Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why play anything but assassin class?

SotoSoto Member UncommonPosts: 177
Unless for roleplaying reason, why play another class than an assassin? I been reading up on the various classes and the assassin seems so god-like. They have best dps, can stun, slow other CC, even have self heals!!!! I can just see groups of assassins roaming PVP and killing other, non-assassin groups easily. I mean, WTH! This class has it all??

the sword of no sword...

Comments

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86

You mean the Nightblade class? the ultimate ability that provides the invisibility synergy (and doesn't last long)so other allies become invisible is the only thing that stands out. In PvP, any class can go stealth and in teso, stealth = invisibility. Any class can use any weapon and armor. And some classes have their own healing spells. I prefer a dragon knight over a Nightblade any day.

• WarThorWarThor Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Ok I will thanks for advice.
  • SotoSoto Member UncommonPosts: 177
    How does it work...in PvP the other classes can go stealth? if they move do the other classes loose stealth? Is stealth on a timer for the other classes?

the sword of no sword...

• WarThorWarThor Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Everyone's stealth is same except some class, racial, armor, or vamp abilities can modify it some.
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Everyone can stealth for an indefinite amount of time.  Everyone can also move while stealthed, although it is pretty slow.  You can see your relm mates when they are stealthed, but enemies are toatlly invisible until you are 3-4 meters from them.  If you attack while stealthed you break stealth.  Stealth is also not instant, it takes about 2 seconds to activate.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Soto
    Unless for roleplaying reason, why play another class than an assassin? I been reading up on the various classes and the assassin seems so god-like. They have best dps, can stun, slow other CC, even have self heals!!!! I can just see groups of assassins roaming PVP and killing other, non-assassin groups easily. I mean, WTH! This class has it all??

I'm not sure what you mean, there isn't an 'assassin' class.

I'm assuming you mean Nightblade?

The thing is, I can say the same thing about every class in this game (DragonKnight, Nightblade, Templar, Sorc). They all have top dps (if specced for it), they can all stun, they all have slows and other CC, they all have some method of self healing (though the sorc has to get theirs from outside trees).

What sets the classes apart is how these tools manifest, and how they utilize them. DK has some amazing AoE damage, though they've been getting repeatedly nerfed each update. They also have some of the best utility in the game. Templar has some of the best base abilities, but are more vulnerable to CC than the other classes. Sorc has really high single target burst, and has a good mix of everthing, but has lacks class-specific healing abilities. Nightblade has a lot of good single target abilities but has to rely on non-class skill lines (and an ultimate) for decent AoE.

Tbh, one could write an entire article explaining (in detail) how each class can do similar things, but they manage it very differently. However, most people wouldn't bother reading it. And those same people would still fail to understand how games design this way offer more choice, and class diversity; and not less.

- If you enjoy the Nightblade, play it. They're a lot of fun, and they are indeed a strong class. However, I think you will find as you play the game more, that all the classes are good in their own ways. I know my friends are trying to force me to main a templar after playing one in the betas. I'm not sure if I will (due to the excessive regen nerfs), but the class is indeed a very strong one. People are constantly creating new builds for classes that other people haven't thought of. And many of them are indeed viable and strong.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Sorc has a way easier time leveling up and is much stronger in veteran level content. 
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    How does it work...in PvP the other classes can go stealth? if they move do the other classes loose stealth? Is stealth on a timer for the other classes?

Stealth works as follows:

1) Everyone can stealth, it's not a 'skill', and you don't need to train for it. You just crouch (cntrl button).

2) Stealth is based on 'line of sight', and detection radius. If you are looking at a stealthed player, and are within the detection radius (varies depending on your detection skills, as well as the stealthed players' anti-detection passives) you will 'spot' them. When you spot someone they will know it, and depending on how successfully you've spotted them, they will either be partially invisible, or completely exposed.

3) All classes benefit from stealth openers. If you do a powered attack out of stealth, it will do bonus damage. Regardless of what class you are.

Furthermore, medium armor has passives that boost stealth. Also, nightblade does have a couple class skills that benefit from stealth (which is fairly unique to them), however there are other skill lines that are not class-specific that also benefit from stealth.

Hope that helps!

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

uhhhhh.... cause you want to?

the only REAL reason for doing anything.

• Zaskar70Zaskar70 Member UncommonPosts: 27

Every class is an "assassin" class in TESO. They gave stealth to everyone, some classes do have some small advantages to the stealth ability but nothing too big.

If you thought you hated being ganked by invisible stealth classes in whatever MMO you have played before, you will now be getting ganked by invisible tanks, sorcerers, etc.

Entire groups and even zergs will be invisible in TESO ;)

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Nightblades have the worst AoE and group synergy.  They're also arguably the least versatile class.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Nightblades have the worst AoE and group synergy.  They're also arguably the least versatile class.

Yeah?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

The "Assassin" (Nightblade) class was always called by the long term beta tester as the weakest class in comparison to other ones at endgame.  It was also said , the Nightblade class is the one most lacking in comparison to the other ones and could need a buff.

When it comes to "stealth". Every class can do this in ESO.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by spizz

The "Assassin" (Nightblade) class was always called by the long term beta tester as the weakest class in comparison to other ones at endgame.  It was also said , the Nightblade class is the one most lacking in comparison to the other ones and could need a buff.

When it comes to "stealth". Every class can do this in ESO.

This is true. At end game, Nightblades do less dps, their CC is horrid (No real hard CC outside of an ultimate, and if you morph it to heal, the stun goes away) and like 80% of their crap was broken. And I mean broken in the "doesn't work" kind of way, like the additional damage on low target health wasn't happening. And crit was borked. 

The only place they really shine right now, imo, is that they have more healing options outside of the resto staff and that they are the "duracell" battery solo class for vet content with their bajillion options to recover health, magicka or stamina.

I personally would give Templars a bit of a magicka management buff first, because since NBs have actually been getting their stuff fixed they might be better now. We'll see.

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Because it's not all about stats? This game relies more on strategy than stats. 9 times out 10 I dummied every night blade I met 1 on 1 in pvp, with my full heavy templar healer w/bow. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by MeridiasBeacon

You mean the Nightblade class? the ultimate ability that provides the invisibility synergy (and doesn't last long)so other allies become invisible is the only thing that stands out. In PvP, any class can go stealth and in teso, stealth = invisibility. Any class can use any weapon and armor. And some classes have their own healing spells. I prefer a dragon knight over a Nightblade any day.

I played an assasin with my templar jumping people from stealth ... Worked quite well with dual wielding and my bow.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

NB has the worst Ultimates in the game.

NB has mediocre dps compared to.. well DK.

DK is supreme to anything else in term sof DPS...

NB is good for hit and run.

and for those who still have the idea of a "blood mage" type class, but that is not really viable in the end. Other healing builds are much more effective.

• carpalcarpal Member UncommonPosts: 99

I plan on playing a Nightblade, as really that is the class I always prefer - rogue.  Problem I personally am seeing is with the Shadow line.  I would expect this line to give up some DPS to gain some stealth advantage.  I am not really seeing that.  It just seems like the class hasn't been thought out at all and just some junk was thrown in there.

For example shadow skills, there isn't anything I can see improving stealth that would make me go, I think I will run with shadow skills.  Doesn't really matter I guess, as most will just go with the weapon skills anyhow.  Would like more stealth related skills to this class.  Since everyone else can stealth, this class should go above and beyond that, with improved stealth detection and stealth speed.  You get more stealth related skills from medium armor, which makes no sense.

The logical path here is go for a ranged nuker class, as they will rule for a good time.  But no, I am going with Nightblade and Shadow, because that is how I play.  If the class sucks, then probably will quit playing it till they improve it.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Hrotha

NB has the worst Ultimates in the game.

NB has mediocre dps compared to.. well DK.

DK is supreme to anything else in term sof DPS...

NB is good for hit and run.

and for those who still have the idea of a "blood mage" type class, but that is not really viable in the end. Other healing builds are much more effective.

The short comings of Nightblade are mentioned by devs. Expect buffs and nerfs as always. Beta testers take great pride is the knowledge they obtain but this can change in one patch and be completely different soon after launch.

It seems to me that many spout out class information like it is written in stone. "Only play DK because it is the best!" ... then it is nerfed 2 weeks later.

Also the only good thing I keep hearing about NB (other than gank builds) is a caster support build for it and even that is an area the devs (in AMA) said is a priority for them to fix for all classes. The main issue is the lack of synergy abilities for NB which can be changed quickly.

Play the game ... don't worry about this crap. Is my humble suggestion. :)

You stay sassy!

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    If you want a challenge you can play NB or to some extent Templar. Sorcs and DKs are easy mode and pretty OP.  The devs are aware that NBs have no utility and they will be looking into that in the future.  DKs are pretty much faceroll and for the games sake need a good nerfing.
      OMG I am Ancient!
    Originally posted by Azmodeus
    If you want a challenge you can play NB or to some extent Templar. Sorcs and DKs are easy mode and pretty OP.  The devs are aware that NBs have no utility and they will be looking into that in the future.  DKs are pretty much faceroll and for the games sake need a good nerfing.

Good advice to play what you want.  The question is, how responsive will Zenimax be to balancing?  I have seen games (especially in their early release) not make class changes (nerfs and buffs) for fear of running off the paying public.  Sometimes waiting a year.  Then I have seen it where they just knock the nerf bat around freely, making a mess of two years of beta.  Who knows how Zen will be.

I always thought this so filled with rot.  I mean what is going on in with long term beta, why are they not getting the class balanced right?  My first instinct is the beta players themselves.  Many are members of large substained guilds, with only one purpose, understand the game so they can get a leg up with launch.  The other is news outlets and many reviews I have read are people who really seem to know little about MMOs.  

My thoughts.  I am sure there is a large part of excellent BETA players that just aren't getting heard enough.  Otherwise, how can you explain imbalance at launch?

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by carpal

I plan on playing a Nightblade, as really that is the class I always prefer - rogue.  Problem I personally am seeing is with the Shadow line.  I would expect this line to give up some DPS to gain some stealth advantage.  I am not really seeing that.  It just seems like the class hasn't been thought out at all and just some junk was thrown in there.

For example shadow skills, there isn't anything I can see improving stealth that would make me go, I think I will run with shadow skills.  Doesn't really matter I guess, as most will just go with the weapon skills anyhow.  Would like more stealth related skills to this class.  Since everyone else can stealth, this class should go above and beyond that, with improved stealth detection and stealth speed.  You get more stealth related skills from medium armor, which makes no sense.

The logical path here is go for a ranged nuker class, as they will rule for a good time.  But no, I am going with Nightblade and Shadow, because that is how I play.  If the class sucks, then probably will quit playing it till they improve it.

There is no true "rogue" class in ESO.

Every class can attack from stealth.

Originally posted by spizz
    Originally posted by carpal

There is no true "rogue" class in ESO.

Every class can attack from stealth.

Point exactly.  There is nothing in my class skills that allows me to play rogue.