Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game population?

Comments

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

It sucks because of how circular the game's problems are. People like you (and others, I'm sure) are turned off to the game because of its problems, but one of the biggest problems is the lack of population. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    30 days of experiencing Darkfall is worth more than a lifetime of any other game.  
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by Holophonist

It sucks because of how circular the game's problems are. People like you (and others, I'm sure) are turned off to the game because of its problems, but one of the biggest problems is the lack of population. 

I know, it's messed up.

I remember when Ryzom was officially having problems and watching the game shut down on their bankruptcy. It was so sad, everyone in the game barely moving because the server didn't have enough oomph to keep going. I'm surprised I didn't cry because we were pitiful in that chat. As bad as someone being broken up with on their knees, just sad. 

I don't mind underdogs but I'm not ready for round 2 of the destruction phase because somehow you take it internally like - why can't other people see the fun that's here. Why are they still playing WOW or whatever other frontrunner you want to blame for their success. It makes you mean about the other games without good reason. Sometimes people just don't want to play the game you do and it sucks.

On a positive note - Ryzom came back from their trouble so it isn't unheard of - never know :D

The good thing is that DFUW is absolutely getting better, slowly but surely. And as bad as it sounds, it seems like there is a minimum amount of people that will kind of just... never quit. As in, DFUW is the only game of its kind and there are enough of us that really like what type of game it is to keep it alive. That's just speculation though as I don't know what AV's profit/loss sheets look like obviously.

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418

The good thing is that DFUW is absolutely getting better, slowly but surely. And as bad as it sounds, it seems like there is a minimum amount of people that will kind of just... never quit. As in, DFUW is the only game of its kind and there are enough of us that really like what type of game it is to keep it alive. That's just speculation though as I don't know what AV's profit/loss sheets look like obviously.

That's obviously not true based on AV's own admission, plus the latest changes hardly seem geared toward the (Western)"core" player.

We will  have a better idea of AV financials in May when InternetQ releases their annual report. But we do know is : AV sold out to InternetQ, have taken out loans, down sized, and reportedly have had troubles paying staff. (stated by AV employees)

I think it's absurd to think DFUW is self sustaining based on the above information.  AV was already having issues and DFUW isn't their only or primary project.

The thing is, AV had their second chance with DFUW and blew it completely in the Western market. (regardless of what improvements trickle in)

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    30 days of experiencing Darkfall is worth more than a lifetime of any other game.  

Pretty sure this was the case for the original Darkfall (which is no more around).

But even if it would be true for DF:UW it can't be recommended for a longer experience ten 30 days and this is what most who start it conclude with.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by ilives

That's obviously not true based on AV's own admission, plus the latest changes hardly seem geared toward the (Western)"core" player.

We will  have a better idea of AV financials in May when InternetQ releases their annual report. But we do know is : AV sold out to InternetQ, have taken out loans, down sized, and reportedly have had troubles paying staff. (stated by AV employees)

I think it's absurd to think DFUW is self sustaining based on the above information.  AV was already having issues and DFUW isn't their only or primary project.

The thing is, AV had their second chance with DFUW and blew it completely in the Western market. (regardless of what improvements trickle in)

Pretty much sums it up.

Darkfall is a "dead man walking" type of game.  There is an extremely vocal minority of people who love the game and they will tell you it is "worth a lifetime" of gameplay and enjoyment when that is simply not true.

Like I said before, the game is worth trying if you have the money to blow on it.  It's just very different than any other MMO out there.  But I would go into expecting that the only enjoyment you'll get is the experience of playing a "different" MMO.  Not to mention the game will be closed by this time next year, so it's not worth investing much time into it.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Today the population was great. I've been pvping from 6pm until 4am straight, with only a 2 hour break in the middle.
  • huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

According to Steam, which I admit isn't infallible, the peak for the last 24 hours was 53 players. In the last 30 days It rarely broke 100 even on weekends. Another month of this and I am afraid it's time to call it.

It's sad but these people just do not know how to manage development or operations even though they are great at game design. They let ego get in the way and prevented them from hiring the right people to handle the business. Too many game companies let developers run the business instead of people with the appropriate education and experience in running companies. For some reason people often think that it's different because it's a entertainment product, but you wouldn't think that a fan of cars would be well suited to take over operations of Ford or Mercedes in place of qualified and experienced auto executives.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

This is hands down 1 of the best hardcore PvP games you will ever play.

Its not good if your softcore as there a lot of work to be done to get ur prowess up and crafting / gathering to make gear sets but beyond the time sink its a pure skill game.

I played for about 6 months had a great time but then I started to get less and less fights each day, and started to only fight same people everyday and got bored population is thsi games biggist downside unfortunetly.

If only it was f2p like the asian version you would get to own newbs all day every day but still as is its a great game but def lacks pop im sure.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Resubbed 2 weeka ago, i played beta and aboit 3 months after launch then got tired of the developers lies. The pop is so low i went about looking for players and found none. Needs to go ftp.
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by huskie77

According to Steam...

The Steamchart numbers are not accurate, and are not endorsed by Steam.
    That's just the numbers of people who play through steam, and honestly I can't name anyone who does.

I was in big fights all day yesterday.

Well, we will see indeed. I don't claim to know anything about their current financial situation. I'm just saying it seems like there is a minimum amount of players, unlike with other games. In other words, AV has an advantage in the fact that they're the only game offering what it offers, so that means that people who REALLY want that type of game will put up with more than they would if there were alternatives.

Also, I think a big problem with the game is the population, which is at least in part due to the awful community that turns people off to the game before they even try it. Hard to say how successful DFUW would be if it weren't for those people.

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418

Also, I think a big problem with the game is the population, which is at least in part due to the awful community that turns people off to the game before they even try it. Hard to say how successful DFUW would be if it weren't for those people.

Oh come on, DFUWs retention rate is horrible.  

Look at the Steam numbers and population now vs beta.  http://steamcharts.com/app/227400

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

Oh come on, DFUWs retention rate is horrible.  

Look at the Steam numbers and population now vs beta.  http://steamcharts.com/app/227400

I didn't say anything about DFUW's retention rate. Also, the fact that numbers are going down (on some steam chart btw which.... whatever) doesn't mean the retention rate is any lower than other games. It could be that other games just have more people coming in to make up for the people they lose.

But either way, I'm not saying anything about DFUW's retention rate. What I am saying is that the awful community IS a problem and we really DON'T know how successful DFUW would be if the community weren't so terrible. I think it's obvious that one of the biggest problems with the game is lack of population, which doesn't really make sense. If the game itself would be fun if more people were playing it, why aren't more people playing it? I wonder if the butthurt vocal vets telling people to stay away from the game are part of the reason?

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    Besides the community. This is another example of how "popular" are ffa pvp games are. No matter how loud they scream why dev doesnt make more games like it..you have a lot of evidences..ffa pvp comunities are less than a niche
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by hulgar
    Besides the community. This is another example of how "popular" are ffa pvp games are. No matter how loud they scream why dev doesnt make more games like it..you have a lot of evidences..ffa pvp comunities are less than a niche

RUST begs to differ. 20k concurrent users where playing 2 hours ago. 

Age of Wushu China - 300k avg concurrent users

Show me a PvE only mmo doing better, and stop telling that lie.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    20k concurrent users is less than nothing.
    An we take into account china?..ok wow..and dont come with pve only crap..pve and consensual pvp..i said ffa pvp..so get your facts straight before talking.
    I know is hard to be a part of a minority..dont worry champ..you will be ok
    Examples just for laughts
    Swtor
    Wow
    FFARR

The only one that is doing good is EVE. I ha e to rekon that..
    And RUST..pfff..seriously?..i mean..pfff..serioisly?..
    Right, but ffarr has 1k concurrent, but rust 20k is nothing. Welcome to 2014, were the world pvp's.

ARR 1k concurrent users?..dude you are delusionnal..seek profesional help
    http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=407719
    Take. Some info so you can be a bit more embarrased now.
    Cherio!!
    You don't know what concurrent means ;)

"In computer science, the number of concurrent users for a resource in a location, with the location being a computing network or a single computer, refers to the total number of people using the resource within predefined period of time"

In newbie terms, concurrent is the number of people on at one time. Welcome to mmorpg.com new guy :p
    So right now today you could say there are 20 times the people playing rust as there is ffarr.
    Rust have private servers..do we count counter strike too?..then i can tell you that private servers of minecraft has more concurrent users than RUST
    If you really think that thare are only 1k concurrent users at ARR..again you are delussional and talking out of your ass
    I concede EVE as the closer to a ffa pvp mmorpg doing good..but it seems that you like to be in evidence. Is up to you tough guy.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by bcbully
    So right now today you could say there are 20 times the people playing rust as there is ffarr.

If your going by the steam numbers which are 1812 on right now for FF14 but they did sell the game and launch it way before it was on steam. Any MMORPG on steam only accounts for the steam users. The numbers are completely inaccurate for overall population. Darkfall, Neverwinter, Secrect World hell the same could be said for any MMO on steam.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/