Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1st Wildstar Beta

Charlie12202Charlie12202 Member UncommonPosts: 32

This is my first WildStar beta and I have been following this game for a long time so when I finally got a beta key I was ecstatic!

Sadly, I feel like it's Guild Wars 2 but with different graphics.

I'm still undecided about whether or not I am going to buy it but I got to level 8 today and just was completely bored out of my mind.

Anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• ChievousChievous Member Posts: 5
    No.  It should be free-to-play, like any other mind-numbing themepark ferriswheel remake.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

I felt the same abut the game till probably level 5 , then i started to enjoy it. IMHO it's gonna be a game some will be bored of instantly and some will love it and some it will grow on.  Not gonna try and persuade you and say "you need to get here to enjoy it" because i don't know how it turns out later on but if the game genualy bores you and the thought of reaching 15 to try out the rest of the content doesn't motivate you, then i can  honestly say it might no be for you mate.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Chievous
    No.  It should be free-to-play, like any other mind-numbing themepark ferriswheel remake.

WIth that outlook it would make one wonder how much weight your opinion of themeparks would carry. Apparently not very much, I would also wonder how you'd know the actual quality of an individual themepark. You obviously have no interest in them, or like the base design.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Fenrisl1234Fenrisl1234 Member Posts: 39
    Trust me, the grinding starts at around level ~18. I have about 40 quests and each of them only award me 5% exp and they are mostly go kill this/ fedex type quest. Hope they do something about it.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Dedicate roles?  No tab target?  Raids and gear progression?  Quests rather than events... ok that's not a good thing...  but still felt nothing like gw2 other than the dodge mechanic... 

I understand people making comparisons to WoW but not gw2.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by reeereee

I understand people making comparisons to WoW but not gw2.

That's what I was thinking.  I don't even mean it as an insult because I actually like WoW a lot, but when I was watching a stream today on this very site (with some guy who swore a whole lot, can't remember the name), I actually thought it looked a helluva lot like the Barrens and he was saying it was not that fun "at level 10".  I didn't see any GW2 in it, but hey you've played it and I haven't, maybe you're right.

• ChievousChievous Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Distopia

WIth that outlook it would make one wonder how much weight your opinion of themeparks would carry. Apparently not very much, I would also wonder how you'd know the actual quality of an individual themepark. You obviously have no interest in them, or like the base design.

[mod edit]  For the same reason most don't appreciate McDonalds as a nutritious meal, many don't appreciate chuck e cheese themepark multiplayer games as nutritious entertainment.

I was just answering the question the OP posed after having tried it.  That's all I did. Didn't mean to upset you.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

Thank-you, Captain Obvious.  For the same reason most don't appreciate McDonalds as a nutritious meal, many don't appreciate chuck e cheese themepark multiplayer games as nutritious entertainment.

I was just answering the question the OP posed after having tried it.  That's all I did. Didn't mean to upset you.

AH yes the canned "mcdonalds" response, I thought you'd use the poo comparison myself.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

I got to level 7 so far.  I am ambivalent about the game; on the one hand, as an explorer playing an explorer, I would be lying through my teeth if I said I wasn't having a spectacular time!  Some of the explorer quests I didn't even realize I was doing until I remembered to check the lil communicator thingy because I was just out following my curiosity.  The varied explorer things to do are amazing imo.

But I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't real concerned by the lack of weapon choice (I understand GW2 did this also, but mind you I never played that game) and the nature of a lot of the quests.  Very TERA-like.  I can already see the future grind, and while I don't mind long levels, I -do- mind what it takes to get them.  If the quests were more like the explorer quests I'd be ecstatic, but instead they're the standard Themepark-5.

So the game is amazingly fun for someone like me, starting out in it.  I can't say enough about how much fun I've had with a lot of quests and exploration (I even managed to spend 45 minutes walking and swimming to Celestalon, ending up on the south side of it with no idea how to get back to the portal or even where the portal was (because I never took the portal in the first place!)), but the replayability makes me concerned.  I'm interested in hearing developer intents for future ideas to address that, because I really want to love this game...even though I only entered the beta because I heard there was a key available.  I haven't even followed this, so I didn't know what I was getting into.  Also, side note...LOVE the art/graphics.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Originally posted by Charlie12202

This is my first WildStar beta and I have been following this game for a long time so when I finally got a beta key I was ecstatic!

I'm still undecided about whether or not I am going to buy it but I got to level 8 today and just was completely bored out of my mind.

It's far from GW2 - keep playing - you'll see. Plus try out all of the classes to find one that fits you. My personal favorite is the Medic, but I also like the Warrior, Stalker, and Engineer.  

Another tip is - try very hard not to solo quest - adding at least one more person makes a world of difference. Wildstar isn't very forgiving, if you go it alone it's going to be more difficult then you're probably used to with other mmorpg's, don't let challenge discourage you.

Good Luck Charlie!!!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I'm Level 20 and i cant find much motivation to level after reaching the required lvl for Storm Talon. Then again i'm not a huge themepark fan and the only qualities i could see for staying would be their raiding, But like i said gear treadmills are bad..

I was gona push myself and really try and getinto pvp but that just turned into a spam fest with colors everywhere. I mean seriously it gets to the stage where you cant stand anywhere without taking damage and you continuously hit finishers with fillers in between get the most damage out until you die.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Yep - this WAS one of my big MMO's to watch for in 2014.  Finally got into some weekend beta's and bored out of my mind seeing how dumbed down it was to go along with the grind.  It is a horrible grind.  This has now changed from one of my picks of 2014 to honestly I think it might very well be the "Biggest  Flop of 2014".

The reason it might end up the biggest flop is how much the devs touted how much different it was what they were doing and yet it is not.  The paths were hyped up big time by the devs and how unique/great they were.  The explorer path was one I was excited about and then the first Explorer path quest I have to jump up some appearing blocks to get up to the top of some satellite or something - COMPLETE letdown and just another 100% themepark quest.  Nothing new and unique like they stated.

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by Nitth

I'm Level 20 and i cant find much motivation to level after reaching the required lvl for Storm Talon. Then again i'm not a huge themepark fan and the only qualities i could see for staying would be their raiding, But like i said gear treadmills are bad..

I was gona push myself and really try and getinto pvp but that just turned into a spam fest with colors everywhere. I mean seriously it gets to the stage where you cant stand anywhere without taking damage and you continuously hit finishers with fillers in between get the most damage out until you die.

So you got to level 20, but the games beta is restricted to level 17? Yeah I sense a troll here. Also to the OP: This game is nothing like GW2 that tried to reinvent the wheel and spread themselves too thin. They launched before they were ready, and refuse to offer any substantial additional content, GW2 is not even remotely close to what it could have been.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    If I was playing for the solo quests I would probably be less interested. PvP and group content is where this game really shines.
  • SolarRainSolarRain Member UncommonPosts: 32

This is my first beta too. Had to logout from the game after level 6. The starting zone/quests were awful (exile), but I already knew this from other reports, so I rushed through that as fast as possible. It definitely gets a lot better after the tutorial shit is done with, but that's not saying much.

This hub-based linear themepark quest grinding in this game is THE worst I've ever experienced. WoW could get away with this because of really well done design of the areas in which you were questing, NPCs, objectives etc were fairly nicely spread out (at least in vanilla WoW's starting zones). Here it feels tightly packed into really small areas around the quest NPCs, many of the quests I had at level 6 were like 20ft away.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Pretty much everyone who had played the beta except for the people who like WoW, literally. 

Originally posted by SolarRain

This is my first beta too. Had to logout from the game after level 6. The starting zone/quests were awful (exile), but I already knew this from other reports, so I rushed through that as fast as possible. It definitely gets a lot better after the tutorial shit is done with, but that's not saying much.

This hub-based linear themepark quest grinding in this game is THE worst I've ever experienced. WoW could get away with this because of really well done design of the areas in which you were questing, NPCs, objectives etc were fairly nicely spread out (at least in vanilla WoW's starting zones). Here it feels tightly packed into really small areas around the quest NPCs, many of the quests I had at level 6 were like 20ft away.

This kind of rhetoric needs to stop. You said you did research, and you know you obviously don't like "themeparks, or hub based games" and then you try WildStar anyhow and come here and complain. The quests in this game offer variety and fun. The plot is well done, and the characters are lively and entertaining. And if you think everything is tightly packed you have not left the starting story area(even though you say you have). The game, like most games start slower and get better and more deep as you go on.

This game was not made for people like you and therefore you should just move along. It just seems like you wanted to find fault with the game. The devs have worked to make this game fun, but what most may find fun there will always be those who don't.

Originally posted by MorningStarGG

So you got to level 20, but the games beta is restricted to level 17? Yeah I sense a troll here. Also to the OP: This game is nothing like GW2 that tried to reinvent the wheel and spread themselves too thin. They launched before they were ready, and refuse to offer any substantial additional content, GW2 is not even remotely close to what it could have been.

Remember other closed betas? The ones that people can play more then 17 levels?

Level cap got raised to 50 etc etc so stop accusing everyone of troll when you don't even know the facts

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/8221/WildStar-A-Signal-of-the-Final-Stages-of-Development.html

I was under the impression those would not be in this beta. I stand corrected. However it is more than obvious the person does not like "themepark" games. They even admit it, yet they try a game which is unashamedly and unapologetically a "themepark" game. I just don't understand why people do that...

I was under the impression those would not be in this beta. I stand corrected. However it is more than obvious the person does not like "themepark" games. They even admit it, yet they try a game which is unashamedly and unapologetically a "themepark" game. I just don't understand why people do that...

Your right about the fact that if you don't like "Thempark/Quest hub" why even bother trying any Themepark game...

Originally posted by Charlie12202 This is my first WildStar beta and I have been following this game for a long time so when I finally got a beta key I was ecstatic!    Sadly, I feel like it's Guild Wars 2 but with different graphics.   I'm still undecided about whether or not I am going to buy it but I got to level 8 today and just was completely bored out of my mind.   Anyone else feel this way?  
      I'm Level 20 and i cant find much motivation to level after reaching the required lvl for Storm Talon. Then again i'm not a huge themepark fan and the only qualities i could see for staying would be their raiding, But like i said gear treadmills are bad.. I was gona push myself and really try and getinto pvp but that just turned into a spam fest with colors everywhere. I mean seriously it gets to the stage where you cant stand anywhere without taking damage and you continuously hit finishers with fillers in between get the most damage out until you die.

.... there have been 3 beta weekends, they only applied the capped this weekend.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    They should have let new players get to 20, the dungeons are in a far better state than the solo quests.

Don't try to discredit me, My observations are still valid.

I was actually hyped for wildstar for awhile, And i don't outright hate themeparks i just said i was not a huge fan. (look at my profile ive played a fair few and enjoyed them). But like others have said, they were preaching that they were going to be different. they arnt.

Its not like i sit there and play it while going "this is utter crap", I actually have fun while i play. However I'm just saying looking at the long term I dont think i could sub and keep going.

Don't try to discredit me, My observations are still valid.

I was actually hyped for wildstar for awhile, And i don't outright hate themeparks (look at my profile ive played a fair few). But like others have said, they were preaching that they were going to be different. they arnt.

Its not like i sit there and play it while going "this is utter crap", I actually have fun while i play. However I'm just saying looking at the long term I dont think i could sub and keep going.

You clearly don't like "themeparks", you discredit yourself. They are doing "themepark" things in new, or alternative ways, while adding a lot to the experience. However, if you don't like "themeparks" you won't appreciate, or enjoy those things anyhow. Fun is fun. They aim for fun, not openness you clearly want an open-world, open-ended MMO and clearly this was never meant to appeal to you. I don't care how many "themeparks" you play, chances are you hate one you will hate them all.

you clearly want an open-world, open-ended MMO and clearly this was never meant to appeal to you. I don't care how many "themeparks" you play, chances are you hate one you will hate them all.

WOW... Guess you know me better than i know my self?
    When did i ever say i hate themeparks?, I said i'm not overly keen on them.

It doesn't actually matter what you say though, I know what i like to play, wildstar is fun to play. But i have certain issues with it.