Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mega server and disjointed group play questions ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

First I would like to apologize for some past negative comments with Elders Scrolls Online.  HOWEVER many problems I've pointed out still holds true, The difference is that I found a LOT of potential with this game.

My friend had done a lot of research with both game play and crating. He proved to me that the skies the limit on how you can easily craft gear for a caster and really make your character unique in abilities to set you apart. This and a beautiful world and dungeons has me totally intrigued.

Myself and two friends decided to wait a few months. Never in my several years experience had a waited for an mmo. Usually I like it or don't, but Elders Scrolls Online has to be an exception. Here is why : 

Mega Server - WoW, where do I begin.  GW2 did this, and our Guild did not take it well.  No one could play together for months because of que times to get on our server.  Finally getting on the server?  Well, just zone anyplace and your back out.  This was a mess for group dynamics.

Last night we were able to play ESO for a short duration.  Instantly we had to play on an off server, however we were able to play together and I don't understand why....Please help ?

Disjointed grouping -  If I tried to explain, it would be full of holes, I just cant explain the problems, but lots of problems, I don't think this has anything to do with the mega servers but on several occasions we would be grouped yet in private instances.  This at times would be from making different choices, and others depending what quest we had in our logs.  Is there a science to this.  Are we missing something ?

Trickery with the payment - Now I have lots of money, but I hate being tricked.  I could take $60 for the game, I can take $15 a month.  BUT A CASH SHOP TOO !........OK  Ill get over that by ignoring it.  Ill blow it off like its not even their.  But what about mounts ?......I think a read someplace that there expensive to buy with in game money and I looked yesterday and they are. Yet you could pay $20 more for the collector's, or pay trough the nose in the cash shop....Is this all true ?

Please help, I spent most of my energy studying Wildstar only to hate everything about it.  And now I'm humbly coming here with my tail between my lags asking for forgiveness :)

Comments

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Well, last night they were specifically testing the overflow servers, so thats probably why you went to one.

From my understanding, if the shard that you are on is full, you get put on a temporary overflow, so you can still play, but you will be able to get back onto your shard once there is space.

I'm not quite sure how the shard selection actually works, but I think its alot more fluid than what GW2 did, since there it seemed more like interconnected servers rather than a mega-server.

The phasing is definately something im concerned about, as well as the fact that you really cant play with other factions, but for some strange reason you can have other factions in your guild.

The cash shop thing?  Eh I survived Sparkle pony in WoW, and for a couple of years after, its no big deal for me.  I did get the imperial edition, but only because I had a 20%off code from greenmangaming, so an extra $4 for a tier 1 mount wasnt that big a deal for me.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

You're confusing sharding, megaserver and overflow.

GW2 has normal server design, but is zoned. Each zone has a max player cap and when that cap is reached, it creates an overflow zone for those that come after, eventually sending thenm back when there's an opening in the original.

TSW has a megaserver, but the actual in-game feel is like normal servers, simply to make "shard/server" bouncing easier. Each zone is like you'd expect, with instances for dungeons, quests, etc, that you can (if said area allows) do it in a group easily.

ESO uses a strange sharding mechanic that in a certain way "instances" your own character (even i don't fully understand). Many people have already talked about how quests will have different outcomes that will be visible in the world. Some might save  the village, but for another it burns down. They're in the same "server" and zone, but sharding allows different players to see different things. Again, that's acording to what i understand.

What makes me even more confused is that ZOS is gooing to had overflow, which i don't understand why considering the current system. Anyway, Zenimax, already admitted that sharding is causing problems with grouping and is trying to fix it.

As for the cash shop, they already admitted they're going to put vanity pets too. Honestly, ever since it was announced it was too be expected they'd start filling it up bit by bit. If that bothers you enough, well, nothing one can do.

• PorkNailsPorkNails Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by delete5230

First I would like to apologize for some past negative comments with Elders Scrolls Online.  HOWEVER many problems I've pointed out still holds true, The difference is that I found a LOT of potential with this game.

My friend had done a lot of research with both game play and crating. He proved to me that the skies the limit on how you can easily craft gear for a caster and really make your character unique in abilities to set you apart. This and a beautiful world and dungeons has me totally intrigued.

Myself and two friends decided to wait a few months. Never in my several years experience had a waited for an mmo. Usually I like it or don't, but Elders Scrolls Online has to be an exception. Here is why : 

Mega Server - WoW, where do I begin.  GW2 did this, and our Guild did not take it well.  No one could play together for months because of que times to get on our server.  Finally getting on the server?  Well, just zone anyplace and your back out.  This was a mess for group dynamics.

Last night we were able to play ESO for a short duration.  Instantly we had to play on an off server, however we were able to play together and I don't understand why....Please help ?

Disjointed grouping -  If I tried to explain, it would be full of holes, I just cant explain the problems, but lots of problems, I don't think this has anything to do with the mega servers but on several occasions we would be grouped yet in private instances.  This at times would be from making different choices, and others depending what quest we had in our logs.  Is there a science to this.  Are we missing something ?

Trickery with the payment - Now I have lots of money, but I hate being tricked.  I could take $60 for the game, I can take $15 a month.  BUT A CASH SHOP TOO !........OK  Ill get over that by ignoring it.  Ill blow it off like its not even their.  But what about mounts ?......I think a read someplace that there expensive to buy with in game money and I looked yesterday and they are. Yet you could pay $20 more for the collector's, or pay trough the nose in the cash shop....Is this all true ?

Please help, I spent most of my energy studying Wildstar only to hate everything about it.  And now I'm humbly coming here with my tail between my lags asking for forgiveness :)

There wont be a cash shop (there are no plans for something like that according to the developers). 

They do provide services that are seen in almost every MMO (P2P, B2P, F2P), name changing for a fee and upgrading your standard version of the game for collectors edition.

There was indeed talk about selling a horse (a brown horse, not white like the collector's) but in the last Q&A that was not mentioned. That white/brown horse wont be the best in game either, its more of a convenience. All collectors edition's have stuff like that, can't see why the QQ about this.

• TaneonTaneon Member UncommonPosts: 53

[quote][b]Disjointed grouping -  If I tried to explain, it would be full of holes, I just cant explain the problems, but lots of problems, I don't think this has anything to do with the mega servers but on several occasions we would be grouped yet in private instances.  This at times would be from making different choices, and others depending what quest we had in our logs.  Is there a science to this.  Are we missing something ?[/quote]

Thats a part of phasing problem and its quite a big problem for a lot of people actualy. The devs said they are cheking some solutions, but it seems like they dont realy know how to fix it, at least at this point. We are all waiting for this fix, because its hella annoying.
    Its basicly that at some points of quests they are phased and noone but you can see that instance. It effectivly means that at this point grious of people cant lvl and advance story/area together without being separated at some points, usualy at key points in story (and ironicaly at rare ocasions this game is hard enough to make you wanna grouop for quest). Its imo the worst part of ESO (which i generaly like).

Cash shop is not ingame, you need to go to your account on their web page. As of now it has upgrade to imperial edition (which comes with tier 1 horse) or to just buy the tier 1 horse, both for the same amount of money, so basicly just to get the horse without imperial upgrade. As of now its not bothersome (at least to me). They will include name change and vanity pets. Honestly if they go further its gonna be a problem for a lot, but as of now ESO is very far from having ingame cash shop ;)
    And btw, if you normaly play the game you can buy a horse in game by lvl 10 and thats if you dont realy try to get a lot of gold. Its the same tier horse with same stats as the one you buy. I got it in my second day of beta...

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Thanks everyone,

So the bottom line with mounts is :

- Buy the imperial for $20 more.

- Buy it out of game $20.

- Buy it with a hell of a lot of in game gold ?

• TaneonTaneon Member UncommonPosts: 53

Thanks everyone,

Yes, yes and no...

it doesnt cost that much (17k is gathered quickly). And besides, you can buy the shitiest of horses... if you want the fastest one you need to get 40k gold and you can't buy that one in shop. So eventualy everyone will get himself ingame bought horse.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by abregar

Thanks everyone,

Yes, yes and no...

it doesnt cost that much (17k is gathered quickly). And besides, you can buy the shitiest of horses... if you want the fastest one you need to get 40k gold and you can't buy that one in shop. So eventualy everyone will get himself ingame bought horse.

Cool thanks abregar,

Ok the only thing for me it to wait a little after launch and see how the mega server is working out :)