Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Faction and race

NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222

I know this has been talked about before but I still wanted to get this out. The fact that pre orders can chose any race in any faction really takes away the faction pride / pros and cons upon picking a faction. It makes me care less about the story and not familirize with my faction, and ESO is supposed to be story driven.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    thats the only reason i am not buying the game. I really want to, but i wont support that greedy practice. My wallet speaks louder than them.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    From a lore perspective it makes absolutely no sense to lock factions to different groups. It also doesn't make sense in any way with common sense. Lets call it for what it is, an excuse to shoehorn 3 faction PvP. Players will naturally gravitate in way where the primary faction members will still be more present than others. I would support letting players unlock making cross faction characters once they accomplish a certain task. I suspect despite whatever they say, we will see a store option to create cross faction characters.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by DeanGrey
    From a lore perspective it makes absolutely no sense to lock factions to different groups. It also doesn't make sense in any way with common sense. Lets call it for what it is, an excuse to shoehorn 3 faction PvP. Players will naturally gravitate in way where the primary faction members will still be more present than others. I would support letting players unlock making cross faction characters once they accomplish a certain task. I suspect despite whatever they say, we will see a store option to create cross faction characters.

im sure that was their idea from the very beginning. Tie the unlocks to preorders only and later after launch sell the unlock for more money. So much potential in this game killed by bad management. They want to be like EAWARE.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

To me, faction pride comes from picking the faction you choose to "bro" with, not the race you play in it.

By your logic, it should've been utterly wrong to be the Nerevarine in Morrowind as anything else but a Dark Elf.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by rojo6934
    thats the only reason i am not buying the game. I really want to, but i wont support that greedy practice. My wallet speaks louder than them.

the greedy practice of selling the game? they aren't charging more for it.

• AvulAvul Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by DeanGrey

It does make sense. There are always refugees who are "switching sides". There are also some cross-faction NPCs (for example the female Orc innkeeper at the AD faction starter area). It's just like in real life. Not everybody who's fighting for or living in a certain country is also "born" there. Pride should come from the faction itself.. not the race. You're fighting for specific ideals! It's great for roleplaying. You have to explain why an Orc is joining a group of Altmer and Bosmer for example. In my eyes it's a good idea to lock that behind a pre-order status. It creates an artificial proportion of typical races and races from other factions. Not everybody who is pre-ordering will switch sides. I will play an Orc on DC although I'm pre-ordering.

Elite: Dangerous - Space Exploration & Trading.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Faction pride is not something that you can really apply to this game all that easily, in DAoC it was a combination of Server, Guild, and the Realm v Realm combat, there were familiar faces you would see in PVE that were practically legends in the PVP, mostly it was the Guilds themselves that inspired it, but the link between PvE and PvP was solid, the same people you saw in PvP were the ones you encountered also in PvE, there was a huge amount of 'bragging rights' and when your Guild achieved something in DAoC, then the other players on the server usually knew about it, and thats something that just won't be possible in ESO, because the link between PvP and PvE is disjointed, people you meet in PvE you might never meet or play alongside in PvP, and vice versa. In order to have 'Faction Pride' mean something, then it has to have some kind of meaning outside of Cyrodiil, and the link between Cyrodiil and the rest of the world, particularly with areas as seperated as they are, is weak, very weak.image

What race is in which faction is pretty much a zero sum issue compared to that really.image

• Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

Are people just coming up with random crap now to try put this game down?

what on earth does being able  to pick any race on any faction mean there's no sense of loyalty. Surely fighting for the faction you choose is enough.

how stupid would it be if you could only pick certain races for each faction? Threads like this wind me up, almost as stupid as the thread that doomed the game because you couldn't swim underwater.....

• DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Are you serious that this is the only reason you are not buying the game. That's crazy!! especially as your wallet unfortunately cannot be heard by them.

You are going to deprive yourself of some fun just because ZOS have allowed there to be a limited number of traitors and mercs in each faction. If they let everyone be any race on any faction maybe you would have a better point, though still not really good enough to be the only reason not to play. However traitors and mercs are a fact of life so allowing pre orders to play traitors or mercs no biggy honestly!!

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222

Well it does make sense that there always will be groups that decide not to fight for their faction/ they chose to leave. It may just be cuz of their decision of making it pre order only, instead of actually introducing quests in the later game giving that option.

Also to correct myself, faction pride may be hindered by the megaserver as you'll always face random ppl out in the world where 1 zone has tons of instances. But thats what happens when you have millions playing the game, unlike "the old" days where one could establish a community and see familiar unknown players out in the world.

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Good grief! what a nitpicking thread. I would assume they have enabled it to give players the chance to play together, yet have the race that they want to play. I want a wood elf thief - my wife wants a Breton so one of us must change faction - not a problem seeing how this is designed for entertainment. Check out any conflict and you will find mercenaries, sympathisers (uk) and all sorts. It's not a problem, it aids players enjoyment and lifts a restriction. Even in EQ2 you could swap sides - bit of a headache though.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Nacario

I know this has been talked about before but I still wanted to get this out. The fact that pre orders can chose any race in any faction really takes away the faction pride / pros and cons upon picking a faction. It makes me care less about the story and not familirize with my faction, and ESO is supposed to be story driven. 

It makes you care less about the story, even though it in no way harms or contradicts the story?  Interesting logic.  The factions are political, not racial.  Add to that, narratively speaking there is only one player character, and the player character has no apparent memory of his/her life prior to waking up in the cell in Coldharbour.  No memory means no loyalties or cultural baggage, which means no reason for the character not to simply side with whichever faction's lands he ends up in when he leaves Coldharbour, regardless of race.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

I'll be one of the most loyal Argonians on Daggerfall lol.

Changing faction is unthinkable once I've decided on one to play for... not even tried the other faction areas.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Gah... Yeah man, this topic is getting pretty old. Lock thread, please.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Agreed - but it won't change.  I disagree with quite a few of their decisions over the last couple months actually, but oh well.  i can accept it and still have a lot of fun playing or boycott the game because I don't agree with everything they do and keep searching for that perfect mmo in vain for the rest of my life bored and miserable. 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Them allowing racial unlocks was the one thing that made me consider buying the game at all.   It was a BS mechanic that they ported in from DAoC, without regard to the Elder Scrolls background.   It's not innovative, it was a cookie cutter move.  The rest of the world they've created doesn't even support it. (ie the NPCs that aren't 'race locked').

When you want to play online with your friends, and there's a history of preference in who you play, you really don't want the game design to get in the way.   They heard that one loud and clear.   The worrying part is that they didn't get it earlier in develoopment.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nacario

Also to correct myself, faction pride may be hindered by the megaserver as you'll always face random ppl out in the world where 1 zone has tons of instances. But thats what happens when you have millions playing the game, unlike "the old" days where one could establish a community and see familiar unknown players out in the world.

In PVP, where it matters, you will always be fighting with the same friends against the same enemies for as long as you want - they function exactly like servers... Some people get confused over the "90 day reset" thing - that's just the scoreboard, everything else stays exactly the same. it'll just be a bit more diluted with turncoats now but I'd be willing to bet you the majority will still be faction-appropriate.

I have the ability to play any race anywhere and am still planning a Bosmer Nightblade and Altmer Sorcerer as my first 2 characters in the Dominion.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Them allowing racial unlocks was the one thing that made me consider buying the game at all.   It was a BS mechanic that they ported in from DAoC, without regard to the Elder Scrolls background.   It's not innovative, it was a cookie cutter move.  The rest of the world they've created doesn't even support it. (ie the NPCs that aren't 'race locked').

I would fully support faction lock.  If they supported faction lock.

With guilds, it is account bound,  and you can create characters with different factions.

This is what DAOC did right.  You couldn't create a character with a different faction on the same account, because it MATTERED!  RvR was something that people took seriously.  And having all the same realm's classes per server per account was an important mechanic.

But with joining multiple guilds, with multiple factions, it will be hard to take RvR very seriously, since there will be "spies" of opportunity just by eavesdropping in their guild channel.

So they should just unlock the racial limitations in the factions, and I think they will.... 5 million copies pre-sold (a guess) that means that everyone will be able to choose their own faction anyways... or they will put it in the cash shop.

• Mayor_HaggarMayor_Haggar Member Posts: 12
    Way I reckon, if most people do not pre order and unlock factions then those that do pre order just represent the fact that there probably would have been a few individuals of different races joining with the faction they felt has a rightful claim to Cyrodil
  • leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319
    Does the lore say anything about immigration during this time period? They could easily get away with it by citing immigration. There were a lot of non-Norns living in Skyrim in the third era, but this game takes place during the second era so...

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Fusion

To me, faction pride comes from picking the faction you choose to "bro" with, not the race you play in it.

By your logic, it should've been utterly wrong to be the Nerevarine in Morrowind as anything else but a Dark Elf.

this

I'm sorry some people can't have pride in their faction based on the people and guilds in their faction as well as the achievements that their faction and can only have faction pride because some writer/game designer said that "these are the factions and their races"

The real issue is only allowing players who pre-order that luxury.

And as Fusion points out, if races had strict places in the world then an argonian could never have been the Dragon Born or a Khajitt could never have been the Nerevarine.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo