Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Occulus VR to be Purchased by Facebook

Comments

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I don't get why people can't understand why we are upset about this.

Being bought up by Facebook will definitely change the direction Rift focuses on.  The device was primarily meant for immersive gaming, with simulation secondary, and other things like immersive movie watching and virtual shopping (like for homes) as something that would be possible with the Rift, but not likely going to become a focus.

We already know the focus will change.  They'll leave Rift alone for a while, but we all know Zuckerberg is going to push the social aspects of the device.  I mean in the post about the buyout he already stated that he's interested in doing so with the whole sentence people keep quoting above.

On top of that we have the whole issue of Facebook wanting a return on their investment.  This could very well mean selling of your data.  It could mean you'll see a lot of advertisements when using the Rift.  There is a good chance that they'll take a % of the cut for any games (and other applications) as well to get ROI which doesn't exist with the OR in it's current iteration.

This very well may be good news for the OR's future as Facebook will really push to market this, but it's bad news for gamers.  I don't really care about the OR's potential in social media, classroom learning, or watching sports as if I'm really at the stadium itself.  I mainly just care about it's potential in gaming and all I personally see is this is going to take away the focus from gaming.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I think they leaked their April fools a little too early.

Edit: The bitterness of the Internet knows no limits. Hell hath no fury like a mob of angry gamer's scorn.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Its a platform. All that matters is if facebook forces facebook integration along with the platform. If they simply use it like google uses google glass, then its a fantastic thing for gamers. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by AIMonster

I don't get why people can't understand why we are upset about this.

Being bought up by Facebook will definitely change the direction Rift focuses on.  The device was primarily meant for immersive gaming, with simulation secondary, and other things like immersive movie watching and virtual shopping (like for homes) as something that would be possible with the Rift, but not likely going to become a focus.

We already know the focus will change.  They'll leave Rift alone for a while, but we all know Zuckerberg is going to push the social aspects of the device.  I mean in the post about the buyout he already stated that he's interested in doing so with the whole sentence people keep quoting above.

On top of that we have the whole issue of Facebook wanting a return on their investment.  This could very well mean selling of your data.  It could mean you'll see a lot of advertisements when using the Rift.  There is a good chance that they'll take a % of the cut for any games (and other applications) as well to get ROI which doesn't exist with the OR in it's current iteration.

This very well may be good news for the OR's future as Facebook will really push to market this, but it's bad news for gamers.  I don't really care about the OR's potential in social media, classroom learning, or watching sports as if I'm really at the stadium itself.  I mainly just care about it's potential in gaming and all I personally see is this is going to take away the focus from gaming.

Upset is one thing, have you read through this thread? There's a whole other level of something going on here. Upset is a complete understatement.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• tankknattankknat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I dont like this one bit... the people I feel sorry for the most are the ones who helped with the kickstarter... this is a kick in the teeth to the occulus followers... I dont think it would be so bad if facebook had put in this money before the kickstarter... not when its already off the ground... oh well... goodbye Occulus...
    Originally posted by tankknat
    I dont like this one bit... the people I feel sorry for the most are the ones who helped with the kickstarter... this is a kick in the teeth to the occulus followers... I dont think it would be so bad if facebook had put in this money before the kickstarter... not when its already off the ground... oh well... goodbye Occulus...

I don't get this mentality, it was a piece of technology, it was always destined for this to happen under circumstances of success. That's the way tech works, if it wasn't facebook it would have been someone else.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Zalmon

I cant believe some of the mental replies in this topic. Too many paranoid people.

And facebook acquiring Occulus won't hinder its application in video games, it just means that now its applications will be more widespread.

Yeah, probably as long as you use Facebook.

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

Oh no a start up company gets a corporate sponsor!!!! It must be the end of the world!!!!! Its not like other good ideas got large corporate backings (Like say... Anroid, orginally a Open Handset Alliance software purchased by Google)

Seriously everyone, read some articles on it. Facebook is playing investment. I agree that it could be in better hands, but that kind of money can really push it full swing. It wasn't but 3 months ago the entire the Dev Kit V2 project was in danger of collapsing due to funding and production issues. Lets just cross our fingers and hope. 

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I feel alot better after reading all this from palmers reedit. Seems like they are still going to have creative rights. This could be a great things guys. Take the time to read this. http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey?count=25&after=t1_cgby9ft
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    Originally posted by Distopia Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs So what happens to the people that Crowd Funded this on Kickstarter??  
    What should? This is the whole point behind Kickstarters, start off small, build toward something big. Can't get much bigger than this.
    This was supposed to be a Consumer funded project. Not a Zuckerberg funded project.

The point behind Kickstarter is to start off small and build to something bigger with the help of the public (end user).

Not to use the Consumers money so you can build up your project just to sell it off to some billionaire asshole.

I think those that Kickstarted this thing should get their money back.

Where does it ever say that, And where does it say its any more than just throwing money at something. ie its not an investment.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Epicent
    I feel alot better after reading all this from palmers reedit. Seems like they are still going to have creative rights. This could be a great things guys. Take the time to read this. http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey?count=25&after=t1_cgby9ft

All those lovely points are countered with one word:

Facebook

If you didn't know. It's not a well received word among the gaming community.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

All those lovely points are countered with one word:

Facebook

If you didn't know. It's not a well received word among the gaming community.

Lol. Im trying to be positive.............I can only hope for the best. VR is the future and if oculus doesnt deliver someone else will.  Im crossing my fingers

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Same for me...thought about buying one...well not anymore
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

The rough equivalent of a stealth bomber is nothing to shake a stick at.  Palmer and Iribe made the smart business move in agreeing to this.  I think this opens up more possibilities than ever before and is something to be legitimately enthusiastic about.  Before jogging down various mental hypotheses of how Facebook will control Oculus' creative direction, consider that before this the future of Oculus remained somewhat uncertain.  With this investment captial Oculus will be able to make their dream a reality with greater fidelity and over a much broader range of applications.

Facebook is nothing to be afraid of as long as it's used responsibly.  Employers will actually look at the way social media is used by a potential employee before hiring; it can actually be an asset.  Based on Zuckerberg's statement I doubt Facebook will interfere much with Oculus' direction, especially at first; however, as time goes on we'll begin to see a variety of unexpected uses for this technology, not necessarily tied in to Facebook as it exists today, but associated with the Facebook brand.

Lastly, I'll be that guy who recommends watching "The Social Network" to get a better idea of Facebook's history and some of the dramatic changes it's gone through over the past decade.

Just going to leave this here. It's a link to a post on this site I made on the subject that explains why "I" will not buy a FB product. I will not go into much more detail other than that. It's to personal.  Had certain people asked instead of insulting others I am sure people would have explained their point of view. I didn't post specifics earlier because I was refraining from derailing the topic. Imagine that. Until two trolls started belittling everyone. Most people could guess it was privacy related but specifically haven't given my perspective. It's amazing how 2 people in this thread told me that they knew the situation and what's best for me. That they had me all figured out. Still amazed by that.

As far as I care  EA, Google, Steam, Microsoft, almost any company other than FB could have picked it up and I would personally not said a word. None of those companies gave me a month of hell trying to sort out a really bad situation. THAT HAS STILL TO BE SORTED A YEAR LATER!!!!!!!!! I gave up. It wasn't just an isolated incident with me either.  They have a really bad reputation for how they handle such situations. Similar incidents have been in the news, it's been documented fairly well online. My story, I have little doubt that it would have made the news had I made someone "bite the curb."  At that point in time it was that bad considering everything that had happened related to this person.

You will most likely not believe it.  I still don't believe it or get it. How a company whose business is people can be so screwed up and not get it. This company was telling me who was the real me and who wasn't. After going through their process of giving real I.D. and all that jazz!  They told family members on this persons friends list the same who went through the same process.  People who were duped.  I SHIT YOU NOT!!  I am calmed down a year later for the most part. Blood still gets a little hot when on the subject. That's about it.

In short someone very maliciously had been using my identity for gain and to do damage. They also stole personal property of mine 1 car 1 truck of the top items. It was someone from my past who I had not had contact with for 8 years. Someone I did nothing to except not associate with them anymore because they were malicious people. Go figure.

So I don't hate Facebook because it's the popular thing to do.  I have a dam good reason never to spend money or touch any service or product from them and I won't 

Edit. The thread in that link was kind of stupid. That's beside the point. lmao

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

@ Teala 

I'm with you on this...

This is dangerous on so many levels... First being anything that you use or post on Facebook is no longer your property... your images are farmed and sold off every possible chance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/chris-murphy-facebook_n_4072669.html

Additionally... This is the next step into retinal recognition advertising...

It's funny how art imitates life as we can go back as far as Bladerunner and more modern movies where you are being recognized by camera via retinal ID... You'll walk through the mall and have digital (or holographic) billboards tailored to you.

It is sick shit and as much as we think we are anonymous on some friggin MMO site I would bet 95% of you are attention whoring on FB every chance you get... putting pics of your family, friends and kids for anyone to see...

The ignorance people have to all this is befuddling.

/tinfoil hat off...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by Wighty

@ Teala 

I'm with you on this...

This is dangerous on so many levels... First being anything that you use or post on Facebook is no longer your property... your images are farmed and sold off every possible chance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/chris-murphy-facebook_n_4072669.html

Additionally... This is the next step into retinal recognition advertising...

It's funny how art imitates life as we can go back as far as Bladerunner and more modern movies where you are being recognized by camera via retinal ID... You'll walk through the mall and have digital (or holographic) billboards tailored to you.

It is sick shit and as much as we think we are anonymous on some friggin MMO site I would bet 95% of you are attention whoring on FB every chance you get... putting pics of your family, friends and kids for anyone to see...

The ignorance people have to all this is befuddling.

/tinfoil hat off...

SO wait do you think if you're not using facebook or some other App, you're some how off the grid?

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Wighty

SO wait do you think if you're not using facebook or some other App, you're some how off the grid?

No... However the less you put your shit out there the less exposed you are... which is still bullshit I am sure...

However you don't need to outright volunteer your information...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of gamers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    So, they funded the project with kickstarter (with people's cash), now they sell it to facebook, that's backstabbing if there ever was any.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

so i wanted to use Occulus Rift to immerse myself in Elders SCrolls in First person. Now i'll use Occulus Rift to immerse myself in a farm......ville.

i think i'll stick to my controller, kb & mouse.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Oh. My. God.

This news did not make my day...

Mark Zuckerberg said:

“Oculus has the potential to be the most social platform ever,” he said. ‘“Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.”

Compared to the funding OR got from their Kicstarter campaign, this $2billion is silly money. They can probably repay every single one of the Kickstarter donations with 100% interest added, and they still wouldn't notice the difference in their bank balance.

Mind you, most of the money is in shares. Facebook shares !

The deal includes $400 million in cash and $1.6 billion in Facebook stock, as well as an additional $300 million if Oculus meets certain performance targets.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    So what happens to the people that Crowd Funded this on Kickstarter??

lol. Apparantly Francis would like to know also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFx0p_8fXXQ

I clicked that, and skipped through it to check if he was just playing at Cartman. Worrying that I would witness a heartattack take place made the funs less fun.

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91

seriously. 

/10chars

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

See you all in Oculus Rift. ;)

Or so I'd say if OR was a game. Heh. You are all going to buy it anyway if the specs are good and the games look cool with it. Honestly. Is anyone seriously not buying it because Facebook bought it? Maybe I buy it, maybe I won't. But I will wait for the actual product details. What does it matter if Marc Zuckerberg, Disney, EA or hell itself owned the damn thing. I mean, hello, welcome to capitalism! What do you think how many good ideas where bought by huge companies with the sole reason to never see the day of light! Good inventions which would help humanity but cut profit of some big business! A ton of cures, eco-cars and whatnot. THAT is what irates me. But some stupid 3d glasses?

Not so much.

NSA already knows everything about us. *shrug* Fight against THAT. Not Facebook buying some stupid video game hardware.

I guess it's just the nerd-dom. You hate Facebook because so many use it, making it less nerdy and too normal, and thus you hate anything connected with it. It's why people hate Bill Gates and why they loved that Apple dude, Steve Jobs or whatever his name was. Whereas in reality Bill Gates is quite a nice person and Steve Jobbs was, by all we know, a douchebag. But computer nerds don't care about that. For them there are the good guys of small companies and the bad guys of big ones.

Guys you know me; I am the first to cry out against things WORTH crying out against. I am not timid by all means. But I say, wait and see. If something shady and evil happens, I will outcry alongside you. But UNTIL then, crying wolf already is just hilarious. Isn't is a big chance for OR? They get some real money. Again, welcome to capitalism. It's how things work, ya know. *shrug*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well I'm really glad iv'e gone old school recently , I have spent about $400 on arcade joysticks. I shall still live in my old arcade dream world using my own imagination and as someone else said wait for implants , but not sponsored by facebook.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]