Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Level Bow Skills ?

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I played a nightblade  wood elf bow user to level 10 and was under whelmed by the bows effectiveness.

What have any of you experienced at higher levels of bow use that would encourage building the skill....or moving to another weapon ?

Thanks.

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Almost all the bow skills have atleast one morph that's pretty useful.  Don't know what your issue is with it, it's one of the better weapons from top to bottom.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The bow ability Snipe which is unlocked once your bow skill reaches 38, has a 40 meter range. That's 10 more meters than any other ranged ability in the game... and it does very good damage.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• darthblazedarthblaze Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I played a nightblade  wood elf bow user to level 10 and was under whelmed by the bows effectiveness.

What have any of you experienced at higher levels of bow use that would encourage building the skill....or moving to another weapon ?

Thanks.

Well i got 3 positives to bow for you.

1. Poison arrow (morph to Venom arrow) Silences and stuns target for 3 seconds if striking an enemy that is casting.

2. Scatter shot morphs into a greater knockback and knocks you back as well, and disorients target for 6 seconds.

3 Sniper shot morphs into a debuff that reduces healing by 50% for 10 seconds and does massive damage.

Im personally running double bow for both my slots, i love the bow for mobility and range.

I should also add... bow is the only ranged weapon whose abilities use Stamina - Staff abilities all use Magika.

It's a good idea to have a mix of active skills that use magika and stamina

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Iselin
    The bow ability Snipe which is unlocked once your bow skill reaches 38, has a 40 meter range. That's 10 more meters than any other ranged ability in the game... and it does very good damage.

That's good to know.  My highest character has only been level 10 since I wanted to try multiple races/classes in a short amount of time.  I too was very underwhelmed by bows at lower levels.  My damage was very weak compared to destruction staff.  Not that I have any hard data but my kill time was twice as fast.  Staves also felt faster and more fluid than bows but I'm sure that was more of an animation issue. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Bow is op.  Long range, good damage, mobile, support.  If anything the bow will get a nerf before or after release.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Sounds like a small squad of bowmen using voice comms and good discipline can 1-shot called-targets without too much difficulty, specially with the "sticky" aiming...

First weapon/skill nerf in ESO: Bows ?

Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Bow is op.  Long range, good damage, mobile, support.  If anything the bow will get a nerf before or after release.

Probably not.  Weapons abilities in general are a bit underwhelming compared to magic.  If anything your more likely to see underwhelming weapons get better.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

The weapons in the game should act more like a supplement to your abilities.  Not that you couldn't JUST use bow skills, but mixing them with other skills, from other skill lines would be best.  Find the bow skills that you like most, and start looking into other skill lines to fill out your active bar.

As far as bow users being OP.  I'm sure people would start to counter a bowman's tactics.  You'd see a lot of closing abilities, CC abilities, or they'd just send a group of stealther's after you.  You'll be pretty squishy to them I'd imagine :)

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Bow is probably the best weapon against any pure melee enemy.  If you're doing it right, they never even get close enough to touch you.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Lol. If we're going to start nerfing things before the game even releases, let's nerf the DK's Fiery Grip pull ability... I hate that :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I should also add... bow is the only ranged weapon whose abilities use Stamina - Staff abilities all use Magika.

It's a good idea to have a mix of active skills that use magika and stamina

A lot of players miss that I think. I have changed my range weapon to bow for what I think I will run with. I am going Templar and wanting to heal for groups. I thought I would use a destruction staff, but changed to a bow because of the stamina use. Also going sward and board for stamina use and a charge to be able to be in the mix for both damage, blocking, interrupt if needed along with my main heals.

Still thinking about running with both Heavy armor for questing and light for group play, but not sure. But I will be using that bow for sure now for range to save my magicka for heals.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• darthblazedarthblaze Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I love the bow abilities, im honestly not worried about a melee charging me, UNLESS Immovable heavy armor skill doesnt have a cooldown and its cheap to use, no knockback, or stun effects for 8 seconds could be a bow breaker depending on your skills/class

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Thanks.

Check out http://www.esohead.com/calculator/skills#zckX

or similarly. Yes, pretty (pretty) useful lateorn. Really meh in the beginning, yes. The aimed shot with increased range or healing reduction is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally a tough decision!

40m range is huge. 45m range even more. No idea if the +5m +10 attack power will compensate the -47% healing reduction

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Lol. If we're going to start nerfing things before the game even releases, let's nerf the DK's Fiery Grip pull ability... I hate that :)

Heh, for once I agree. Getting pulled down a keep wall is so humiliating.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• R3dGallowsR3dGallows Member Posts: 7

Really? Played roughly until lev 11 or 12 myself - bow using nightblade altmer (I like the look, sue me) and was quite satisfied. Crouch, heavy attack with venom arrow released at the same time as the attack goes off + impale = dead. Was more fun once I got scatter shot and the morph. 
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    The main strongpoint of the bow is getting sneak attacks on the enemy. Ur meant to get the first hit. Thats when it hurts if u hit em from behind
  • BahzBahz Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Remember that weapon damage scales with stamina and magika abilities scale with magika. So also depending on your build if your bow will do alot of dmg or not.
  • Doriangray1Doriangray1 Member Posts: 53
    Venom Arrow never interrupted casting for me...Did anyone else test this?

Rubber duck is incapable of hate.

" The extinction of Rubber Ducks will bring forth the end of our days. "

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Tried a lot of different weapons on my Sorcerer but kept coming back to the bow.  Sometimes just the basic attack was all I needed to take out enemies, leaving me with lots of reserves.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Sounds like a small squad of bowmen using voice comms and good discipline can 1-shot called-targets without too much difficulty, specially with the "sticky" aiming...

First weapon/skill nerf in ESO: Bows ?

And this is exactly why you should never have combined PvE/PvP stats/abilities.  Nothing like a completely unnecessary PvE nerf like this which is solely justified by PvP.     (Obvoiusly this nerf is purely theoretical as this point, but it makes a lot of sense, at least for PvP).

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

BTW...before anyone gives Elikal shit for necroing this thread... it wasn't him. It was necroed by a gold seller advertising his site whose post got deleted.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    What do you guys think of a Bow/Templar combo?
    Originally posted by zimike
    What do you guys think of a Bow/Templar combo?

They're very good.  Vampire bane in particular synergizes really well with a bow.