Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Farewell To TESO

Comments

• MsPtibiscuitMsPtibiscuit Member Posts: 164

Apart for the "Omg, look at me, i'm leaving the game", he pretty sums up what's wrong in ESO for me.

He has seen a good game being ruined by the marketers, and by the fact they listened too much to the community. The Imperial DLC and the Cash Shop is something that keeps me from buying the game, some people will say tha it's not a "big paywall", but it's more the fact that they pulled something like that before the release. I also agree about the changes they've made that contradicts the original vision of the MMO, it's too late to put the race/alliance restriction back, imo, but it's not too late to put the old API back.

[quote]Another thing that is hysterical, this guys was the Fanbois Messiah. People worshiped this guy just about when he was positive. Now that he has some critical opinions and points of view they want to crucify the guy. Funny how that works I guess. [/quote]

Yeah, that's a pretty valuable article considering he was a real "fanboy" of the game before

• ReticulataReticulata Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Have fun waiting for the next mmo which will most likely be another major disappointment.

Yea, I wish him luck with that.

Mmo launches disappoint almost everyone, almost all the time. You either learn to ride it out, or you stop playing them.

If all you can do is anticipate the next greatest thing, you will find yourself endlessly disappointed with every game launch.

This game is not even launched yet, so the live version 3, 6, or 12 months down the road remains to be seen. Just like every other mmo, including EQN and the others that he is so anxiously looking forward to...good luck to him.

SOE changes name to Daybreak games, cause dey break games.
  • HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

Didnt read. I couldnt honestly give two shits why he doesnt wanna play the game any more or why anyone else doesnt want to play the game, I come here because I like the game and sometimes those who bash MMO's are "haha that's kinda sad" funny. The actual reasons behind the angst dont interest me in the slightest.

I react the exact same way to every complaint or doom and gloom post. They're all the same. No matter how much effort you put in to critiquing a game, it can ultimately be trumped by "dont like it, piss off". Dont tell me you want to like the game, no you dont. You want the game to be more like something you would like, that millions of other people obviously wouldnt like, otherwise it would get made.

Yeah there a lot of bitter burn out MMO players, I used to be one of them. Then I stopped playing MMO's for several years and came back to the genre now. I dont NEED an MMO. If one doesnt come along that suits me, I excersise my first and most powerful right as a consumer by not buying it. Exactly 0 effort is expended by me on stuff I dont like, or never will like. That's just logic. Its a powerful decision making tool.

When you take the time to write out some long drawn out essay about why you dont feel compelled to enjoy a certain title, you're saying far more about yourself as a consumer and a gamer than you are about the game itself. More than likely you're terrible at both and are using this medium to work out some other problems. Good on ya, and good luck.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Am I the only one who finds it odd that people are arguing over a blog post not even born of this site, here on this site?

No, it was provided for discussion and we are discussing it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Iselin

I don't think so much of myself or my influence to feel compelled to write an essay whenever I stop playing one game and start another one.

My thoughts exactly. Narcissism was never my thing either.

Originally posted by Reticulata
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Have fun waiting for the next mmo which will most likely be another major disappointment.

Yea, I wish him luck with that.

Mmo launches disappoint almost everyone, almost all the time. You either learn to ride it out, or you stop playing them.

If all you can do is anticipate the next greatest thing, you will find yourself endlessly disappointed with every game launch.

People need to take these games for what they are, not what we want them to be. Not saying you will want to play them for "what they are" but there was a time that a game would come out and people wouldn't be demanding this and that.

They would just play the games, find out they were good or bad and continue playing or stop playing depending on their tastes.

I don't recall highly divisive arguments about how "Space Invaders" is repetitive" or how Myst is "too slow". Of course we didn't have the public forums that we have now but players did write letters to magazines,  and developers, had have discussions.

ESO is not what I wanted it to be. By a long shot. but taking the good things it's fun. At least for me.

I do think that whoever is calling the shots over at Zenimax needs to go back to school and learn how to present their games. Too many "stupid little surprises" too many "we have no information (such as us not knowing very much about a major pvp feature in the game until recently) too much in the dark.

This game suffers from good leadership. The people I've met that were involved seemed like decent people but that's not going to make an amazing game.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

Didnt read. I couldnt honestly give two shits why he doesnt wanna play the game any more or why anyone else doesnt want to play the game, I come here because I like the game and sometimes those who bash MMO's are "haha that's kinda sad" funny. The actual reasons behind the angst dont interest me in the slightest.

I react the exact same way to every complaint or doom and gloom post. They're all the same. No matter how much effort you put in to critiquing a game, it can ultimately be trumped by "dont like it, piss off". Dont tell me you want to like the game, no you dont. You want the game to be more like something you would like, that millions of other people obviously wouldnt like, otherwise it would get made.

Yeah there a lot of bitter burn out MMO players, I used to be one of them. Then I stopped playing MMO's for several years and came back to the genre now. I dont NEED an MMO. If one doesnt come along that suits me, I excersise my first and most powerful right as a consumer by not buying it. Exactly 0 effort is expended by me on stuff I dont like, or never will like. That's just logic. Its a powerful decision making tool.

When you take the time to write out some long drawn out essay about why you dont feel compelled to enjoy a certain title, you're saying far more about yourself as a consumer and a gamer than you are about the game itself. More than likely you're terrible at both and are using this medium to work out some other problems. Good on ya, and good luck.

Except he was paraded around by people 'in the know' as the end all be all of ESO. He was accused of being a ZoS plant by some because his positivity was so over the top.

The only question is was he a wolf in sheeps clothing the whole time? I dont think so. He isnt overly critical of the game. 

The thing is its all about appearances and for lack of a better word giving people 'authority' when it comes to discussing something. People gave this guy authority on the subject. Valid or not.

People have eyes they know what they saw. He saw more. He also saw the changes having the add ons made versus not having them.

Anyone who has played ANY ES game knows they suck until theyre modded. I dont think that is even argued from the people who have spent more than a coffee break in them. They Always brag about simplicity, but simplicity sucks thats why guys spend hours upon hours modding the Elder Scrolls games ot make them better and in some case even playable.

People can call it sour grapes or whatever but it rings true on a lot of levels with a lot of people.

Eventually everything that can be allowed will be allowed because theyll be desperate to keep players playing and paying, through a cash shop or optional subs or both. Thats just how it works.

Majority of the people dont want subscriptions anyway. The few that do arent going to pay a sub for a game inferior to most free to play games out there.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    ESO is leaving in all the bugs to give it a more authentic Elder Scrolls feel.

*BA-DUM-TSSSS*

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Kudos to Zen for sticking with their vision of the game.  It is after all an Elder Scrolls game.

They can always loosen up on the API data, but after launch they can never tighten their grip on it.  My take is that this person just wants to play this game a certain way and is leaving because he can't.

In my opinion, Zen has already made enough compromises for the standard MMO crowd.  Good game or bad game, at least stand for something.  Their move on this gives me hope for the future of the game. 

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

Do you know who this guy is?  (Isarii).

He is probably the single most prominent ESO community member.  I believe he is the main driving force behind the preeminent fan forum Tamriel Foundry.

That he has abandoned the game after unselfishly sinking so much time is an incredible red flag.

Wow!  Never thought I would see this happen.  Fascinating.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by JemAs666
    lol thanks for sharing.  I can sleep tonight knowing this one person isn't playing.  I mean seriously this is a human being not unlike the other human beings.  This person isn't anyone special and I could care less if they play or not. I am glad they think so highly of themselves that them not playing makes any difference.

And we thank you for taking the time to post about how you don't care and you think this person is not special. As if you are yourself. If you don't care, why even bother posting unless you are so small you feel the need to belittle anyone that does share your own opinion.

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I'm not phased by anything he said, it's all information that we knew and frustrated us already. Rather, I agree with his anger towards ZOS' flip floppity decision making. I think ZOS is now aware to, after doing the AMA which was full of enraged people about the cash shop as well as the API gutting. Hopefully they realize that this cash shop turns people away more than it brings in. 

ZOS doesn't need to worry about quick money grabs like the 5 dollar horse or whatever. They need to focus on creating a game that is friendly to a long lasting, stable community. 

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    This guy just got done writing a super positive review of the game on Tamriel foundry.  Bottom line is he is quitting because of the API decision and is making a huge post to draw attention to the horror (in his mind) of that decision.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

He is probably the single most prominent ESO community member.  I believe he is the main driving force behind the preeminent fan forum Tamriel Foundry.

That he has abandoned the game after unselfishly sinking so much time is an incredible red flag.

I followed this guy on Tamriel Foundry for a while now. He has some good points on the Templar nerfs, and the Cash Shop.

Sad to see him go. He was one of the biggest ESO fan for a while. The stuff ZOS put in at the last minute seem to have been the kicker for him.

I have read his articles on TF. They werent this bad before. I wonder what made him write this blog? He actually has a very good review of ESO.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Oh please.  He doesn't like the API changes so he's going to walk away.  Regardless of what he said in the post, he is bashing the game in an attempt to punish Zen for a decision he doesn't agree with.

Personally I like that they locked down the API hard.  If he can't handle it, I wish him luck in  another game. 

Originally posted by Riannes

Re: ESO

Shouldnt it raised some eyebrows when one of our biggest fans (I use our because I think he was one of the biggest fans. And I am a fan. I want eso to succeed) left the game the way he did? For me yes. And I think it can be changed by stop spreading our legs wide and stop getting screwed over at every opportunities.

I think it's the way he presents his opinions as if they are gospel.

I get the feeling that he felt that his opinion was more important, that the game didn't evolve the way he thinks it should and that he now feels like his 9 months (his choice to spend that time)  spent in the beta didn't sway the game in a way that he felt it should go.

He's not a co-developer he is a beta tester. He provides feedback and the "developers" take that feedback and decide how their game should be.

His reasons are his reasons but his manifesto feels like hubris to me.

As I've said, some of his reasons resonate with me and some I highly disagree with. I look forward to his next disappointment and his next manifesto.

Maybe he should just start making his own games.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Are you for real?  Yeah I know who this guy is - just another dude with an opinion like you or me.  No more important, no less.  That he has abandoned the game means as much to me as every other person on this board or anywhere else who has posted over the last few months saying they aren't going to play ESO at launch anymore for ___________ reason.  I can make my own decision about whether I want to play a game or not and so should you.  "Him leaving is an incredible red flag."  Seriously, good lord.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

Are you for real?  Yeah I know who this guy is - just another dude with an opinion like you or me.  No more important, no less.  That he has abandoned the game means as much to me as every other person on this board or anywhere else who has posted over the last few months saying they aren't going to play ESO at launch anymore for ___________ reason.  I can make my own decision about whether I want to play a game or not and so should you.  "Him leaving is an incredible red flag."  Seriously, good lord.

Spot on - dude leveled multiple 50's and got burnt out.  Once he saw the API changes he decided okay I am done.  As I said if there had been NO API changes I doubt you see that blog post - simple as that.

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370
    This guy just got done writing a super positive review of the game on Tamriel foundry.  Bottom line is he is quitting because of the API decision and is making a huge post to draw attention to the horror (in his mind) of that decision.

Exactly. I admit I went back after my initial post and skim read through the bulk of it, this seems to be the gripe? Can taking an established stance on this be considered flip flopping? Just because something was allowed in beta for test purposes, doesnt mean its going to ultimately make it to live, one would think this goes without saying for anything in the beta. In short, dont get too attached to what you see because it is after all, a testing environment.

He probably thought his ability to WTFBBQPWN in the game had been somewhat dimished by the lack of API support. The game is going in a different direction, suck it up.

All in all it seems to be more of a philosophical disagreement or some perceived master plan (or lack thereof) that seems to be the driving point behind his post. Out one side of his mouth he basically claims Zenimax has no idea what the hell they're doing, and out the other that they're already priming the game to go F2P with some ominous racketeering design. It can hardly be both at the same damn time.

Anytime someone starts off their post by mentioning how prominent/important they are, what follows is going to suck.

Originally posted by NomadMorlock

Oh please.  He doesn't like the API changes so he's going to walk away.  Regardless of what he said in the post, he is bashing the game in an attempt to punish Zen for a decision he doesn't agree with.

Personally I like that they locked down the API hard.  If he can't handle it, I wish him luck in  another game. 

Pretty much this.

And that goes back to my point of his opinion feeling like hubris.

So if I drive a fan site, play the game for months and then comment (positivley or negatively) on information that everyone has, my opinion will have more weight?

The only weight it gains is if I'm commenting on the beta experience itself. Not if a feature is good or bad.

Originally posted by HabitualFrogStomp

Anytime someone starts off their post by mentioning how prominent/important they are, what follows is going to suck.

"insert clapping Orson Welles"

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

This. I'm on TF and I enjoy the site and most of the community, but once they gutted the API they took the biggest bitch fit I've ever seen. Props to ZOS for standing their ground. I don't want TES to look like every other mmo with nothing but numbers and UI.

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    I played WAR for about 1 year. The constant battles and keep raids kept me entertained for a year so in my opinion it was money well spent on the game, even though we all know it's eventual fate. When it stopped being fun I cancelled my sub and left.

• VeCroweVeCrowe Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Originally posted by ImprovV
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    That blog post pretty much reinforces all my gripes & predictions about ESO from day 1. Well thought out blog, imo, without sounding bitter. 

He played the game for 9 months doing literally everything and reaching max rank after he got to 50. Must be a pretty damn good game.

If he'd played less, someone would be saying "his opinion doesn't matter because he didn't play long enough" and/or "didn't see/do everything".

Of course, the same thing is happening in either case. It's an attempt to dismiss or invalidate an opinion you don't like.

Anyway, I find it sad that some of you have nothing better to do with your lives other than trying so damn hard to bring a game you dont like down.

Why is someone voicing criticism/negative opinions of a game "bringing it down"? They tried the game, they didn't like it, they're discussing it.  It's an opinion. It's harmless.

Better question is , why are you so over-sensitive and intolerant of opinions you don't agree with?

I'm going to bet people like OP and countless others on these forums will continue to whine, trash, and post useless links to every single MMO that is going to come out up until the last day of your lives. 

That's what forums are for. To discuss and share differing views on various games. If the article linked was complimentary, you'd probably be here praising it.

^^^^^^ THIS, eso fanboys are so predictable at this point tbh but what you posted is 100 percent right, to many wanna be actors here though
  • Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    RIP in piece TESO.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

They didnt gut the UI. They scaled down what you can and cannot see on other players. Theres still lots of add-ons that help you make the UI what you want it to look like.

I think he just burnt out on ESO, personally. I hope I get 9 months out of ESO! LOL