Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG, Consider me sold. A PvE option in a Sandbox MMO

2»

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Alalala
    Originally posted by JC-Smith

You are mistaken. There is no PvE option in the repooultion. The nation building areas, which make up 2/3 of the land mass, are forced PvP areas even on the normal server. These areas also contain the highest concentration of the best mats and may be the only place you can go to get certain mats. If you want to experience the full game, you will be forced to PvP. Their system is no different than EvE in this regard.

This is not completely correct. There are no PvP only materials, though resource spawners in contested areas do have higher concentrations of materials and are intended to be hotspots for PvP activity (protecting your nodes). The full compliment of tiers and PvE content is available in each of the factions protected zones, which each make up 1/3 of the landmass. The other third is primarily contested/nation building areas with some parts of it also being protected for all players in a couple major Rogue cities.

The only thing a player who does not want to venture into contested territory would miss out on is the player created city and associated siege aspects. You can partake in everything else (other than PvP of course) without ever stepping foot into contested soil if you wish. And the protected areas themselves are good sized. There's over 64km to explore there.

Repop encourages players to venture into contested territory. You don't have much to lose. But if a player simply hates PvP they can avoid it completely.

Thank you for these clarifications.  Up to this point in the thread, the information given out by some of the posters sounded like PvE would a tiny part ( > 35%) of the game, and gear / crafting / leveling would be extremely restrained.

Unfortunately i disagree, either the server is PvE with Optional PvP, or its just a PvP server. At the moment it doesn't sound any different to DF;UW in that there are safe areas, and there are PvP areas, with the majority of the 'map' being PvP flagged. If a game forces the player to be flagged for PvP, that it is not in fact a voluntary option, then it is by default, a PvP server, and no amount of prevarication can really change that.image

The difference is that they set the game up on the normal server to allow you to participate in only PvE unless you want to own a player city, which for politics to matter, needs to be in area where PvP is forced. But I agree with you, its not a PvE serve, but its also not a PvP server either. The closest equilivant is probably games like ESO and GW2.

Ok I´ve read the developer infos now.

Back to condition green. OP is completely misleading, there are NO PvE servers.

There is a "normal" and a "hardcore" ruleset. Both have PvP as an integral part of the game design.

Normal ruleset is a bit toned down (core safe areas) but still passes the sandbox MMO compliance test.

"The Repopulation has been built around the notion of including two ruleset servers. The standard ruleset utilizes an Active and Reserve military system. All players begin their careers as Reservists. This means that they can only attack enemy players in Contested territories. PvP is an optional, but encouraged activity. Nations will be able to build cities in contested regions, and to besiege the cities of their enemies. Contested areas include a high percentage of PvP oriented activities such as engagements and missions which pit the factions against one another."

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    I feel a great disturbance in The Grief! As if a million Goonies had all cried out at once!... ^^  I may have to check this game out, when it launches.

can´t you just stay with Wow or something.. more Wow-cloney?

I´d highly appreciate if sandbox MMOs are not turned into themepark MMOs for a quick buck off the casuals and safemoders.

btw, nice avatar carebear you got there fella.

Thanks. I find it saves misunderstandings... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329
    deleted
  • GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

You are mistaken. There is no PvE option in the repooultion. The nation building areas, which make up 2/3 of the land mass, are forced PvP areas even on the normal server. These areas also contain the highest concentration of the best mats and may be the only place you can go to get certain mats. If you want to experience the full game, you will be forced to PvP. Their system is no different than EvE in this regard.

This is not completely correct. There are no PvP only materials, though resource spawners in contested areas do have higher concentrations of materials and are intended to be hotspots for PvP activity (protecting your nodes). The full compliment of tiers and PvE content is available in each of the factions protected zones, which each make up 1/3 of the landmass. The other third is primarily contested/nation building areas with some parts of it also being protected for all players in a couple major Rogue cities.

The only thing a player who does not want to venture into contested territory would miss out on is the player created city and associated siege aspects. You can partake in everything else (other than PvP of course) without ever stepping foot into contested soil if you wish. And the protected areas themselves are good sized. There's over 64km to explore there.

Repop encourages players to venture into contested territory. You don't have much to lose. But if a player simply hates PvP they can avoid it completely.

Thank you for these clarifications.  Up to this point in the thread, the information given out by some of the posters sounded like PvE would a tiny part ( > 35%) of the game, and gear / crafting / leveling would be extremely restrained.

Unfortunately i disagree, either the server is PvE with Optional PvP, or its just a PvP server. At the moment it doesn't sound any different to DF;UW in that there are safe areas, and there are PvP areas, with the majority of the 'map' being PvP flagged. If a game forces the player to be flagged for PvP, that it is not in fact a voluntary option, then it is by default, a PvP server, and no amount of prevarication can really change that.image

The difference is that they set the game up on the normal server to allow you to participate in only PvE unless you want to own a player city, which for politics to matter, needs to be in area where PvP is forced. But I agree with you, its not a PvE serve, but its also not a PvP server either. The closest equilivant is probably games like ESO and GW2.

There is a "normal" and a "hardcore" ruleset. Both have PvP as an integral part of the game design.

Normal ruleset is a bit toned down (core safe areas) but still passes the sandbox MMO compliance test.

"The Repopulation has been built around the notion of including two ruleset servers. The standard ruleset utilizes an Active and Reserve military system. All players begin their careers as Reservists. This means that they can only attack enemy players in Contested territories. PvP is an optional, but encouraged activity. Nations will be able to build cities in contested regions, and to besiege the cities of their enemies. Contested areas include a high percentage of PvP oriented activities such as engagements and missions which pit the factions against one another."

There's no player looting in PVP zones on the normal server tho, so it's basically a WoW PVP server. But all in also SWG was a PVE centered sandbox.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Gintoh

There's no player looting in PVP zones on the normal server tho, so it's basically a WoW PVP server. But all in also SWG was a PVE centered sandbox.

No, because on a WoW PvP server PvP could happen anywhere in the world, it was just faction locked.  The normal server has a giant safe zone where you can litterally do everything you want from a PvE perspective, it will just take longer to get resources. A smaller faction forced PvP area where the factions compete over land and you CAN flag yourself for FFA PvP. And an area about as large as the PvE safe area with harder monsters, territory control, and higher concentration of the best resources and mobs in the game for people to compete over.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• a63ntorangea63ntorange Member Posts: 26

Anyone can answer me this, what is the death penalty or Risk VS reward mechanic for the normal ruleset? I see there is no looting from that graphic, well.... If isnt looted and or discarded and damaged etc, and the best stuff is player made, wont this completely destroy the player economy in short order?   The pvp ruleset looks legit, but man I get tired of the no lifer basement dwellers griefing for the hell of it constantly.  That ruleset usually ends up with a community like Seatribe games and mortal online have.  Scum of the earth and a year later, just 100 dudes and some alts are playing the server.   Thanks.

And before anyone spouts off it worked in pre t2a UO, well back then the average player was an adult,  and we didn't waste our bandwidth back then just to troll people. There were still griefers sure, but the majority of the playerbase was relatively chill and the term griefer, and troll etc hadn't really even developed yet, outside of AOL chatrooms and compuserve BBS.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

The result is pretty easy to predict.  

The PvE crowd will be be easily bored and cry out for content forcing the company to focus on creating content and thereby turning the game into a full fledged themepark.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

There is no such thing as a PVE sandbox just as much as there is no such thing as a PVP sandbox because a sandbox includes both by definition (it allows the greatest amount of freedom to the player and yes this includes being a toxic jackass that corpse camps if he so chooses just as much as it includes you having the option of pretty much deciding to make it a long term goal of yours to grief the guy out of the game later on once he forget all about you, vengeance is a dish best served cold of course).

People need to stop demanding PVE sandboxes or PVP sandboxes and just demand sandboxes where their actions have consequences which may be harsh or they may not depending on how many people they pissed off.

Note: I will be giving Repop a solid try and it, Gloria Victis and now Perpetuum Online (shifting over on the 2nd next month to B2P = finally an EVE-like game without the guilt of not being able to play enough to get your money's worth) well likely be my be all end alls for the foreseeable future with EVE-Online and the inevitable exploration expansion waiting in the wings too... tis good to be a F2P/B2P supporter and a real sandbox player :).

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Dihoru

There is no such thing as a PVE sandbox just as much as there is no such thing as a PVP sandbox because a sandbox includes both by definition (it allows the greatest amount of freedom to the player and yes this includes being a toxic jackass that corpse camps if he so chooses just as much as it includes you having the option of pretty much deciding to make it a long term goal of yours to grief the guy out of the game later on once he forget all about you, vengeance is a dish best served cold of course).

People need to stop demanding PVE sandboxes or PVP sandboxes and just demand sandboxes where their actions have consequences which may be harsh or they may not depending on how many people they pissed off.

Note: I will be giving Repop a solid try and it, Gloria Victis and now Perpetuum Online (shifting over on the 2nd next month to B2P = finally an EVE-like game without the guilt of not being able to play enough to get your money's worth) well likely be my be all end alls for the foreseeable future with EVE-Online and the inevitable exploration expansion waiting in the wings too... tis good to be a F2P/B2P supporter and a real sandbox player :).

minecraft with PvP disabled.. . . . . . if thats not a PvE sandbox i dont know what is.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Originally posted by Squeak69

minecraft with PvP disabled.. . . . . . if thats not a PvE sandbox i dont know what is.

PVP disabled in minecraft = single player because in any multiplayer server you will still be competing for resources, if not in creative mode, and bragging rights, to a degree, if you so choose.

Any interaction with another player can be PVP in the non-combat sense as well as the combat one (take an example from EVE: High sec exploring and trying to steal the faction spawn of someone running a good site, this may seem like a douche move but it is in essence a PVP interaction without combat involved between the two players) though I kinda like drawing a line in terms of PVP in this case at the point where the two players, or groups of players, need to be at least aware of each other.

A creative MP game like minecraft or a MMO almost always have PVP in them in one way or another (Hell most people won't recognize that ESO has two major facets of PVP: cyrodil and crafting).

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

PVP disabled in minecraft = single player because in any multiplayer server you will still be competing for resources, if not in creative mode, and bragging rights, to a degree, if you so choose.

Any interaction with another player can be PVP in the non-combat sense as well as the combat one (take an example from EVE: High sec exploring and trying to steal the faction spawn of someone running a good site, this may seem like a douche move but it is in essence a PVP interaction without combat involved between the two players) though I kinda like drawing a line in terms of PVP in this case at the point where the two players, or groups of players, need to be at least aware of each other.

A creative MP game like minecraft or a MMO almost always have PVP in them in one way or another (Hell most people won't recognize that ESO has two major facets of PVP: cyrodil and crafting).

Stop quibbling over definitions.  PvP means combat.  Disable the combat and for many people the issues go away.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Also, someone please show me this definition of sandbox that you are using.  Did you come up with it from anything other than what's in your head?  If so, it's not a definition, it's just what you want a sandbox to be.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Stop quibbling over definitions.  PvP means combat.  Disable the combat and for many people the issues go away.

I am not, I've always stated PVP is any interaction between players of a competitive nature and if those many people want a non-PVP MMO then they want a game which they will abandon within 3-4 months.

A sandbox game offers the greatest degree of freedom to the greatest amount of players regardless of their desired play styles in each case. This includes PVE and PVP and if we're at it strip the combat requirements from PVE as well, it should be quite simply player vs environment not player vs monsters or innocent wildlife (that's just a part of PVE, for example another part could be choosing to clear a forest with friend to build a castle, the task itself will take time and may possibly attract the attention of other creatures who call the forest home).

I am not, I've always stated PVP is any interaction between players of a competitive nature and if those many people want a non-PVP MMO then they want a game which they will abandon within 3-4 months.

This is a moot point because the game is going to have PvP, but when people say there is no PvP, or a game is PvE centered, then that means that the combat between players is turned off or optional.  You are using your definition of any competitive interactions between players.  You're quibbling over the definition, using the definition in your head instead of the defition being used in the discussion.

This is a moot point because the game is going to have PvP, but when people say there is no PvP, or a game is PvE centered, then that means that the combat between players is turned off or optional.  You are using your definition of any competitive interactions between players.  You're quibbling over the definition, using the definition in your head instead of the defition being used in the discussion.

Not my issue if the definition used in the discussion is patently wrong (not the first time this happens btw).

You can continue talking if you want but even WoW has unrestricted PVP on the top level in terms of server firsts so to demand a game without one form of PVP interaction is kinda ok but if you want a game without any PVP interaction you really should check out something like Terraria or Minecraft SP.

Also as for sandbox definition check my edited reply before this one.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I feel a great disturbance in The Grief! As if a million Goonies had all cried out at once!... ^^  I may have to check this game out, when it launches.

Awesome one image

Originally posted by Po_gg

Awesome one image

Goons will just blue circle the unrestricted PVP zones on the normal servers and if balance is anything like in EVE between the zones then it will be a pain in the ass to be a crafter or higher level PVE-er in the safezones.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by a63ntorange

Anyone can answer me this, what is the death penalty or Risk VS reward mechanic for the normal ruleset? I see there is no looting from that graphic, well.... If isnt looted and or discarded and damaged etc, and the best stuff is player made, wont this completely destroy the player economy in short order?   The pvp ruleset looks legit, but man I get tired of the no lifer basement dwellers griefing for the hell of it constantly.  That ruleset usually ends up with a community like Seatribe games and mortal online have.  Scum of the earth and a year later, just 100 dudes and some alts are playing the server.   Thanks.

And before anyone spouts off it worked in pre t2a UO, well back then the average player was an adult,  and we didn't waste our bandwidth back then just to troll people. There were still griefers sure, but the majority of the playerbase was relatively chill and the term griefer, and troll etc hadn't really even developed yet, outside of AOL chatrooms and compuserve BBS.

Gear degrades upon death in both the PvE and PvP server. We can only hope that the Gear degrade on death on the normal server is harsh enough to make the economy work.

But you are wrong about what becomes of hardcore rule servers. EvE only has a hardcore rule server and its is thriving. The reason MO and Seatribe (HnH) ended up the way they did is because of bugs and small communities to begin with.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I hope there is real pve on pvp servers.  Nothing more fun than pvping over pve rewards.  To this day, EQ pvp still reigns supreme in the dozen or so "PvP MMOs" simply by virtue of the fact that it actually had something fun and rewarding to fight over.  For some inexplicable reason, no one since has understood this, and wonder why their games lack scope and long term playability.

• Emmer4Emmer4 Member Posts: 29

I'm an SWG Pre CU vet and to me.....this game sounds extremely promising :)

Will be watching with interest as the game develops!!

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

http://lifeisfeudal.com will be staying true to the course but still offering valid playstyles for pve and of course the standard pvp that most sandboxes are comprised of.

These choices of pve only will just limit the possibilities for players that choose this route though.

I mean come on let's get real about pve players. Pve players scream about content in themeparkers so what in hell makes you think even remotely that sandboxes will offer anything even close to what these content locusts need.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Just going to say, this game has loads of potential and I truly hope it is realized.  I will be watching this title with great anticipation.