Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell To TESO

Comments

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by Cougan
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by Cougan

I thought it would be about addons before I even read it. I wasn't surprised.

Surely people dont take every change as the final product, I'm sure more API access will be given back to the players in time.

Yes, in time...API access in time. EU servers in time. Bugs in time. Imperial race in time. Combat animations in time. Adventure Zones in time.

Can we pls have something NOW?

The game is not unplayable with minimum amount of API, only in the minds of some people. There is no reason to have it all NOW lol

I m not mentioning only API, but many more core features.

Can i also pay them in time? Why do they want me to pay box+sub NOW, when there is no reason (as you said) for them to deliver all features NOW?

Jesus...welcome to sixth grade.  How about it's launching NOW after 5 years of development?  I will also add there is not one single MMO to date that has included everything it ended up with at launch.  To believe it is even possible suggests you have a serious break from reality or just are not thinking much further than your tiny worldview. 

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I agree with the part about there being no vision for the game. It started as an mmo on the pc. Then consoles were added and it became more "single player Skyrim".

The base ui is crap for any modern mmo, This isn't a single-player game and its not skyrim online.

What wrong with just offering people choices in the base ui? Compass or min-map? Nameplates or not? How many quests would you like displayed? Do you want your buffs/debuffs visible? Would you like the level and other information shown in your group window?

How about if you don't want people watching casting bars then make good animations that clearly show what's going on, so people can do more than just guess?

I'll be playing the game on Sunday, but to say eso doesn't have issues, big issues that will need to be addressed is just wishful thinking.

• Doriangray1Doriangray1 Member Posts: 53
    Drama Drama Dramaaaaa...

Rubber duck is incapable of hate.

" The extinction of Rubber Ducks will bring forth the end of our days. "

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

I agree with the part about there being no vision for the game. It started as an mmo on the pc. Then consoles were added and it became more "single player Skyrim".

The base ui is crap for any modern mmo, This isn't a single-player game and its not skyrim online.

What wrong with just offering people choices in the base ui? Compass or min-map? Nameplates or not? How many quests would you like displayed? Do you want your buffs/debuffs visible? Would you like the level and other information shown in your group window?

How about if you don't want people watching casting bars then make good animations that clearly show what's going on, so people can do more than just guess?

I'll be playing the game on Sunday, but to say eso doesn't have issues, big issues that will need to be addressed is just wishful thinking.

A lot of the stuff you're asking about there are add-ons for.  Just limited on what you see from other people and buffs that last less than 30 seconds.

But yes.  They have a lot of stuff they need to work on.  The game breaking quest bugs are pretty significant, but they say they've located the problems with that and are addressing those issues.  We'll have to wait and see if they get that done before launch.  Hopefully much of that stuff like spawn/phasing issues get resolved.  I'm not holding my breath though and preparing for the worst.  lol I've experienced some pretty craptastic launches though, so the bar is pretty low for ESO to REALLY screw up in my mind.  We'll see in under a week.  :)

• Sir_CroweSir_Crowe Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by watchawatcha
    Originally posted by Sir_Crowe
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by klash2def

please post more "why i quit game x" essays because nobody cares. SMH. anyone care to know why i quit wow??  ..no?

seriously mods please lock thread. pointless thread is pointless. 

Right, because it's very important in opinion forums to silence opinions that don't line up with your own. In case you haven't actually read the OP, I'll summarize.

The article was written by a blogger for HIS blog where he has HIS following and HIS audience where people following him might actually care since they'd been following him for months. and for him to simply disappear would in fact raise some questions. In spite of the fact that you say nobody cares, there are actually some that do. They are the ones who follow his blog and that is exactly who the blogger addressed. In that sense, he actually owes it to his audience to explain his actions.

He didn't chose to have his blog linked to this site where he has been crucified for posting his goodbye piece here.

If his opinion was consistent and made sense, guess he wouldn't be crucified.  But he did post this on Tamriel Foundry as well.  Which is basically the defacto ESO forums.  That will thankfully change come launch, as official forums will open up and the rest of the community will have another main option to discuss the game.

Then I can understand him being torn apart over there for the reasons and inconsistencies he posted. But still, here, it's not about the inconsistencies, it's about the fact that he posted a "Dear John". His blog was posted by a 3rd party. In this thread, on this forum, we don't have the right to judge THIS post. The link is to HIS audience, not ours. He's being judged for OPing here. He did not.

^^^ exactly even after he showed up people still tried acting as if he cared what they thought about his post after it seems he didn't even know it was here ( someone must have told him , thank god , so he could come defend himself). Played with the dude in beta we stood around and he answered several of my questions as-well as a random dudes for (almost a good 30 mins) but by peoples post you would think he some stuck up prick which isn't the case at all .

@Geezer He can't be torn up there.  It's not allowed on Tamriel Foundry.  Atropros specifically commented in that thread about not saying anything to the guy for his 'I Quit' thread in a negative way.  Only positive atta boy messages are needed to thank him for his hard work and service for their website.  

@Sir Now from your personal experience with the guy, that's the whole point.  He was VERY helpful a month ago and supportive of the game.  As was most of the other ER and friends towards the game.  Many changed their opinion (while making threats to ZoS during the AMA) when their own mod developed by their leader Atropos (important to point out that no one else worked on the thing) was nerfed for giving out too much information that would then require that add-on or ones like it to be on a level playing field.  

The reason everyone is 'attacking' him here has to do with his reaction and trying to act like other reasons were why he made an I quit blog.  It was not.  It's obvious why he did it.  Now the person whom started this thread had their own motivations for bringing it to this forum, but the fact remains you post something and advertise it (which he did on the Foundry) people will respond.  The reason some are using this thread instead probably has more to do with the aforementioned Atropos 'don't say anything bad about my friend' post over on his site.  MMORPG, thankfully, isn't controlled by them and therefore people's true feelings about the crap that went down can be vented.  If you don't like it, you can always ignore it.  Honestly I haven't seen too much personal attacks on him.  I think his actions and by proxy him was an immature way of handling things, but that's my personal opinion.  I think they had a great opportunity to really capitalize on their position in the market with this game.  I think they and unfortunately the site itself, has taken a serious hit because of it.  Which is a damn shame because the site is really well done.  Probably one of the best fan sites I had ever seen.  So if you wonder why it matters to others outside of his fanboys, I respond to you that there are plenty that found use from the site and appreciated it without drinking the kool-aid. 

o  believe me i know all about 180's when it comes to games esp eso because i did one as well lol but my quote under my name says it all i suppose, tbh this whole topic is w/e to me i only stated my positive's of the guy because this site has to many trolls that feed off each other and i didn't feel as if a innocent person ( from my knowledge ) should go through that.

please post more "why i quit game x" essays because nobody cares. SMH. anyone care to know why i quit wow??  ..no?

Right, because it's very important in opinion forums to silence opinions that don't line up with your own. In case you haven't actually read the OP, I'll summarize.

The article was written by a blogger for HIS blog where he has HIS following and HIS audience where people following him might actually care since they'd been following him for months. and for him to simply disappear would in fact raise some questions. In spite of the fact that you say nobody cares, there are actually some that do. They are the ones who follow his blog and that is exactly who the blogger addressed. In that sense, he actually owes it to his audience to explain his actions.

He didn't chose to have his blog linked to this site where he has been crucified for posting his goodbye piece here.

If his opinion was consistent and made sense, guess he wouldn't be crucified.  But he did post this on Tamriel Foundry as well.  Which is basically the defacto ESO forums.  That will thankfully change come launch, as official forums will open up and the rest of the community will have another main option to discuss the game.

Then I can understand him being torn apart over there for the reasons and inconsistencies he posted. But still, here, it's not about the inconsistencies, it's about the fact that he posted a "Dear John". His blog was posted by a 3rd party. In this thread, on this forum, we don't have the right to judge THIS post. The link is to HIS audience, not ours. He's being judged for OPing here. He did not.

^^^ exactly even after he showed up people still tried acting as if he cared what they thought about his post after it seems he didn't even know it was here ( someone must have told him , thank god , so he could come defend himself). Played with the dude in beta we stood around and he answered several of my questions as-well as a random dudes for (almost a good 30 mins) but by peoples post you would think he some stuck up prick which isn't the case at all .

@Geezer He can't be torn up there.  It's not allowed on Tamriel Foundry.  Atropros specifically commented in that thread about not saying anything to the guy for his 'I Quit' thread in a negative way.  Only positive atta boy messages are needed to thank him for his hard work and service for their website.  

@Sir Now from your personal experience with the guy, that's the whole point.  He was VERY helpful a month ago and supportive of the game.  As was most of the other ER and friends towards the game.  Many changed their opinion (while making threats to ZoS during the AMA) when their own mod developed by their leader Atropos (important to point out that no one else worked on the thing) was nerfed for giving out too much information that would then require that add-on or ones like it to be on a level playing field.  

The reason everyone is 'attacking' him here has to do with his reaction and trying to act like other reasons were why he made an I quit blog.  It was not.  It's obvious why he did it.  Now the person whom started this thread had their own motivations for bringing it to this forum, but the fact remains you post something and advertise it (which he did on the Foundry) people will respond.  The reason some are using this thread instead probably has more to do with the aforementioned Atropos 'don't say anything bad about my friend' post over on his site.  MMORPG, thankfully, isn't controlled by them and therefore people's true feelings about the crap that went down can be vented.  If you don't like it, you can always ignore it.  Honestly I haven't seen too much personal attacks on him.  I think his actions and by proxy him was an immature way of handling things, but that's my personal opinion.  I think they had a great opportunity to really capitalize on their position in the market with this game.  I think they and unfortunately the site itself, has taken a serious hit because of it.  Which is a damn shame because the site is really well done.  Probably one of the best fan sites I had ever seen.  So if you wonder why it matters to others outside of his fanboys, I respond to you that there are plenty that found use from the site and appreciated it without drinking the kool-aid. 

o  believe me i know all about 180's when it comes to games esp eso because i did one as well lol but my quote under my name says it all i suppose, tbh this whole topic is w/e to me i only stated my positive's of the guy because this site has to many trolls that feed off each other and i didn't feel as if a innocent person ( from my knowledge ) should go through that.

I assure you from his strong opinions on Foundry posts, he's not innocent.  That doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The other side of this coin, is that all the posts saying "Nobody cares" are very presumptuous. The fact is, I and people like me, who are still on the fence about this game do want to know. I do want to hear why someone is quitting after extensive time in the game.

The guy has more experience in the game than most posters here on these threads. So yeah, I can at least believe he knows what he's talking about. Sure, I don't have to agree with all his opinions, but I can at least believe they aren't half assumptions made to fill in the gaps.

If someone has less than a month, their opinion is dismissed because they don't have enough experience to say things. Well, that may be true. But then to dismiss an opinion because he spent too much time in the game? Really? That makes no sense. I played WoW for years and left because the game changed from what it once was. Not because I got burned out on it. This isn't some MMO post release that changes slowly or at expansion. It's a game in Beta, changes come around alomst daily. So one day you are playing a game that you want to play, and the next, there is a change that is made that is a deal breaker. That's not burn out. that's not "he had fune and he's done" That's the game "broke" at least from that person's point of view.

But here, it's just easier to say he's burned out or that he's in some way wrong or lying rather than acknowledge that one day, for him, the game suddenly became something he didn't want to play anymore due to developmental decisions and that there might actually be something wrong here.

I can't wait to see how many people who are slamming this guy today will be slamming the game come May.

Anyway. I hope the game is this good. Because then, I'll buy it. But as it is now, I think there is sufficient doubt to at least keep it on my watch list.

The other side of this coin, is that all the posts saying "Nobody cares" are very presumptuous. The fact is, I and people like me, who are still on the fence about this game do want to know. I do want to hear why someone is quitting after extensive time in the game.

The guy has more experience in the game than most posters here on these threads. So yeah, I can at least believe he knows what he's talking about. Sure, I don't have to agree with all his opinions, but I can at least believe they aren't half assumptions made to fill in the gaps.

If someone has less than a month, their opinion is dismissed because they don't have enough experience to say things. Well, that may be true. But then to dismiss an opinion because he spent too much time in the game? Really? That makes no sense. I played WoW for years and left because the game changed from what it once was. Not because I got burned out on it. This isn't some MMO post release that changes slowly or at expansion. It's a game in Beta, changes come around alomst daily. So one day you are playing a game that you want to play, and the next, there is a change that is made that is a deal breaker. That's not burn out. that's not "he had fune and he's done" That's the game "broke" at least from that person's point of view.

But here, it's just easier to say he's burned out or that he's in some way wrong or lying rather than acknowledge that one day, for him, the game suddenly became something he didn't want to play anymore due to developmental decisions and that there might actually be something wrong here.

I can't wait to see how many people who are slamming this guy today will be slamming the game come May.

Anyway. I hope the game is this good. Because then, I'll buy it. But as it is now, I think there is sufficient doubt to at least keep it on my watch list.

Yeah, I see your point and think it's absolutely valid.  The nobody cares comments I wasn't addressing and in fact didn't even think of those posts when responding to you.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    It is high profile posts like the linked article as well as my own play testing that gives me great confidence in being able to put my money where my mouth is and forgo giving the company subscription money when all evidence points the game will go F2P soon after launch.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    It is high profile posts like the linked article as well as my own play testing that gives me great confidence in being able to put my money where my mouth is and forgo giving the company subscription money when all evidence points the game will go F2P soon after launch.

And I'm willing to bet the cost of a digital Imperial edition plus a few months sub that your wrong and I'll get enough enjoyment during that time to make the cost worth it.

There are many reasons not to want to play this game at launch but because you think it's going to go F2P in a few months to me seems like a pretty lame one.

• carpalcarpal Member UncommonPosts: 99

I didn't find very much content in that farewell blog, except for a beta kiddie didn't get the UI he wanted, and now the whole dang evil corporation just wants your money.

Guess what, that IS all it is ever about with mainstream MMOs.   Of course it will go free-to-play.  But first they will take 5 million people's money @ 50 bucks a pop.   It is what it is.  Hopefully the game will give me at least a summer of entertainment.

I didn't see one thing in that farewell blog that makes me not want to play.   

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

In most cases games that start out sub and go to f2p don't have a high fan base to start out with. Games like FFXIV:ARR have a huge fan base and are niche games. The fans aren't going anywhere so they will pay a subscription price to keep playing and having content added. With ESO the same set of rules apply. The game has so many fans that even after the first month and the curious players quit, there will be thousands left and that niche of people will pay to keep on playing. No, this game will not go f2p, there is no need.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Sir_CroweSir_Crowe Member Posts: 20

I assure you from his strong opinions on Foundry posts, he's not innocent.  That doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

yep, lol like i stated that comment was from my knowledge of him XD but people see people in different lights i suppose. yea i don't think he is a bad guy .

• TechnohicTechnohic Member Posts: 148

After 9 months of full access playing it or something like that, maybe it is possible to walk away from the game because you are not on board with the developers vision; but for me who just got to play it for a few betas and could not get my fill?  I'll say concerns noted but no way in hell am I missing out on this!

There is a lot to be said about something still being new and fresh to you compared to having had your fill of it.  Like I have said about SWTOR at times.  "I envy people who are just starting for the first time and everything is new to them."  I miss that feeling there.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Originally posted by udon

And I'm willing to bet the cost of a digital Imperial edition plus a few months sub that your wrong and I'll get enough enjoyment during that time to make the cost worth it.

There are many reasons not to want to play this game at launch but because you think it's going to go F2P in a few months to me seems like a pretty lame one.

Its bizarre that people think the game would go F2P a few months after launch. It will be out on consoles in June, are they suddenly going to start giving the boxed copies out for free? Or PC will be the only one with free to play and everyone else has to pay for the box (very unlikely and unfair)? 

The game could possiblly go B2P but I doubt that would sell many more boxes than the initiial sub model anyway since a console gamer would see the free month as more than enough time. I think the reason they went for a cash shop in place is so that they dont have to go F2P and will rely on the subs same as FF14 + possible cash shop additions.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Hmmmm...

I wonder how the other 5000 fulltime closed-beta testers feel about the game at this point ?

I haven't heard any rumours about mass demonstrations, petitions or organised boycots of the game...

But then again, "it's the squeaky wheel that get's the grease", as the saying goes...

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Hmmmm...

I wonder how the other 5000 fulltime closed-beta testers feel about the game at this point ?

I haven't heard any rumours about mass demonstrations, petitions or organised boycots of the game...

But then again, "it's the squeaky wheel that get's the grease", as the saying goes...

I did read that only a small amount of players are taking part in the closed long term beta, someone of the beta testers wrote and as far I remember,  only 100-200 players are lvl 50+

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by JemAs666
    lol thanks for sharing.  I can sleep tonight knowing this one person isn't playing.  I mean seriously this is a human being not unlike the other human beings.  This person isn't anyone special and I could care less if they play or not. I am glad they think so highly of themselves that them not playing makes any difference.

Did you even read the article? The fact that the guy wont be playing the game is not interesting, the reasons for him not doing so, is.

You really found them interesting?  His main point for quitting is because they disabled add-ons that had become mandatory for PvP.  I think for most people that would be considered a step in the right direction not a reason to ragequit.

I didn't read that in the blog, as the only reason he quit. That is what other people, who are upset with him, is misconstruing his blog to say to try and discredit him.

As a matter of fact I found a lot of interesting points. Such as the devs trying to please both single player Elder Scroll fans and MMO fans and end up with something half-baked in between. I mean the fact that Elder Scrolls single player games are more sandbox and ESO is almost 100% ThemePark, speak volumes about the game.

Also it seems this game has tons of bugs, which cannot bode well just two weeks before launch.

All in all I found the blog interesting but I was not planning to play it and still wont. Elder Scrolls should have been made a sandbox MMO. Anyone who knows anything about Elder Scroll games would know that.

But ZeniMax did not have the balls to go against the mainstream type of MMOs, which is ThemePark.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Elikal
    Sometimes I can hardly stand reading these threads. So full of venom and personal attacks. Bah. Kids...

To illustrate, but also to ask.....

Aren't you the one who deleted your account here, and swore up and down that you would never play SWTOR because you did not like what they were doing? I mean, that was drama queen central, are you sure you want to say "bah kids" when you pulled an epic drama stunt like that?

No offense intended, but really, before you start labeling other people, kinda pays to look at your own actions.

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    We will see him in game.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Isarii,

this is for you:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/408545/ZOS_PaulSage-FOLLOWUP-RECENT-CHANGES-TO-API.html

I hope Paul convinced you to come back. I mean that sincerely.

• massakremassakre Member UncommonPosts: 42
    The OP will be back for launch. Who spends THAT much time with the game to determine whether he will play it or not? If anything, he is just burnt out.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Passing on TESO ::check::Passing on Wildstar ::check::Playing a 20+ year old MuD instead ::check:: It's a pretty sad time when I'd rather pay a subscription to a non graphical MuD game then buy into the MMO crap coming out. Themepark MMO's are seriously overdone and hopefully ArcheAge and The Repopulation, among many other sandbox games coming out get here sooner than later.

a sad time for you maybe.

i won't touch any of those games you listed, to each their own.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by reeereee Originally posted by Yamota Originally posted by JemAs666 lol thanks for sharing.  I can sleep tonight knowing this one person isn't playing.  I mean seriously this is a human being not unlike the other human beings.  This person isn't anyone special and I could care less if they play or not. I am glad they think so highly of themselves that them not playing makes any difference.
    Did you even read the article? The fact that the guy wont be playing the game is not interesting, the reasons for him not doing so, is.
    You really found them interesting?  His main point for quitting is because they disabled add-ons that had become mandatory for PvP.  I think for most people that would be considered a step in the right direction not a reason to ragequit.
    I didn't read that in the blog, as the only reason he quit. That is what other people, who are upset with him, is misconstruing his blog to say to try and discredit him.

As a matter of fact I found a lot of interesting points. Such as the devs trying to please both single player Elder Scroll fans and MMO fans and end up with something half-baked in between. I mean the fact that Elder Scrolls single player games are more sandbox and ESO is almost 100% ThemePark, speak volumes about the game.

Also it seems this game has tons of bugs, which cannot bode well just two weeks before launch.

All in all I found the blog interesting but I was not planning to play it and still wont. Elder Scrolls should have been made a sandbox MMO. Anyone who knows anything about Elder Scroll games would know that.

But ZeniMax did not have the balls to go against the mainstream type of MMOs, which is ThemePark.

ES games are not sandbox's, they are all open world quest driven "themepark" style games, at least the last two installments were.

show me just one sandbox mmo that is quest driven like oblivion and skyrim.

oh and not once did he even hint that the issue is it isn't "sandbox" enough.

nope, IMO a ES mmo should definitely not be a sandbox game. then again, i know what a sandbox game actually is.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by baphamet

ES games are not sandbox's, they are all open world quest driven "themepark" style games, at least the last two installments were.

show me just one sandbox mmo that is quest driven like oblivion and skyrim.

oh and not once did he even hint that the issue is it isn't "sandbox" enough.

nope, IMO a ES mmo should definitely not be a sandbox game. then again, i know what a sandbox game actually is.

Theyre not quest driven, you dont even get points for 'quests' in ES. So how are they quest driven? Especially Skyrim.

You open up in a wagon and then see a story unfold. Granted its a little one sided but you get to see what is going on in the world. You then almost get your head chopped off by Imperials, the one sided part, but you can use your imagination and think it is a case of mistaken identity. Then you still get a chance to make a choice. A choice you dont even have to make if you dont want to. But once you get out of Helgen then you can do a few things, you can go any direction you want. You can go left, go right, explore some mines or caves. Do whatever you want to do. Hell you can run somewhere find a wagon and it will take you to any main city on the map. The fact that you can have both options of joining the Stormcloaks, or joining the Imperials simultaneously in your log pretty much makes it not a themepark game. You can do EVERYTHING in the game other than some faction related quests before you even make a choice as to which side to join. If you even make a choice.

What you want to outline as 'quests' are just story points. Collect something, talk to someone, go somewhere. No 'go kill x amount of this and comeback to me.'

ES games have a main story, and a bunch of underlying stories. There are no markers on peoples heads, there are not marks on a map (unless you highlight them). You have to interact with people all the time just to see if they have something to say to you. And sometimes they might have something to say after you have done something else. So you have to constantly talk to people at different times to see f you open up a new or different story line. Unless of course if you dont read a wiki or an outline or a walk through that tells you step by step everything there is to do in an area.

Themepark games take you by the hand, send you to a spot, usually a quest hub where you grab a bunch of starter quests that may or may not start chains that lead you to other quest hubs. They dont generally give you any choices, especially if each successive hub requires quests to be completed in a previous hub to open up quests there. Not the same as having a major/main story go along and following a chain of events. Although some themepark games do do it to some extent. Most themparks wont let you do anything small or large quests in an area before youre the right level or have finished a previous quest hub.

I dont think you know what sandbox is because by your definition a sandbox doesnt exist because any game where NPCs ask you to do something isnt sandbox. Sandbox in its purest definition is a game without restrictions to how a player progresses. You can advance your character anyway you see fit, exploring, crafting, 'quests', PvP, etc. And everything you gain goes into a main pool which you can then distribute how you see fit to advance your characters main 'form'. There are also no limitations on where someone can go or when they can go there. Something MMOs have a nearly impossible time doing unless theyre all completely phased and instanced to whatever level the character is.  But MMOs are built on levels which is the easiest way to show people their progression. Some games do try to make levels less meaningful but its what people have been trained to recognize. Some games dont have levels at all and are as close to 'sandbox' as you can get, but those games have always been niche at best because people have been trained, like I said to not understand anything beyond 'what level are you' in terms of how advanced they are in the game.

Either way ESO is much more themepark than sandbox simply because it ;has' to be because the developers have never made an MMO before and they dont want to gamble on making something people cant understand. So rather than making a cutting edge game they made a mish mash of other games trying to highlight the good points of them and hoping people would be fooled. A lot werent. Thats why this game, despite its hype, isnt getting the critical acclaim it should be getting from most people.