of 7.1. That's better then the first one (3.9) but its on par with such luminaries as Defiance. If that's the kind of 'vegenance' Blizzard is back with - I can pass..
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by sportsfan

On to Hearthstone. Anyway, I agree with Reynad that former Magic champion who now streams on Twitch by saying that Hearthstone by its simplicity and smooth fast fun is already better with its 380 cards than Magic on Line ever was. 

I really don't care who said that... it's an utterly idiotic statement.

Hearthstone will never be as big or as deep as Magic is (it can't, mechanic-wise)

Sure it's fast and casual-friendly, but that's exactly why it will never take Magic's throne.

Twitch ratings mean absolutely nothing.

..Cake..

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

Both are incredibly good games instead of decent though and while "good" is subjective, their popularity on Twitch speaks volumes.

Sorry, i can't agree with the OP the Reaper of Souls is still a trash game and Diablo 3 is still a trash game :( Was not expecting anything anyways but having tried it I can be sure its still trash. This is just pure opinion on both sides

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

It is also a win/win for all. At least now Blizzard is again capable of making OTHER games again, that was unheard for years as SC2 and the original D3 were bleak attempts of old glories past and the years before that everyone was focused on one single game much too hard. 

Please leave SC2 out of this.

Nothing wrong with SC2 and expansions single player parts, also the Arcade is delivering a lot of fun.

SC2 was not a fail.

Originally posted by Mavolence

Sorry, i can't agree with the OP the Reaper of Souls is still a trash game and Diablo 3 is still a trash game :( Was not expecting anything anyways but having tried it I can be sure its still trash. This is just pure opinion on both sides

That's your personal opinion, but frankly most of the rest of us who ... actually play the game ... know that's a very marginal point of view from a minority.

Even the ridiculous "metacritic" "user" reviews show this: the positive meaningless "10"'s far outweigh the even more meaningless "0"'s.

Diablo is back with a vengeance and everyone knows it unless they are still too occuped by their usual Blizzard hate which ... btw ... stems from Blizzard dominating the mmorpg kind of games much too much for other fans.

This kind of view is understandable but never ever was constructive either.

Just be glad Blizzard brings out other games right now. And since the 2 latest ones are top dogs on Twitch, I am pleased I am not the only one noticing it.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I found Hearthstone got quite boring and repetitive very quickly. In the end it just boils down to flavour of the month deck builds and then it's just luck as you don't need to think very hard after a while.

Trust me, you will feel the paywall as you hit mid/high ranks and realise you simply can't compete without several legendaries (or a whole bunch as the next flavour of the month deck hits). Not that there is anything wrong with paying, they gotta make their money somehow, however the game doesn't offer enough depth to really care and it boils down to little skill involved.

As for D3, I feel like that ship has sailed. Although I enjoyed the heck out of the combat mechanics and the challenge/satisfaction of having beaten the game on Hell, it still left a pang of bitter disappointment in one glaring aspect: The unforgivably atrocious itemisation/auction house. They took one of the greatest aspects of the series and utterly destroyed it.

I find it slightly amusing that the OP thinks Blizzard is 'back with a vengeance' with a casual card game and an xpac. No, the big project they are working on behind the scenes will see them back with a vengeance, even if it's another MMO.

O_o o_O

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

A pity lots of players will not even play it due to the bad reputation they got with the initial release. 

That's kind of what happens with cash grabs, you essentially trade the goodwill people have in your IPs name for sales here and now, with the expectation that sales of future products will suffer. They sold a fuckton of copies of Diablo 3, something like 13 million I think, so the RoS sales numbers will be interesting to see.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Mavolence

That's your personal opinion, but frankly most of the rest of us who ... actually play the game ... know that's a very marginal point of view from a minority.

You don't "know" anything. You suspect it based on heavily biased, anecdotal evidence/experience. Also, appealing to popularity, as you are doing, is a logical fallacy.

Even the ridiculous "metacritic" "user" reviews show this: the positive meaningless "10"'s far outweigh the even more meaningless "0"'s.

lol! You acknowledge the stats as being "meaningless", yet proceed to use them as a measure of its popularity anyway. Don't think I've ever seen that before lol.

Diablo is back with a vengeance and everyone knows it unless they are still too occuped by their usual Blizzard hate which ... btw ... stems from Blizzard dominating the mmorpg kind of games much too much for other fans.

A game finally becoming something closer to what it should have been in the first place - certainly more in line what players expected it to be - is not "back with a vengeance". It's called a developer coming to their senses and realizing "oops, I guess we followed our greed a little too far there... Better turn it around...". 

This kind of view is understandable but never ever was constructive either.

It's the person's opinion. It doesn't have to be constructive. It's no less valid than you raving about how amazing it is. It's certainly more valid than you knowingly using meaningless metacritic stats to boast the game's popularity as some kind of meaningful statistic.

Just be glad Blizzard brings out other games right now. And since the 2 latest ones are top dogs on Twitch, I am pleased I am not the only one noticing it.

Well that's good. They've come to their senses, managed to release a couple games that people are finding fun, and it's getting Twitch coverage. Awesome. Good times for a Blizzard fan, certainly. 

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Well that's good. They've come to their senses, managed to release a couple games that people are finding fun, and it's getting Twitch coverage. Awesome. Good times for a Blizzard fan, certainly. 

And apparently a pain in the ass for some. Good Lord, we now have to shit on other games than their MMORPG too ! :)

Comments are quite comical actually in view of the popularity of these latest games.

What should we do ? :) Perhaps getting a life would be interesting.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

I couldn't help but be reminded of a video by the topic title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M94ii6MVilw

On topic: I agree. WoW is heading in a right direction for a change!

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

You do understand that the two are irrelevant from each other. They have a Hearthstone team, which was quite small I believe and a Diablo team.  One did not affect the other.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by hfztt

Please leave SC2 out of this.

Nothing wrong with SC2 and expansions single player parts, also the Arcade is delivering a lot of fun.

SC2 was not a fail.

That was his opinion, as yours is that SC2 is a good game, everyone is entitled to their oown opinion of a "good" game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

SC2 was/is very good, both original and first xpac. I'm betting 3rd and final chapter announced at Blizzcon this year.

D3 was always "good" since I started playing it, 2.0 made it 10x better, RoS 10x better still.

Hearthstone is good, I agree.

Heroes of the Storm might make me actually play a MOBA.

WoW and Warlords of Draenor? Meh. I'll pass I think.

I may be done with traditional MMOs entirely.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by BadSpock

D3 was always "good" since I started playing it, 2.0 made it 10x better, RoS 10x better still.

D3 was always good?

HoS a good MOBA? :D

Have you not seen the videos?

I understand being a blizzard fanboy mate... but REALLY.

..Cake..

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I was thinking of playing Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls.  I installed and started playing one of my characters.  The main problem seemed to be that the game is fairly similar no matter what you do.  You can change up your abilities if you want some variety, but it's mostly kill and loot using the same mechanics that are working.  There isn't much else to do.  I guess that's not different from the old Diablo games though.  Perhaps I just don't have the patience for it anymore.  I also noticed the equipment is dropping like candy now and since it almost always has stats for your character you will find yourself even more overpowered in no time.  If I recall in Diablo 1 and 2 you usually worked on getting sets of armor that were good for your class.  I'm not sure if they added sets or not.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by sgel

D3 was always good?

I didn't start playing D3 till like, September 2013 so yes, it's been good since I've started playing it. My first playthrough start to finish was on Xbox 360 actually.

I've seen a few videos for HoS - having never really played a MOBA before it looks good/fun to me. 

I'm sorry you think your opinion is fact, that is very sad.

Originally posted by Flyte27
    I was thinking of playing Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls.  I installed and started playing one of my characters.  The main problem seemed to be that the game is fairly similar no matter what you do.  You can change up your abilities if you want some variety, but it's mostly kill and loot using the same mechanics that are working.  There isn't much else to do.  I guess that's not different from the old Diablo games though.  Perhaps I just don't have the patience for it anymore.  I also noticed the equipment is dropping like candy now and since it almost always has stats for your character you will find yourself even more overpowered in no time.  If I recall in Diablo 1 and 2 you usually worked on getting sets of armor that were good for your class.  I'm not sure if they added sets or not.

I suggest you keep playing as with RoS you only get through the story ONCE and you don't need to redo it if you don't want to. Not even with a new character. The 4 times all over of all Acts has been DELETED.

The key word is "free roaming" here. Because the adventure mode and Rifts are new playing grounds which is free of choice for the player. Yes the Green sets of Armor are still in the game and it will take masses of time to acquire them.

The exciting news is that Blizzard now wants to create seasonal PVE contests in which you find seasonal specific gear and rewards, which would make the game even better than ladder systems.

Of course in its core game play you need to like searching for always better gear to meet the challenge of ever increasing difficulty settings. You start with Master or Hard (normal is for your grandma) and slide through 7 more difficulty settings which makes grinding a new verb in Diablo.

To me D3 is best game this year by far. Others may not like its eternal grind.

Originally posted by sgel

D3 was always good?

I didn't start playing D3 till like, September 2013 so yes, it's been good since I've started playing it. My first playthrough start to finish was on Xbox 360 actually.

I've seen a few videos for HoS - having never really played a MOBA before it looks good/fun to me. 

I'm sorry you think your opinion is fact, that is very sad.

Calling Badspock a Blizzard fan boy is the same as calling Oprah a mute in view of his old posts.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

If they would have sold it for that price as a combo including the orriginal D3 game, i would have been taunted to buy it...

they did not

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)