Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] Imperial race only available through collector’s edition.

AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
So what are your thoughts?

Comments

• TaneonTaneon Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I must confess my selfishness on this one, i voted i have no problem simply because they locked out Imperial race. I never played an imperial, dont care about them and they are not that better tanks. I seriously dont care about imperials... if they would locked out breton or bosmer, then...
  • AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    The point is not about if you like a locked race or not. The point is if you agree a sub based game to have locked races in general.
  • GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

Depends how your looking at it. For the first time a Collectors edition has somehting different and worthwhile.

What you need to ask yourself is this. If there was no Collector's Edition would there still have been a playable Imperial race ?

• TaneonTaneon Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    The point is not about if you like a locked race or not. The point is if you agree a sub based game to have locked races in general.

Yeah i know, what i wanted to say is that on this game i dont care due to the which race was locked.

But to be more on point, I see absolutely no reason why sub games should be sooo special. I dont percive subing to be such a bad thing. Before F2P craziness it used to be a norm, i dont mind it getting to be the norm again. Thats why i have no qualms about locking a race due to game being sub or no.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

paying more for the same game (CE vs standard) should grant perks. Not actual game content, much less core content. I dont consider cosmetics as content, but actual races or faction access IS content. The statue of Molag Bal alone is worth the CE price. Let alone all the other perks that come with it. There was no need to lock a race behind a paywall with a subscription in place. Zenimax is just testing the waters for the imminent F2P conversion with some early content sales and paywalls for the early quick cash that already became a standard practice for mmos thanks to the supporters of that shady practice.

It is OK to praise an upcoming mmo with the ELder Scrolls IP on it, but blindly supporting this garbage is the reason why subscription mmos will never be the same. Nothing with a subscription on it is worth a penny right now because of the greed of the company and the people who support it just so they can play the game already. Oh those same people tend to be the ones that like to pull the "poor cheapskates" answer to everyone to feel better with themselves while being milked.

EDIT: i dont care about the imperial race, they are just humans. But its not about the race itself, its about the bad practice. THe fact that they can pull this crap off means they can do anything to greedy because they have their sheeps following them with open wallets and closed eyes. THe subscription is there to avoid greedy practices and paywalls. THey clearly dont care about hurting their game like that.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Do I dislike the idea of them selling crap like this? Not really, I really don't care about that I just won't buy it, end of story on that part. My only problem with it is that I typically play Imperials, but I don't like buying stuff like this at launch, when I can live without it. I don't think it's worth 20 bucks... I also don't like that they flip flopped after selling the game under the premise of no cash shop. Other than that Oh well..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

It's just one of the things that made me not buy the game. Sorry, but in order for me to pay 15 euros per month for something, you have to give me access to all content, period. It also makes the devs look like a bunch of hypocrites, considering their lead tried to justify the sub by saying he dislikes paywalls.

IMO hiding the option to choose your race freely behind a pre-order is actually much worse. Whenever devs promote pre-ordering their game so heavily, it screams "we're not sure you'll buy it after reading some reviews" to me.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Not a Issue for me, its basically a race add later then the announcements of the races. I dint expected them to be in. they add the race based on popular demand and unlocked all races/factions based on popular demand. Same for the 50+(+) PVE content , its add based on popular demand.

Asking a little money for add last min content is "ok" it would have bin smarter to add that content later but its how MMO's work these days subscriptions or not.

anyone who avoid games coz they have subscriptions and add cash shop content will not find a game anymore. most old subscription games have add cash shops to their games and alot of single player games sell DLC on Day 1. its the way things are now and it will not chance coz for every one person who says no , one hundred say yes.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Could not care less if i tried. CE´s pretty much always contains some form of special content and that is what makes them stand out. I have no problem with the imperial being locked away. It is after all just another human and we have plenty of those to begin with. Had it been one of the other races i might have been a tad more critical, but only from a marketing strategy point of view as it causes a lot of unheeded anger. Now most people will not care one iota and most of the people thart care will buy the CE.

Now a Digital Delux edition would have been good, price wise in-between the CE and the regular one and only offering the digital extras.... Oh wait they did do that. Go figure.

So in essence you are wrong OP.. it is not only available through the CE, you can get it for a small add-on to the price of your standard edition, and considering what you get it is pretty good value for money.

This have been a good conversation

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    You can upgrade to it later if you want to play Imperial.  Just from a poll of my friends, most of them bought the digital Imperial Edition, but not for the Imperial Race.  Most plan on playing Khajiit, High Elf, or Orc.  I only know 2 others beside myself that will be playing Imperial, out of ~100 people.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

There are many reasons why I'm not buying this game, but this is one of the major ones.

If they're greedy enough to hide a class behind this extra paywall, we can only speculate on what their greed will cause in the future.

Imo, this is exactly like day-one DLCs, the wrapping is just a little different.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Netspook

There are many reasons why I'm not buying this game, but this is one of the major ones.

If they're greedy enough to hide a class behind this extra paywall, we can only speculate on what their greed will cause in the future.

Imo, this is exactly like day-one DLCs, the wrapping is just a little different.

Probably a typo, but it's a race not a class that's locked away.  Race actually doesn't play as much as a role in the long run.  As one of my friends put it, you can play the free version of the Imperial (Redguard).  Redguard racials are very similar to Imperial, but instead of health it's all about stamina.  Stamina is actually more beneficial than health in longer battles.  Imperial will have more health, but Redguard can attack and block more damage with shield/parry.  As I've told many, the racials even themselves out.  One race will be better in one area than the others. People complain about the Khajiit crit bonus, but I have to point out, if you're and Orc you can outrun everyone, if you're a High Elf mage you deal 6% more damage than everyone else, etc. It all even's out.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I think this answer was already solved by the fact that one website selling games showed statistics that Collectors Editions were selling at a rate of 5 CE for every 1 standard. 

The Tribe has spoken...   put out your torch and leave the island...  actually they unlocked  starter islands so I can not say that anymore 8(

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    So what are your thoughts?

You pay the money you get the product. There is nothing to not understand here. If you want to play Imperial, you pay the premium. Doesn't matter whether people agree with it or not.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

"Do you agree that a sub based game has a full race locked for non Collectors buyers?"

The only correct answer to the phrasing of this question is yes.  Is there a full race locked for non Collector's buyers?  Yes there is, so I have to agree that there is.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by abregar
    I must confess my selfishness on this one, i voted i have no problem simply because they locked out Imperial race. I never played an imperial, dont care about them and they are not that better tanks. I seriously dont care about imperials... if they would locked out breton or bosmer, then...

Agreed. Imperial race is pretty suck. idgaf if they lock it to CE only.

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

It sucks but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Imperials are literally the least interesting race in Elder Scrolls. You can craft imperial armour regardless if you bought the imperial edition or not. The only difference betweent he Imperial horse and the cheapest horse in game is that it's white. Rings of Mara are accessible regardless if you purchase the imperial edition. Not sure if i'm forgetting anything else other than a mudcrab pet. 

Also, IE is only 4 dollars more on Green Man Gaming. Or at least it has been since Sunday, when I purchased mine.

It is unfortunate but it is a collectors edition, and the game is still awesome. I'm more upset about the cash shop in general.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I have to admit, I bought the ImpEd even though I have no intention of rolling Imperial ever...  I bought it so that I would have the ability to make on too... Yeah it does kinda suck.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I am going to buy the imperial box,its worth it if you think their is only going to come another ESO in maybe 10 years.

the horse is great and ill play the imperial for sword and shield xp bonus.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

This is how all CE's should be. Something others cry about because they didn't want to pay the extra $20 for the goodies. Most CE's are a complete waste. This one is worth the price. So I have not issues with it.

They decided to try to decrease the crying by allowing you to pay the extra $20 after launch for the same CE perks. I have no issue with that. The extra horse was the trial on what people will buy. I don't think they should have added that, even though both the CE and purchase horse have lower stats that what the in game horses will have.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

I voted no.

The main reasons why I am passing on the game is the pre-orders. The race alone is bad enough because its a F2P pay wall, but the complete betrayal of the base game designed race/faction lock was made pointless with their offers.

Now I question the entire design of closing off the faction lands since its now pointless.

A pre-order is supposed to be perks, not this type of content, and they are trapped by it now. They cant reverse it or offer it to everyone later without betraying those that pre-ordered, so TESO will forever be the first subscription game with a F2P paywall. The door has been kicked open and most if not all future sub games is going to have pay wall content.

So, congrats to everyone that pre-ordered and game the gaming world to OK to take it to the next level of Sub based games with full F2P style cash shops.

Pay for locked content for while still having to pay for subs.

P.S. Yes I am aware of STO having done it, I am also aware that STO was a generic POS that went F2P quickly. So, unless you want to compare TESO to a crap game by a crap company, don't bring it up as a defense for what you really know was a stupid move by Zenimax and a danger to the future of the genre turning Sub games into sub+nickel&dime games.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Tbau

I voted no.

The main reasons why I am passing on the game is the pre-orders. The race alone is bad enough because its a F2P pay wall, but the complete betrayal of the base game designed race/faction lock was made pointless with their offers.

Now I question the entire design of closing off the faction lands since its now pointless.

A pre-order is supposed to be perks, not this type of content, and they are trapped by it now. They cant reverse it or offer it to everyone later without betraying those that pre-ordered, so TESO will forever be the first subscription game with a F2P paywall. The door has been kicked open and most if not all future sub games is going to have pay wall content.

So, congrats to everyone that pre-ordered and game the gaming world to OK to take it to the next level of Sub based games with full F2P style cash shops.

Pay for locked content for while still having to pay for subs.

P.S. Yes I am aware of STO having done it, I am also aware that STO was a generic POS that went F2P quickly. So, unless you want to compare TESO to a crap game by a crap company, don't bring it up as a defense for what you really know was a stupid move by Zenimax and a danger to the future of the genre turning Sub games into sub+nickel&dime games.

You know that the only one hurting from your priciple is you yourself and you? 

I think its not the best thing they could have done,  but i stopped caring about this stuff along the way.... As long as i am having fun, its okay with me, and the moment its not fun anymore... I move on.

my true complaint with the i perials is the fact that they use Breton looks for the Imperial, for that money they really should have added a specifiic set of militaristic imperial hair uts and some typical imperial tatoos..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I don't think it should be locked into a collector's edition.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You know that the only one hurting from your priciple is you yourself and you? 

if you are not sticking to your principles, then they are not principles. I am not a weak hypocrite. if I believe in something, I stand by it.

TESO is only a game, I am not hurt at all by not playing it. The market is vast and there are plenty of choices out there with so many good ones on the way. The very idea of supporting a game that is turning subscription based games into a sub + nickel and diming...no ****ing way. No game is worth that.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

The bottom line is that making games is a business.  They are in this for profit.

I don't begrudge the company the ability to make money as I will spend my money with them as long as they make a good game and I feel like I'm getting a good value for my money.  I'm glad they have something worthwhile as part of the collectors edition.

I think it was a great business decision.  It's not unbalancing and for the most part it's cosmetic.  It doesn't affect the game play of those who don't buy it.

Entitlement mentality.  Wah wah..I subscribe, I should have everything.  It's the same for people to cheap to pay a subscription.  They just think they deserve a good game and to have it for free.  You want a game that will be around for a long time, that puts out expansions, that delivers content and updates. Grow up, get a job, and pay for a game or service you want.

Hey, if they had a more expensive edition which offered something more, and I thought it was worth it..  I would buy that as well.

EDIT:  Look.  If you don't like what you see, then vote with your dollars.  Don't buy it.  But realize by making your decision, you have had your say.  It's not your job to tell others how to spend their money.  It may frustrate you, but lots of people feel this is okay.

Just look at the poll results and the number of collector's edition sold.  You may not like it but other people are voting with their dollars and they support buying the collectors edition.