Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not instances phasing then....

Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

One hint I don't understand is this big emphasis on phasing to give you a sense of adventure, yet when your questing, you can see every man and his dog running around doing the same quest.

wtf is that about?

Comments

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    You are not the sole adventurer, there are many adventurers.  When the gold rush happened, do you think one person went for it?  Or were there thousands of people that participated?
  • NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125

They do, you only see the first 50 players in a city or near a quest giver, the rest are in other instances. If they did not, you would NEVER see the quest givers as there would be 50,000+ of players there.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

To put it simple. Every quest has it's stages like i.e. first free prisoners, then raid the main gate of some castle, then take care of injured during this raid and so on. Obviously surroundings change while place where the action is may be still the same. It simply would be weird to see at the same time freed prisoners running around while you have done it long time ago and they are free.

Phasing solves it by putting all players that are at the same stage of the quest in the same phase. You will see players completing your current objectives but you won't see players completing different objectives of the same quest line. Same as in WoW - just used on much larger scale here.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

There was one case where I was competing for mobs with other players for a while, wondering the same thing as you.  I guess a lot of people are on your step of the quest that end up doing that to you.   As you progress after launch I'm sure you'll see less of those people screwing up your quests.

The only question I had about that, was if you got to end game, and you completed every single quest in the game and others did not, will you still be able to see them all?     I would think you could, but it is kind of weird how phasing works, and not all of it has ben fully explained yet I think.

• Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

Does no one else think it's silly to be able to see everyone who's on the same step as you in the quest, if your not grouped with them.

i personally think they should of gone old guild wars style with this game

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Kasp3r

Does no one else think it's silly to be able to see everyone who's on the same step as you in the quest, if your not grouped with them.

i personally think they should of gone old guild wars style with this game

god no. that would destroy any chances of ESO becoming succesful. You see, everyone liked GW but yet nobody played it.

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

To be fair they go as far as naming other players NPC companions just generic mercenaries or soldiers etc when you're all around the same quests. It would be a lot less immersive with a load of Lyris Titanborns or whatever running around heh

Why would someone in need of help just pick 1 random stranger to help them rambo save a village or whatever? More than likely they would ask for any friendlies around to pitch in.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    They should just give people their own instances for the questing game. That way people can't get in the way of your quests. When you want to PvP it could queue you into a battleground then you wouldnt have to see or hear anyone while playing.

For example, can't remember what quest it was but the one where you gotta find some guy possessed and you need to go into this underground temple and push the stones on the pillars in the correct order.

while I was down there, there was 30 other people running around pressing these stones and I stopped and thought to myself, "wtf is going on here, hoes this immersive"

Originally posted by Jimmydean
    They should just give people their own instances for the questing game. That way people can't get in the way of your quests. When you want to PvP it could queue you into a battleground then you wouldnt have to see or hear anyone while playing.

Then you get people complaining, "where's the mmo?"

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Yeah it can be annoying when you get some nice quest to defeat some king of werewolves in the past with fire only to find he has been blitzed before you even got there but it completes the quest :P
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Kasp3r

Originally posted by Jimmydean

Then you get people complaining, "where's the mmo?"

Well sadly those people will find that they have picked the wrong game if they want an MMO. Every game can't cater to people that want to play with others. Single players are the majority now and if gaming companies are following the trends they will provide quality solo content with little to no interference from others.