Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There will never be another GW2

coventryhagdogcoventryhagdog Member Posts: 85

I mean that in the best way possible.

Financially, it has been anything but stellar. Economically it has been a loss.

The amazing amount of detail in this game is unsurpassed by anything, even some of the older games that have set precedents. 

As somebody who had been burnt out on WoW and every other derivative product under the sun I wasn't expecting anything and got more than a thousand hours out of this game.

What exactly do I mean? Graphical detail. Platforming elements. Size of game world, content, class diversity. The events that were delivered free of charge I took for granted. The awesome soundtrack (seriously? nobody appreciates the quality of the music?). The easter eggs strewn about the world...

If this game had released 10 years before it had, it would have received "one of the best games ever made" award, but.. it didn't.

Even though it did everything perfectly and on top of everything added something the MMO genre really needed like Platforming (and to a FAR lesser degree), Puzzle elements, it hasn't received its just deserts and has in recent time sort of gone the tried route of adding more incentives for people to spend money (yay ascended).

To summarize the above: There will not be another game of the same quality as GW2 that delivered the same amount of content updates without an initial sub.

[mod edit]

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Popcorn worthy thread, looking forward to the results.

Needless to say I would disagree with a number of your points, but others will do a far better job than I.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Popcorn worthy thread, looking forward to the results.

Needless to say I would disagree with a number of your points, but others will do a far better job than I.

It really is. I'm not even going to touch this one either lol.

Sometimes it's better to just let people be happy if they are happy.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I would be very confused if there was

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    actually, it bored me to tears. Nice graphics, but somehow very shallow.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Lol Ky that is a worthy I am too lazy to reply in detail post. I agree there are others more invested that will. Gaia will be here soon.

Chamber of Chains
  • st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by coventryhagdog

You have absolutely no measurables to prove your (bad) theory.  If they were losing money on it they would pull the plug.  No company is going to willing run in the red or continue to develop a game that is losing money.  Your logic is fail.  Try again.

Originally posted by st3v3b0

You have absolutely no measurables to prove your (bad) theory.  If they were losing money on it they would pull the plug.  No company is going to willing run in the red or continue to develop a game that is losing money.  Your logic is fail.  Try again.

Mortal Online and everything Funcom owns would like to have a word with you...

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

If it is a successful model would NCSOFT not have adopted it for Wildstar ?

Chamber of Chains
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Dear OP is just your point of view, for really a insane amount of people GW2 was just a big disappointment. 
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I mean that in the best way possible.

The amazing amount of detail in this game is unsurpassed by anything, even some of the older games that have set precedents. 

As somebody who had been burnt out on WoW and every other derivative product under the sun I wasn't expecting anything and got more than a thousand hours out of this game.

What exactly do I mean? Graphical detail. Platforming elements. Size of game world, content, class diversity. The events that were delivered free of charge I took for granted. The awesome soundtrack (seriously? nobody appreciates the quality of the music?). The easter eggs strewn about the world...

If this game had released 10 years before it had, it would have received "one of the best games ever made" award, but.. it didn't.

Even though it did everything perfectly and on top of everything added something the MMO genre really needed like Platforming (and to a FAR lesser degree), Puzzle elements, it hasn't received its just deserts and has in recent time sort of gone the tried route of adding more incentives for people to spend money (yay ascended).

To summarize the above: There will not be another game of the same quality as GW2 that delivered the same amount of content updates without an initial sub.

PS: ESO sucks and isn't half the game GW2 is, even sans sub.

You should be banned for being you....

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by st3v3b0

Mortal Online and everything Funcom owns would like to have a word with you...

If NCSoft isn't making enough money on a game they will drop it in that region. That has been proven time and again by them. Lineage, successful in the East, shut down in the West. CoH, successful by all accounts, but not enough for NC so they shut it. If GW2 was anything but successful we would see a power struggle between NC and ANet.

Also to say that GW2 isn't successful is puzzling. EVE is considered a great success and GW2 has pulled in half again as much revenue as EVE has in the last two years.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply GW2 wasn't successful, it most definitely is. I was just saying there are companies out there that will keep a game open even in the red for a long time.

Their goal was to make money with the cash shop, and that they did. I am looking forward to some of the changes coming that went against their first 2 years and cash grab style content. I have cautious optimism for the first time in a while about the long term future of the GW franchise. It makes me happy.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    To the people arguing if GW2 is a.) successful, b.) a good game c.) the cure for cancer, 2012 called and it wants its petty arguments back.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    actually, it bored me to tears. Nice graphics, but somehow very shallow.

I agree with you so much. I think level 20 was as high as I could go without saying "this is boring".

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

That last sentence in OP ruined everything that was written above which was till that point fun to read.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Reklaw

That last sentence in OP ruined everything that was written above which was till that point fun to read.

Pretty much. I don't like ESO but these comments are rather sad :p

And oh the haters! Always entertaining.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I also love GW2 and I have spent over 1000hours in the game aswell.

I think the game is perfect in so many ways that I can't play any other mmo at the moment but the one thing I think they have failed in is delivering an expansion. The game is screaming for new content, new class, profession, crafting, weapons and so on. If they can deliver this soon then the game will live on for a long time but if they try to wait out ESO, Wildstar, wow and other game releases then they might find themselves without players.

Living Story is a great idea that gives players something to do all the time but they are not always a big sucess they really need to give us what we need, an expansion.

I hope they release something soon cause I want to play this game for many more years if I can.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

well, as people might know from my posting history I love GW2.  I continue to play almost every day and spend an inordinate amount of time in World v World.  Saying GW2 is not profitable, uhm, just seems odd.  Great changes also coming to the game in April update.   

As far as ESO, I just don't know. I am an Elder Scrolls fan but plan to skip the Online version. I have followed the game via this site through video and commentary and it seems there is love and hate for it.  I , however, just dont see anything worth a box price, sub, and now a creeping cash shop in game.  I get to enjoy GW2 and only need to pay for character slots or vanity items or useless fluff really.   I'll stay here. 

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

I will save this thread and ignore its obvious bait...

we will now discuss the avatar of the OP... WHO CAN NAME HIM? and WHO HAS THE BEST AVATAR ON THESE FORUMS!??

Originally posted by Reehay

we will now discuss the avatar of the OP... WHO CAN NAME HIM? and WHO HAS THE BEST AVATAR ON THESE FORUMS!??

That, my friend, is the Iron Sheik.  I believe he's passed on now.  I can't really answer the second question without further thought.

EDIT: Misspelled sheik lol

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Eir_S

That, my friend, is the Iron Sheik.  I believe he's passed on now.  I can't really answer the second question without further thought.

No more Iron Sheik?   He was so fun to hate.

Originally posted by flizzer

Yeah, along with Roddy Piper and Nickolai Volkov.  I love how American Wrestling's bad guys were so often "foreigners" lol

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Loved GW2 and put many hours into it. However, I wouldn't even think of comparing it to a game that hasn't even been released yet. To me that is a cry of fanboism beyond compare! If something is threatening you and your game, the first thing you do is swipe at it. It is showing a weakness op! I would pull that comment out. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

GW2 was boring, stylistically confused and overrated, cheaply designed and badly written. Square world zones and poorly designed maps.. Immersion was non-existent from the very beginning. Story was absolutely horrific.

Combat was interesting and fun for a while and crafting was enjoyable. That's about the only positive things I have to say about MY Guild Wars 2 experience. You may disagree and I can only hope that those who are still playing the game enjoys it. But it was not the game for me. So I don't mind that there will be another GW2.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

PS: ESO sucks and isn't half the game GW2 is, even sans sub.

ROFL - That is all.

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by flizzer

Yeah, along with Roddy Piper and Nickolai Volkov.  I love how American Wrestling's bad guys were so often "foreigners" lol

I stopped watching wrestling when Kendo Nagasaki, Big Daddy, and Giant Haystacks stopped being popular.. which was a little while ago now.. but wrestling seemed a lot more fun then image

But yeah, foreigners for some reason were always viewed as either the villain or something equally exotic.. odd i know image