Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Occulus VR to be Purchased by Facebook

Comments

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Chii-Nii

Nobody likes Facebook - While it will push the Oculus in the right direction further, it will only be detoured by facebooks dream for the future of VR: Zuckerberg says that Facebook will "focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games." But he makes clear that after Oculus sees through its gaming ambitions, Facebook will expand the product into new territory"Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face"

Reactions from everyone: It's not April fools day yet is it? They must have missed the mark by a week!

Hah! Good One!  *Checks Date* Wait...Wha? It's Real???

Future Hilarious Reactions are the Following, which are legitimate feelings towards OR

I'm so confused, their announcement and Zuckerbergs vision are honestly amazing things, this is life changing for all of us.  This has literally made VR a reality where as before it was a novelty or a joke.

This is exciting news, this is really happening this time.

This isn't like the virtual boy, this isn't some trendy bullshit, this is REALLY HAPPENING.

And it's amazing.

Occulus Rift was the dream for gamers and exclusive to us gamers, and I think everyone is just feeling a massive sting since the rift was backed by Kickstarter Gamers and we put all of our hopes and dreams into the future of "GAMING" but now that dream has changed now that Facebook has it's dirty hands on it....and at the end of the day Facebook is just hated amongst many.

Good or Bad? Exciting News? It's really just bad news since they clearly want to get gaming out of the way to move onto the 'dreams' that they want.  It sounds great to get the news faster and all but that's just not how it works or should. Nobody wants to recieve a text message (or Virtual Reality Distress Signal/Meeting with a doctor) (Or going to school) ....and being told everything you have is gone for good in a fast manner sounds like an amazing thing when it is not, and really It does not benefit gamers and everything the Oculus Rift stood before which was FOR GAMERS the FUTURE of GAMING is no longer a real dream anymore.

The future this partnership brings is the things we hate the most: Going to school and Talking with your Doctor except now you can do it right when you wake up! I know it sounds selfish those can be seen as a great plus ++ but not for those who have supported and dreamed alongside Oculus and supported it. Facebook will burn it to the ground, the dreams of all those who have supported it thus far.

Mark my words.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Hulluck

Because you fail to realize or acknowledge that perspective doesn't make it invalid. It shouldn't have to be explained to anyone at this point.  After years of debate, news lines and uncounted personal accounts. You can disagree with the perspective and most likely do since so many actually use the service. It doesn't make their p.o.v. any less valid.  Not supporting a product because it's produced by a company with bad business practices is definitely a valid reason.

Correct, yet I still do try to explain it to you.  That's why I'm here, to have friendly debate.

I do recognize other view points as valid in their concerns when their concerns are valid.

If you are going to boycott Facebook products over this then please boycott all things that go against your morals, not just the ones that hit the news spotlight and are trendy to dislike.

He would be living in a cave somewhere in Tibet with self-made clothes and iron age tools if he did that.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Damn sell out company, first they play the friendly "we are different" indies on Kickstarter, then they sell out to this NSA spying platfform Crapbook.

Traitors. I am disgusted. Shame on you, Oculus.

They didn't sell out, they didn't betray anyone, please calm down and read the article, I think once you do that you will be a lot happier.

'NSA spying platform crapbook'?   What?

I'm at a complete loss as to how you could arrive at these conclusions.

Umm..dude, Facebook sells your information to the US government...it was just in the news.   Also, it does make the OR guys sell outs.  It means they give up creative control on what OR will be used for primarily, and if Zuckerburg has his way it will also mean that owners of the Oculus Rift in the future will most likely require a facebook sub.   Don't believe me....Google bought Youtube...couple of years later, Youtube now requires you to have a Google+ account to even comment on Youtube!   No conspiracy stuff going on here...that is the reality of it.   OR selling out to Facebook means Facebook will be in control of it....and that means integration into Facebook whether you want it or not.

Not only that, but the oculus Rift can monitor your brain activity and look right into your eyes

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Tierless

Originally posted by Skuall lol whats the deal with facebook? are buying everything or what? they just bought whatsapp , now Occulus? D:
    Facebook is slowly dying...that is the purpose of these key purchases, to save Zuckerburgs spying app.    These two key things will just reinforce his strangle hold on his information gathering tool. 

THIS! People are realizing 1. It has no purpose. 2. They have no true NEED for it. 3. It's a trend and it's dying like myspace.

It's admirable that you look for the economic reasons behind what's happening, because that is actually what matters in this situation.

However, I would disagree, if Facebook were dying I doubt they would have dropped 19 BILLION on Whatsapp and 2 BILLION on this in the past 2 months, most people who are dying or are poor don't go on spending sprees on questionably profitable companies. 

They are trying to diversify their assets and think that these are areas that will be viable for monetary gain in the long term.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I think this says what you can expect.

Originally posted by Righteous_Rock

Damn sell out company, first they play the friendly "we are different" indies on Kickstarter, then they sell out to this NSA spying platfform Crapbook.

Traitors. I am disgusted. Shame on you, Oculus.

They didn't sell out, they didn't betray anyone, please calm down and read the article, I think once you do that you will be a lot happier.

'NSA spying platform crapbook'?   What?

I'm at a complete loss as to how you could arrive at these conclusions.

Umm..dude, Facebook sells your information to the US government...it was just in the news.   Also, it does make the OR guys sell outs.  It means they give up creative control on what OR will be used for primarily, and if Zuckerburg has his way it will also mean that owners of the Oculus Rift in the future will most likely require a facebook sub.   Don't believe me....Google bought Youtube...couple of years later, Youtube now requires you to have a Google+ account to even comment on Youtube!   No conspiracy stuff going on here...that is the reality of it.   OR selling out to Facebook means Facebook will be in control of it....and that means integration into Facebook whether you want it or not.

Not only that, but the oculus Rift can monitor your brain activity and look right into your eyes

Please for the love of all that is good in this world look up how an EEG-device works...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Huh.  I don't see this ending well unless Facebook leaves Oculus alone.  I don't see how Oculus fits into any Facebook strategy.  I mean, the Oculus is an interface thing and Facebook is horrible at interfaces.  This is just a weird pairing. 

Oh.  I just got it.  Google Glass.  Facebook couldn't get into the phone business, so they are going to get into the wearable business starting with Oculus.  Bleh.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Huh.  I don't see this ending well unless Facebook leaves Oculus alone.  I don't see how Oculus fits into any Facebook strategy.  I mean, the Oculus is an interface thing and Facebook is horrible at interfaces.  This is just a weird pairing. 

Someone doesn't get 'bought' unless they were lookin to be 'bought'

Occulus Rift needed the money to be able to make it's release date, and Facebook apparently was the best deal they could get.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I don't use Facebook...and I really wish I didn't have to use Twitter.    As for Google...Google has almost become the Internet.   They are in everything.  

As technology grows our privacy naturally shrinks, it's a fact of life.

I myself don't fight it, I don't have anything to hide, I accept that people want my info to try to tailor ads to me.

Do you think Facebook does something unethical that Google doesn't do?  Or are you saying all tech companies that work with the government are bad?

Because they all do.

People like YOU are the problem who enjoy the enslavement and cattle status.

I tell you something technology can kiss my shiny metal ass if that means we all now live in freakin NORTH KOREA being spied upon by our own governments. Just enjoy your daily dose of media brainwash, enjoy the mental enslavement, government just wants the best for you, oh sure honey. And Facebook too! Now coming to your Oculus Rift,  the friendly Kickstarter company. I could puke on this news.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Occulus Rift needed the money to be able to make it's release date, and Facebook apparently was the best deal they could get.

I don't know many people that would turn down 2 billion dollars.  Even if they weren't looking to get bought, they might have gotten bought for that price.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

I don't use Facebook...and I really wish I didn't have to use Twitter.    As for Google...Google has almost become the Internet.   They are in everything.  

I myself don't fight it, I don't have anything to hide, I accept that people want my info to try to tailor ads to me.

Do you think Facebook does something unethical that Google doesn't do?  Or are you saying all tech companies that work with the government are bad?

Because they all do.

I tell you something technology can kiss my shiny metal ass if that means we all now live in freakin NORTH KOREA being spied upon by our own governments. Just enjoy your daily dose of media brainwash, enjoy the mental enslavement, government just wants the best for you, oh sure honey. And Facebook too! Now coming to your Oculus Rift,  the friendly Kickstarter company. I could puke on this news.

How exactly does that mean we all live in 'North Korea'? 

Because a Capitalist company bought another company in a capitalist move? 

I'm very confused.

I don't know many people that would turn down 2 billion dollars.  Even if they weren't looking to get bought, they might have gotten bought for that price.

Someone who could make far more than 2 billion if they didn't have to have such a partnership?

Or if someone else offered more?

You don't just wake up one day and get offered 2 billion dollars and say 'yeah!'

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

Because they all do.

I'm very confused.

Because Facebook has been proven to sell off your personal information. The Oculus Rift reads eye response and brain activity. Facebook can now sell your thoughts.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

At least this happened before the commercial launch so one less product to buy. Hopefully other companies will start developing VR interfaces, it will take at least a few years anyway until a good fantasy mmo will be launched for this kind of technology (not very interested in sf games and don't care much about SOE)

Originally posted by eldaris

At least this happened before the commercial launch so one less product to buy. Hopefully other companies will start developing VR interfaces, it will take at least a few years anyway until a good fantasy mmo will be launched for this kind of technology (not very interested in sf games and don't care much about SOE)

Sony and Microsoft are both developing VR

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Hulluck

Because you fail to realize or acknowledge that perspective doesn't make it invalid. It shouldn't have to be explained to anyone at this point.  After years of debate, news lines and uncounted personal accounts. You can disagree with the perspective and most likely do since so many actually use the service. It doesn't make their p.o.v. any less valid.  Not supporting a product because it's produced by a company with bad business practices is definitely a valid reason.

Correct, yet I still do try to explain it to you.  That's why I'm here, to have friendly debate.

I do recognize other view points as valid in their concerns when their concerns are valid.

If you are going to boycott Facebook products over this then please boycott all things that go against your morals, not just the ones that hit the news spotlight and are trendy to dislike.

He would be living in a cave somewhere in Tibet with self-made clothes and iron age tools if he did that.

Do what? It's funny and alarming how two people just displayed that they know what's best for me. That they know my spending habits. Which companies I do and do not support. That they think they have the right to belittle any person because I dare not support a company whose business practices I don't agree with. He started out attacking people early on telling them he saw no valid reason given even though some people had given one early on. I corrected him and it's evolved into this. Fucking speechless.

Originally posted by Tygranir

Because Facebook has been proven to sell off you personal information. The Oculus Rift reads eye response and brain activity. Facebook can now sell your thoughts.

Yes, Facebook SELLS (capitalist move) your information.

So does pretty much everyone else, I've listed off a dozen companies already.  Yet I don't see people protesting google, or verizon, or apple, or any of them.  I just see people being upset with Facebook because it's in the news recently.  Which is just being used by the media.

If you didn't think that a platform that could read your eye responses wouldn't be used to sell information then you were kidding yourself.

It can't read your thoughts, saying so is just painting with far too broad a brush the details of the truth.

Because they all do.

I'm very confused.

Because Facebook has been proven to sell off you personal information. The Oculus Rift reads eye response and brain activity. Facebook can now sell your thoughts.

An EEG cannot read your mind first off and the Oculus Rift requires a massive refit to act also as a EEG, congrats on sinking yourself.

Oh and I suggest you stop using technology altogether , even the ISPs and the phone service providers share your information, you would have to be an imbecile to share information you are not comfortable with being known to any corporation these days.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

My knee-jerk reaction was WHAT?!  FFS not Facebook!   But..

I can't say I blame them.  VR is certainly the future of business meetings, social networking and gaming. 

I'd like to say that I'm surprised that it wasn't Google that purchased the tech, but it's a very smart move by Facebook.

SoE (which he mentions) is Sony.

Also, Sony's VR is looking to be only on the PS4, part of why people are so upset about today's announcement.

Also, how is Microsoft or Sony any better morally than Facebook?  Microsoft was one of the first people to ever comply with the NSA, without a fight or a word of protest.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

I think this says what you can expect.

LOL omg that's perfect.  :P

Originally posted by Dihoru

Because they all do.

I'm very confused.

An EEG cannot read your mind first off and the Oculus Rift requires a massive refit to act also as a EEG, congrats on sinking yourself.

Oh and I suggest you stop using technology altogether , even the ISPs and the phone service providers share your information, you would have to be an imbecile to share information you are not comfortable with being known to any corporation these days.

Other technologies can't read your response to images. The Rift does. And now Facebook owns that information. Good try though

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

xD

Kotaku "Internet Reacts to Facebook Buying Oculus" 

http://kotaku.com/the-internet-reacts-to-facebook-buying-oculus-rift-1551579758

SoE (which he mentions) is Sony.

Also, Sony's VR is looking to be only on the PS4, part of why people are so upset about today's announcement.

Also, how is Microsoft or Sony any better morally than Facebook?  Microsoft was one of the first people to ever comply with the NSA, without a fight or a word of protest.

If Sony can make money, you really think they'd stop with PS4?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115
    I'll wait for the implants, thanks!

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!