Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any game recommendations for a newb?

CritxJokerCritxJoker Member Posts: 7

Hi,

First of all I apologize in advance if this kind of post is not allowed (I'm new to this forum).

I've never played any mmorpg except WoW from level 1-10 in a trial a few years ago. I play League of Legends for years so I do have some basic knowledge about using skills with keyboard buttons but that's about it ;)

Now I'm really looking in playing a new game but whenever I play one I play it exclusively, I'm awful at managing multiple characters at the same time (regardless of what game it is) so I don't want to choose a game that is going to die soon so I will be forced to swap.

What I've heard/read good things about:

Archeage (not released yet in Europe)

Rift

Guild Wars 2

World of Warcraft

I do not know any people in real life who play these kind of games so it doesn't influence my choice. I'm a fan of the fantasy style like WoW in other games.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

Since you mentioned LoL and WoW..

Have you considered Diablo 3? They just released their expansion. Preorder items are still available as long as you order it/put in the code to your blizzard account by the 5 day period you'll get those goodies too!

It can be a very fun casual experience...and hard modes are just a few clicks away when you want a challenge. Solo-friendly but able to play with friends should they be around (or you make some in game) as well.

Can't afford Diablo 3 right now? PoE (Path of Exile) is pretty close in mechanics and it is F2P with cash shop goodies (all fluff items except expanded inventory space which, when on sale, you can max for $20)...PoE is worth checking out either way. My only big gripe about it is the story didn't pull me in like Diablo's. There are advertisements for their shops (mostly in chat) throughout the game but they are easily ignored. Despite being made by a very tiny development team it is very high quality.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Did you have a specific reason that you stopped playing the WoW trial?  Something you didn't like about it?
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • CritxJokerCritxJoker Member Posts: 7

I saw some friends playing Diablo 3 but it didn't really look like a huge open fantasy world like WoW does.. and I really like that. Same for Path of Exile.. I tried that out but it looked a little dark in my opinion.

I think I just stopped the WoW trial because I didn't have time to play back then. I would definately play WoW now if it was just released (and thus still incredibly popular in a few years) but I doubt that, with so many 'next gen' MMO's coming out (and I believe Blizzard is even making a new one, something with Titan)

I always aim to be the best at a game that I play, even if it takes me 5 years, but I won't be really satisfied if after 5 years I'm the best player out of 10.000 instead of 5.000.000, if you know what I mean.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

FFXIV may be a good option.  It has a lot of elements that are similar to WoW but is considered a next gen mmo.  It's graphics are way better than WoW.  It has great music, tons to do for someone just starting out.  It's getting a huge patch tomorrow.  The game can be played on PC or PS4.  

you said you don't like creating multiple characters.  Well, problem solved since FFXIV allows you to be ALL classes (including crafting and gathering) on a single character.  Change your primary weapon/tool and become that class, instantly.

It also depends on what type of content you like FFXIV is 90% PvE.   If you want an mmo better pvp, you may want to try GW2 or Wow instead.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by CritxJoker

I saw some friends playing Diablo 3 but it didn't really look like a huge open fantasy world like WoW does.. and I really like that. Same for Path of Exile.. I tried that out but it looked a little dark in my opinion.

I think I just stopped the WoW trial because I didn't have time to play back then. I would definately play WoW now if it was just released (and thus still incredibly popular in a few years) but I doubt that, with so many 'next gen' MMO's coming out (and I believe Blizzard is even making a new one, something with Titan)

I always aim to be the best at a game that I play, even if it takes me 5 years, but I won't be really satisfied if after 5 years I'm the best player out of 10.000 instead of 5.000.000, if you know what I mean.

This has got to be a troll...... There's no way someone knows about this site an not about WoW......

I see a glaring contradiction here.

You're a newbie and you are aiming to be one of the top players out of 5 million? Get a reality check with your goals and perhaps we can get somewhere.

World of Warcraft will certainly last another 5 years unless something truly ground breaking happens.

Might as well jump in now and get acquainted with the game as it is currently. If you are aiming to be one of 'the best' then prepare to do a lot od research and theory crafting to min-max your stats and dps/tankage/healage. Once the expansion rolls around, dive right into 90 with the boost and go onward good sir/ma'am/human-popsicle! 

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    if you want really new game, i think both upcoming AAA titles (Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online) are decent choices, otherwise i would proly recommend GW2 or FFXIV.
  • AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Age of conan, best MMO on the market.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Soooooo you want to be the best Easy Mode Mmo player after 5 years!?

Interesting....

messed up post.

Originally posted by ZizouX

FFXIV may be a good option.  It has a lot of elements that are similar to WoW but is considered a next gen mmo.  It's graphics are way better than WoW.  It has great music, tons to do for someone just starting out.  It's getting a huge patch tomorrow.  The game can be played on PC or PS4.  

you said you don't like creating multiple characters.  Well, problem solved since FFXIV allows you to be ALL classes (including crafting and gathering) on a single character.  Change your primary weapon/tool and become that class, instantly.

It also depends on what type of content you like FFXIV is 90% PvE.   If you want an mmo better pvp, you may want to try GW2 or Wow instead.

Thanks. I saw some things about it and it looked pretty cool. I did not really enjoy the old Final Fantasy games on PSX, will this matter at all?

Originally posted by Carnicide

This has got to be a troll...... There's no way someone knows about this site an not about WoW......

I inserted "mmorpg forum" in google.

Originally posted by General-Zod

Soooooo you want to be the best Easy Mode Mmo player after 5 years!?

Interesting....

I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't come here to brag or offend anyone, just saying my goals.

Originally posted by Aulliwyn

I see a glaring contradiction here.

You're a newbie and you are aiming to be one of the top players out of 5 million? Get a reality check with your goals and perhaps we can get somewhere.

World of Warcraft will certainly last another 5 years unless something truly ground breaking happens.

Might as well jump in now and get acquainted with the game as it is currently. If you are aiming to be one of 'the best' then prepare to do a lot od research and theory crafting to min-max your stats and dps/tankage/healage. Once the expansion rolls around, dive right into 90 with the boost and go onward good sir/ma'am/human-popsicle! 

I'm a newbie at mmo's, but I was also a newb at League when I started but am now ranked in the top 200 after 4 years of playing. This would not give me any satisfaction if there were only 1000 players total. I'm not doing it for glory or fame, I just like a good challenge. So I aim to the best of 5 million players in 5 years, not today or tomorrow. There for I would not start WoW because I don't really believe it will be so huge in 5 years. Views on youtube videos etc. already prove it's sort of dieing (don't get me wrong, it's still massive, just way smaller than before)

Everything currently live or on the horizon is still dwarfed by WoW's subscription base. Not defending WoW...I don't even play it anymore...going to be playing TESO...but even I know TESO is not a WoW killer..nor is Wildstar...nor will Archage be.

It will last another 5 years. 

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

If you're looking for an mmo, ESO might suit you. Very simple to get into, nothing complicated. 

Single player games? I heard Diablo 3 has been improved greatly.

My personal recommendation is Dark Souls 2, for new games at least. Elder Scrolls games are always great rpg's to build a character and spend tons of time in. 

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

If you didn't enjoy the previous Final Fantasies than you probably will not like FFXIV.  Final Fantasy XIV is like a gift to FF fans.  It has tons and tons of references to older FF games.  The world has monsters and characters taken directly from previous FFs.  The first 24 man raid is taken out of Final Fantasy III.  The story is designed like other FF console games.

With that said, the game is available on the PC right now SUPER CHEAP.  You buy it and get one month free before you have to pay the 13-15 dollar sub.  1 month is plenty of time to know whether you like or dislike the game.

Amazon has it for 29.99 digital download.    I think the value you will get out of it for the first free month is a steal!  My 2 cents.  I would also recommend Gw2.  Though I don't play it... the leveling experience was a lot of fun and definitely gives you your money's worth.

Yes..Wow is seeing a downturn...but so are all of the other 1m+ MMOs.

So...if it is still the top...and no MMORPG's on the horizon that can challenge this top place...why the concern that it won't last another 5 years?

By that logic, everything beneath it will not last 3 years.

Granted: World of Warcraft can get worse and worse instead of better...and those beneath can mature to become better games (I'm looking at you SWTOR :) )...Nothing is guaranteed. But if I were a betting gal, with your priorities...I know where I'd lay my chips.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

Op, since you're a "newb", as you say, i'd maybe recomend starting with a F2P mmo so you don't waste money and get dissapointed. I'd recomend Rift or SWTOR. Keep in mind Rift's questing isn't that great, but it does have dungeons, open world events, etc. Keep in mind there are other like AOC, etc.

If you're ok with dropping some money i'd say GW2 or TSW. GW2 is very easy to get into as a more fast paced combat than standart mmos. TSW'd combat isn't great, but if you like story, lore and "puzzle type quests", TSW as investigation missions which revolve around checking for clues and such.

If you're ok with subscription, ESO's good. If you've played TES games before, you'll note the similarities in general gameplay elements, but keep in mind, as said before, it's not "Skyrim online".

As for a game that dies soon, all those mmos have active playerbases right now, so you'll be good for the year at least.

If you want an mmo to dedicate yourself right off the bat, Archeage seems good because of the sandboxy features, but i'm personaly still waiting to see how it goes. Remember, it's open world pvp. Hope you find something you like. image

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    Elders scrolls online is going to release in a view days don't miss it.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

you seem to be a bit interested in WoW so you could give it another try it'll still be there long after you lose your interest in it i think^^ just be warned it's designed to be rushed to max level for it's endgame so it will be pretty expensive if you want to get all the expansions.

FFXIV is a good option if you want something newer.

Rift is a good option if you want the same type of gameplay for free.. though it's ugly as hell imo but  you get the idea of how these games work. 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

I've tried WoW again (different starting class) and it was decent but not great, I think killing monsters is pretty crappy and incredibly boring and it happens in almost every quest.

I've now installed ArcheAge and am happily surprised by the movements, and the size and beauty of the world is insane. I probably will stick to that for the coming years.

Thanks for all the replies!

• kokoshkakokoshka Member Posts: 7
    I think you should try diablo 3. I am playing it now and I am totally addicted :)

http://furg.net - Free online games!