Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

game Daoc players have waited for,,

2»

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I tried so many times to play DAoC. Sometimes I wonder how many people didn't play it but say they did just to be part of the "crowd" that did.  

I normlly don't say anything negative about a game, especially on that games forums, so I'm somewhat safe here. IMHO that DAoCs UI and combat system were horrible. I'm not saying that to offend fans, but I just didn't like it at all. When folks come here and say it's better than what ESO currently has, I truly wonder what I was missing.

So, if you are a true fan of DAoC I applaud you, but if you are a pretender, please don't compare or leave comments.

You are correct DAOC's interface/controls were very odd, compared to everything else. Going back to it now I'm sure it would feel extremely archaic, since it was my first MMO I didn't really notice until playing others later.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by BearKnight

I tried so many times to play DAoC. Sometimes I wonder how many people didn't play it but say they did just to be part of the "crowd" that did.  

I normlly don't say anything negative about a game, especially on that games forums, so I'm somewhat safe here. IMHO that DAoCs UI and combat system were horrible. I'm not saying that to offend fans, but I just didn't like it at all. When folks come here and say it's better than what ESO currently has, I truly wonder what I was missing.

So, if you are a true fan of DAoC I applaud you, but if you are a pretender, please don't compare or leave comments.

You just didn't understand how DAOC's combat worked, and that's fine because it was pretty complex at times trying to figure out what the max dextery it took to get capped attack speed based on how much % attack speed you got from items...etc etc.

Don't even get me started on parry chance or dodge chance, /shudder.

All of that aside, DAOC's combat was considered the end-all-to-be-all combat systems because it was 100% positional based. Meaning, you did more dmg from behind your target, and every attack save for two or three out of 30 different attack typers were positional.

Then you had positional chain attacks that only could be chained and continued if you hit from that position.

Example: Axe attack that requires you to be at the "side" of your target that has two chains that cannot continue if you miss or are countered (block/parry/dodged, etc).

I could go on but you get the point.

I've tried ESO, and after playing DAOC for 8yrs straight before quitting I can say wholeheartedly that the OP is a phony and never played DAOC for more than a year at that before quitting. They're so different it's mind bogglingly hard to think how the OP is drawing this HIGHLY differential conclusion.

As per any thread that "bashes" on any new game coming out, this is all my opinion from years of experience playing DAOC and MMOs in general.

Perhaps the OP meant the PvP system more than the rest of the game. The controls are different, UI, blah, I could go on and on. I'm not sure what he was comparing the two to. No disrespect OP, you have your opinion and I commend you. But I can't see it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by BearKnight

I've tried ESO, and after playing DAOC for 8yrs straight before quitting I can say wholeheartedly that the OP is a phony and never played DAOC for more than a year at that before quitting. They're so different it's mind bogglingly hard to think how the OP is drawing this HIGHLY differential conclusion.

Recall the OP said he and his guild are leaving RIFT to play ESO, can't really take him seriously in that case.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• darkheart84darkheart84 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by DMKano

DAoC had unique classes per realm - true realm pride.

I have to agree on this very much, that's one of the things I liked about DaoC, how each realm had its unique terrain and classes. ESO really made a mess of its entire races/story for the sake of having 3 factions that players could PVP in. Almost like what RIFT did with its Conquest system, where you could care less for what side you got placed in.

It's a game with influence from DAOC, however I wouldn't go as far as call it DAOC2, there are some similarities, yet there are far more differences.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I'll be playing ESO and look forward seeing how it evolves in it's own right but I am also a Camelot Unchained backer so you can see where my preference is for mmo pvp.

Cyrodiil does a lot right with making a massive active zone as the pvp map (instead of small, instanced pvp which I have never seen as real mmo pvp) but the only real pvp is open world and a game that actually supports this and works as an mmo is a rare thing.

ESO is not the first mmo to copy the DAoC rvr but is likely the closest thing since that may have effective rvr. ZOS has also hinted heavily of a Darkness Falls style dungeon or zone associated with Cyrodiil control. Darkness Falls didn't come out until well after release for DAoC and I ponder why so many here keep talking about it as if it was an original feature upon release. Keep DF out of the discussion until we see where Cyrodiil is headed post ESO launch. DAoC was a very incomplete game when it was launched. ESO has many times the content it did at this point in time (in both AvA and PvE) but ultimately they are still very different games.

You stay sassy!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Like DAoC, huh? funny the pvp here ideas looked more the ones I saw in Gw2, well much of ideas used on gw2 is here, unlimited lvling, instaced pvp outside the pve zones, pvp gives not reason to go there unless its for fun or you want to pvp.

serious RFonline have more DAoC on it then ESO, I don't see how anyone can even think ESO can fit that game.....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Well. If it resembles dAoC, it resembles post TOA  DAOC,   PvE is a requirement to perform well in PvP...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

Like DAoC, huh? funny the pvp here ideas looked more the ones I saw in Gw2, well much of ideas used on gw2 is here, unlimited lvling, instaced pvp outside the pve zones, pvp gives not reason to go there unless its for fun or you want to pvp.

serious RFonline have more DAoC on it then ESO, I don't see how anyone can even think ESO can fit that game.....

There is more to do than PvP in Cyrodill. There are dungeons and questing. In fact, some questing from the PvE area requires you to quest in the PvP area. . Not trying to argue with you, just pointing this out. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I played Day 1 of DAOC and TESO is no where near as good a game as the Pre-ToA DAOC I played and loved.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

ESO plays like a better version of GW2 WvW than DaoC RvR.  Not slamming the OP, just my opinion.  It's easy to look at DaoC with rose colored glasses (buffbots, for example, should never happen again), but ESO doesn't quite hit the old DaoC mark.

I'm not sure why... it may be that keeps seem to trade hands way more often... or it may be that realm pride will never match DaoC (especially with pre-launch allowances for races playing any faction).

I'm still going to play ESO, so I do like the game.  It's just not the second coming of DaoC.

Originally posted by alkarionlog

What do you mean by PVP gives no reason? DAOC's PVE was set largely away from it's PVE zones as well, yet both offer PVE in their PVP zone.

None of what you said makes much sense.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

DAoC had better combat (yes my opinion) and far better RvR with Darkness Falls. Also no BS limit on 6 active skills at a time (not counting weapon swap). DAoC had unique classes per realm - true realm pride.

Battlegrounds that meant something and were immensely fun.

DAoCs PvE was weak (only talking Vanilla as I quit before the expansions ruined the game).

ESO has better graphics, better game engine, thats it, as bad as DAoCs PvE was, I think ESOs PvE is just as bad, possibly worse.

At least ESO is not as bad as WAR - that was such a turd, only game I quit before my 30 days was up.... horrible on all fronts /shudder.

All of the above is 100% my opinion, please don't take it as fact.

Signed.  I've been playing daoc since 2002...I'm still playing it (on a particular shard I won't be allowed to mention).  ESO with its any class any realm and classless hybrid system has nothing in common with the realm driven truly unique...and still unique mmorpg that has never been copied (failhammer included).

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by Talemire
    Aye, this game has a lot in common with DAoC, and it's a good thing.

Not to ES fans, it isn't.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    I played Day 1 of DAOC and TESO is no where near as good a game as the Pre-ToA DAOC I played and loved.

Well it depends on what you mean IMO. DAOC was my first MMO, so I definitely have some rose colored nostalgic glasses on in regard to it. Yet I feel due to many areas ESO is a better experience as a whole. DAOC was a great game in it's own right (as well as a big influence on many current MMO's). However I had plenty of time for memorable experiences there. ESo on the other hand I have many yet to create. That's where the true test stands IMO.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

dunno , i played doac from literally day one through toa, and i think teso is great,

one thing for certain, the game is going to be fun, and id wager most of the haters will be playing teso too, lol

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Pyuk

but it will to elder scroll fans who also love daoc.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Originally posted by Pyuk

Says who? ES fans can't like something different? I'm not sure how people come to such conclusions. Simply because some people claiming to be ES fans made some noise.. Do you realize how many Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind fans there are out there, spread across both consoles and PC? DO you doubt that some of us who like this game are in fact ES fans?

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Man_of_Leisure

DAoC had better combat (yes my opinion) and far better RvR with Darkness Falls. Also no BS limit on 6 active skills at a time (not counting weapon swap). DAoC had unique classes per realm - true realm pride.

Battlegrounds that meant something and were immensely fun.

DAoCs PvE was weak (only talking Vanilla as I quit before the expansions ruined the game).

ESO has better graphics, better game engine, thats it, as bad as DAoCs PvE was, I think ESOs PvE is just as bad, possibly worse.

All of the above is 100% my opinion, please don't take it as fact.

I played daoc up until about a year ago. I disagree that daoc's combat system is better. I do miss the reacionary and positional combat techniques, but that game has always been a clunky nightmare. Actually the clunkiness and awkward animation of eso does remind me of daoc, although its still better.

What drives me nuts about eso is that there is so much CC, and no immunity. If you break out some of the chracter builder apps you can shove your abilities slots full of nothing but damaging stuns and knockdowns. And there does not appear to be any immunity.

It is going to be a mess at launch, but then again daoc was with out immunity too.

Agree wholeheartedly.  I've played pretty much every noteworthy pvp mmo to date and DAoC stands out in my mind as possibly the most clunky combat of them all.  The game had a lot of great ideas for its time, many of which have been reused in better ways in other games since, but the game itself was brutally primitive in many ways, most importantly the horrible horrible idea that combat should revolve around crowd control mechanics.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

DAoC pvp was the best I ever played. But I played the solo, bridge lurking spear hunter.  I left the game just when WOW took most of their subscribers. It was just bad timing. WoW was the new game, and everybody wanted to try it out, which left DAoC servers like ghost towns. By the time people started coming back, the game lost its Mojo.  

As far as the pve in DAoC, it was horrible. The quests were all fetch and kill.  To level to 50, you had to zerg through Darkness Falls with tons of other people, because the leveling was so slow and boring. 

As far as ESO, I finally played pvp on the last beta, and I must say that it reminded me of DAoC a lot.  I had a great time as a solo NB sneaky boy.  (Which, in my opinion, are extremely overpowered. I smoked every victim I faced with ease.) The only thing that confused me was all the servers in ESO pvp.  Were they all different versions of Cyrodiil?  

The pve in ESO is amazing, imo.  I love the involved quests, where npc's engage with you, follow you along some quests, and you become part of the world. It is unlike many other mmorpgs, where the npcs are glued to the floor with a question mark above their heads. Along the way, i find it a blast to explore the surrounding areas, finding more quests, raw materials, and other goodies. I look forward to finding sky shards and treasure chests.  It is a refreshing change from looking up on a website to find the exact coordinates of hidden treasures. It reminds me of the great artifact system in Rift. As an explorer type gamer, it really fits into my playstyle. 

The game is certainly not perfect. I hope that the bugs from the beta will be fixed. But I will not attack Zenimax yet. Live servers are not even up.  If you are a former Dark Age of Camelot player, I think you would like this game pvp. As far as their pve, they are two completely different games.