Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 million registered beta users! 10 million users by end of year.

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    Originally posted by Dealdrick

Aren't you ignoring some other big events for MMOs this year?  Wildstar will prolly launch by this fall, WoW's next expansion, possible western release of Arche Age; all of these events will pull players from ESO.  This is also assuming a smooth launch, fixed quest bugs and functional PvP.  With so many options coming down the pipe, the first impression of ESO will be huge.....

These two games upcoming will compate with ESO's 2-3 million PC gamers and the ones that migrate to ESO from other games.  Both of these games will not be on console and will not be competing for those players.  So the impact will be small felt.

I couldn't possibly project how many out of those 2-3 million will leave, but that's where the retention rate comes in.   Will ESO do whats needed to reteain the 2-3 million initial MMO PC gamers?  It will be something to see.  I think the announcement of housing and a PVE Cyrodiil might be needed to hang onto a lot of those subscribers against Arch Age.

I have my personal views on both Archage and Wildstar and their pull from ESO, I think Arch Age will be the biggest threat to ESO, but Idk how big of a threat that will be, remains to be seen closer to that date. Wildstar has a minimal effect because of the big differences in age groups both games are aiming for.

Archage will most likely take from ESO, and Wildstar will most likely take from EQ Next.

One sentence shoots apart your logic: Populations are not separate.

Here's another though for good measure: MMOs have rarely worked on consoles for any amount of time outside of Asia.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Here's another though for good measure: MMOs have rarely worked on consoles for any amount of time outside of Asia.

To me that remains to be seen, theres no real way of finding that out yet.  That is why I said it was a personal view on populations

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Funny thing is there never is any actual proof of "How much money WOW makes in a year " ....I've been looking since 2008 and have not see anything showing the actual profits from WOW ....some things just make you hmmmmm when no proof can be found .

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130508006734/en/Activision-Blizzard-Announces-Better-Than-Expected-Quarter-2013-Financial

Not that hard to find. Remember a big company like Blizzard can not just lie to its investors and shareholders and get away with it. It is a very serious offense. 

Actually that didn't do one thing for me as far as telling me the amounts of money WOW brings in ....it shows Activision makes much more money from console games than pc games by subscription terms but the actual money made by WOW itself is still  a mystery

To me that remains to be seen, theres no real way of finding that out yet.  That is why I said it was a personal view on populations

Nope, mouse and keyboard are you standard control interfaces for a MMORPG like ESO, a controller works but only so far, and while by what I hear the PS4 can support keyboard and mouse (and the Xbone I assume) you also have to keep in mind one rather catastrophic fact about those two consoles: their populations will be separate from each other AND the PC one by what I know so yeah your prediction and entire logic train is DOA.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by ozmono
    This thread is exactly why I was trying to stay away from ESO subforums in the lead up to launch. Over excitement and over support to the point of being delusional. I saw the thread title pop up and I couldn't resist seeing the rest of it for myself. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad, especially the part where the OP agrees with himself. On the plus side he seems to be one of the only people doing that, so a little credit is due to the other ESO fanboys I suppose.

so what about the countless negative posts that are just as ridiculous as this?

sure this thread is no better than those but this is just one thread and i haven't seen too many others like it.

if i was to make a thread claiming ESO will only have 10k subs a month after launch i bet there wouldn't be the same uproar you see over this post.

i also bet many would agree with me lol

The opposite end of the spectrum is another good reason to stay away. That is what I've done for the most part, so I'm in no position to claim which is worse nor do I want to open that can of worms. It's the same deal every major launch. Lots of "fans and haters" battling it out in a pointless war of words.

Nope, mouse and keyboard are you standard control interfaces for a MMORPG like ESO, a controller works but only so far, and while by what I hear the PS4 can support keyboard and mouse (and the Xbone I assume) you also have to keep in mind one rather catastrophic fact about those two consoles: their populations will be separate from each other AND the PC one by what I know so yeah your prediction and entire logic train is DOA.

I thought you were talking about age populations, my bad.   You are talking about PC and console popluations not being separate.  

I have to say Console ESO is safe on most loss simply because of what consoles have to choose from for MMO's, that may change in the future but it doesn't with ESO.   Xbox One has FFXIV and ESO.   PS4 has FFXIV, ESO and EQ Next coming. 

Not a lot of options, and since a lot of single player RPG fans of Elder Scrolls are very console based, and the fact that Elder scrolls games have already  been made for consoles, the controls will be no different then you seen in the past.  so by you logic that somehow controls have anything to do with an IP that has proven to sell 4-4.8 million previous titles and a 17.2 million Skyrim games on consoles with the same type of controller set up, is DOA.  pardon he pun. lol.

I thought you were talking about age populations, my bad.   You are talking about PC and console popluations not being separate.  

I have to say Console ESO is safe on most loss simply because of what consoles have to choose from for MMO's, that may change in the future but it doesn't with ESO.   Xbox One has FFXIV and ESO.   PS4 has FFXIV, ESO and EQ Next coming. 

Not a lot of options, and since a lot of single player RPG fans of Elder Scrolls are very console based, and the fact that Elder scrolls games have already  been made for consoles, the controls will be no different then you seen in the past.  so by you logic that somehow controls have anything to do with an IP that has proven to sell 4-4.8 million previous titles and a 17.2 million Skyrim games on consoles with the same type of controller set up, is DOA.  pardon he pun. lol.

FFXIV is slowly going F2P, EQ Next will be F2P, ESO is competing in a notoriously counter P2P environment with at least one F2P title with pretty much the same features and quite possibly more.

Sales figures on a SP game mean jack shit for a MMO btw, the community for the SP does not translate 1:1 to a MMO community so kindly blow that idea out your ass, you'll be lucky to get a 10th the community in when ESO is anything but Skyrim or a Skyrim with MMO traits.

Also you make no attempt to deal with the catastrophic issue of population division on their respective platforms and what this means to the endgame PVP (hint if the game get 2 mil subs across all platforms that will be somewhere around 600k people per platform assuming roughly equal distribution, that number is enough if it maintains itself but if it does not ESO will go F2P to stave off the inevitable).

FFXIV is slowly going F2P, EQ Next will be F2P, ESO is competing in a notoriously counter P2P environment with at least one F2P title with pretty much the same features and quite possibly more.

Sales figures on a SP game mean jack shit for a MMO btw, the community for the SP does not translate 1:1 to a MMO community so kindly blow that idea out your ass, you'll be lucky to get a 10th the community in when ESO is anything but Skyrim or a Skyrim with MMO traits.

Also you make no attempt to deal with the catastrophic issue of population division on their respective platforms and what this means to the endgame PVP (hint if the game get 2 mil subs across all platforms that will be somewhere around 600k people per platform assuming roughly equal distribution, that number is enough if it maintains itself but if it does not ESO will go F2P to stave off the inevitable).

Your beef sounds more with pay model then subscribers.  As for the Single Palyer base having nothing to do with MMO's.  While I find it might be half true, you have not seen me put the number at 23 million subs, it is for this reaon that not ALL single playres will play the MMO verison of an IP.  

If you take a look however, we have a Elder Scrolls game none the less, and if you look at past purchases of the game, we have Morrowind of 4 million sales, and Oblivion of 4.8 million sales, while we had 20 million sales of Skyrim,  we can safely say that 4 million of those 20 million Skyrim fans are dedicated Elder Scrolls fans who will follow the trend of buying every single Elder Scrolls game.  

You can also say that of those 20 million Skyrim fans, the ESO game itself has went out of its way to make the game more Single Player then any MMO game in history has done before.   Giving the Single Player the feel of a single player game while also being in an MMO.   For this reason the amount of single plaeyrs drawn to this MMO will be much higher then the past. 

Which gives me a pretty solid 3-4 million ES console gamers will be on launch of PC and Console.

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

This thread is exactly why I was trying to stay away from ESO subforums in the lead up to launch. Over excitement and over support to the point of being delusional. I saw the thread title pop up and I couldn't resist seeing the rest of it for myself. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad, especially the part where the OP agrees with himself. On the plus side he seems to be one of the only people doing that, so a little credit is due to the other ESO fanboys I suppose.

sure this thread is no better than those but this is just one thread and i haven't seen too many others like it.

if i was to make a thread claiming ESO will only have 10k subs a month after launch i bet there wouldn't be the same uproar you see over this post.

The opposite end of the spectrum is another good reason to stay away. That is what I've done for the most part, so I'm in no position to claim which is worse nor do I want to open that can of worms. It's the same deal every major launch. Lots of "fans and haters" battling it out in a pointless war of words.

This thread is exactly why I came to the ESO subforums in the lead up to launch. I want to keep hearing about ESO while laughing at the Lawful Good "White Knights" and the Chaotic Evil "Trolls" duke it out, also the brainless gamer thrown in the middle for some randomity. But I actually couldn't read much of this thread anymore, the poison that comes from the extremes is starting to hurt my brain.

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

Since I'm no longer NDA... I have had access to the PTR beta servers since January.  I spent, hmm, maybe 15 min actually playing the game, total, since I gained access  (I spent 2-3x that screwing around with the race/character creator, lol.)  Terrible looking / feeling combat animations and rather unappealing character models instantly turned me off.  I think knowing that "end game" was basically PvP did not help my desire to try the game any further.

If the adventure zones turn out to be good, I might give it a try when the game goes on sale...but I'll wait until I can get the Imperial edition for under $60, and knowing the game didn't completely fail.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203
    I know how the OP feels. Sometimes in the "Honeymoon" stage, you are in love and think you are going to play it for the rest of your life and think everyone else is going to also. Look, this game has so much attention now because its a ElderScrolls game and its popular atm. Lets be real though. All the people are split onto different platforms and most are probably console players. So the pop will be different on all platforms. Who knows what platform will have good or bad populations. And it will die down real fast with console players seeing they will not continue to pay 2 fees to play the game, plus console players dont just play one game. This wont last as long as you think and by the end of the year it will be far from 10 mil players. I'll say 1 mil between all platforms which will be split up. This game could of been a lot better if they didnt involove XboX into it so PC/MAC could of crossplatformed with Ps4 like finalfantasy is. That would of helped the games population. Spilting the pop up is only going to cause people to get parinoid about which platform will have a dieing population or a good one and that will cause people to just stay away period. Just my thoughts
    Originally posted by azurrei

Since I'm no longer NDA... I have had access to the PTR beta servers since January.  I spent, hmm, maybe 15 min actually playing the game, total, since I gained access  (I spent 2-3x that screwing around with the race/character creator, lol.)  Terrible looking / feeling combat animations and rather unappealing character models instantly turned me off.  I think knowing that "end game" was basically PvP did not help my desire to try the game any further.

If the adventure zones turn out to be good, I might give it a try when the game goes on sale...but I'll wait until I can get the Imperial edition for under $60, and knowing the game didn't completely fail.

That sounds more like a review then a prediction of sub numbers.  However you look at it, when we are talking millions of gamers playing this game,  there will be millions who like, and millions who hate, its a balance of nature, not everyone is going to like the same game, its ineveidable.  What is fact is the numbers of players who are signing up for the games beta, and the amount of hits social networks are getting over this game and the fact It has an IP that represents millions, for every negative, there is an equal positive.

We also live in an age of FPS leading the numbers of playres right now in the MMO world, which is a good sign that not everyone, not even half of the MMO players in the world will like MMORPG's.

• CharuenCharuen Member UncommonPosts: 3

Read about the first 20 pages or so. Just dropping in to say this is hilarious.

I sincerely hope someone remembers to bump this thread back up by the end of the year. 

Originally posted by Manasong

This thread is exactly why I came to the ESO subforums in the lead up to launch. I want to keep hearing about ESO while laughing at the Lawful Good "White Knights" and the Chaotic Evil "Trolls" duke it out, also the brainless gamer thrown in the middle for some randomity. But I actually couldn't read much of this thread anymore, the poison that comes from the extremes is starting to hurt my brain.

It's hard to call them "lawful good" when they shill for themselves, ie the OP agreeing with himself. I don't find it funny either, it's really quite sad that someone feels the need to be so dishonest and blatantly distort things for whatever reason. That said I agree with the poisonous sentiment.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222

!!WRONG!! X box One does not have FFXIV get your facts straight. This article is filled with nothing but hearsay and opinions. If you're going to use facts, PLEASE GET THEM STRAIGHT!

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I don't think this means a lot, i for example played beta for like a hour and got incredibly bored, definitely not getting ESO.

I can't imagine i was the only one.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Hell 50 pages now for this bullshit.

And that for a guy who created his account a month ago and made 600 posts all about sucking it up to ESO.

Give me that damn infraction point but this is the most obvious viral marketing I have ever seen on this site.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

And that for a guy who created his account a month ago and made 600 posts all about sucking it up to ESO.

Give me that damn infraction point but this is the most obvious viral marketing I have ever seen on this site.

You forgot the part where he was agreeing with himself as if he thought he was on an alt account. Even if we take his word for it and he was just talking to himself to bump the thread, it still shouldn't be tolerated. The OP deserves to be reprimanded not you.

Originally posted by Carnicide

!!WRONG!! X box One does not have FFXIV get your facts straight. This article is filled with nothing but hearsay and opinions. If you're going to use facts, PLEASE GET THEM STRAIGHT!

Wow Imagine that, I accidently put FFXIV on the XBOX One also.   Thanks for pointing that out,  and helping prove my point that those two consoles have little to no choice in an MMO, which is why the MMORPG players of the consoles will be playing ESO.   Thank you.

Do not allow yourself to be blinded by fear and anger. Everything is only as it is. -Yuki Urushibara

Originally posted by Carnicide

Wow Imagine that, I accidently put FFXIV on the XBOX One also.   Thanks for pointing that out,  and helping prove my point that those two consoles have little to no choice in an MMO, which is why the MMORPG players of the consoles will be playing ESO.   Thank you.

By that logic anyone who has no choice in game terms will absolutely play the only option in that genre instead of playing another more worthwhile game.

By that logic anyone who has no choice in game terms will absolutely play the only option in that genre instead of playing another more worthwhile game.

You assume that ESO will not be a worthwhile game to MMORPG fans on consoles. ESO lives up to an AAA MMORPG standard that the majority of MMORPG fans on consoles would play which makes it worth while to play on consoles as an MMORPG fan.

Console MMORPG fans have been screaming for an MMORPG to come to PS3 and XBOX 360 forever...    They are finally seeing their dream come true with ESO and a few more future MMORPG titles now coming to the PS4 and Xbox One.   I'm assuming that any MMORPG fans on consoles would rather play ESO as an option then have no options at all.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by VeryDusty

You are missing the point. ESO is expecting many of the subs to come from console players since they are porting to PS4 and Xbox One. That is why the game is so simplified in combat. It doesn't matter what the MMO market is, if they don't capture the console market it is dead. 

This is a ridiculous theory.  When an MMO launches with entirely separate servers for each platform, any one of those platforms "failing" and having it's servers shut down does not necessitate that any other platform do the same.  Both the X-Box One and PS4 versions of the game could tank horribly, and if it has a high number of subscribers the PC version will still be fine.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Dakeru

LOL look at the other side ....there are at least 50 accounts that have said nothing but hate comments since the day they were created about ESO , what's good for the goose is good for the gander .

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Dakeru Hell 50 pages now for this bullshit. And that for a guy who created his account a month ago and made 600 posts all about sucking it up to ESO.   Give me that damn infraction point but this is the most obvious viral marketing I have ever seen on this site.
    LOL look at the other side ....there are at least 50 accounts that have said nothing but hate comments since the day they were created about ESO , what's good for the goose is good for the gander .

lol for sure.

like i said earlier in the thread, if i made a topic claiming ESO would have only 10k subs a month after launch we wouldn't see this kind of anger and backlash over it.

in fact, i bet many "haters" would agree with me. LOL

ya know? it's only cool to post ridiculous and unreasonable topics if they are negative. :)

Originally posted by Dakeru Hell 50 pages now for this bullshit. And that for a guy who created his account a month ago and made 600 posts all about sucking it up to ESO.   Give me that damn infraction point but this is the most obvious viral marketing I have ever seen on this site.

lol for sure.

like i said earlier in the thread, if i made a topic claiming ESO would have only 10k subs a month after launch we wouldn't see this kind of anger and backlash over it.

in fact, i bet many "haters" would agree with me. LOL

ya know? it's only cool to post ridiculous and unreasonable topics if they are negative. :)

Really? The 10k subscribers by the end of the month example? You don't think fans such as the OP wouldn't respond in the same way people have responded to him for blowing it out of proportion in the opposite direction? Both extremes are making their presence felt and there is no denying it even from a semi-neutral standpoint. It's been clear to me for awhile which is the reason I've barely spent anytime in these forums recently despite the game being the most relevant focal point in the genre at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.