Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] SMITE: Quick & Flashy with Great Combat

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The success of games like League of Legends, DotA 2, and now SMITE is something all gamers should take notice of. SMITE is the newest prodigal child from HiRez Studios and the upcoming launch and current state of SMITE is nothing short of enjoyable. Featuring a wide selection of aesthetically and mechanically different characters, an easy-to-learn style of gameplay, and a growing population of players and competition; SMITE is well on its way to becoming a major player in the MOBA space.

Read more of Tyler Rowe's SMITE: Quick & Flashy with Great Combat.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I disagree strongly with your cons.

I've not had anyone 'leave' since I hit level 10, which is very much like League where most people don't take the game seriously until about level 10.

The community might be a mixed bag, but it's WAAAAAAY better than leagues, everyone on league is a troll. Everyone.

I'm not sure who the hardcore fans you speak on are not going to be 'enticed' by this, perhaps hard core League players?  If so it's because they prefer what they know and are unwilling to try new things, I've had many many friends who play league try this game reluctantly only to become more addicted to it than League.

So respectfully Author, I disagree with your Cons.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Once you hit past level 25+ Leavers become less and less even in normal matches, I agree that the punishment system needs to offer something a little more harsh for those who abandon everyone on the team, and do not return throughout the entire game. Right now when someone leaves the other (4) still on get DMG increases and such to balance the game out.

• kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

What community of ANYTHING not just games isnt a mixed bag? How is this a con?  

Leavers are always a possiblity ? Ok well ANYTHING is possible? How is this a con once again? 

Not enticing to hardcore fans? Ummm...Digitnas, Team Solo Mid, Cloud 9 etc think differently.

This con list is just ...just...wow.  Very poor job

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Well in my experience I have seen plenty of players pick apart other players verbally over their builds.  I can understand the occasional "constructive criticism" but some people will go out and blame the whole match on one person and constantly berate them. Not only is that distracting for others on the team, but also that means the person doing the berating is also not doing their part because they are spending so much time typing out insults in chat.  Yes, this happened to me a few occasions when I was first learning the game.  Now that I'm decent at the game I don't get that treatment but my "ignore" list is pretty long and I still report anyone that abuses other players.  So I agree with the statement of the community being a mixed bag.

I still love the game though.  Probably the best action (non-fps) PVP game on the market.  Nothing I have seen in other games yet comes even close to the skill level needed to be good at Smite.  Keep in mind I'm referring to Arena and Assault mode.  Learning how to push lanes properly in Conquest mode is another beast entirely which I avoid at all costs.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Wow this is a really substandard review. You can't judge a game based on its community and smite is easily in the top 3 of this genre (Dota lol smite). This game is one of the best games out there and runs flawlessly on launch day but gets the same score as some generic f2p games do. My use of this site has dwindled over time and every time i pop back in I'm only further disappointed. Next thing they'll give infinite crisis a 10.

Steam: Neph

Btw it's very enticing to Hardcore fans of the genre because every skill and basic attack is a skill shot.I've never been so irritated by a review

Can't edit or I'd consolidate. .... No social tools? There's guilds in game you don't even mention. You give the game a 7 on polish? Because you don't understand good will. .... wtf

• monmakermonmaker Member Posts: 1

kinda meh with your cons...

Also, Hey Nephaerius! I remember you from the SMNC forums!

• JeandeautJeandeaut Member Posts: 1

@Nephaerius Man just leave it, the author is only level 10. He cannot have a clue about conquest strats, metagame, or anything more in depth than his first approach with the game (i.e feeding and gettting yelled at) so the rating can't go higher.

The thing is that SMITE is a fantastic game, although it takes time to master it and even then, mistakes can happen. I genuinely believe it's the best multiplayer game out there (I come from Starcraft) and the skill curve is incredibly high with certain gods. Think of it as WoW's BC pvp, with way more depth, less obnoxious cc present everywhere, with much more visibility, better graphics, more action and the best part : skillshots.

As for the community, it's a MOBA community, but the difficulty of the game prevents its community from becoming as toxic as LoL, CoD. Think of Starcraft for the community (with less fariplay though :) )

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    We want a real review not a preview.

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I've not had anyone 'leave' since I hit level 10, which is very much like League where most people don't take the game seriously until about level 10.

The community might be a mixed bag, but it's WAAAAAAY better than leagues, everyone on league is a troll. Everyone.

I'm not sure who the hardcore fans you speak on are not going to be 'enticed' by this, perhaps hard core League players?  If so it's because they prefer what they know and are unwilling to try new things, I've had many many friends who play league try this game reluctantly only to become more addicted to it than League.

Im with you mostly but i must clarify, i love league of legends and NOT all of us are trolls im surely not, not bad attitude, i never leave matches etc, but i agree community in MOBAS in general is really disgusting, on the other side i felt in love with SMITE since beta i bought gods pack and i love it i think its gameplay is far superior to any moba, now if only they fix those random crashes many players including me have and asure us they will not abandon the game like they did to triblas and global agenda, then this will be the best moba indeed

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I agree with others that the CON list is not accurate nor do I feel that they catch what the author wrote. I get the feeling that they were CONS put simply because CONS were needed. 

• ChristianaChristiana Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I don't think u play solo a lot. When I play solo conquest, I got a lot leaver, feeder and some people attitudes also very bad. I kinda agree his cons. I am lvl 30.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I completely disagree with the social score.

Social score should not mean how the community is. Developers cannot control their communities, they get what they get. Social score should be referring to the tools created by the developers for the community to use such as guilds and things like that.

For a MOBA this game imo has quite a few social tools (More than LoL, not sure about Dota 2). I have never been so annoyed with a review. Leavers happen, rage happens, in literally everything. Sorry if you had a couple of bad matches, but there is no reason to effect its score with this.

As for the community itself, I really haven't had any issues. (Lvl 30)

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    "The community at large is fairly nice. However, there are always bad apples in games like these"
    "Community is a mixed bag of attitudes"
    at large is fairly nice != mixed bag. sorta big difference when used as factors for scoring.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    What a joke review. 
  • jw2252jw2252 Member Posts: 34
    The community is exactly the same as any other MOBA.  80% people who just play and don't cause problems, 20% dumbasses who never shut up .  Actually, it's kinda like real life now that I think about it.
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by Foreverdream
    What a joke review. 

It's a little sad when MMOHuts has a superior review, which is the case for smite.

Originally posted by monmaker

kinda meh with your cons...

Also, Hey Nephaerius! I remember you from the SMNC forums!

Hey! What's up? =)  Add me on smite IGN is Neph  I'll  show you what real feeding looks like lol ;)