Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell To TESO

Comments

• ReeseFlamelocksReeseFlamelocks Member UncommonPosts: 45

The era of the "next big MMO" is over. WoW came at the right time and place when MMO releases were fewer and farther between. WoW is still alive purely based on nostalgia and time invested of a past MMO player-base. You play an MMO for a year and then leave for the next one. If ESO gives me a year, I'll be happy. No game is meant to be played forever.

Besides that, the writer of that article was nit-picking fairly minute and insignificant points about the UI and payment structure. These factors rate pretty low on my scale of important issues.

Played: UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, DDO, LOTRO, Aion, Rift, TERA
    Sampled: WoW, AoC, GW2, Vanguard, FF XIV, Neverwinter
    Playing: ESO

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

So someone spends nine months helping to improve a game, build a community, working with the devs, and then eventually decides the end product isn't for them. They write a well written and surprisingly dispassionate explanation of their decision on their personal blog only to get trashed by a bunch of barely literate dullards who hang out on a site whose main claim to fame is hourly foaming mouthed screeds about how casuals/soloers/WoW/whatever "killed" MMOs?

Classic.

Even better, inevitably the bulk of those self-same dullards will be spending their time around here trashing the hell out of TESO in three months or less.

This place is nothing if not rich in irony.

I wish TESO well, as I do most games that come out -- the more choice the better. But anyone who thinks the devs are following a "vision" is delusional and anyone who can't see that the game is in for a rough start hasn't been paying attention.

You can debate the API change 'til doomsday, and I agree that for him (and many others) that was clearly the straw that broke the camel's back, but many of the other things he brings up aren't really open for debate and are serious issues anyone hoping for the game's long term health should be paying attention to and be worried about.

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

It's an interesting "article" to read, for sure.

However, ESO hasn't even had a proper launch yet.  So, to go all "Dear John" on it (and even to label the post "A Farewell to ESO") sounds like a creepy stalker saying they're breaking up with you when you weren't even dating.

I also like how they said they weren't going to pay money for an inevitable F2P title.  I hate to say this, but I sincerely feel, at some point, every MMO will go F2P.  WoW may not, but they don't have to- they have their legions of fans that won't play anything but WoW.  I don't really see another MMO getting a core audience like that, as WoW was around when there weren't too many choices for MMO's.  Nowadays, though, there is literally an MMO for every kind of player.

I'd love to see ESO do well.  I won't be playing it, but I see no reason why it won't find and captivate its targeted audience- even if this Johnny McNobody isn't gonna be playing it.

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268

Give me a break!  This guy had/has a super large ego and thinks he is a special snowflake.  He cried non stop about a nerf to his class (Templar), was mad about API changes, and constantly deleted posts and chastised other users for not agreeing with his know it all ways.  

Some of these people think that because they write a blog or are a member of a big guild that they are the epitamy of all mmo gamers. He felt he had to broadcast his sob story for the whole world to see and take a shot at ZoS at the same time.  Very lame if you ask me.  He rather play Swtor and minecraft instead of ESO if that tells you something.  Very very childlike.

OMG I am Ancient!
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Dang you ESO,there should be news how you add new wonderful things to the game and not these how you remove features from allready thin feature list :(.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Myria

So someone spends nine months helping to improve a game, build a community, working with the devs, and then eventually decides the end product isn't for them. They write a well written and surprisingly dispassionate explanation of their decision on their personal blog only to get trashed by a bunch of barely literate dullards who hang out on a site whose main claim to fame is hourly foaming mouthed screeds about how casuals/soloers/WoW/whatever "killed" MMOs?

Classic.

Even better, inevitably the bulk of those self-same dullards will be spending their time around here trashing the hell out of TESO in three months or less.

This place is nothing if not rich in irony.

I wish TESO well, as I do most games that come out -- the more choice the better. But anyone who thinks the devs are following a "vision" is delusional and anyone who can't see that the game is in for a rough start hasn't been paying attention.

You can debate the API change 'til doomsday, and I agree that for him (and many others) that was clearly the straw that broke the camel's back, but many of the other things he brings up aren't really open for debate and are serious issues anyone hoping for the game's long term health should be paying attention to and be worried about.

When you make your opinion known on the internet, prepare for it to get trashed, sorry if that hurts your feelings. Also, not many are really "trashing" them, more like saying he doesnt bring any new points to the table and he started disliking the game the minute API changes went into effect. Which in itself is a pretty weak argument for anything. Apparently it is entirely open to debate because there's just as many people who disagree with what he's saying as agree.

If everyone here were idiots in your opinion you wouldnt get so butt hurt over what is said. But here you are...whinging like a wounded mule. No big surprises here.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by spizz

The author of this text is a long term beta tester (if I remember correct 9+ months) and did level up several characters to LVL 50 already. He was aswell a moderator at the tamrielfoundry forums.

http://errantpenman.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/a-farewell-to-teso/

Cool, someone who thinks we should care about his opinion. Guess what, no one cares random dude who didn't get his way, no one cares.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Azmodeus

Give me a break!  This guy had/has a super large ego and thinks he is a special snowflake.  He cried non stop about a nerf to his class (Templar), was mad about API changes, and constantly deleted posts and chastised other users for not agreeing with his know it all ways.  

Some of these people think that because they write a blog or are a member of a big guild that they are the epitamy of all mmo gamers. He felt he had to broadcast his sob story for the whole world to see and take a shot at ZoS at the same time.  Very lame if you ask me.  He rather play Swtor and minecraft instead of ESO if that tells you something.  Very very childlike.

Agreed. The blog guy threw out his dummy.

Tbh it's getting old, like the "I quit!" posts on swtor's forums all them months ago.

If your unhappy, leave, don't play... We do not care! We'll plod along having fun.

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

The author of this text is a long term beta tester (if I remember correct 9+ months) and did level up several characters to LVL 50 already. He was aswell a moderator at the tamrielfoundry forums.

Cool, someone who thinks we should care about his opinion. Guess what, no one cares random dude who didn't get his way, no one cares.

Yet here we are. 17 pages of threads on a guy no one cares for. GG

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

So let me get this straight.

When the beta-tester has played for a short amount of time:

-Your negative review is invalid and makes no sense, you did not play enough to have a real and solid opinion about the state of the game and thus yours is pointless whining.

When the beta tester has played for a long time and is a veteran:

-Your negative review is invalid and makes no sense,  you played too long so it means the game was good so you do not have a real or solid opinion about the state of the game and yours is just being burnt and rumphurt.

O....k.......

Originally posted by Daxamar

What does that have to do with anything? It's just funny laughing at people who think they are important.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
    This guy just got done writing a super positive review of the game on Tamriel foundry.  Bottom line is he is quitting because of the API decision and is making a huge post to draw attention to the horror (in his mind) of that decision.

Exactly. I admit I went back after my initial post and skim read through the bulk of it, this seems to be the gripe? Can taking an established stance on this be considered flip flopping? Just because something was allowed in beta for test purposes, doesnt mean its going to ultimately make it to live, one would think this goes without saying for anything in the beta. In short, dont get too attached to what you see because it is after all, a testing environment.

He probably thought his ability to WTFBBQPWN in the game had been somewhat dimished by the lack of API support. The game is going in a different direction, suck it up.

All in all it seems to be more of a philosophical disagreement or some perceived master plan (or lack thereof) that seems to be the driving point behind his post. Out one side of his mouth he basically claims Zenimax has no idea what the hell they're doing, and out the other that they're already priming the game to go F2P with some ominous racketeering design. It can hardly be both at the same damn time.

Anytime someone starts off their post by mentioning how prominent/important they are, what follows is going to suck.

It's not flip flopping. I'm almost 100% certain we all knew the unlimited powah of the API as it was in beta wasn't staying. They said so at least a few months ago. Granted, it took way longer for them to scale back than I personally thought they would, but I guess some were convinced the scale back wouldn't be as dramatic or the long delay meant they changed their minds and wouldn't scale back at all.

Turns out they didn't change their mind. And stuck to it all along. QQ commences.

If you want a summary of what a lot of the ER folks feel about the API changes, look at Golden Tiger's post on here. Taking away the ability to tell exactly how much magicka, stamina, hp, buffs, etc an enemy play has = no PvP. For some reason.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

Do you know who this guy is?  (Isarii).

He is probably the single most prominent ESO community member.  I believe he is the main driving force behind the preeminent fan forum Tamriel Foundry.

That he has abandoned the game after unselfishly sinking so much time is an incredible red flag.

Wow!  Never thought I would see this happen.  Fascinating.

Actually, to see someone like isarii crying about the ESO devs "not listening to the wise words of Tamrielfoundry" fills me with hope for the future of the game.

It shows that the devs ARE staying true to their own vision, and are not being swayed by small power-groups who believe that they are "special" and should be the ones dictating the development decisions for the masses.

Originally posted by Arataki

It's not flip flopping. I'm almost 100% certain we all knew the unlimited powah of the API as it was in beta wasn't staying. They said so at least a few months ago. Granted, it took way longer for them to scale back than I personally thought they would, but I guess some were convinced the scale back wouldn't be as dramatic or the long delay meant they changed their minds and wouldn't scale back at all.

Turns out they didn't change their mind. And stuck to it all along. QQ commences.

If you want a summary of what a lot of the ER folks feel about the API changes, look at Golden Tiger's post on here. Taking away the ability to tell exactly how much magicka, stamina, hp, buffs, etc an enemy play has = no PvP. For some reason.

Sounds like some people are upset they don't get to cheat anymore. That makes his tears even more glorious.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    As has been the history of these boards for years now, it will be interesting to see 1-2 months post launch, how many fans who are giving the bug issue a pass in beta, start complaining how broken the game is and how unacceptable all these bugs are. It may be true that all software has bugs, but MMOs do not have player bases that are patient when it comes to waiting for them to be fixed. 

While the super fan turning rabid hater is often a tale we see. I think a distinction has to be made about bugs here, there are bugs: minor annoyances, then there are BUGS: multiple quests won't work... If people are leaving over that in two months, who could blame em?

Last beta I came across 7 bugged quests.  The other day they brought the servers up to test the overflow servers, at that time none of the quests were bugged...let the game launch...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

What does that have to do with anything? It's just funny laughing at people who think they are important.

I find it funny that theres so many post on this. I think he did hes job. If he wanted to get attention, hes got it.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

Do you know who this guy is?  (Isarii).

He is probably the single most prominent ESO community member.  I believe he is the main driving force behind the preeminent fan forum Tamriel Foundry.

That he has abandoned the game after unselfishly sinking so much time is an incredible red flag.

Wow!  Never thought I would see this happen.  Fascinating.

Oh please.  He doesn't like the API changes so he's going to walk away.  Regardless of what he said in the post, he is bashing the game in an attempt to punish Zen for a decision he doesn't agree with.

Personally I like that they locked down the API hard.  If he can't handle it, I wish him luck in  another game. 

Pretty much this.

And that goes back to my point of his opinion feeling like hubris.

So if I drive a fan site, play the game for months and then comment (positivley or negatively) on information that everyone has, my opinion will have more weight?

The only weight it gains is if I'm commenting on the beta experience itself. Not if a feature is good or bad.

Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

Anytime someone starts off their post by mentioning how prominent/important they are, what follows is going to suck.

"insert clapping Orson Welles"

LOL thank you Sovrath, you always seems to say just what i am thinking but get it out before i do, but yes i totally agree.

Lolipops !

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by ReeseFlamelocks

The era of the "next big MMO" is over. WoW came at the right time and place when MMO releases were fewer and farther between. WoW is still alive purely based on nostalgia and time invested of a past MMO player-base. You play an MMO for a year and then leave for the next one. If ESO gives me a year, I'll be happy. No game is meant to be played forever.

Then it shouldn't be P2P. Buy and dump themepark mmos are perfectly fine for many like me. But if the the game's just meant to be played for some months and put aside only to be touched on rare occasions, i don't see a reason to pay for game time when all that matters is the box content.

EDIT: Of course no game's meant to be played "forever", but if all i wanted was a game to play and dump, i'd settle for SP. Much more value, quality and cheaper. But like i said, meh, themeparks.

I find it funny that theres so many post on this. I think he did hes job. If he wanted to get attention, hes got it.

True, to some people it's better to be known as a dillwad than forgotten I guess.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Not to be rude but thank god this guy is gone we will all be better off..........

I mean I understand you don't agree with some of the decisions but come on... All I can picture from that goodbye post is someone needing a pacifier and a nap.....

All you have to do is look at his post history on TF and you can see some of his responses to others telling them he doesn't give a shit what they say and then threatening to kick people off the site if they posted anything that was basically disagreeing with his view.... Lovely way to talk to people when your a moderator..... He basically wanted to tell people his opinion and when others didn't agree he would throw a tantrum....

And not to mention this so called goodbye post is completely contradictory it's a convoluted mess...... I will refer you once again to look at his posting history on TF all of a sudden since he doesn't like the API changes he does a 180 and now doesn't like half the features he said he liked....... It's nothing but a cry for attention.......

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I cant believe you stomached 9 months of it, you are giving the fanbois hope that the game will last a year before going F2P.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

OP seems like one of those nerdy pve healers. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

So let me get this straight.

When the beta-tester has played for a short amount of time:

-Your negative review is invalid and makes no sense, you did not play enough to have a real and solid opinion about the state of the game and thus yours is pointless whining.

When the beta tester has played for a long time and is a veteran:

-Your negative review is invalid and makes no sense,  you played too long so it means the game was good so you do not have a real or solid opinion about the state of the game and yours is just being burnt and rumphurt.

O....k.......

I would say "no" to either.

When the beta-tester has played for a short amount of time: you have a particular experience that you can comment upon but can't make longer term predictions on things that require long term commitment.

You can say "it was buggy as hell", "the starter areas were boring (insert reasons), "I found the starter skills lack luster (insert reasons) etc.

You can't say the entire game is boring, the skill system lacks depth. You could surmise that if the starter areas are buggy as hell then the rest of the game might very well be the same.

When the beta tester has played for a long time and is a veteran: You can comment on the arch of the beta, how the developers handled feedback (read: not expecting they take your feedback as gospel and if they don't then they are in error), how the game develops over the course of your play time, how the skill systems develop, if the game has an end game, and if you played it, whether you felt it was compelling enough to keep players (insert reasons).

If the developers make decisions you don't like then that's fine. expecting that your say "should", nay "must" be listened to when talking about a particular feature and how it should be implemented, is going too far.

You might not like how they implement that feature (which is fine) but expecting that you and your fellow players know the right of it and no one else does, is arrogant.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222

It's fascinating to see how much blind hatred the average poster shows towards the blog writer. Fact is, hes done a lot of work in terms of making the game better and informing the community. 9 months of work and altering the course. Alright, so he changed his mind, but he posted on his own blog to inform his followers in a polite manner, not on some random forum to seek attention.

People can be so ungrateful, but this isnt anything new :)

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    To be fair, he doesn't say the game isn't worth getting. But on the whole, I just can't agree with someone who's spent nine months playing a game for free and now decides to complain about costs that may or may not turn up in the future.