Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Occulus VR to be Purchased by Facebook

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Oh come on now guys, are you saying you don't want first class social integration in your VR games?!? I KNOW YOU DO!
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Teala

I don't use Facebook...and I really wish I didn't have to use Twitter.    As for Google...Google has almost become the Internet.   They are in everything.  

As technology grows our privacy naturally shrinks, it's a fact of life.

I myself don't fight it, I don't have anything to hide, I accept that people want my info to try to tailor ads to me.

Do you think Facebook does something unethical that Google doesn't do?  Or are you saying all tech companies that work with the government are bad?

Because they all do.

People like YOU are the problem who enjoy the enslavement and cattle status.

I tell you something technology can kiss my shiny metal ass if that means we all now live in freakin NORTH KOREA being spied upon by our own governments. Just enjoy your daily dose of media brainwash, enjoy the mental enslavement, government just wants the best for you, oh sure honey. And Facebook too! Now coming to your Oculus Rift,  the friendly Kickstarter company. I could puke on this news.

How exactly does that mean we all live in 'North Korea'? 

Because a Capitalist company bought another company in a capitalist move? 

I'm very confused.

Because Facebook has been proven to sell off you personal information. The Oculus Rift reads eye response and brain activity. Facebook can now sell your thoughts.

An EEG cannot read your mind first off and the Oculus Rift requires a massive refit to act also as a EEG, congrats on sinking yourself.

Oh and I suggest you stop using technology altogether , even the ISPs and the phone service providers share your information, you would have to be an imbecile to share information you are not comfortable with being known to any corporation these days.

Other technologies can't read your response to images. The Rift does. And now Facebook owns that information. Good try though

-facepalms- dude... read up on what you are saying... the eyes say very vague things at best and can be altered by any number of things (stress, intoxication, emotional state, etc) so reading a response being a general ballpark ( x likes kittens, y likes puppies) under ideal conditions is possible but that's allot of interpretation which computers cannot do with any degree of accuracy and if the Oculus is that popular (millions) and everyone uses the rift every day a few hours... you wanna guess how much data you gotta sift through?

-hands you a roll of aluminum foil- enjoy your "theories" though.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

lol , imho, it was bound to happen,  problem is, oculus wasn't really that good TBH, yet.

Sony , on the other hand has some real improvements in their VR headset, coupled with the move system.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Oh come on now guys, are you saying you don't want first class social integration in your VR games?!? I KNOW YOU DO!

"Justin is currently involved in a 2 girls 1 cup replay environment on the rift!"

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st...

In my mind this isn't much different than Facebook buying Friskies (cat food) or something. Sure they can slam ads all over the outside of it (maybe some prizes in the bags of cat food), but I don't really see the (a good) connection here.

I can see how this would be good for the future of Occulus (mostly via an influx of funds) and I really hope the Facebook involvement ends at money and a logo somewhere on the outside.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

The rough equivalent of a stealth bomber is nothing to shake a stick at.  Palmer and Iribe made the smart business move in agreeing to this.  I think this opens up more possibilities than ever before and is something to be legitimately enthusiastic about.  Before jogging down various mental hypotheses of how Facebook will control Oculus' creative direction, consider that before this the future of Oculus remained somewhat uncertain.  With this investment captial Oculus will be able to make their dream a reality with greater fidelity and over a much broader range of applications.

Facebook is nothing to be afraid of as long as it's used responsibly.  Employers will actually look at the way social media is used by a potential employee before hiring; it can actually be an asset.  Based on Zuckerberg's statement I doubt Facebook will interfere much with Oculus' direction, especially at first; however, as time goes on we'll begin to see a variety of unexpected uses for this technology, not necessarily tied in to Facebook as it exists today, but associated with the Facebook brand.

Lastly, I'll be that guy who recommends watching "The Social Network" to get a better idea of Facebook's history and some of the dramatic changes it's gone through over the past decade.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

I don't use Facebook...and I really wish I didn't have to use Twitter.    As for Google...Google has almost become the Internet.   They are in everything.  

I myself don't fight it, I don't have anything to hide, I accept that people want my info to try to tailor ads to me.

Do you think Facebook does something unethical that Google doesn't do?  Or are you saying all tech companies that work with the government are bad?

Because they all do.

I tell you something technology can kiss my shiny metal ass if that means we all now live in freakin NORTH KOREA being spied upon by our own governments. Just enjoy your daily dose of media brainwash, enjoy the mental enslavement, government just wants the best for you, oh sure honey. And Facebook too! Now coming to your Oculus Rift,  the friendly Kickstarter company. I could puke on this news.

I'm very confused.

Because Facebook has been proven to sell off you personal information. The Oculus Rift reads eye response and brain activity. Facebook can now sell your thoughts.

An EEG cannot read your mind first off and the Oculus Rift requires a massive refit to act also as a EEG, congrats on sinking yourself.

Oh and I suggest you stop using technology altogether , even the ISPs and the phone service providers share your information, you would have to be an imbecile to share information you are not comfortable with being known to any corporation these days.

Other technologies can't read your response to images. The Rift does. And now Facebook owns that information. Good try though

-facepalms- dude... read up on what you are saying... the eyes say very vague things at best and can be altered by any number of things (stress, intoxication, emotional state, etc) so reading a response being a general ballpark ( x likes kittens, y likes puppies) under ideal conditions is possible but that's allot of interpretation which computers cannot do with any degree of accuracy and if the Oculus is that popular (millions) and everyone uses the rift every day a few hours... you wanna guess how much data you gotta sift through?

A bit of research on how the Rift interprets data will answer all of your own questions. But you'll have to get your hand out of your face first.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Because they all do.

I'm very confused.

A bit of research on how the Rift interprets data will answer all of your own questions. But you'll have to get your hand out of your face first.

No need to, you seem to think a device can interpret human reactions but it isn't surprising considering you were claiming it was a mind-reading device earlier. The damn thing is a pair of screens, a gyro-sensor and maybe a camera facing your eyes so tell me where they managed to fit in the rig the supercomputer required to get a reliable read on your eyes under ideal conditions on your surface emotions. Until you explain that head off the thread as you are doing nothing but passing off pseudo-science as fact and it is annoying as Hell for anyone with two functional neurons and actually spent time studying how people behave and attempted to understand them beyond what they project even within an online environment (just using the eyes you can get a basic read using the iris, nothing more as you need the entire face for an emotional read and even then that is basic angry, happy, etc,etc).

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

@ ,

See, it's not only that Facebook is basically a big machine that is used to gather and sell information - it is also a machine used for social engineering.    That is why facebook dictates to the masses what is good, what is bad.   They love to control.    They love to also market crap to you - all the time.    Did you know that there are websites that now require you to have a facebook sub in order to even make comments on them?   That means if you don't have a facebook account...well touch luck.   Google does this with Youtube and their stupid Google+ that nobody frikking wants.   Imagine what Facebook will now want?   I don't want Facebook in my gaming - at all!  Period...end of story.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I think this says what you can expect.

Pretty much sums up this whole thing.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Come on guys, what can *possibly* go wrong?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Does this mean carmack works for facebook now? lmao :p

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    World of FaceCraft Online coming to you soon in 3D!

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

From 20 minutes ago on Oculus Rifts official site. A word from the creator about the merger. 

I’ve always loved games. They’re windows into worlds that let us travel somewhere fantastic. My foray into virtual reality was driven by a desire to enhance my gaming experience; to make my rig more than just a window to these worlds, to actually let me step inside them. As time went on, I realized that VR technology wasn’t just possible, it was almost ready to move into the mainstream. All it needed was the right push.

We started Oculus VR with the vision of making virtual reality affordable and accessible, to allow everyone to experience the impossible. With the help of an incredible community, we’ve received orders for over 75,000 development kits from game developers, content creators, and artists around the world.

When Facebook first approached us about partnering, I was skeptical. As I learned more about the company and its vision and spoke with Mark, the partnership not only made sense, but became the clear and obvious path to delivering virtual reality to everyone. Facebook was founded with the vision of making the world a more connected place. Virtual reality is a medium that allows us to share experiences with others in ways that were never before possible.

Facebook is run in an open way that’s aligned with Oculus’ culture. Over the last decade, Mark and Facebook have been champions of open software and hardware, pushing the envelope of innovation for the entire tech industry. As Facebook has grown, they’ve continued to invest in efforts like with the Open Compute Project, their initiative that aims to drive innovation and reduce the cost of computing infrastructure across the industry. This is a team that’s used to making bold bets on the future.

In the end, I kept coming back to a question we always ask ourselves every day at Oculus: what’s best for the future of virtual reality? Partnering with Mark and the Facebook team is a unique and powerful opportunity. The partnership accelerates our vision, allows us to execute on some of our most creative ideas and take risks that were otherwise impossible. Most importantly, it means a better Oculus Rift with fewer compromises even faster than we anticipated.

Very little changes day-to-day at Oculus, although we’ll have substantially more resources to build the right team. If you want to come work on these hard problems in computer vision, graphics, input, and audio, please apply!

This is a special moment for the gaming industry — Oculus’ somewhat unpredictable future just became crystal clear: virtual reality is coming, and it’s going to change the way we play games forever.

I’m obsessed with VR. I spend every day pushing further, and every night dreaming of where we are going. Even in my wildest dreams, I never imagined we’d come so far so fast.

I’m proud to be a member of this community — thank you all for carrying virtual reality and gaming forward and trusting in us to deliver. We won’t let you down.

– Palmer Luckey, Founder, Oculus

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    So what happens to the people that Crowd Funded this on Kickstarter??

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Meh, could see some good come of this could see some bad, in the end it's just a tool. There will be others, especially with so many companies taking an obvious curiosity in the device.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

lol. Apparantly Francis would like to know also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFx0p_8fXXQ

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What should? This is the whole point behind Kickstarters, start off small, build toward something big. Can't get much bigger than this.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

I cant believe some of the mental replies in this topic. Too many paranoid people.

And facebook acquiring Occulus won't hinder its application in video games, it just means that now its applications will be more widespread.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Glad I'm getting a PS4

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Distopia

What should? This is the whole point behind Kickstarters, start off small, build toward something big. Can't get much bigger than this.

This was supposed to be a Consumer funded project. Not a Zuckerberg funded project.

The point behind Kickstarter is to start off small and build to something bigger with the help of the public (end user).

Not to use the Consumers money so you can build up your project just to sell it off to some billionaire asshole.

I think those that Kickstarted this thing should get their money back.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I always said that this device would be dead before it hits the market  :)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

You guys are hilarious. First of all Facebook and the NSA/CIA don't need to have an agreement in order for it to be used to "spy" on you. Most information people post is public, you don't have any expectation of priacy when you post it to the web. NSA/CIA/Gov simply needs to pay someone to shift through all the amount of public data on there to make a very telling profile on you. Honestly, any individual on this site could trawl one of their friend's profiles and tell their friend what they are planning on doing for the next week based on their posts. 

Secondly, OR might be designed perfectly for gamers, but its a platform first, a platform that can be used for anything that it can support. From everything I know of OR its obvious that the platform was eventually going to be taken in this direction if for no other reason than to expand its marketable base. Do gamers have a monopoly of the platform? No. 

Now, I am a little worried about what facebook might try and integrated into the platform by a default. HOWEVER, if facebook takes a hands off approch to the platform and simply uses the in depth knowledge of it to customize software that is ultra compatible with it, thus using the purchase as nothing more than a competitive edge, there will be nothing to fear. 

But lets be real, OR by itself is not SAO. You can get vertigo from it, but that's about it. You need it to either hook into the sympathetic nervous system, which has its own fears, or you need a suit to go along with that simulates contact with objects. IMO, the most likely state that VR will go to in the near future is a body suit and software that simulates pain/feeling. The amount of coding to go into this for games would be VERY intense, but the possibilities and starting blocks are already there. Funnily enough, part of its comes from the pron industry that. Look it up

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    The only worse company I could think of buying them out would be Microsoft, and not by much.