Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 things Zenimax MUST add to Elder Scrolls Online to be the Best MMORPG ever

jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

1. Darkness Falls type dungeon: Darkness Falls was a great success in DAoC.  The dungeon was intertwined with PvP and PvE.  If your faction had most of the keeps, you could enter, via a portal in your homelands.  But, if you lose that access, and are in Darkness Falls, you better be prepared for battle. Because the new winning faction now has control, and the first thing they will do is try to clear the place out of all enemies.  As far as ESO is concerned, the dungeon would sit within Cyrodiil, and there would be an entrance portal in each PvE zone. If you control Cyrodiil, your portal opens. 

2. Hidden caves, underwater caverns, out of the way secret areas:  Guild Wars 2 got this right.  As an explorer type gamer, I had a blast finding every little hidden nook, cave, secret area that GW2  had provided for their game. It added so much more the the game, not only offering challenging jumping puzzles,  it gave you a sense of accomplishment upon finishing each jumping puzzle and getting not only a nice, big treasure chest at the end, but an achievement. 

3. Housing :  Please, for the love of GOD, do not give us that instanced room that all the new MMORPG game developers are trying to pass off as housing. It is lazy and boring.  Yet again, DAoC got this one right too. Yes, the housing area was instanced. But once you entered the housing area, you had a neighborhood of homes, where you could move in next to your friends and guildmates.  The homes were able to be customized and furnished. You could even hang the heads of the major bosses you killed upon your walls. Talk about immersive.   On top of that, you had the choice of purchasing a vendor outside of your home, where you could sell your goods. It was a great way to kill two birds with one stone. You had a housing area and an auction house in one area.  

4. More Lootable items:   One of the main complaints I have seen from the true Elder Scrolls fans in the forums, is the lack of lootable items.  As I play the game, I run across books, weapons, armor, food, etc... But only some of that is lootable. That was a big mistake.  In my opinion, either make it all lootable, or get rid of the non lootable items. I do not mean being able to pick up every book on a bookshelf. I am talking about having the same system as we saw in Skyrim.  Little things like this can truly turn off a true fan of a game. It may sound petty, but those who play Elder Scrolls games for the true RPG immersion factor, are being short changed.  Also, add some lootables in the caves and dungeons. Add some treasure chests too.  A dungeon/cave is supposed to have hidden troves of loot. The ones in ESO are very bland. 

5.  Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood:   I know that Zenimax said that these guilds will be added to the game, but this is a must. These guilds were the most popular ones in skyrim. Plus, they are such a huge part of the lore of this game. Going back to the Elder Scrolls fans,  it would have been smarter for Zenimax to have added this content to the game before going live.  Those that say ESO lacks the true lore and gameplay of Elder Scrolls games, could have been swayed with more of it added to the game from the start. 

In my opinion, if Zenimax adds this content to Elder Scrolls Online, I believe that this game will be the best MMORPG on the market, if not, ever. By taking great content from other games, and implementing it into ESO, it is a recipe for success.  Today's gamers demand a lot of content in an MMORPG, especially one with a monthly subscription. End game dungeons and raids get old fast. So does questing, once you have been there and done that on other alts. So, it is the game developers job to have many different types of content to keep us entertained past  level cap.  

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

My list would look like this:

1. Faster Paced Combat or Removal of Reticule and stick to Tab Targetting if your going to keep combat so painfully slow.
    2. Housing
    3. Darkness Falls
    4. Multi-Group Raid progression
    5. Dynamic and more intuitive loot.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I agree and would add to that: More dynamic pve style content on the pvp map; more quests, mobs, etc.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Needs a lot more then that, IMO. Starting with combat.
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

I'll agree with 1 and 2.

For me personally player housing is a waste of developers time and energy.

[mod edit]

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OP

1) i never played Daoc so idk whats DF.

2) Hidden caverns and out of the way stuff could be found in Skyrim while exploring so i definitelly hope they add that to ESO in the future.

3) The same way housing was done in SKyrim could be effectively done in ESO, or at least with some similarities. Again, I hope ZoS adds a Hearthfire-like update in the future.

4) Definitelly need more lootable stuff. Specially things you find out in the wild and in towns just lying around.

5) This will be added indeed.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I agree with the armor/weapon system.  It is a bit bleh.  But something like that can be implemented into a game like this. I have hope.  As far as combat, I really do not have much of an issue with it.  It is certainly a bit clunky. I feel like my avatar is not as flexible and smooth as other mmorpgs.  I like how WOW combat felt when I played it.  The animations were much better, but the graphics were very cartoony.  I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I am not familiar with computer graphics. 

Originally posted by Soki123
    Needs a lot more then that, IMO. Starting with combat.

i liked the combat a lot but if they update it and remove the targeting in favor of a free form combat mechanic that would make it the best combat out there in mmos (IMO). With the current targeting system its just far from perfect.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Oh, wow.  You don't know what you're missing!  DF was some great fun back in the day.  It essentially turned the conventions of PvE and PvP on its head.  No other MMO has captured that lightning in a bottle to date.

Originally posted by Satarious

Oh, wow.  You don't know what you're missing!  DF was some great fun back in the day.  It essentially turned the conventions of PvE and PvP on its head.

Back in the day (early 2000s) i was solely a console gamer D: but a few years ago i tried the free trial of Daoc and found it too old and unpolished to actually buy it. Sure it was great in its time, but the age and lack of polish is very noticeable today.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Oh, wow.  You don't know what you're missing!  DF was some great fun back in the day.  It essentially turned the conventions of PvE and PvP on its head.

Back in the day (early 2000s) i was solely a console gamer D: but a few years ago i tried the free trial of Daoc and found it too old and unpolished to actually buy it. Sure it was great in its time, but the age and lack of polish is very noticeable today.

I personally prefer it to TESO to this day. I re subbed it after the TESO beta, and hated it, but made me think of RvR. It destroys TESOs RvR, IMO.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to get into it these days with all the advancements in graphics, etc.  It's like an old book.  Sure, the cover may look dusty and ugly, but it's a damn good read if you give it a chance.

• creamylordcreamylord Member Posts: 6
    Darkness Falls was probably the best thing that was ever put into an MMO, I would love it if there was something like this in ESO, even if it was a carbon copy.
  • Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

Instanced housing is nothing new.  It's been around for at least as long as EQ2 has been and it was customizable from the beginning.  I knew people that would spend hours decorating especially after a new expansion would come out and offer all new styles for furniture and such.  Other than being instanced, it is my favorite housing of any game I've played so far.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I tried to go back to DAoC a month ago. They offered a 7 day trial for past subscribers. I didn't even make it past 5 days,sadly.  As a lot of you said, at the time, the game was great, but as we are now spoiled with current graphics engines, the game was way too old and laggy.  Plus, the quests were boring.  

Even though the game has passed its time for many of us, the unique content should not be forgotten.  I am happy that Zenimax has seen this vision and added some of the great content to ESO. I truly hope that they keep that trend going.  It seems like they listen to their fans (sometimes a little too much).  

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Darkness Falls with their great engine, would be awesome.  I really really hope they do it.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by DMKano

To be the best MMORPG ever

1. They would have growing playerbase every month for at least 4 years

2. Surpass 13 million subs

3. Revolutionize the genre completely

4. Have annual expansions that are hugely successful

Chances of this happening - zero

I think you are confusing "best" with "most successful."  Even assuming that, the current most successful MMORPG ever only hits three out of the four, it was evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

They need raiding and more procedural content - to be the best ever judging from the beta. I don't care though I am getting it anyway to play till Wildstar goes live.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Best is personal opinion.

Most successful is best for majority of players - hence it is a quantifyable "best". 

I'm not sure we can even say that much.  Just because people are playing a particular MMO, that doesn't mean they think it's the best.  In many cases it just means they care more about playing with their long-time guild than about playing the "best" game, and so go wherever the guild goes.  In other cases it can be a matter of players who think games start at endgame, and they want to just stick with the game where they are already there, rather than leveling through other games they might actually think are better.  For many others, the game they thought was "best" got shut down at some point, so the one they are actually playing is their second or third choice.  (Or possibly even lower.)

When you bring the social, time investment, and shut down game issues into the equation, there are many reasons to play a particular game other than thinking it is objectively the best option.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

I think you are confusing "best" with "most successful."  Even assuming that, the current most successful MMORPG ever only hits three out of the four, it was evolutionary, not revolutionary.

"Best" is personal opinion.

Most successful is "best" for majority of players - hence it is a quantifyable "best".

Justin Bieber is the most talented person in history for a lot of pre-teen girls (which has made him a wealthy brat).  Does that make it so?

Most successful is "best" for majority of players - hence it is a quantifyable "best".

Justin Bieber is the most talented person in history for a lot of pre-teen girls (which has made him a wealthy brat).  Does that make it so?

Talent has nothing to do with popularity IMO, I am not sure what the appeal of Bieber is personally (I prefer metal music) but he is certainly the best in the eyes of his fans.

Now I don't know if Bieber is the top selling act for the pre-teen girls - if he is, it would make him the best again by popularity.

Again poplar best is quantifiable via sales, it had nothing to do with what an individual would label as best. 

To me, WoW is like the MMO version of Justin Bieber.  I have no earthly idea what the appeal  for the Kim Kardashians or Justin Biebers of the world is for people, but I accept it as something appealing to the young & inexperienced who have no clue what's out there.  I'm probably being a little too harsh on WoW since they do have some decent PvE.  But their PvP was always absolutely HORRIBLE to me which is why the game eventually became unplayable for me after a year or so. 

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

And who says a game can't best and successful at same time?

It is anyways a cool thing to hate anything that is successful. that is why being 'best' gets very subjective because hipsters hate everything that is mainstream and popular.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by jacktors

1. Darkness Falls type dungeon: Darkness Falls was a great success in DAoC.  The dungeon was intertwined with PvP and PvE.  If your faction had most of the keeps, you could enter, via a portal in your homelands.  But, if you lose that access, and are in Darkness Falls, you better be prepared for battle. Because the new winning faction now has control, and the first thing they will do is try to clear the place out of all enemies.  As far as ESO is concerned, the dungeon would sit within Cyrodiil, and there would be an entrance portal in each PvE zone. If you control Cyrodiil, your portal opens. 

2. Hidden caves, underwater caverns, out of the way secret areas:  Guild Wars 2 got this right.  As an explorer type gamer, I had a blast finding every little hidden nook, cave, secret area that GW2  had provided for their game. It added so much more the the game, not only offering challenging jumping puzzles,  it gave you a sense of accomplishment upon finishing each jumping puzzle and getting not only a nice, big treasure chest at the end, but an achievement. 

3. Housing :  Please, for the love of GOD, do not give us that instanced room that all the new MMORPG game developers are trying to pass off as housing. It is lazy and boring.  Yet again, DAoC got this one right too. Yes, the housing area was instanced. But once you entered the housing area, you had a neighborhood of homes, where you could move in next to your friends and guildmates.  The homes were able to be customized and furnished. You could even hang the heads of the major bosses you killed upon your walls. Talk about immersive.   On top of that, you had the choice of purchasing a vendor outside of your home, where you could sell your goods. It was a great way to kill two birds with one stone. You had a housing area and an auction house in one area.  

4. More Lootable items:   One of the main complaints I have seen from the true Elder Scrolls fans in the forums, is the lack of lootable items.  As I play the game, I run across books, weapons, armor, food, etc... But only some of that is lootable. That was a big mistake.  In my opinion, either make it all lootable, or get rid of the non lootable items. I do not mean being able to pick up every book on a bookshelf. I am talking about having the same system as we saw in Skyrim.  Little things like this can truly turn off a true fan of a game. It may sound petty, but those who play Elder Scrolls games for the true RPG immersion factor, are being short changed.  Also, add some lootables in the caves and dungeons. Add some treasure chests too.  A dungeon/cave is supposed to have hidden troves of loot. The ones in ESO are very bland. 

5.  Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood:   I know that Zenimax said that these guilds will be added to the game, but this is a must. These guilds were the most popular ones in skyrim. Plus, they are such a huge part of the lore of this game. Going back to the Elder Scrolls fans,  it would have been smarter for Zenimax to have added this content to the game before going live.  Those that say ESO lacks the true lore and gameplay of Elder Scrolls games, could have been swayed with more of it added to the game from the start. 

In my opinion, if Zenimax adds this content to Elder Scrolls Online, I believe that this game will be the best MMORPG on the market, if not, ever. By taking great content from other games, and implementing it into ESO, it is a recipe for success.  Today's gamers demand a lot of content in an MMORPG, especially one with a monthly subscription. End game dungeons and raids get old fast. So does questing, once you have been there and done that on other alts. So, it is the game developers job to have many different types of content to keep us entertained past  level cap.  

/signed.

Don't forget that the houses have to double as player shops!!!

Talent has nothing to do with popularity IMO, I am not sure what the appeal of Bieber is personally (I prefer metal music) but he is certainly the best in the eyes of his fans.

Now I don't know if Bieber is the top selling act for the pre-teen girls - if he is, it would make him the best again by popularity.

Again poplar best is quantifiable via sales, it had nothing to do with what an individual would label as best. 

To me, WoW is like the MMO version of Justin Bieber.  I have no earthly idea what the appeal  for the Kim Kardashians or Justin Biebers of the world is for people, but I accept it as something appealing to the young & inexperienced who have no clue what's out there.  I'm probably being a little too harsh on WoW since they do have some decent PvE.  But their PvP was always absolutely HORRIBLE to me which is why the game eventually became unplayable for me after a year or so. 

Its just too cool to hate WOW even if you can not come up with some intelligent reason for hate.

If ESO gets as big as WOW it will also get the same amount of hate because hipster love to hate popular things.

Originally posted by Zalmon

Its just too cool to hate WOW even if you can not come up with some intelligent reason for hate.

If ESO gets as big as WOW it will also get the same amount of hate because hipster love to hate popular things.

There are plenty of popular things that I love.  Overly instanced MMOs with lackluster PvP is not one of them, however.   

If hating on Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian is considered "hipster", what has society come to?  Lol!

Originally posted by Zalmon

There are plenty of popular things that I love.  Overly instanced MMOs with lackluster PvP is not one of them, however.   

If hating on Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashian is considered "hipster", what has society come to?  Lol!

And popular things you love are hated by masses too i am sure. 'Hate' is a very strong word though. Neither Bieber or Kardashian physically hurt me in any way so no skin off my back. When i don't like something i just ignore it which is much sensible thing to do than join the masses in 'hate'.

WOW is a game..its only purpose is to entertain. I don't see why you have to generalise and put people down for enjoying something you don't. If you want to criticise it on some intelligent points go ahead.

I am sorry but i found your post very ironic especially when you mentioned 'young'. Because if you were trying to come across as 'mature'..well you failed then.