Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Wardrobe System. This changes everything!

nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-wardrobe-system/

I've never bothered crafting a legendary since it was character-bound. Now, with the wardrobe system, the skin can be shared account-wide.

With the wardrobe system in place, ANet has strengthened and clarified their manifesto on horizontal progression. Folks will collect all the skins that are available in-game and available during Living Story events.

Also, the dyes are now account-bound.

So happy. (Dang it. Now I have to come back again and grind for a legendary, which would be more rewarding now).

Comments

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    The title of this thread made me think of the Mio commercials.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

This honestly creates a lot more incentive pursue any and every skin the game introduces.  As it stands now, I still have things like my fused gauntlet ticket from over one year ago still sitting in my bank because I was always afraid I'd regret giving the skin to a particular character as soon as I did.  It's silly, but that's the way psychology goes.  

I might actually be interested in going after a legendary now.  I usually only go after 1 or 2 living story skins each patch, but now I suddenly wish I had gone after many more, since they'd all be permanently available to all of my characters.  I know I'll be more motivated to try for more of them in all future updates.  Heck, I've barely ever touched WvW, and I'm suddenly considering getting into it pretty seriously in the upcoming months because of the new Mistforged weapon skins that are rewarded by redeeming the new WvW tournament points.  

Bottom line is this definitely creates more drive, something this game desperately needed.  

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Awesome changes.

Still a bit interested to see how one will be able to acquire the transmutation charges and the unidentified dyes.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Homitu

I might actually be interested in going after a legendary now.  I usually only go after 1 or 2 living story skins each patch, but now I suddenly wish I had gone after many more, since they'd all be permanently available to all of my characters.

I'm kicking myself for that very same reason.  :(

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Awesome changes.

Still a bit interested to see how one will be able to acquire the transmutation charges and the unidentified dyes.

As for the Unidentified dyes, I'm assuming they'll be acquired the way they currently are via drops, laurel purchases, crafted via cooking. 

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Awesome changes.

As for the Unidentified dyes, I'm assuming they'll be acquired the way they currently are via drops, laurel purchases, crafted via cooking. 

Dyes won't drop anymore so only last 3 methods

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm in an odd position.  Looking at my posts you know I love this game and play it almost every day. The changes , however, good for some mean nothing for me really. I dont really care either way.  I'll continue playing and if you like the changes good for you!
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by An4thor
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Awesome changes.

Dyes won't drop anymore so only last 3 methods

I just read that too. Full quote for those interested:

With dyes becoming account unlocks, the demand for dye will decrease and unidentified dyes will no longer drop as loot but will still be available from the Mystic Forge and select in-game rewards.

Both specific colors of dye and unidentified dyes will still be tradable and available on the Trading Post, and hue-specific dyes can still be crafted. The process for identifying unidentified dyes will remain the same.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I just hope you can still get 10 unidentified dyes for 5 laurels or whatever number of dyes for laurels.

I've just acquired a bunch anyway to have a nice color pallet.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I'm in an odd position.  Looking at my posts you know I love this game and play it almost every day. The changes , however, good for some mean nothing for me really. I dont really care either way.  I'll continue playing and if you like the changes good for you!

I'm right there with you. While these news don't affect me negatively in any way, I just don't really care about any of this. There's more to come though, maybe we'll get something nice too .

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I like these change a lot. The prices of dyes seem to have shot up considerably when this news got out though. Then again, now I don't need to chose which toon will unlock what colors and I can just send my spare abyss and celestial dyes to my second account and unlock those there. All good stuff this, and it was initially promised that dyes would be account-wide unlocks.

Better late than never to make good on that promise.

imageimage
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    LOTRO system makes gw2 system look pretty sub par, longway to go as yet.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Transmutation charges are still the weak point in the system.

You make me like charity

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Transmutation is probably one of the biggest single income sources for ANet. They would be crazy to turn transmutation completely free for the players. Even in the new format, they will surely lose some income from that source, although now even sPvP players will need to spend charges to change armor skins (AFAIK).

My guess is ANet hopes to regain this loss of income from more Gemstore skins sold, as many players have held off the purchases because they've been single use only.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I also wonder how they'll implement those transmutation charges. Right now, the transmutation system is one of the biggest annoyances in the game, because it's one promise they broke completely. Transmutation was supposed to be easy and accessible, but now it's pricey and only accessible via the gem store. It's like the Black Lion keys. Remember how they dropped a lot during betas and were silently nearly removed from the loot tables post-release? Yeah, that was embarrassing.
  • An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    I also wonder how they'll implement those transmutation charges. Right now, the transmutation system is one of the biggest annoyances in the game, because it's one promise they broke completely. Transmutation was supposed to be easy and accessible, but now it's pricey and only accessible via the gem store. It's like the Black Lion keys. Remember how they dropped a lot during betas and were silently nearly removed from the loot tables post-release? Yeah, that was embarrassing.

You can farm bl keys 1x15m with the human personal story. Not very bad if you are into the crap that these boxes drop :p

And transmutation is fine in the shop, i mean it's a commodity not necessity. If they keep items to tweek the look in the cash shop i'm complitely fine with it.

It's only an annoyance if you want to change your looks all the time. Other than that, its so cheap you can easily buy the needed crystals with gold to gem exchange (if you're too cheap to buy gems for real money, that is).

But I'm sure you have great ideas what they should offer in the gem store if transmutation should be free?

I'm not ANet's monetization manager. Inventing ways for GW2 to make money isn't my job.

Not that there's anything wrong with the current system itself or the wardrobe. What I was annoyed by was the shady way ANet handled it. Instead of telling the players max-level transmutation is done almost entirely through the gem store and BLKs are extremely rare outside of the shop, they repeatedly assured us both can be easily gotten in-game. That's why now I fully expect them to screw the players over in one way or another with the wardrobe, which is very far from the confidence in their integrity I once had.

I'm not ANet's monetization manager. Inventing ways for GW2 to make money isn't my job.

Not that there's anything wrong with the current system itself or the wardrobe. What I was annoyed by was the shady way ANet handled it. Instead of telling the players max-level transmutation is done almost entirely through the gem store and BLKs are extremely rare outside of the shop, they repeatedly assured us both can be easily gotten in-game. That's why now I fully expect them to screw the players over in one way or another with the wardrobe, which is very far from the confidence in their integrity I once had.

I must have missed any assurances that BLKs and transmutation crystals (crystals, not stones) could be easily gotten in-game. Which is weird because you say they repeatedly told so. Can you find me one of these assurances?

But in a sense they are easily gotten in-game, by trading gold to gems. I know this is not what you meant, though.

Nah, they were on beta forums and I think they can't be found anywhere anymore. The entire tans stone / BLK system got a major overhaul pre-release that was pretty annoying back then, especially because the issues are connected. After all, the stones drop from BL chests quite often. This update is a good reminder of that annoyance, I suppose.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    LOTRO system makes gw2 system look pretty sub par, longway to go as yet.

I love Lotro, but I have to disagree.

This system translated to Lotro, is like having an infinite number of wardrobe slots, and having every clothing/weapon skin you've ever bound to your character available at any time.  Not only that, but any dye you've ever picked up is available for any piece of armor/clothing you choose at any time.

In Lotro, you're limited to the number of wardrobe slots you have for skins you can pick from.  And each item has to have been dyed with the dye you want in order to be used with that color.  It could be argued that that is superior from the standpoint of being a Scholar who sells their dyes...

...and you could argue that Lotro has many, many, MANY more costume pieces, which it does(it's a much older game)...

...but in simply comparing the two wardrobe systems, the GW2 system gives you FAR more freedom.  Though until GW2 implements multiple outfit slots, Lotro will definitely have the advantage, there.

This system should look familiar to anyone that plays DCU.  The "bind=keep skin forever" system is definitely a lift from there.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I have no interest in fashion.  I guess that explains why I had no interest in playing Barbie fashion show with my sister.  Just not something that I spend any time on in a game.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by goboygo
    I have no interest in fashion.  I guess that explains why I had no interest in playing Barbie fashion show with my sister.  Just not something that I spend any time on in a game.

lol.  I don't see it as being about "fashion" though, I see it as another reason ANet is one of the fairest companies around and deserves success, because what it's about to me is access.  If you buy a B2P game, you shouldn't be so limited as to have to spend ridiculous amounts of time and money (in game or real) just to be told you could overwrite that work if you weren't careful.  The whole thing says good things for the future of the game, not just dress-up.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

i guess you'll be happier with the news about Legendaries AND Ascended gear will be account-bound. Legendaries have stat-changing feature that you wont get from a weapon if you just transmute it with the new system.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/account-bound-wxp-legendaries-and-ascended-gear/

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Great feature, collections in SWTOR wardrobe in GW2, i just dont see why these things arent in games from the start (even if they were requested from the start)