Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: ARGs Are Back

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

For many the first time they ever heard about The Secret World it was thanks to an ARG. Funcom spent years leading up to TSW with a series of ARGs meant to engage, entertain, and sometimes terrify. After the launch sadly ARGs were all but abandoned, with only two since July of 2012. Now the alternate reality games are getting a bit of a boost. Last week, on the 14th a new ARG started, dealing with Division 66.

Read more of Shannon Doyle's The Secret World: ARGs are Back.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    wow!!! never heard of these!!!! im a huge TSW fan!...where how when???

tried looking for a link..
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

These were what got me into being so psyched for TSW to be released....

Then I played it. That fixed it.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    The last one took us days and had people running around some city in Canada looking for a park with a package.  Course, a lot of idiots giving bad info also delayed the resolution.  Soooo....
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

thanks for the heads up, OMG I love these ARGs, best thing ever

the End of World thing last year was mind boggling

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

If you dont want to get strange calls, just simply don't give your number :) I personally used a disposable mail address for it, and it still was great fun.

Haven't checked Division yet, I was busy last week - I know the whole purpose of it is to soak into the real life, but I rather just keep ARGs as the part of the game and only fiddling with them in my spare time :)  (but I had the luck during the last one to join the chat the right time at one of the puzzles, it was awesome)

Yep, a cosmetic robe (and maybe a ql5 talisman too?) I agree, it's not about the rewards, just the fun itself.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Pure win every time.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

TSW ARGs are da bomb. Just the best thing evar.

• stumpysezstumpysez Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I'm amazed that nowhere in this article, or in any of the comments on this article, is there even a single sentence description of what an ARG is.

EDIT:  Wait!  I found one sentence that used the term.  But I had to hunt like crazy.  Writing tip: good to start articles by laying out for the uninitiated what you're talking about!

• stumpysezstumpysez Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Wait!  I found it!  It was buried in a sentence near the end, and in one of the graphics posted.  Just as a friendly piece of constructive feedback, it's a good idea to start articles with a brief intro for any uninitiated readers!
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Great game despite zillion bugs at release ... but i just can not force myself to play past that silly 7 buttons limit. Just hate button mashers.

No worries, you can still enjoy the ARG without that 7 button limit :) all you need is you browser and your mind.

And a lot of other tools as well... based on the previous ones it's good if you have a picture, a video and a sound editing tool, sometimes Wolfram for math and physics, a good dictionary (but among the players there are usually folks from everywhere so everything gets translated pretty quickly), some coffee, etc.