Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I envy those who will be born 50 years from now...

13»

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

pffft...

50 years from now we'll be playing the 23rd WoW expansion... image

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

I don't think the world will be there in 50 years.

I'm hoping that in 50 years, medical technology will be able to extend human life by at least 50 years.

ad infinitum 

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Maybe then Star Citizen will by then have all the features promised or be at about a trillion bucks !!! image

p>
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Kopogero

They won't have to wait a decade for one great online character progression game in a persistant world....And ....

50 years from now probably nobody will be alive on Earth, so i guess there is nothing to envy. :-)) Not even bacteria will be happy with nuklear winter or alike. To me it is impossible that mankind would not succeed to destroy all.

Lol,remind me never to  take you to a party I feel a bit depressed now. image

p>
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

I don't think the world will be there in 50 years.

I'm hoping that in 50 years, medical technology will be able to extend human life by at least 50 years.

ad infinitum 

In 50 years, medical technology will indeed be able to extend human life by at least 50 years. Ad infinitum...

But only for the super-rich... image

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

People born 50 years from now might have to deal with World War 3 or 4, pollution, and famines....but my God their videogames will be epic. 

My grandma is 91, i've been watching her waste away in a nursing home for the last few months. And while its sad it makes you think she was born in 1923....wow thats such a long time ago. Imagine what someone born in 1923 has seen all this time. She saw The Depression, WW2, Vietnam War, the computer invented, internet invented, and cell phones becoming small computers themselves. Truely amazing stuff. Imagine what we're going to see with how fast technology moves forward every year now. We will see some insane things down the road, believe me.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    50 years from now, 10 billion people, warmer / resources being consumed with water defenses etc, running out of fuel, plastic, aluminium. I don't think games will be on the menu while today's culture continues on its self centres path sadly.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Unless lenr ...

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Kopogero

They won't have to wait a decade for one great online character progression game in a persistant world....And they will have so many great movies, tv series and so on to enjoy...(if by then the world is not already overcomed by deadly diseases, extreme poverty, third world war and so on)

It was at least not too bad to be born in 1985. I grew up with innovation around me. Arcade, NES, SNES, PSX, Dreamcast games, then LAN PC and so on. I was young and loved all those primitive, yet very creative and different type of games. As I became more mature I wanted more mature, complex games with some depth, purpose and meaning which is why I end up enjoying MMO's the most. Sadly, 2004 imo was the peak of evolution to this genre and it's been a decade without anything better...

So, me and I'm sure many others have to find other ways to entertain our lives with as we wait and wait...It's really sad that the technology is out there, but people simply don't seem to be capable of delivering a true quality, next generation MMORPG and it's why I've not spent a cent on ANY NEW GAME since January 11th, 2011...

Now, we can only predict which MMORPG or which year we will see something as big and successful as WOW. I predict it won't be until at least 2018-2020, but I do hope to be wrong if not I'll probably be the only living organizm on the planet earth who holded record for most time spent enjoying more games than anyone out there for his first 20 years of his lifetime and then not spent a cent on any new game for 7-8 straight years...Ah....the irony!

So, when do you think we will see that great, next gen game or who you think would deliver it?

We will see that great, next gen game, when people stop whinning about what we don't have, and start playing games to have fun again.

We have more games, more innovation, and more variety than we have EVER had before in gaming. Sure, that new game smell is gone. Instead of a dozen, or 100 games to compare; we now have thousands. Every year we have dozens of new games being made across multiple genres and platforms.

It gets so old seeing people complaining about how much better older MMOs were. Especially once you realize that nearly all of those games are still playable today. At yet most of these people don't play them anymore. Many of my favorite games do not have sequels. As cool as it would be to have sequels to many of those games, I would rather not have one, then to have one fail to live up to its precursor.

I'm the same way w/ MMOs. I try and approach them each like their own game. If they're too bland, I generally stop playing. However, what I don't do is treat every new MMO like some kind of failed SWG attempt. I know that game is gone. However I can still have fun w/ my CoX, with my GW games, with DAoC, with PS2. Heck, I even had fun in FFXIV, inspite my general dislike for games designed that way. I stopped playing it, but I at least got a couple months of fun out of it.

There are a lot of cool aspects to playing within a virtual world. And I'd love to see more of them. However I'm not spoiled enough to expect every game developer to launch a multi-million dollar project catered specifically to me. There are still virtual worlds being made, maybe not all MMOs, but the concept is not dead. Heck, I still enjoy playing Minecraft today.

Most of these games haven't gone away. Once we stop treating them like disposable content, we might start to realize that we've been sitting on a mountain of entertainment this whole time. To this day I still go back and enjoy old games. They haven't gone anywhere.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

50 years from now, the environment and climate will be totally fucked up.  Income inequality will be even worse.  Religious tolerance will be completely unheard of (more so than even today).  Job opportunities will be limited to either being rich, or serving the rich.

Best case scenario is that each person's "earning potential" is some weird function of their online habits or social reputation.  The more you consume, the more data they collect on you, which somehow translates into an income.  Worst case scenario is religiously intolerance sparks WW III, and gaming will be a relic of the past.

You make me like charity

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by asmkm22

50 years from now, the environment and climate will be totally fucked up.  Income inequality will be even worse.  Religious tolerance will be completely unheard of (more so than even today).  Job opportunities will be limited to either being rich, or serving the rich.

Best case scenario is that each person's "earning potential" is some weird function of their online habits or social reputation.  The more you consume, the more data they collect on you, which somehow translates into an income.  Worst case scenario is religiously intolerance sparks WW III, and gaming will be a relic of the past.

Plus: Soylent Green!!