Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls – Finally the Game D3 Was Meant to Be

Comments

• Seems like MMORPG should have learned from D3,It's too early to post an unbiased review. The game should be rated once the reviewer has had time to farm, once the game has been played through at least once, once we see how things will play out. This should have been a "first look."

I'm not seeing this as an 8.5, but time will tell.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Having a BLAST with the ROS xpac. We actually ran into a few bugs (stuck mob, unreachable loot, and a Boss that did a jig while we smashed him). None of that really mattered though, the graphics rock, the story is interesting, new mobs kick ass, and the MUSIC IS EXCELLENT. That soundtrack had me forking out another $10 to get it. So... yea... DAMN YOU BLIZZARD for making products that cost money and I appreciate, and I wanna play, and ... enjoy... damn you... blizzard.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by sportsfan

Originally posted by SzczepanX

Originally posted by Lobotomist

The expansion is to high priced for esentially not much new content. Its almost price of full game...

As if it matters. $40 for potentially hundreds hours of gameplay is nowadays almost free.

If 40 bucks is the only valid argument against a game you'll play for hundreds of hours in the best combat (even adaptable) experience ever, you simply know this is a winner.

It's actually 3 - 4 hours new gameplay, while rest is the same old grind of d3, do acts over and over again, I dont see where you can say grinding same content is potentially gameplaytime.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by Deleted User

this review seems incredibly biased. ROS came out today and you give it a 10/10 on value and 9.5/10 on longevity. Even if you played the closed beta how can you possibly give something a value grade on a day of play and longevity grade when there is no possible way you've done any legitimate farming.

did you beat it? this has to be the worst ending to a game i've ever seen.

The loot/Ah trading etc.... really should have left that at 5/10 since half the people loved trading the other half didn't.

while i do agree that paragon, class builds and loot recieved overall updates. It still stands that nephalem rifts are incredibly unrewarding and the mystic has a fine print to it on your re-rolls. Adventure mode is a gamble too. I am not saying i dislike adventure mode but there really needs to be a lot more 'time' invested to see how rewarding it feels. Remember almost all the big name streamers quit this game less than a month into playing it.

socialization is more forced on players now than ever with boa (cept in game in party) .

longevity...9/10. This is the first update to the game. It basically took out features , added features that were promised from the beginning and gave you 1 act and 1 class that is already beaten. How did you possibly come up with that type of score for longevity? Rating it on content not yet in the game like PvP and ladders. Also, the interview with lead designer said they are still "talking about how to add pvp". "we'd like to add x feature or x feature is coming soon" is not the same "x  feature is in the game".

i enjoy some of your reviews here, but sometimes these huge titles you review seem like you were paid to prmote it. Seeing all the ROS on the site, i can see how that may be the case. Just asking for a little more objectivity in your "official review"

frome lead producer alex mayberry

"PvP, if we do it, we’d have to go all in. That’s why it’s not in Reaper. But we’ll continue to look at it and, if we find a good solution, we’ll start down that road. Right now it’s sitting there on hold."

I wonder if it has anything to do with the advertising I'm currently seeing on the site?

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by Colt47

Does it still play online even when you are playing single player?  If it does than it's still a no sale for me.  

This.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    That grind as you call it is exactly what makes d3 awesome. As for price, expansions were £20 20 years ago, salary inflation and increasing complexity is why expansions cost what they do. £40 for the reboot of a game tha gives me undoubtably a couple hundred hours gameplay is a bargain (the cost of a meal out)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

That grind as you call it is exactly what makes d3 awesome. As for price, expansions were £20 20 years ago, salary inflation and increasing complexity is why expansions cost what they do. £40 for the reboot of a game tha gives me undoubtably a couple hundred hours gameplay is a bargain (the cost of a meal out)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Blizzard games receive the best post sale support in the entire freakin gaming industry. DIablo 3 received a LOT of patches for free. So will most likely RoS.

Btw guys do you remember that game....hmmm....Torchlight 2? That died like a month after it was released?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I have not played D3, but I do agree that paying $40 for what basically should of been in the game in the 1st place is ridiculous, I don't find $40 to be a lot of money, and for a good game, I am willing to pay good money and a sub, I am not a cheap ass.

But I don't believe in having to pay multi million dollar companies money for them fixing a broken product. 

This to me seems more like DLC, should of been more around $10-15.

With all of Blizzards $$$ I feel so much more effort should of been put into D3 both at release and in the 2 years they have been fixing it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Damedius
    Originally posted by Deleted User

this review seems incredibly biased. ROS came out today and you give it a 10/10 on value and 9.5/10 on longevity. Even if you played the closed beta how can you possibly give something a value grade on a day of play and longevity grade when there is no possible way you've done any legitimate farming.

did you beat it? this has to be the worst ending to a game i've ever seen.

The loot/Ah trading etc.... really should have left that at 5/10 since half the people loved trading the other half didn't.

while i do agree that paragon, class builds and loot recieved overall updates. It still stands that nephalem rifts are incredibly unrewarding and the mystic has a fine print to it on your re-rolls. Adventure mode is a gamble too. I am not saying i dislike adventure mode but there really needs to be a lot more 'time' invested to see how rewarding it feels. Remember almost all the big name streamers quit this game less than a month into playing it.

socialization is more forced on players now than ever with boa (cept in game in party) .

longevity...9/10. This is the first update to the game. It basically took out features , added features that were promised from the beginning and gave you 1 act and 1 class that is already beaten. How did you possibly come up with that type of score for longevity? Rating it on content not yet in the game like PvP and ladders. Also, the interview with lead designer said they are still "talking about how to add pvp". "we'd like to add x feature or x feature is coming soon" is not the same "x  feature is in the game".

i enjoy some of your reviews here, but sometimes these huge titles you review seem like you were paid to prmote it. Seeing all the ROS on the site, i can see how that may be the case. Just asking for a little more objectivity in your "official review"

frome lead producer alex mayberry

"PvP, if we do it, we’d have to go all in. That’s why it’s not in Reaper. But we’ll continue to look at it and, if we find a good solution, we’ll start down that road. Right now it’s sitting there on hold."

I wonder if it has anything to do with the advertising I'm currently seeing on the site?

She genuinely seems to love the game pre-RoS.  But that bias means someone else should probably review it.

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Even without RoS, the new Loot 2.0 breathes some much needed fresh air into this game. Its a fun new system that adds a lot of game hours without much frustration. And a $40 upgrade to a new class, act, and game mode seems worth it to me. 
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Nothing New on this site unfortunately. Anything new that comes out People gripe and complain. Maybe I should also hand out the milk and cookies with the people above, along with the ice cream.

Personally I don't care about reviews, as the only review that matters is mine. I'm personally having fun with the game. I'm happy with the changes I'm seeing in the game.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I play D3 fairly regularly.  I will not be buying the expansion any time soon.  For me the cost is simply too much for what your getting.   I will wait for it to come down in price, then purchase it.   For me, I could put $40 to much better use and get a newer game which has just had its price slashed or put it to a brand new game.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

dude chill the fuck out on the post button, three god damn times you posted the same message

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

Originally posted by Colt47

Does it still play online even when you are playing single player?  If it does than it's still a no sale for me.  

This.

because you're totally not online 24/7 as it is. or are you just one of those kiddies who want their precious easy-to-configure maphacks in offline mode?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Tried it, and it still has nothing on PoE. Floaty combat, dull loot, bad pacing, BOA-items, simplistic skill system, cooldown, gear-check abilities on monsters, little to no variation.

A good game, a bad ARPG, and an unworthy successor to D2.
  • YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Tried it, and it still has nothing on PoE. Floaty combat, dull loot, bad pacing, BOA-items, simplistic skill system, cooldown, gear-check abilities on monsters, little to no variation.

A good game, a bad ARPG, and an unworthy successor to D2.
  • FaidianFaidian Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Margrave

So I basically get to buy it again to get the gameplay experience I should have gotten with my initial purchase.

Yeah.... no thanks.

This is exactly what I thought when I read this.  Why should we have to pay for it again?  Why can't the ones that at very least pre-ordered the game get at very least some sort of discount *shrug* It just feels a little like an "Assume the position" situation.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Well, the comments about the Crusader class are very misguided. The Monk is one of the top performing characters now and the barb Is considered significantly better than the Crusader.

In fact, the Crusader needs a serious buff. The class just can't handle being in the middle of large groups of enemies and the steed charge escape skill is useless because of it's long cooldown. It's cool and all, but useless. All it's cooldowns are too long. Compare the Laws to a Monks mantras.. Laws have a 45 second cooldown and are similar in effect to mantras.. useless.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

So question.

How were you able to level a crusader to 70? As well as, finish the game on a pre existing 60? Run some torment setting for a bit? When other reviewers, wait to do everything, before reviewing a game?

It makes sense a new class, would indeed need to be tried out at level 70, because it adds an important aspect to the expansion

Pretty sad really. You didn't even play the game as a whole, and then cough up a review, like a random poster in the forums. You got paid for this? 

I guess I just expect too much professionalism.

"What tastes like purple?"

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

The expansion is to high priced for esentially not much new content. Its almost price of full game...

As if it matters. $40 for potentially hundreds hours of gameplay is nowadays almost free.

This is simply not true.

I wont list the games that cost below 40$ that you can play for hundreds of hours. Because this list will take infinity to complete.

I will also not list AAA expansions that cost below 40$ (in fact I dont know for any expansion that costs 40$)

The point is that D3 is much better game now. Its fun. But you dont really need ROS to enjoy it (for another hundreds of hours)

ROS itself asks price of full game , but only brings one new area, one new class and one new game mode that reuses old maps and assets.

So, its cool expansion - but it should be priced 20$ - and even that is only because of credit and respect for Blizzard.

Blizzard's expansion price point is $40.00 it has been this way since WOW was released.  D2 expansion was $30.00 and the game and the original was also only $50.00, while the CE was $100.00.

To others comparing that Marvel Heroes, TL2, and PoE are similar, the only one that is decent is PoE and that is its tournament feature.  Other than that the rest are boring and mundane after about a day or two (same can be said for PoE normal non-tournament gameplay)  Obviously this is my opinion on the ARPG genre as of late.

F2P games are rarely enjoyable for hours on end without spending money (I spend 20 or so on PoE)

The other counter argument given is it should of been released this way.  Yet many people forget that D2 took almost 3 years as well to release up to 1.10 which made all the classes viable and gave a much more enjoyable experience.  I see D3 following the exact same timeline for success.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    So what exactly does this have to do with MMORPGs?
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by kilun

This is simply not true.

I wont list the games that cost below 40$ that you can play for hundreds of hours. Because this list will take infinity to complete.

I will also not list AAA expansions that cost below 40$ (in fact I dont know for any expansion that costs 40$)

The point is that D3 is much better game now. Its fun. But you dont really need ROS to enjoy it (for another hundreds of hours)

ROS itself asks price of full game , but only brings one new area, one new class and one new game mode that reuses old maps and assets.

So, its cool expansion - but it should be priced 20$ - and even that is only because of credit and respect for Blizzard.

Blizzard's expansion price point is $40.00 it has been this way since WOW was released.  D2 expansion was $30.00 and the game and the original was also only $50.00, while the CE was $100.00.

To others comparing that Marvel Heroes, TL2, and PoE are similar, the only one that is decent is PoE and that is its tournament feature.  Other than that the rest are boring and mundane after about a day or two (same can be said for PoE normal non-tournament gameplay)  Obviously this is my opinion on the ARPG genre as of late.

F2P games are rarely enjoyable for hours on end without spending money (I spend 20 or so on PoE)

The other counter argument given is it should of been released this way.  Yet many people forget that D2 took almost 3 years as well to release up to 1.10 which made all the classes viable and gave a much more enjoyable experience.  I see D3 following the exact same timeline for success.

I disagree about PoE.  PoE's killer feature for me is the skill tree.  I look forward to every skill point and the planning and sacrifice make it interesting, unlike the D3 toggles which are *yawn*.  PoE is the best ARPG I have played in a long time.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Originally posted by jbombard

Originally posted by kilun

This is simply not true.

I disagree about PoE.  PoE's killer feature for me is the skill tree.  I look forward to every skill point and the planning and sacrifice make it interesting, unlike the D3 toggles which are *yawn*.  PoE is the best ARPG I have played in a long time.

Though not full "trees", D3 is no longer only about "toggles" You do indeed have skillpoints now. Did you not read the article that you are posting comments on?