Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best solo play in a mmorpg

spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

First off, sometimes solo is inevitably in mmorpgs so I may as well ask this question.

And to this question everyone's going to say WoW and I'm going to say no. Why? because the solo in WoW and many mmorpgs is not very skilled. It's formulaic. Whicb button can I press now versus brain dead mob? You know what I mean.

So which brings forward what content is good, or challenging as solo.

-solo instance.
-varied gameplay, you have varied numbers of mobs.
-maybe advanced strategies, the old Everquest involved quad-kiting, or Feign death splitting of mobs, or fear-kiting etc. (still formulaic though)

I've just thought of some creative ideas for solo maybe it would be more interesting solo- player vs mob there's a combo and competition who lands the first near-death blow. With then just a minor blow to finish.
Or player+mob both have blueprints on them, how they will finish the enemy in the front of them(player or mob). So the competition is dastardly enough to manage to steal first.

I don't know. But yes here's thread, suggestions of what mmorpgs have decent soloing, and creative ideas for soloing too to make a cool thread.

Comments

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

Age of Conan for sure

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Swtor and it looks like eso is shaping up well for the solo mmorpg experience. They both use alot of voice over , that doesn't work unless you're playing solo. Normally groups don't want to wait on each other. I would say if you go eso though you might as well just play Skyrim. If you go swtor it's free, eso is charging an arm and a leg for a very mediocre game. Skyrim is a flat fee and you can get it cheap and play your heart out on your own time.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

best soloing MMO evar,you cant start your soloing career from lvl 1 like Master Stexer did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3ZZGccgek

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by PAL-18

best soloing MMO evar,you cant start your soloing career from lvl 1 like Master Stexer did!

i would say Swtor

Originally posted by heider89

i would say Swtor

I like Swtors combat ,i really do,but their attribute / skill adjusting system is hmm should i say ,it just does not exist.

This guy right here is soloing instance at lvl 1 ,this instance back then was made for groups of lvl 10-24 ,if i remember correctly.

But for soloers who want to take everything into consideration,this was the Han Solo.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

didnt play swtor, out of games i played i would say proly gw2, with personal story "instances"

edit: as far as "which game i can do solo the most of the group instances" i would say for sure shadowknight play in eq2 with healer mercenary for later instances :)

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

as for as solo experiences go I would have to say SWTOR is the best solo leveling, with its massive voice work and getting to pick good and bad choices for each quest its a very solid single player experience until max level HOWEVER..

If you want a good single player experience the game for you is about to launch.. ESO  great voice work good quest experience and all doable solo for tons of content.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

the secret world has among the best solo play there is in the mmo world. i hardly ever did any grouping in it aside from checking out the dungeons and the pvp wich is'nt required at all to play through the content.

the story is amazing and addictive.. probably the only game so far that i've actually done all the quests in.  

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Preferably Skyrim, you dont need to pay $15 if you dont have to.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by zzax

Skyrim is too much walking for me. I prefer Witcher 2, or D3.

Diablo 3 .. not a MMO, but close enough for me.

Marvel Heroes ... essentially diablo with marvel characters. Most of the game is instances and solo-able, with a few public zones that you can easily ignore.

Star Trek Online ... decent solo story content. The ship combat is fun, but the ground combat is sub-par compared to most 3rd person action game.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Marvel Heroes ... essentially diablo with marvel characters. Most of the game is instances and solo-able, with a few public zones that you can easily ignore.

Star Trek Online ... decent solo story content. The ship combat is fun, but the ground combat is sub-par compared to most 3rd person action game.

Single player game soloing is not counted as the "soloing",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i think :p.

I have heard that STO space combat is great ,some of my friends says that its actually great!

Single player game soloing is not counted as the "soloing",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i think :p.

I have heard that STO space combat is great ,some of my friends says that its actually great!

*That* i don't understand. Soloing is soloing. The game genre is irrelevant.

Yes, STO space combat is pretty good .. that is why i still play the game sometimes (and that i still have lots of content to burn through). It has to wait though. RoS is being released next week, and the new version of D3 is very fun.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Originally posted by PAL-18 Single player game soloing is not counted as the "soloing",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i think :p. I have heard that STO space combat is great ,some of my friends says that its actually great!
    *That* i don't understand. Soloing is soloing. The game genre is irrelevant. Yes, STO space combat is pretty good .. that is why i still play the game sometimes (and that i still have lots of content to burn through). It has to wait though. RoS is being released next week, and the new version of D3 is very fun.  
    No, single-player games are definitely not the same as soloing in an MMO. The experience is different because of the presence or absence of other players. Even when you are soloing in an MMO you are still interacting with other players, just by seeing them going about their business, talking in the chat channels, and buying and selling in the auctionhouse. 

Of all the MMOs I've played, Maplestory was probably the best for soloing, though it's not exactly a deep MMO.  Wizard101 wasn't bad, but the pet-breeding system and the top level boss battles can't be done solo. I haven't encountered any more traditional/standard MMORPGs that were more than mediocre at supporting their solo players.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

GW2 ain't bad for solo play... Filling in all the crap on the maps, and getting achievements.

D3 ain't bad especially with the loot 2.0 thing they have in there... The flood gates will likely open up next Tuesday when the Expansion hits... However you are limited to 4 players in a group (including yourself) Really just fast food gaming... bits and pieces at a time... long play sessions tend to get very tedious unless you are trying to achieve a particular goal.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Originally posted by sunandshadow

No, single-player games are definitely not the same as soloing in an MMO. The experience is different because of the presence or absence of other players. Even when you are soloing in an MMO you are still interacting with other players, just by seeing them going about their business, talking in the chat channels, and buying and selling in the auctionhouse. 

Not when you are in an instance dungeon solo-ing .. there is no interaction with anyone ... except the chat channel.

But that is not a MMO feature. I can chat with anyone in diablo, hearthstone, and SC2, even across game.

QuakeLive then. You can get from one side of zone to the other in less than 30seconds (usually).

Playing it myself when I'm bored. Non-stop action, best MMO.

QuakeLive then. You can get from one side of zone to the other in less than 30seconds (usually).

Playing it myself when I'm bored. Non-stop action, best MMO.

I don't play pvp fps. That is also why i prefer D3 and witcher 2. Pure pve, little walking/waiting required. Just jump in and play.

Not when you are in an instance dungeon solo-ing .. there is no interaction with anyone ... except the chat channel.

But that is not a MMO feature. I can chat with anyone in diablo, hearthstone, and SC2, even across game.

Chatting is a really important part of making a player feel like they are really inside an MMO's virtual world.  The ability to chat with other players playing the same game is unfortunately not a feature of most single-player games, nor easy to DIY because of the difficulty of locating other people playing the same game at the same time.  Other than that big issue I agree that two people playing the same single-player game while chatting are basically equivalent to two people in different parts of an MMO world chatting.  I don't think chatting to someone playing a different game is comparable though; it's qualitatively different because the main topic of chatting is supposed to be the game, and if you're not playing the same game you have to talk about something else, usually damaging your immersion in the game.  Like the chat thing on Kongregate - it auto-groups people who aren't playing the same game, and they try to talk to each other about what they're currently playing and fail to be able to.

Aside from that, soloing instanced dungeons only accounts for a small percentage of time spent in most MMOs.  Usually the player has to go back to town as soon as they complete the dungeon too, to sell loot and restock potions &etc.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Chatting is a really important part of making a player feel like they are really inside an MMO's virtual world.  The ability to chat with other players playing the same game is unfortunately not a feature of most single-player games, nor easy to DIY because of the difficulty of locating other people playing the same game at the same time. 

Solo players are soloing for reason, they dont chat, simply. I havent ever met soloer that wanted to chat by himself.

We are just slowing them down (according to them), stealing their mobs, resources, basically wasting their time.

So my question is, why do they bother with online games at all? Why are they destroying our genre when they have games like Skyrim, an perfect sandbox MMO for them. They can pretend that NPCs are player, and gogo: solo.

Chatting is a really important part of making a player feel like they are really inside an MMO's virtual world.  The ability to chat with other players playing the same game is unfortunately not a feature of most single-player games, nor easy to DIY because of the difficulty of locating other people playing the same game at the same time. 

Solo players are soloing for reason, they dont chat, simply. I havent ever met soloer that wanted to chat by himself.

We are just slowing them down (according to them), stealing their mobs, resources, basically wasting their time.

So my question is, why do they bother with online games at all? Why are they destroying our genre when they have games like Skyrim, an perfect sandbox MMO for them. They can pretend that NPCs are player, and gogo: solo.

I am a solo player. >_>  Solo players are not destroying your genre, don't be an asshat.  Solo players like MMOs for several reasons (which have probably already been discussed as nauseam in the old Group Play vs. Solo Play thread pinned at the top of the Pub).  Accomplishing something by yourself is great, but you also want others to be able to see your accomplishments when you are done with them.  There's no point building architecture unless there's someone to look at it, and no point assembling the most stylish outfit ever unless there's someone to look at it, and having earned a high level pays off when you can impress a newbie here or there, and putting lots of time into crafting pays off when you are the only person on the server who can supply the population with this or that piece of gear.

Very good question.

Here is my answer:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5903519/thread/393247#5903519

And i think you are confused. I don't really care that much about "your genre". But if devs want a piece of my time, and cater to solo or SP experiences, there is no reason not to give them a chance.

You can blame them. If they have not made MMOs more like solo games, i would not have come back to the "genre" (and of course the term is used loosely now) at all.

And oh .. it is not "your" genre. You vote of your wallet is just as good as the other millions and millions of people in the market.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    To simplify his answer, they play mmos because they are a large audience that designers that what to produce MMOS have also considered valuable for profit, and consequently they consume the content that's built around wheeling them in.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Deivos
    To simplify his answer, they play mmos because they are a large audience that designers that what to produce MMOS have also considered valuable for profit, and consequently they consume the content that's built around wheeling them in.

Of course. Isn't that what happen to all types of games?

Devs are catering to what the target audience wants because they can easily choose to play something else.

For example, i like the panther style of stealth play (sneak around and kill everyone instead of just be unseen like a ghost). Many stealth game supports that now because it is a popular type of play. I wouldn't have played as many stealth games if they only support the ghost kind of play.

MMOs are not the only games adapting to their audience.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Well yes, that was rather my point.

Devs want money, so they are just looking to make their game cater to the largest audience possible, even if it doesn't entirely make sense.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

This discussion has been closed.