Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 things Zenimax MUST add to Elder Scrolls Online to be the Best MMORPG ever

2»

Comments

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    I believe every single one of OP list should be added to an update 100%.
  • ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    I believe every single one of OP list should be added to an update 100%.

I agree.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Zalmon

And popular things you love are hated by masses too i am sure. 'Hate' is a very strong word though. Neither Bieber or Kardashian physically hurt me in any way so no skin off my back. When i don't like something i just ignore it which is much sensible thing to do than join the masses in 'hate'.

WOW is a game..its only purpose is to entertain. I don't see why you have to generalise and put people down for enjoying something you don't. If you want to criticise it on some intelligent points go ahead.

I am sorry but i found your post very ironic especially when you mentioned 'young'. Because if you were trying to come across as 'mature'..well you failed then.

The meaning of the word 'hate' depends on the context you use it in.  Hate when applied to a group of people based on skin color, race, religion, etc. has a completely different connotation than when applied to a movie, a game, or an annoying & talentless actor/singer/etc.  If you were an adult, this would be obvious.

I usually ignore things that I don't like, as well.  For instance, I don't hang out on forums of games, movies, or artists that I hate (like many trolls out there) trying to convince people to think like me.  It's just not a productive use of my time since people tend to latch on to opinions emotionally.  You can't reason with emotions.  But that doesn't mean I have to keep my mouth shut when it comes to my distaste for a game.  My motives are different.  I want to get my opinion out there so that, hopefully, developers will listen and not go down the path of the WoW clone like so many failed MMOs have done in the pursuit of profits.  Nobody can out do WoW for what it does.  As far as ESO, the RvR is what truly differentiates it from WoW and the rest of the MMOs out there (and no, GW2 is a pale comparison).

You don't come across as very mature to me as well, so I guess we have something in common after all.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Satarious
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

To be the best MMORPG ever

1. They would have growing playerbase every month for at least 4 years

2. Surpass 13 million subs

3. Revolutionize the genre completely

4. Have annual expansions that are hugely successful

Chances of this happening - zero

I think you are confusing "best" with "most successful."  Even assuming that, the current most successful MMORPG ever only hits three out of the four, it was evolutionary, not revolutionary.

"Best" is personal opinion.

Most successful is "best" for majority of players - hence it is a quantifyable "best".

Justin Bieber is the most talented person in history for a lot of pre-teen girls (which has made him a wealthy brat).  Does that make it so?

Talent has nothing to do with popularity IMO, I am not sure what the appeal of Bieber is personally (I prefer metal music) but he is certainly the best in the eyes of his fans.

Now I don't know if Bieber is the top selling act for the pre-teen girls - if he is, it would make him the best again by popularity.

Again poplar best is quantifiable via sales, it had nothing to do with what an individual would label as best. 

To me, WoW is like the MMO version of Justin Bieber.  I have no earthly idea what the appeal  for the Kim Kardashians or Justin Biebers of the world is for people, but I accept it as something appealing to the young & inexperienced who have no clue what's out there.  I'm probably being a little too harsh on WoW since they do have some decent PvE.  But their PvP was always absolutely HORRIBLE to me which is why the game eventually became unplayable for me after a year or so. 

Stop Hate-in Bro!

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

And popular things you love are hated by masses too i am sure. 'Hate' is a very strong word though. Neither Bieber or Kardashian physically hurt me in any way so no skin off my back. When i don't like something i just ignore it which is much sensible thing to do than join the masses in 'hate'.

WOW is a game..its only purpose is to entertain. I don't see why you have to generalise and put people down for enjoying something you don't. If you want to criticise it on some intelligent points go ahead.

I am sorry but i found your post very ironic especially when you mentioned 'young'. Because if you were trying to come across as 'mature'..well you failed then.

The meaning of the word 'hate' depends on the context you use it in.  Hate when applied to a group of people based on skin color, race, religion, etc. has a completely different connotation than when applied to a movie, a game, or an annoying and talentless actor/singer/etc.  If you were an adult, this would be obvious.

I usually ignore thing that I don't like, as well.  For instance, I don't hang out on forums of games, movies, or artists that I hate (like many trolls out there) trying to convince people to think like me.  It's just not a productive use of my time since people tend to latch on to opinions emotionally.  You can't reason with emotions.  But that doesn't mean I have to keep my mouth shut when it comes to my distaste for a game.  My motives are different.  I want to get my opinion out there so that, hopefully, developers will listen and not go down the path of the WoW clone like so many failed MMOs have done in the pursuit of profits.  Nobody can out do WoW for what it does.  As far as ESO, the RvR is what truly differentiates it from WoW and the rest of the MMOs out there (and no, GW2 is a pale comparison).

You don't come across as very mature to me as well, so I guess we have something in common after all.

Ofcourse i don't come across as mature to you because you didn't like what i said. So you had to throw something back at me. No problem i understand.

However, the meaning of word hate stays the same even if the context changes. And like i said earlier 'hate ' is a very strong word to use in my opinion for people i have never met or had any interactions with. I just find this whole thing very silly. 

Its obvious that you don't ignore things you dislike. hence you backhanded insults and generlisation of WOW player base. If you really are that mature you wouldn't feel the need to put others down to feel good about yourself.

People get away with a lot in name of 'opinion'. 

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by jacktors

1. Darkness Falls type dungeon: Darkness Falls was a great success in DAoC.  The dungeon was intertwined with PvP and PvE.  If your faction had most of the keeps, you could enter, via a portal in your homelands.  But, if you lose that access, and are in Darkness Falls, you better be prepared for battle. Because the new winning faction now has control, and the first thing they will do is try to clear the place out of all enemies.  As far as ESO is concerned, the dungeon would sit within Cyrodiil, and there would be an entrance portal in each PvE zone. If you control Cyrodiil, your portal opens. 100% yes to this. I loved Darkness Falls.

2. Hidden caves, underwater caverns, out of the way secret areas:  Guild Wars 2 got this right.  As an explorer type gamer, I had a blast finding every little hidden nook, cave, secret area that GW2  had provided for their game. It added so much more the the game, not only offering challenging jumping puzzles,  it gave you a sense of accomplishment upon finishing each jumping puzzle and getting not only a nice, big treasure chest at the end, but an achievement. Meh. I hate underwater content. If they add it, okay for those who like it. If not, I won't think twice about it.

3. Housing :  Please, for the love of GOD, do not give us that instanced room that all the new MMORPG game developers are trying to pass off as housing. It is lazy and boring.  Yet again, DAoC got this one right too. Yes, the housing area was instanced. But once you entered the housing area, you had a neighborhood of homes, where you could move in next to your friends and guildmates.  The homes were able to be customized and furnished. You could even hang the heads of the major bosses you killed upon your walls. Talk about immersive.   On top of that, you had the choice of purchasing a vendor outside of your home, where you could sell your goods. It was a great way to kill two birds with one stone. You had a housing area and an auction house in one area.  Another meh. If they never add housing, I won't mind. However, should they have a mind to, I agree with you. That is the right way to go about it.

4. More Lootable items:   One of the main complaints I have seen from the true Elder Scrolls fans in the forums, is the lack of lootable items.  As I play the game, I run across books, weapons, armor, food, etc... But only some of that is lootable. That was a big mistake.  In my opinion, either make it all lootable, or get rid of the non lootable items. I do not mean being able to pick up every book on a bookshelf. I am talking about having the same system as we saw in Skyrim.  Little things like this can truly turn off a true fan of a game. It may sound petty, but those who play Elder Scrolls games for the true RPG immersion factor, are being short changed.  Also, add some lootables in the caves and dungeons. Add some treasure chests too.  A dungeon/cave is supposed to have hidden troves of loot. The ones in ESO are very bland. Personally, I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of lootable items but, more couldn't hurt.

5.  Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood:   I know that Zenimax said that these guilds will be added to the game, but this is a must. These guilds were the most popular ones in skyrim. Plus, they are such a huge part of the lore of this game. Going back to the Elder Scrolls fans,  it would have been smarter for Zenimax to have added this content to the game before going live.  Those that say ESO lacks the true lore and gameplay of Elder Scrolls games, could have been swayed with more of it added to the game from the start. I'm not sure you'll see these in the first big update, that seems to be focused on their new Adventure Zone, Craglorn. Then they have the PS4/Xbox One launch in June. However, I'd be surprised if we don't see at least one of those guilds make their appearance by Labor Day. But who knows? Maybe they'll have one, or both ready before the Console Launch in June.

In my opinion, if Zenimax adds this content to Elder Scrolls Online, I believe that this game will be the best MMORPG on the market, if not, ever. By taking great content from other games, and implementing it into ESO, it is a recipe for success.  Today's gamers demand a lot of content in an MMORPG, especially one with a monthly subscription. End game dungeons and raids get old fast. So does questing, once you have been there and done that on other alts. So, it is the game developers job to have many different types of content to keep us entertained past  level cap.  

Just my 2cp on your post Jacktors.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Great list, agree wholeheartedly with it. I would add the following:

6. A Justice system! Stealing, pickpocketing, jailing, bounties- all that good stuff.

7. A dueling arena. Must have to prevent people from getting sick of Cyrodiiil PvP!

8. More minigames / random events in general. Right now, dark anchors & fissures were the few random events I came across.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Number 4 they are doing.  More and more items will be lootable.  It used to be nothing but crates, barrels, etc.  Then they added food.  Soon you'll see weapons and armor.

Number 5 is my personal favorite.  Although I play on going tank,  I wouldn't be surprised if they add thieves guild and and dark brotherhood and pickpocketing  in one devilish thievorific patch :D

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Number 4 they are doing.  More and more items will be lootable.  It used to be nothing but crates, barrels, etc.  Then they added food.  Soon you'll see weapons and armor.

Number 5 is my personal favorite.  Although I play on going tank,  I wouldn't be surprised if they add thieves guild and and dark brotherhood and pickpocketing  in one devilish thievorific patch :D

Thieves guild and dark brotherhood are supposed to added sometime after launch.  Now 2020 is in that timeframe but something tells me it'll be before then.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

And who says a game can't best and successful at same time?

It is anyways a cool thing to hate anything that is successful. that is why being 'best' gets very subjective because hipsters hate everything that is mainstream and popular.

There is no such thing as a "mainstream" MMO, just like there aren't mainstream Renaissance Faires or mainstream Civil War reenactments.  As for "popularity," I don't think any rational person argues that the mere fact of being popular indicates the presence of quality.  Which isn't to say that being popular guarantees that something isn't quality, just to point out that there is no necessary connection between popularity and quality.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by azzamasin

My list would look like this:

1. Faster Paced Combat or Removal of Reticule and stick to Tab Targetting if your going to keep combat so painfully slow.
    2. Housing
    3. Darkness Falls
    4. Multi-Group Raid progression
    5. Dynamic and more intuitive loot.

This ^^

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

Scantily clad, child-like female characters with ears on top of their heads like cats and tails, and big oversized eyes... oh, wait a minute.  We're not talking about an Asian FTP game?

Nevermind then.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

Scantily clad, child-like female characters with ears on top of their heads like cats and tails, and big oversized eyes... oh, wait a minute.  We're not talking about an Asian FTP game?

Nevermind then.

oddly enough you'd have to add more details to narrow it down to exactly which asian f2p game your describing image

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Agree OP..

When it comes to housing however I don't want an actual house...  I'd love an underground cave with a secret/hidden entrance.

Somewhere I can craft and display some cool stuff I've got.  A nice moon pool to have a bath in and a fire to do some cooking.

Bit of storage included and I'm fucking golden !!

That reminds me..  Must change my sig lol

Any decent sig generators around??

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

Nevermind then.

Thought you were on about Wildstar lol

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

1. DF style dungeon (this is a must imo)

2. More items/ power derived from items

3. Thieves guild/ Dark Brotherhood

4. Increased combat pace/speed

5. More experience gained from simply killing monsters

Those would be my 5, so yes a lot of what I want coincides with the OP's desires.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

To be the best mmorpg ever it needs to give me a high paying job with low hours and stress, make me taller, better looking and naturally fit, make all women desire me (and men secretly too), and make me immune to any disease. And chatbubbles. 

If none of these are met, it's not good enough.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

Not asking for the world like other posters:

A RP phasing tag that works, chat bubbles, name and guild tags, character name after username when username appears in chat.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Some people ask for more experience for killing mobs.  I want just the opposite.  I want it to take forever to level.  I am so sick of seeing new mmorpg's where there are level capped people in 1 to 2 days.  I completely blame that on the game devs. If people are level capping within a week, your developers have done something wrong.  Going from level 1 to level 50 should be a journey, just like in Skyrim.  And it certainly shouldn't be rushed.  Nor, should the game designers push you there.