Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is so great about the imperials?

SotoSoto Member UncommonPosts: 177
Are they a better race/class than others? Or is it for those with a little extra cash to blow to feel good about themselves?

the sword of no sword...

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    They have horses
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

There's nothing really special about them.  I bought it because I like Roman Mythos and how they look, and you can change armor into the Imperial Style.  I've always liked the Imperials for the art.  Other than that there's nothing special about them.  

I do wish they had a passive that you get more gold in your dealings, but the racials they have now are fine.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

They have the greatest raw hit point bonus.  They will live where others die.  At any rate it does make me slightly jealous as a player who likes to play tanks, but I wonder if going say breton as a tank and getting the extra magic resist might be better...

Actually I wonder why there isn't a perk that makes sprint use magicka instead of stamina.  That change would make things a lot easier for melee characters.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

The thing that makes them most special: Their style and demeanor. Imperials know the world is theirs.

That and they will make a good tank imo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    They are special because you have to pay extra for them!  More Expensive = More Better! of course!!!!
  • ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Soto
    Are they a better race/class than others? Or is it for those with a little extra cash to blow to feel good about themselves?

What makes them special? Two things;

1. Nostalgia for Skyrim and Oblivion
    2. Clever marketing.
    That's about it.
  • alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

They are the best for some builds but that is the same for almost any race... they are not OP if that is what you are asking.

And no i did not get the Imperial Edition so i`m not biased... i felt i`d rather earn the horse and will play a caster so their racials are useless to me.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Arndush

2. Clever marketing.
    That's about it.

And Morrowind.  Oblivion wasn't the first ES game to offer the race.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Best tank and melee PvP racials.
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Gravarg

There's nothing really special about them.  I bought it because I like Roman Mythos and how they look, and you can change armor into the Imperial Style.  I've always liked the Imperials for the art.  Other than that there's nothing special about them.  

I do wish they had a passive that you get more gold in your dealings, but the racials they have now are fine.

That's why I will be playing one. Plus the horse is a nice bonus.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Arndush

2. Clever marketing.
    That's about it.

And Morrowind.  Oblivion wasn't the first ES game to offer the race.

Hmm. Forgot about that. I haven't played Morrowind in over a decade.

• MirshaanMirshaan Member Posts: 2

Best thing about imperials: 100 gold horse.

Next cheapest horse is 17,500 gold... HUGE difference.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by evilastro

Care to explain why you think that? I know they're decent racials from a tanking perspective, but I thought Redguard and Nord were considered statistically "better" since they employ racial bonuses that aren't as easily affected by soft caps. Also, for melee PvP, I've read that Orc comes out better thanks to their sprinting racials and health regen.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Its one of the more popular races. One that many many players probably rolled in Skyrim or one of the other ES games. Not sure if this holds true for ESO but theyre the go to human race (IMO) for a more physical class. Bretons are more inclined to magic while Imperials arent the best of the best but theyre still better than Bretons for melee. Sure, there are Redguards, but they have a very particular look to them which a lot of players prefer not to play as (you might even say, a 'minority' of players choose Redguard  for human. Thats my  thoughts on it anyway ... id have probably rolled Khajit anyway, maybe even Wood Elf, though Imperial wouldve been a close third depending on what the gear looks like.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I really love how the characters look. No, not so much the armor, the faces have a beautiful "italian" look. They really created a good looking race here. ^^ But of course the Roman style armor are cool, too.

Technically the tanking racial skills make them the best tanks later on I presume, but then I never was a min-maxxer and care little about these things.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

It's obvious, they are part of "The Club", and everyone else who isn't is jealous. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I don't know about that.  Both Nords and Orc's are pretty strong to.  I'm not sure at 50++ those bonuses are going to matter much regardless.

• JuukBawxJuukBawx Member UncommonPosts: 5

Due to Imperials turning traitor to Cyrodil and what not storywise, they will be few and far between, thus being locked behind a pay wall or whatever, they will not be as common of a race.

Thats my understanding.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Kyleran

It's obvious, they are part of "The Club", and everyone else who isn't is jealous. image

Dam You stole my thunder .....

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86

The racial stats doesn't give any advantage. Zenimax copy/pasted the Breton's face and used it for Imperials. Nothing special there. I would say the imperial horse is the unique item on the IE that stands out. And the imperial armor crafting is something that non IE players will be able to get at some point during their adventures.

Playing an imperial with one-handed/shield increases experience gain with the one-handed/shield skill line by 15%. But every race has its own 15% boost from specific weapons. However I think Zenimax screwed up the Argonians.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by udon

I don't know about that.  Both Nords and Orc's are pretty strong to.  I'm not sure at 50++ those bonuses are going to matter much regardless.

I would also give honorable mention to Redguards. And the Argonian extra healing is pretty nifty for tanks, even if I think their weapon choice line is wacky.

Imperials actually don't look like Bretons, they definitely have a 'harder' and more, as someone else said, Italic look to them. Narrower base faces, sharper features. If they copy pasted anything, it's Redguard. Red Diamond is just health instead of stamina. Both had One Handed Shield line experience, and health instead of max stamina.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by MeridiasBeacon

The racial stats doesn't give any advantage. Zenimax copy/pasted the Breton's face and used it for Imperials. Nothing special there. I would say the imperial horse is the unique item on the IE that stands out. And the imperial armor crafting is something that non IE players will be able to get at some point during their adventures.

Playing an imperial with one-handed/shield increases experience gain with the one-handed/shield skill line by 15%. But every race has its own 15% boost from specific weapons. However I think Zenimax screwed up the Argonians.

Eh? They don't even remotely look the same, the Bretons and Imperials! It's like saying Swedish and Spanish look the same, just because both are white dudes. The facial details and the skin tones are quite different.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Imperials just look classy ...they have style and grace
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    They're just greener...on the other side.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Elikal

Eh? They don't even remotely look the same, the Bretons and Imperials! It's like saying Swedish and Spanish look the same, just because both are white dudes. The facial details and the skin tones are quite different.

The skin tones might be slightly different.  Outside of skin color range, not only do the Bretons and Imps appear to be identical, so do the Redguards and Nords.  One human race, with four different names and very slightly different skin color range, as far as the cosmetic options go.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.