Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls – Finally the Game D3 Was Meant to Be

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i started playing it last night- so far alot of fun! Feels like act I on steroids!

i love the gothic mievil feel .

havent experienced everything  talked here- but i will agree the game is Polished! in Blizzards standards.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Why do people always act like you can only play one ARPG? You can play them all! It isn't a contest, picking one doesn't lock the others out especially when most are F2P.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Originally posted by MarlonB

Awesome ... will pass though until the price drops to something reasonable for an expansion.

I agree.  Considering the title of the review says it all, this it the game D3 should have been, so to get the game D3 should have been people have to pay once more.  It seems like we are telling game companies that they can ship a game with a bunch of problems and then charge them again for the fixes rolled up in an expansion.  Companies do shit like this because people tell them it is ok with their wallets.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´m enjoying the HELL out of it! :)

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by jbombard

Originally posted by MarlonB

Awesome ... will pass though until the price drops to something reasonable for an expansion.

I agree.  Considering the title of the review says it all, this it the game D3 should have been, so to get the game D3 should have been people have to pay once more.  It seems like we are telling game companies that they can ship a game with a bunch of problems and then charge them again for the fixes rolled up in an expansion.  Companies do shit like this because people tell them it is ok with their wallets.

Sums it up for me. The expansion feels like it addresses one of it's biggest shortcomings finally. It also feels like they waited this long so they can milk that fix and call it an expansion. I can agree it is now better than it was before and this is the game it should have been.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    l love the DIABLO games. Diablo III is a little different but l still love it.
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Mine comming tomorrow, can't wait! :)

Seems removing Jay was best decision to improve game.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Will probably pick it up for console when it is released. It's a much better console ARPG than it is PC imo. Crusader looks awesome though, love the tanky playstyles.

Will wait patiently for console because I'm still pretty burnt out from the D3 original console release.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• -=Ashas=--=Ashas=- Member UncommonPosts: 5

I do agree that the price isn't necessarily too high since Blizzard games are usually very polished no matter whether the overall structure is flawed or not.
    Just look at those hundreds of credits that were involved.

However, even if I love the gameplay of Diablo 3 as hinted the design of its system is flawed as it essentially doesn't provide you a challenge at all.

For example, let's say you level all 6 characters from 1 to level 70. At this point you probably played at least 150-180 hours (~15 hours for 1-60 and simply assume the same for 60-70). That may be a lot for a casual player but from an online game it's expected to have far more content or at least entertaining activities.
    Well, what then? PvP is no fun and many miles away from the sophisticated - though still flawed - system in D2.
    There is no ladder, no possible tournaments, no relevant competition of any kind as end content.
    Now it's only about getting better items to be able to play various modes to get even better items.

It is as if Blizzard simply purged all their experience and memory of the one and a half decade with D2 and D1.

At this stage suggesting a ladder is naive because with D3's new design a ladder likely won't work. Still, having some ridiculous ring as end content for those increasing their paragon levels is laughable.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Why do people always act like you can only play one ARPG? You can play them all! It isn't a contest, picking one doesn't lock the others out especially when most are F2P.

It's pretty simple really. There's the valid reason of time when you don't have a lot of it to spend on a dozen games versus one, money when some of these are free and some aren't, and what is worth supporting which you don't want to do if a company doesn't deserve it.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I'll pick up RoS when I'm finding a lack of things to do in FFXIV, which with the new patch hitting this week, will probably be a while.  I enjoyed the 2.0.1 patch, so it's something I'll get eventually.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Having a blast. I've not even touched the new class yet which I plan to level in hardcore first. 
  • chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

can i buy a copy and play offline like when i bought the box set of diablo2 and had a back injury and no internet...no....

NO SALE....sorry its not he game it should be...its the game of drm and money....

and the cost? wtf...no thanks

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by youvewasted2yrs
    So I just came back to finish leveling my witch doctor (50-p20 thanks to boost). If I but Ros can I jump right in?  Does the content scale to my gear? I just started up t1 with about 70k damage.  

Content doesn't scale to your gear, it scales to your level and you are expected to up the "difficulty" if you find the game to easy. I'd like to add that difficulty is only increased in that mobs get more health and more damage so calling it more difficult is not accurate IMO since stuff really just takes a little longer to kill and you have to kite a little more until your paragon/gear is higher. 

Yes you can jump right in so long as you have beaten Diablo before. Change the setting to act V and go.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

it does get more difficult too as you go up in Torment, mobs seem more congested and sometimes have more abilities

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Looks and feels great. The new features expand and enhance the gameplay. You are a fool if you don't get it. And good luck waiting for a price drop.
  • Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

I want to read more comments about the $40 price tag. They are very interesting and helpful. Why isn't everything free??? image

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I tried playing D3 a few weeks back and just couldn't shake he feeling of boredom.  For the $40 price tag, for me it is just not worth it.
  • jcsadonejcsadone Member UncommonPosts: 60

The problem is, I don't care anymore.

I care enough to read reviews, to check if and when there will be D4, but not nickle more. Not a broken dime.

The original D3 was too big of let down for me, but hey - if people like it, it's great for them :).

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

Why would I buy d3, then buy your expansion for $40, when theres PoE for free?

SERIOUSLY, its not 90's anymore, Blizzard wake up.

Originally posted by zzax

Why would I buy d3, then buy your expansion for $40, when theres PoE for free?

Why go to a restaurant when you can eat for free at the soup kitchen!!

Why drive a BMW when you can hitchhike?

Why buy clothes when these free rags seem to cover up most of your body parts?

Why have a girlfriend when the imaginary GF is so much easier to get a long with? 

• gonewildgonewild Member UncommonPosts: 136

The game is not bad but is far from complete.

At these pace it will reach it's final goal of what a diablo should be in 4 more expansions

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

this review seems incredibly biased. ROS came out today and you give it a 10/10 on value and 9.5/10 on longevity. Even if you played the closed beta how can you possibly give something a value grade on a day of play and longevity grade when there is no possible way you've done any legitimate farming.

did you beat it? this has to be the worst ending to a game i've ever seen.

The loot/Ah trading etc.... really should have left that at 5/10 since half the people loved trading the other half didn't.

while i do agree that paragon, class builds and loot recieved overall updates. It still stands that nephalem rifts are incredibly unrewarding and the mystic has a fine print to it on your re-rolls. Adventure mode is a gamble too. I am not saying i dislike adventure mode but there really needs to be a lot more 'time' invested to see how rewarding it feels. Remember almost all the big name streamers quit this game less than a month into playing it.

socialization is more forced on players now than ever with boa (cept in game in party) .

longevity...9/10. This is the first update to the game. It basically took out features , added features that were promised from the beginning and gave you 1 act and 1 class that is already beaten. How did you possibly come up with that type of score for longevity? Rating it on content not yet in the game like PvP and ladders. Also, the interview with lead designer said they are still "talking about how to add pvp". "we'd like to add x feature or x feature is coming soon" is not the same "x  feature is in the game".

i enjoy some of your reviews here, but sometimes these huge titles you review seem like you were paid to prmote it. Seeing all the ROS on the site, i can see how that may be the case. Just asking for a little more objectivity in your "official review"

frome lead producer alex mayberry

"PvP, if we do it, we’d have to go all in. That’s why it’s not in Reaper. But we’ll continue to look at it and, if we find a good solution, we’ll start down that road. Right now it’s sitting there on hold."

Originally posted by gonewild

The game is not bad but is far from complete.

At these pace it will reach it's final goal of what a diablo should be in 4 more expansions

Is that your vision of what D3 should be, or the actual developers who make the game?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I returned for the latest patch pre-launch and was still bored with the game.  Ladders, if implemented right and I doubt they'll do it right, could be enough to break the boredom.  But I'll wait until they actually deliver the goods before buying the expansion.