Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we stop claiming 12 million WoW subs can't be wrong?

ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Can we please stop claiming their are 12 million WoW subs that cannot be wrong? We all know they haven't had 12 million subs for quite sometime. They've been on a downward trend for awhile with the occasional spike that doesn't seem to last long. In the last four years they've lost over four million subs. That's just concurrent sub numbers. That doesn't include all the people who have abandoned the game for greener pastures. That's just what their concurrent peak sub numbers have dropped by.

If 7.8 million people cannot be wrong just because of their sheer quantity than how can you explain the total numbers of players who have ever played WoW that have moved on being wrong? afterall there would be more of them than what is left of WoWs concurrent sub number and probably even a lot more than their peak.

I won't even go into how WoW triumphs up it's sub numbers in Asia as I don't think I need to. All that should need to be said, is it's not 12 million anymore and even if it was, even more people would have tried the game at some point and left. So please lets stop claiming this nonsense.

Comments

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    So whats this about?
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    So whats this about?

I was just reading the forums and I ran into someone saying it. I wouldn't bother writing this if it wasn't said frequently.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Games are media and media success is decided by viewers or in the case of games, the amount of people who play them.

So to answer your request?

no.

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Fine, 8 million wow subs can't be wrong. It's still many times more then any other western mmo. 
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    You were supposed to mention McDonalds
  • fhnw1988fhnw1988 Member Posts: 64

Its easy as it is.

Even League of Legends has over 50million accounts worldwide. Because the timing was perfect when they climbed that market ( same with WoW). Even if we would have new and better mobas- we would stick to LoL because we had fond memories and know already the system there.

The same is with WoW, those players are to lazy to change to other games and start from beginning. And i wouldnt thrust those made up numbers.China pays per hour, they dont have monthly sub there.  Another reason is that WoW has the most content in any mmorpg history so far. You wont find more value for that money.

Whatever the reason might be for WoWs success or any other successful game, you should never join a game because of pure success- always think indipendent- look outside the box also ,not only  inside. Chose wisely, its your LIFE its your time- always compare with other things- then chose.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    True!last tally was 7 million and that was counted before the awesome infamous son,the awesome blizzard own moba or titanfall
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540

I would not use propaganda technique "NN persons cannot be wrong". yes, they can, be it 12 millions or 250 millions or 2 billions. History is full of examples.

Second thought I would reject "how can you explain the total numbers of players who have ever played WoW that have moved on being wrong?".

My point is: there is no such thing as "the best game". there is only "the best game for me".

Example: I used to play game A, because it is my style game, I felt happy there. Later, I decided to try game B, because it fits my style. Result - I play only game B. When was I wrong? When I chose game A? No, because these days were great and shiny. When I chose game B? No, because these days are great and shiny. The truth is, for some time game A was best for me and currently game B is best for me.

That's all and simple.

Originally posted by free2play

Games are media and media success is decided by viewers or in the case of games, the amount of people who play them.

no.

You could have atleast refused to stop claiming WoWs players "cannot be wrong" as a real number (7.8mil) rather than outright refusing my request of it's now defunct peak (12mil) but even than you would be ignoring the fact that more people have decided not to play WoW than are still playing WoW. Again they are down 4 million from their peak, that's far from all the people who have played it and decided there are better ways to spend their time.

That said anything on mass does not give a good insight into the complete story and I will concede that WoW still has a relatively large player base even if ignoring the triumphed up numbers. Again than though, if 7.8 million cannot be wrong than how do you explain the even larger number that have left being wrong? The easy way to explain it would be to admit that vague macro figures don't explain the entire situation but that would require redefining what you regard as successful media.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by ozmono

no.

You could have atleast refused to stop claiming WoWs players "cannot be wrong" as a real number (7.8mil) rather than outright refusing my request of it's now defunct peak (12mil) but even than you would be ignoring the fact that more people have decided not to play WoW than are still playing WoW. Again they are down 4 million from their peak, that's far from all the people who have played it and decided there are better ways to spend their time.

That said anything on mass does not give a good insight into the complete story and I will concede that WoW still has a relatively large player base even if ignoring the triumphed up numbers. Again than though, if 7.8 million cannot be wrong than how do you explain the even larger number that have left being wrong? The easy way to explain it would be to admit that vague macro figures don't explain the entire situation but that would require redefining what you regard as successful media.

I don't care.

No.

Originally posted by Lithuanian

I would not use propaganda technique "NN persons cannot be wrong". yes, they can, be it 12 millions or 250 millions or 2 billions. History is full of examples.

Second thought I would reject "how can you explain the total numbers of players who have ever played WoW that have moved on being wrong?".

My point is: there is no such thing as "the best game". there is only "the best game for me".

Example: I used to play game A, because it is my style game, I felt happy there. Later, I decided to try game B, because it fits my style. Result - I play only game B. When was I wrong? When I chose game A? No, because these days were great and shiny. When I chose game B? No, because these days are great and shiny. The truth is, for some time game A was best for me and currently game B is best for me.

That's all and simple.

I agree with you. I'm just saying for people who use the logic that "NN persons cannot be wrong" because they subscribe than it's a massive oversight not to see that even more people have left. If the quantity of numbers determines who is correct and there is a correct answer (As is implied when someone say 12 million WoW subs cannot be wrong) than their own logic dictates that they shouldn't play WoW. I don't use that logic in a counter example because I think it is good logic, rather I use it to poke holes in the statement which I'm sick of hearing.

no.

I don't care.

No.

But you feel the need to post here twice and to tell me you don't care? 

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Yeah, yeah... Except that it's all about perspective. You post from your own perspective and that's great, but many people here are able to understand other point of views and post from another perspective.

A perspective from which "12 millions wow subs can't be wrong" is from the gaming company perspective. If the dudes playing WoW say "we want our characters to have wings" then you can bet that their chars will have wings in the next patch.

As for the examples of history and right/wrong, history is always written by winners (stronger) and so is the notion of right and wrong (defined mostly by society) - but if history had taken a different path at a few key moments, you probably would be thinking that the "wrong" is "right" today.

Oh yeah, and also there is what is individually best versus what is collectively acceptable, could WoW be any different and still garner that many subscribers? So was it as close as possible to the lowest common denominator / general consensus? Possibly.

Originally posted by askdaboss

Yeah, yeah... Except that it's all about perspective. You post from your own perspective and that's great, but many people here are able to understand other point of views and post from another perspective.

A perspective from which "12 millions wow subs can't be wrong" is from the gaming company perspective. If the dudes playing WoW say "we want our characters to have wings" then you can bet that their chars will have wings in the next patch.

As for the examples of history and right/wrong, history is always written by winners (stronger) and so is the notion of right and wrong (defined mostly by society) - but if history had taken a different path at a few key moments, you probably would be thinking that the "wrong" is "right" today.

I don't write this because I dislike WoW. I do dislike WoW but that's not why I write this. I'm just sick of BS statements aimed at bringing more sheep into their flock. The fact that WoW has a high sub rate shouldn't be relevant in a discussion about if WoW is a good game. If you think it's a good game, fine but explain why rather than just say it's good because it's popular. If it's a discussion amongst game developers and how future games should be modeled than it becomes slightly more relevant but as I've already said broad macro figures don't tell the whole story, not even in that scenario.

History isn't written by the masses though is it? Hell modern day history isn't always even written in a favourable manner towards the victor. There are lots of historians who have based their work on telling hard truths about the victors. History is simply an incomplete record of events and too often it is confused with popularized editorials. That's beside the point though. The point was history is full of examples where the majority or masses have got it wrong. Wrong is subjective but lets use WWI as an example, the masses celebrated in the streets when war was announced but they sure as hell won't celebrating later on and were glad when it was over.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Just a suggestion, but if I wasted time to respond to everything I read on a internet forum that I didn't like or agree with I wouldn't be able to get anything done.
    Originally posted by Zeddakis
    Just a suggestion, but if I wasted time to respond to everything I read on a internet forum that I didn't like or agree with I wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Good suggestion but wasting time is what I'm doing for now. I'm bored at the moment and I thought I'd make a contribution to the forums where I've been attempting to kill my boredom.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    So whats this about?

I was just reading the forums and I ran into someone saying it. I wouldn't bother writing this if it wasn't said frequently.

Are you sure about that?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Taste in games can't be wrong can it? If 8 or 12 million people like a game, how can they be wrong?

12 million people can't tell you if something is good for you, that should be a no brainer by now.

Originally posted by lizardbones
    So whats this about?

Are you sure about that?

Something wrong with my browser so I cannot link the thread where I read it last. However the thread at the time of writing this is still on the first page. It's called "Insofar as MMOs are themeparks WoW is the best" Only have to go to the second post to see someone claim it. I've heard it several times though. Not that I'm going to dig up all the post, the most recent one is all I can be bothered doing. And no I wouldn't bother writing this if it was the only time I've read the sentiment.

Originally posted by StonesDK

Taste in games can't be wrong can it? If 8 or 12 million people like a game, how can they be wrong?

12 million people can't tell you if something is good for you, that should be a no brainer by now.

Well you'd think so but it isn't a no brainer for some. Even after I took the time to write about it and some other people added to it it wasn't even a no brainer for everyone in this thread. Granted I'm a crappy writer but still, it isn't rocket science.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

I wonder how many sub wow have now since 8 millions was old data now.

And i more interest in the number sub of WOW between NA and China

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Who cares lol. If you like it play it if you don't then don't play it.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    Originally posted by OhhPaigey
    Who cares lol. If you like it play it if you don't then don't play it.

I wish I could report such post. No one is forcing you to read this if you don't care. If you don't care than don't post. I care about the quality of conversation and so I post. I'm not trying to persuade anyone that WoW is a bad game.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Interest and try to search info about wow subs and i can't dig out much.

And a lots question about true number of subs.

For example in Chinese version , player buy game (key/code) and get 66h to play and it count as one subs,

if the player drop before use up 66h then how long they not count as subs .

And how many of that kind of subs in 12 mil (now is 8 mil) .

I think the right number of subs of WOW are NA + NA/2 (true chinese number of subs) Or even just the number of NA subs are true number.

And if you use the logic "large number can't be wrong"

China have 100 millions MMOs players and let say half of the subs of WOW at it gold are 6 millions come from china then how can 94 millions wrong when 6 million right .

....ummmmm ... i think i need more info , hope someone willing to share , i can't dig more that just the number that everyone ready known.

• ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68

o god, again?  If you're not a wow player why bother  whining about subs on a game u dont play?

and if you are, why are u whining that so many people still play?

even if they had 20 million or 4million players subbing, guess what? it doesn't matter, at all.

I still dont get why people get all up in someone's face when they're talking about game subs and longlivety about games.

same with TESO - 6months and FTP, that's what i see all around the forum, but guess what? None of the subs games have will affect ANY of u.

( and if u play i dont see the pointing in stating SUBS about the game u play, it's not like u are praying to jesus on a sunday afternoon in church )

This discussion has been closed.