Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glad I didn't purchase the Expansion

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

While ARPGs aren't about the story, you'd think the story would be at least not completely awful in a AAA game like this. They clearly spent a lot of money on cutscenes, yet couldn't find a decent writer? How's that even possible?

I'm sure no one expects Planescape: Torment -quality writing from a Diablo game, but what Blizzard is producing right now is probably worse than what I'd write and there's a good reason why I haven't tried earning my living as a writer. At least it's not as bad as bad writing in a story-focused game. Hello, BioWare!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I dunno.  I bought the CE (I'm an avid Blizz CE collector for some reason).  I don't tend to keep playing the games but I dig having art books and music because some of the scores are excellent.  That being said, I like what they did with RoS.  I played and beat DIII in no time.  I didn't think the AH was a good idea and the logon issue was terrible.  I think O/L games that aren't directly MMOs are shooting themselves in the foot.

They added a fun new class (Crusader), they added Adventure mode for people like me who HATE having to replay the same story over and over, and frankly they fixed loot drops.  Just through Act 1 I had 2 legendaries. One of which genuinely hurt to stop using but it was too low.

If you think the Crusader is easy play on Hard/Expert.  Everyone keeps criticizing "normal".  I think the first time I died on Hard/Expert was on Maghda and that was because I was an idiot and got swarmed with my health on CD.

• GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I am glad I bought it. I dont care that much about the story but atleast I had my revenge on a witch and I enjoy doing bounty hunts and rifts. Thats what Diablo is all about, get better loot with every run.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    I have played a ton of ARPGs: the previous two Diablos, TQ and its expac, the two Sacreds, the first Divine Divinity, two of the Dungeon Sieges, both Torchlights, PoE, and probably a bunch I forgot. I honestly can't tell you what their stories are but that is partly because none of their stories are really that engaging. There is a big weenie to kill at the end of them and you build your character by killing endless mobs, crawling endless dungeons, scooping up endless piles of gold and loot, finding gear, etc. It is basically like a fancy form of Gauntlet, which I also love to play. Either you get it or you don't but story is not really ever one of the big, defining factors of ARPGs. It seems like a really odd complaint to be frank, considering that this genre is known to be based around combat, dungeon crawling, loot, and character building.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am glad i bought it .. adventure mode and rifts are great. And story .. what story? When i want a story in a game, i go play TombRaider.

D3 is about dungeon crawling, build experimenting, and becoming more powerful. In in that, the game excels. Combat is phenomenal, and random dungeon means the game has almost infinite content.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

The story was decent for an ARPG, I didnt go into it expecting Mass Effect levels here.  Diablo has always been about grinding for loot, Remember Baal runs?  Meph runs?  That was the game for many people.

(Curse you Etheral Wormskull! CURSE YOU!!!)

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Yep, I just spent the last 3 hours watching the full play-through on Youtube. I have to say, they did a great job~ the story is one for the books! Yep, that's right... it definitely sucks. The story is incredibly predictable, the ending is extremely anti-climatic and there's just not enough for me to justify putting $39.99 towards an already failed (in my perspective) release. I honestly don't know what'll become of this franchise. I really did hope for the best but I just don't see it with RoS.

What are you opinions? Have you played through it or seen all of it?

What? Diablo series had a story too? 

Sorry i didn't notice it while i was busy being a loot whore. image image

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Derros

The story was decent for an ARPG, I didnt go into it expecting Mass Effect levels here.  Diablo has always been about grinding for loot, Remember Baal runs?  Meph runs?  That was the game for many people.

(Curse you Etheral Wormskull! CURSE YOU!!!)

I thought the story was decent as well. Especially if you talk to the NPCs and listen to the log books that drop.

But people will complain about just about anything here...so go figure.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

you don't understand its not just the 10 new levels ,after you finish it opens up adventure zones that you play with clan members it spawns every day new challenges randomly over the whole 70 levels.

its fun every day you can play for a view hours or play the whole day,you don't have to play the game over and over again like it was.

also rifts open with new challenges after you completed you 5 quests,ill keep it and when I feel like kicking ass play now waiting for eso.

ill play tomorrow again D3 ros.

a good buy now out is dark souls 2 where people can spawn to you,on pc 25 april I don't know if it classifies as an mmo but a multiplayer of sorts.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

.. and enjoying the combat action.

RoS story is no more or less than all the "here is the big bad guy ... go fight 1000 mobs, with occasionally sub-boos, get to him, then kill him" stories out there. It is good enough to give us an excuse to kill & loot in fun ways.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

glad i didn't buy it too. only because i will be playing ESO in less than 3 days.

believe me, i was still very tempted. :D

hopefully by the time i am ready for a break from ESO the D3 expansion has come down a little in price.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I am glad i bought it .. adventure mode and rifts are great. And story .. what story? When i want a story in a game, i go play TombRaider.

D3 is about dungeon crawling, build experimenting, and becoming more powerful. In in that, the game excels. Combat is phenomenal, and random dungeon means the game has almost infinite content.

My apologies to one of the biggest fans of D3 in the universe.

Yes RoS is excellent and the game is better than before. I was wrong.  Dead wrong.

After playing it, I changed my mind as the long term play is absolutely there with the promised seasons in PVE gear competitions.

D3 RoS is probably the best game of 2014. It certainly has the best combat. I just hope it sells well so we have more expansions.

A pity lots of people will ignore it though. They have no clue, but I can't blame them as I was convinced RoS would mean the end of D3.

Greetings.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Good for you?

Games fun again, don't give a crap what others think.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Yep, I just spent the last 3 hours watching the full play-through on Youtube. I have to say, they did a great job~ the story is one for the books! Yep, that's right... it definitely sucks. The story is incredibly predictable, the ending is extremely anti-climatic and there's just not enough for me to justify putting $39.99 towards an already failed (in my perspective) release. I honestly don't know what'll become of this franchise. I really did hope for the best but I just don't see it with RoS.

I play TESO for story and immersion and I play Diablo for it's fun dungeon crawling fast paced combat full of loot.

May be just me but I would say you got it all wrong.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

This guy answered better than I did.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Actually I liked the story, talking with various npc one can get a bit the lore of the world, and I like that stuff. That said, what have me playing is not really thestoryper se, when I log in Diablo my fun is in blasting away  gazillion of mobs and seeking a better piece of loot and, for me, D3 do that. get togheter a few people hit the adventure mode, dungeon crawl and blast the moobs in the mos fun way possible. I like when I am on some higher terrain and succed o blast the mobs to high heavens and down the cliffs.
    Originally posted by sportsfan

A pity lots of people will ignore it though. They have no clue, but I can't blame them as I was convinced RoS would mean the end of D3.

Greetings.

Greetings.

Don't worry. It shot up to number 2 on xfire beating even LoL ... so I don't think RoS is selling badly.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    I got pretty tired of it quickly... Was disappointed. 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

You just watched a full play through of an expansion on youtube . . . for 3 hours.

I don't think Blizzard or D3 is the problem. You are certifiable.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

While simple, the story was fine. The dialogue (for the most part) was written much better than the vanilla game, Malthael's strategy was sound and he didn't constantly taunt the player or reveal his plans (like a certain Lord of Sin who was supposed to be a brilliant strategist). His motivations were a little 'meh', but at least they were understandable. The ending was all right, pretty standard cliffhanger stuff which could be interesting if taken in the right direction (allowing the Nephalem to choose between good and evil in the next expack would be awesome).

I really like the stories of the companions. Kormac's was too predictable, but Lyndon's and Eirena's were both well done. Neither were particularly complicated, but the end of Lyndon's (part of it anyway) left me wanting to know more, and I honestly didn't see what happened with Eirena's story coming at all. The best was Covetous Shen's though. Always liked that character quite a bit (James Hong does a brilliant job), and the end of his quest was genuinely touching and well written.

I didn't care for the little political jibes though. I play games to get away from that kind of thing, and I don't appreciate it being shoved into my entertainment, regardless of the views expressed matching my own or opposing them.

Very happy with the expansion, both from a narrative standpoint and a gameplay one. $60 well spent IMO. Can't wait for the next one.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Unlike the Nobel prize worthy story of the other games...? Story have never been the strong point of these games to be honest. It has always been on the vanilla side of generic fantasy.

I can agree with the length.. It is on the short side of things.

This have been a good conversation

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303

I'm kinda confused. What's the point of watching an entire play through before buying the game? I suppose it's a good thing that you won't spend the money on it since you didn't like it. But, what if you really had liked the story? What the hell is the point to playing through it now? It be one thing if it had 5 different endings based on choices like Silent Hill 2 did, but it sounds like it only has one ending. Now you have no surprises left, you know what's coming. For good or bad, I'd rather be surprised.

This is like having someone read you an entire book before buying it. I just don't get it.

• DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Well l just read this, and now l'm LMAO.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I think the expansion is great. It's kind of nice to have kind of a backstory, and it does, and it's weak, and I'm not sure I care about the story that much. I play to slaughter things and try builds, and just to enjoy the mindless killing. I also play a lot with a couple friends. We still have D2 on our comps and play that here and there, mostly D3 since it came out. I'm sure it will be a mainstay on my comp, it's pretty fun just to see how far we can push things.
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

The bad items just turned me away. The items are just plain boring even with the remade loot. Yellows can roll 4 primary and 2 secondary stats. Legendarys might be nice but yeah so I got a wand that does the same thing as a rune, great. Why not make a secondary rune system instead of a boring leg?

The main reason I dont buy RoS is that all you hunt for are legendarys and gems. That is it. No runes that can be used to create rune words, no need to farm a white item to use the runeword on, no juwels, no charms .... just some boring gems that have more of the same stats you get on every other item.

There just isnt something like, I farm x to build y to get z. Where z is a unique ability not found on anything else. True, there is the ring but wow, 1 item! IF they added a whole system like this then the game might have been good. But like this imo it is the same as the basic D3: boring.

People just dont want much and are way too easily pleased nowadays. I mean come on... they added a GEM woohuu! Blizz is the greatest. Another act, holy cow, Blizz you are the one and only. A mode to teleport everywhere which was basic in D2, hell if I could only meet the genius who had thought of this original and unique idea, you did it again Blizz!!! Maps-system without modifiers like all other arpgs seem to have these days**, sry I ment to say Rifts... such a wonderfull thing!

**edit: the other arpgs do have modifiers like increases mobs, drops, xp and what not.

And at the people who say "noone cares about the story anyway" if that is true then all you do want is a generic, mindless game with hordes of stuff to kill and ~10 stats to stack. Sure you want to farm but I'd rather farm in a game world that has a reason to exist than a game without any story or worse, a bad one.

Just so much wasted potential