Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roleplaying in ESO

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

As allways, i plan to do a lot of roleplaying in game...

I have been thinking about a role, and i decided that my main will be a bard, traveling the roads of  tamriel in search of his identity (and soul) ...  the actuall game allows you to start out with a blank sheet, and totally base your character upon ingame actions, as as far is i am concerned, my character has forgotten all about his past when he lost his soul...   "Bachus the Bard"  sounds epic to me...

So anyone else planning to roleplay?

And do you think the setting and game mechanics will support this?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• JHenryJHenry Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I have been thinking about a role, and i decided that my main will be a bard, traveling the roads of  tamriel in search of his identity (and soul) ...  the actuall game allows you to start out with a blank sheet, and totally base your character upon ingame actions, as as far is i am concerned, my character has forgotten all about his past when he lost his soul...   "Bachus the Bard"  sounds epic to me...

There's a list of emotes you can do to be able to roleplay a bard such as playing the lute, flute, or drums. The problem is that you are stationary doing emotes. You probably need a voice chat and guitar/musical instrument to be able to fully immerse yourself ala malukah in the game though.

The setting support this since there are taverns that welcomes your kind/role.

SOLA - www.solaguild.com
    (christian guild. Being christian is not required for membership though)

• meticmetameticmeta Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I certainly plan to roleplay. I've even created a guild. Though it will be more for alts because of the slow nature of it. There is a lot of interest in roleplaying in ESO. Though less in the Aldmeri Dominion than in any other. People don't seem to be able to separate the Elves of ESO with the Elves of Skyrim. Which is a shame because AD is in my opinion the best of the three as far as early story.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by cura
    Not without chat bubbles. Im not gonna waste my time wondering who is saying what watching irc channel. Its worse then power rangers couse they at least move their heads when talking ;-)

Seriously there are no chat bubbles? God it seems like a simple thing, yet so many mmos fail at that.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

I wish they add option to choose to play with RP gamers only.

I think i saw somewhere that they are thinking somekind of system so theres hope.

until then,no chance.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

All of life is role-playing; all of life is a game.  There are winners and losers; we level up our skills over time as we grind out our existence.  We are born into our world; we play out our lives as some sort of character; and then we die.

We just haven't quite figured out the respawn/resurrect mechanism IRL... not yet...

• intiorizedintiorized Member UncommonPosts: 143

Yes but do not know what my role could be right now. I´m always thinking about it when i´m in bed ^^

I really like crafting so maybe i see myself as a supplier, crafting swords and armor for the fighters who defend my alliance. Also i like the idea starting with a blank sheet, making his way through the world building my existence and help others to do the same.

http://www.northlanders.rocks

1st German Crowfall Guild

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I will be spending time doing some RP as well, the minimal UI and rich world makes it easy for me to use my imagination.

I'm certainly not cut from the same cloth as the hardcore peeps that walk everywhere, but I do have my moments.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

No chat bubbles - no immersion - no RP.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by JHenry

There's a list of emotes you can do to be able to roleplay a bard such as playing the lute, flute, or drums. The problem is that you are stationary doing emotes. You probably need a voice chat and guitar/musical instrument to be able to fully immerse yourself ala malukah in the game though.

The setting support this since there are taverns that welcomes your kind/role.

I plan to be more of a story telling bard, and the lute emotes really will be helpfull with that..

Originally posted by cura
    Not without chat bubbles. Im not gonna waste my time wondering who is saying what watching irc channel. Its worse then power rangers couse they at least move their heads when talking ;-)

Chatbubbles would have been nice.... but i think i can handle this withouth chatbubbles..

please lets not turn this intoo a chatbubble topic, we have had enough of those.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

To me, RP doesn't have to be "over-the-top" and come with a mandatory requirement to spout "Ye Aulde Englyshe" wherever you go. I'm not an "RP nazi", to me it's not an "all or nothing" scenario, because that is what discourages most people from even trying imho.

I often do simple things like walking instead of running inside buildings, dismounting from my horse before ascending the stairs to the door, not riding my horse inside structures, sitting down before logging out (sleep emote is great for this), greeting NPC's that I've "met" before, using random emotes now and then just for effect (stretch, yawn, cough, etc.).

I don't stay "in character" all the time, far from it. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood, pressed for time, rushing to meet a guildie or whatever. But spending a little bit of time every now and then "behaving like a real person" increases my immersion, and most likely also does for those other players that take the time to notice.

I really appreciate the fairly rare occasions when I see other players doing RP stuff ingame, even if they just occasionally walk from the banker NPC to the crafting table. It makes the visual tapestry of the game world that little bit richer for me. image

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

To me, RP doesn't have to be "over-the-top" and come with a mandatory requirement to spout "Ye Aulde Englyshe" wherever you go. I'm not an "RP nazi", to me it's not an "all or nothing" scenario, because that is what discourages most people from even trying imho.

I often do simple things like walking instead of running inside buildings, dismounting from my horse before ascending the stairs to the door, not riding my horse inside structures, sitting down before logging out (sleep emote is great for this), greeting NPC's that I've "met" before, using random emotes now and then just for effect (stretch, yawn, cough, etc.).

I don't stay "in character" all the time, far from it. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood, pressed for time, rushing to meet a guildie or whatever. But spending a little bit of time every now and then "behaving like a real person" increases my immersion, and most likely also does for those other players that take the time to notice.

I really appreciate the fairly rare occasions when I see other players doing RP stuff ingame, even if they just occasionally walk from the banker NPC to the crafting table. It makes the visual tapestry of the game world that little bit richer for me. image

Very much my approach as well as very well explained.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IndhyIndhy Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Distopia

Same here. image

Originally posted by Indhy
    Originally posted by Distopia

Same here. image

Ii wish more people where in thes ame both, this comes very close to my attitude... If everyone. Behaved like this, the world of tamriel would be a better place

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

Not without meaningful player influence in the world. I find it pointless to RP in themeparks, especially a themepark on forced rails like ESO. Have been playing P&P for more than 25 years now and love it. Also very much enjoyed RP in SWG and the old Neverwinter Nights (not an MMO I know).

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Join RP guild, use Guild Channel for RP.  The guild can be as large or as small as you like.  That should to the trick, for the most part.
  • Dax360Dax360 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    You'll find a good source of RP information as well as a lot of other people planning to RP in game over here: http://teso-rp.com/
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    not into heavy rp myself , since i dont know alot of lore about elder scrolls anyway , tho i Always play on rp servers since i tend to do some light rp and overal i like to see others rp to .
    Originally posted by Dax360
    You'll find a good source of RP information as well as a lot of other people planning to RP in game over here: http://teso-rp.com/

Great find, going to check it out now..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

This is pretty much "me".

I don't "roleplay" in games but when I am solo I try to immerse myself and my character in the world. I try to walk, never stay on my horse in shops, and I have a bit of a back story for my character.

As it stands, I"ve been playing the same Elder Scrolls character since Morrowind and have adopted story reasons why it's the same  character from Morrowind to Skyrim, even though Skyrim takes place a few hundred years after.

I'm strongly thinking of creating story reasons to use the same "character" now that ESO is in the past.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139

I always plan to roleplay in any new mmo, I always join the RP server (if there is one) and RP guild and really think about my character and the way they look. I'm finding it harder and harder to RP these days though, mainly because most mmos just aren't suited to it. The only time I RP is in LOTRO and that's fairly infrequent these days. I hope ESO suits roleplaying, but I'm not so sure. We'll see I suppose.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    Go to one of the roleplaying sites like TESO-RP. Find the thread on how to join the guild that will keep roleplayers phased together. Until they put a RP phasing tag in we are going to find it hard to even be in the same phase as each other.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I think Zenimax could do much better to support the RP community which I imagine will be sizable for TESO, but it's very possible to RP and have a great time. I did so with a few guild mates. Also, this is from our guild for how we plan on Role Playing:

OUT OF CHARACTER [OOC] CHAT

This will be handled in 2 places.

/g1 [Guild Chat] and on Skype.

Anyone who hasn't already joined our Skype group, I strongly recommend you do so soon. Please post if you have not, and would like to. We'll get you set up.

Skype will become much more important when we handle more difficult challenges as a group such as PvP or dungeon/boss encounters, when we will need to update each other very quickly on the ever changing situation.

IN CHARACTER [IC] CHAT

This will primarily be handled in public

/say and /yell, occasionally resorting to /group if the public chat is just too hectic.

Of course /e or /emote should also be made use off to communicate character actions, expressions, etc.

ROLE PLAYING THROUGH QUESTS

Grouping up to Role Play quests can be incredibly fun. However, everyone involved should realize that they will progress through the quest much slower due to the role play 'downtime'. Rather than rushing through a cavern, you may role play that you see tracks, for example. You and your allies might stop to have a discussion or interact with the world between combat.

During combat situations, deal with the threat first of course. Unless for some reason you want to RP that your character is getting beat up...

Communicate choices you make while speaking with NPC's to ensure your quest phases align. Treat as much of it as real life as possible.

ROLE PLAYING IN PVP

This MIGHT happen, but only in downtime. During battles, it's best to keep chat OOC and concentrated on the task at hand.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Teh, one of these days I must meet ya ingame. ^^

And, why to avoid the "tragic past" RP background:

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I like to "step into character" occasionally. But for the most part I do things like SpottyGecko mentioned. Although if Im kinda taking it easy I will walk places instead of jogging or riding my horse.

Slightly of topic, but related. One of my favorite new mods for Skyrim is a faster walking speed and slower running speed. It feels more natural. And I find myself walking the roads of Skyrim instead of running them. I dont use horses btw.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."