Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE is heading in the direction of Eve (And that means open world PVP!)

Comments

• BidwoodBidwood Toronto, ONPosts: 554Member
    I'm trolling because you don't like my theory? no. why not move along and let like minded people discuss?

the devs have said a lot about the game but have sworn to secrecy on pvp. I wonder why? because, if my theory is rigjt (which it is) they want to reveal this in a very specific way way and get as many skeptics to try it as possible
  • PednickPednick Oshawa, ONPosts: 28Member Uncommon
    Ah now you mention it's theory not fact, you should've started it like that then it wouldn't appear that you were baiting and trolling. So it just turns out to be your own opinion and just hearsay, so it is wishful thinking on your own part, fine.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

• Trudge34Trudge34 Stevens Point, WIPosts: 392Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    I'm trolling because you don't like my theory? no. why not move along and let like minded people discuss?

the devs have said a lot about the game but have sworn to secrecy on pvp. I wonder why? because, if my theory is rigjt (which it is) they want to reveal this in a very specific way way and get as many skeptics to try it as possible

So how do the battlegrounds mentioned by Smed fit into your "theory" of open world PVP?

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• jcwilsn1jcwilsn1 Madison, WIPosts: 2Member

Originally posted by Bidwood  my theory

Originally posted by Bidwood Except Smedley CONFIRMED that SOE is headed in the direction of Eve Online with PVP. 

One is not like the other.

Anyway, never played open world PVP before. I don't think I would like it, but would probably give it a chance if I had to.

If it is a server ruleset situation, I'll choose my PvE server then.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Lancaster, UKPosts: 2,165Member Uncommon
    Smedley says things to see how people react and if he doesn't like there reaction he backpedals... he just throwing shit out there to see what sticks.
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire AucklandPosts: 211Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Pednick
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire
    If EQN is open PvP myself and my large-ish gaming group will not be playing it.. We were looking forward to it. Too Bad..  

Don't worry it's not, if you watched the youtube presentation with all the devs and videos they showed they mentioned PvE more than PvP [mod edit]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q4nswWwgLEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f6w1BGsgLjQ

Well, Everquest Next may have Open PvP but according to OFFICAL word EQ LANDMARK has no planned PvP

I am not at all interested in EQN only LANDMARK

Discussion Thread
     Response Via Email (TSR Stephanie B.) 03/04/2014 02:54 PM
    Greetings AthenaStarfire,

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. EQNL should not be PVP but this could change you can read more oabout the road map of the game here: https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/eqnl-roadmap.18810/ You do not need a forum account to look at this page. If you have any more questions or concerns, please let me know.

Regards,
    Stephanie B
    Senior Contact at SOE Account, Billing, and Technical Support

Cheers

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,809Member Rare
    If EQN is open PvP myself and my large-ish gaming group will not be playing it.. We were looking forward to it. Too Bad..  

Don't worry it's not, if you watched the youtube presentation with all the devs and videos they showed they mentioned PvE more than PvP [mod edit]

Well, Everquest Next may have Open PvP but according to OFFICAL word EQ LANDMARK has no planned PvP

I am not at all interested in EQN only LANDMARK

Discussion Thread
     Response Via Email (TSR Stephanie B.) 03/04/2014 02:54 PM
    Greetings AthenaStarfire,

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Entertainment. EQNL should not be PVP but this could change you can read more oabout the road map of the game here: https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/eqnl-roadmap.18810/ You do not need a forum account to look at this page. If you have any more questions or concerns, please let me know.

Regards,
    Stephanie B

Cheers

EQN:L PvP Nov  2013 Pre-Alpha

Roadmap Phase 3 PvP 

Stephanie B seems misinformed. There's a lot of references out there. 

Building =/= PvE... 

• AlleinAllein Posts: 2,028Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire Well, Everquest Next may have Open PvP but according to OFFICAL word EQ LANDMARK has no planned PvP I am not at all interested in EQN only LANDMARK *******************************************************      Discussion Thread  Response Via Email (TSR Stephanie B.) 03/04/2014 02:54 PM Greetings AthenaStarfire,

Regards,
    Stephanie B
    Cheers

Not sure what you initially asked the TSR, but an Account, Billing, Tech Support Rep probably not the best source of future development of a game. Besides that, the link you provided and multiple other confirmations are out that EQN and LM will both have PVP in some form.

From the way they've talked about PVP in LM, I'd assume it will be 100% consensual where players can build arenas and other "friendly" type combat things. They could possibly have PVP continents with less restrictions on claims and other fun things, but I doubt it is a major priority at the moment.

Hopefully we'll get a better picture after March when they start rolling out more systems into LM.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Orlando, FLPosts: 136Member Uncommon

no thanks. that type of system caters to griefers - which is exactly what I ran into in Eve before I stopped playing it. Cruise around in HighSec space, mining an asteroid, and some pirate who already has a large negative rep for ganking noobs comes in and 1-shots you because the penalties to him are meh and he is bored and likes to gank new players.

Give this game time and you will see the same thing. You see it in any game that uses this model, even on WoW PVP servers. Then enjoy being corpse camped and killed over and over or prevented from rezing... down this path lies darkness and is of no interest to me. For that reason alone I'd skip this game.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 6,620Member Epic
    If the entire game was heading to open world PvP... forced PvP. I think SoE would have said something by now as that is a direction that hits a very specific and small group compared to people who just like PvE or like a mix bag like WoW where you can pick when to PvP. I still hope they do the controled PvP, like WoW or DAoC. Sometimes I like to relax when I play and just do some PvE or harvest some nodes. I hate PvPing over who gets the tin node. 

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member Uncommon

Landmark - I think it will be flagging/guild type stuff, and I could see having a pvp world/server, but not sure if that would work well.

EQN - I think it will just be classic EQ type servers, maybe along with the type of PvP in Landmark, where you can guild/flag.

I don't see a all pvp, all the time for everyone, no matter what anyone has said, or what anyone has gleaned from a tweet.  I watched panels, and I think the above is going to end up being pretty accurate.  They talked about being able to create scenario type stuff and having battles in it, with destructible content (which, I think you will be able to scale how destructible it is, hp wise and such).

• BidwoodBidwood Toronto, ONPosts: 554Member
    Yes...  my theory has been confirmed by Smedley. I still don't see where the trolling comes into it. But then again with all of the rhetoric about "forced" PVP, I wonder if some people feel like they've been forced to participate in this thread.
    Nothing was confirmed by Smedly, it's a bold faced lie if anything the only thing that is confirmed on the official site is that their will be different specialty servers, PvE, PvP, Role-playing as show on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f6w1BGsgLjQ

Come on people, the OP is clearly trolling and baiting trying to stir things up.

UO failed with PvP only

M59 failed with PvP only

Why? Because it's a bad business model which is mmorpg suicide.

P.S: Even Garriot's "shroud of the Avatar" isn't open world PvP because even he knows that's not a smart business model.

P.P.S: Also not getting baited anymore from this troll thread and this is my last response to this joke of a thread.

Nothing was confirmed by Smedly, it's a bold faced lie if anything the only thing that is confirmed on the official site is that their will be different specialty servers, PvE, PvP, Role-playing as show on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f6w1BGsgLjQ

After watching this video I am not worried about an open world forced PvP situation. Not saying their wont be a server for that as SoE seems to be looking to make servers to cover many play styles. If there isnt a PvE server I will be shocked lol. I personally hope for a server that has an area where you can go to PvP like DAoC but where player/guilds build it themselves.

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member Common
    Yes...  my theory has been confirmed by Smedley. I still don't see where the trolling comes into it. But then again with all of the rhetoric about "forced" PVP, I wonder if some people feel like they've been forced to participate in this thread.

Is this the same kind of "confirmed" where there aren't any actual links and where the "proof" lies in reading between the lines of some very plain statements made by a developer?  Because that's the best kind of proof, I think.

EQN will have PvE, PvP and RP servers.  They aren't going to focus on a single world PvP system like Eve.  Even if they have "one server", there will be PvE, PvP and RP phases or instances.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Is this the same kind of "confirmed" where there aren't any actual links and where the "proof" lies in reading between the lines of some very plain statements made by a developer?  Because that's the best kind of proof, I think.

EQN will have PvE, PvP and RP servers.  They aren't going to focus on a single world PvP system like Eve.  Even if they have "one server", there will be PvE, PvP and RP phases or instances.

I'm not so sure that will be the case with EQN. The are making a sandbox. Emergent game play. Systems like commerce, the transporting of goods. Polotics, territory control and the like. 

On top of that SOE's biggest grossing game is 100% PvP. Planetside 2 has 6 million players. I do not look for them to cater to the "I wont do it" crowd.  You can't build a social sanbox built around "I wont do it.!" it's like a conflict of interest... 

EQN:L is a different story there will most certainly be all types of servers. "Build your own mmo."

In that video they ask gamers to say what type of server would you like. Here is what I want =-)

Faction Server

1. 3 PvP factions you can choose to join

2. All factions can team together for PvE content outside contested map

3. No PvP in PvE areas

4. PvP map that you become flagged when you enter, much like DAoC or GW2 RvR/WvW maps

5. Contested PvP map has Keeps and Castles to take over and defend that effect your faction in a positive way

6. Guild Wars: Contested map has an area that guilds can make fortifications that can be take out by other factions and defended. Must be maintained by the guild.

7. Taking out enough keeps and guild fortifications grant you access to special dungeon

8. Contested map has towns that are quest hubs (dailies) each faction can take over and control to earn special rewards.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Stevens Point, WIPosts: 392Member Uncommon
    I'm still waiting to hear how the mentioned battlegrounds are going to fit into this OW PvP only "theory" that has been "confirmed." 

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member Common
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I'm not so sure that will be the case with EQN. The are making a sandbox. Emergent game play. Systems like commerce, the transporting of goods. Polotics, territory control and the like. 

On top of that SOE's biggest grossing game is 100% PvP. Planetside 2 has 6 million players. I do not look for them to cater to the "I wont do it" crowd.  You can't build a social sanbox built around "I wont do it.!" it's like a conflict of interest... 

EQN:L is a different story there will most certainly be all types of servers. "Build your own mmo."

Sandbox does not equal PvP.  Star Wars Galaxies was a sandbox, or very sandboxy, but it wasn't an always on, PvP everywhere PvP game. 

However, if we're going to look at clues in SOE's statements, let's look at the poll, where one of the specialty server options is "PvP".

https://www.everquestnext.com/round-table?poll=specialty-server-choices-eqn

If "PvP" is a "specialty" option, what is the normal, not specialty option?  Not PvP.  PvE.

SOE is not going to restrict player choice.  They are going to have multiple servers.  Allowing player choice means having PvP servers, certainly.  But it doesn't mean forcing all players into a single rule set.

Of course, as is typical with developers, they aren't really explaining anything in great detail yet.  Maybe all the servers will be "specialty" servers.  Maybe they'll have specialty continents, but one server.  Who knows.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SirBalinSirBalin Joppa, MDPosts: 1,230Member Uncommon
    Read it and weep. I've been a broken record on this, but the writing on the wall says there's going to be open world PVP in a brilliantly executed system like Eve Online. Smedley's blog post covers a lot, but here are some of the highlights: "A lot has been made about how much we’re pushing this concept of “Sandbox” mmos being the future. Not a lot has been said about what that means." "In my opinion the solution is focusing a lot more on letting players make and be content for each other. Battlegrounds are an excellent example of an Evergreen style of content where it’s the players themselves that actually create the content. ... Building systems into the games that let the players interact with each other in new and unique ways gives us the ability to watch as the players do stuff we never anticipated. We’ll see a lot more creativity in action if the players are at the center of it. Imagine an MMORPG of a massive city.. and the Rogue’s guild is entirely run by players. Where the city has an entire political system that is populated by players who were elected by the playerbase." "There’s a great example of this today with Eve Online. It’s a brilliantly executed system where the players are pretty much in charge of the entire game. Sure there is a lot of content for players to do, but anything that’s important in the game is done by the players. This is a shining example of how this kind of system can thrive. Our belief at SOE is that it’s smarter to head in this direction now rather than waiting." Is anyone from the other side of the fence ready to admit this is happening? Edit: Sorry, that was bad form. Here is the blog post: http://smedsblog.com/2014/02/11/the-sandbox-mmo/   Edit:   Me: @j_smedley love the blog. is SOE heading in that direction for PVP too? When will we learn more about that? Fingers crossed. Smedley: @sir_bidwood yes

I'd love that and would die for a large company to make a game like this, however, my guess is they will have pve and pvp servers.  

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• AlleinAllein Posts: 2,028Member Uncommon

Latest Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmneLjMHd_I&list=PL7cdOT0cP_M3szjAEuNRqKqFEeA9UCt1k

While this is for Landmark, I think they are pretty much talking about the same thing as Smedly.

Let players decide what they want to do. If people want to PVP, land and tools will be provided to create something. If people want to avoid PVP, they easily can. Players that want to attack others that don't want to play that way are out of luck.

They've already said they don't want to make "grieferquest." Without really limiting and punishing those that participate, there isn't an easy way to have OW PVP without some degree of "griefing." People will find a way. This seems to go against everything they've said so far.

They want people to have fun, their way, not how the devs want or how other players want.

• AeliousAelious OregonPosts: 3,021Member Uncommon
    Yeah it's a bit of a no-brainer to let people play the way they want and I'm glad SoE agrees, for Landmark that we know of. I'm still certain there will be OWPvP islands and of course claims but with Landmark this means not limiting resources, but maybe content...

Since players make the content in a Landmark there's no reason why structures and nice content wouldn't be build on PvP islands, thus requiring one to go there to see that creation. It's all up to the players.

What's not up to the players is advancement and achievements for activities, which seem where the "progression" is heading for Landmarks final iteration. If this is the case I hope they have a PvP path just as deep and rewarding as the crafting, building ones. No details yet so we'll see.
  • droperdroper aaaaaa, CTPosts: 49Member

Its possible to make the world open pvp and be a pver that does not get involved.

1)players must be worth something to the territory owner and worth protecting. Owners will usually be the more hardcore guilds and alliances. Also they must not be worth killing indiscriminately as in if they die they still contribute to the wealth of the owners but start off producing less if the territory they are on is conquered.  In short you need to make killing as few citizens as possible during a conquest of territory the best strategy with both sides leaving average players that happen to be living on the land alone. If a player decides to join the fight they should stop producing wealth for the territory at all.

2)There needs to be a npc police that defend players or at least help them escape bandits who wish to grief within a range of a police post.

Anyways there is more to it but I will not waste my time writing it out for no one to read. I will write more if someone is interested.